This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walt Disney World Memory Thread

I take a lot of photos of thic clock on Main Street, ever since the first time that I saw it back in 1997. This time, I actually had someone take my photo under the clock. You can see how early the park opened on this Early Morning.

To me, Early Morning means Fantasyland, and Fantasyland means Dumbo. I love this ride. Everytime I ride it, I remember my very first ride on it with my 4 year old grandson, back in 1997

This reminds me of a MiceChatter named TicTocDragon. He's changed his screen name, and doesn't post anymore. However, when I see this I think TicTocDragon. I sure do miss him. I love the Peter Pan ride. It is a must ride at Magic Kingdom.

Continuing on through Fantasyland, I usually ride It's A Small World, and I absolutely adore riding the Teacups. They are two of my all time favorites

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

I like the picture of you and Jiminy Cricket!! I have never seen him here at Disneyland...

Comment

Originally posted by my7dwarves View Post
        I like the picture of you and Jiminy Cricket!! I have never seen him here at Disneyland...
        The very first time that I saw the character of Jiminy Cricket,other than animated, was on a MiceChat Thread. It was about the brand new Parade of Dreams that was being featured for the 50th Anniversary. So, on the very first day that I entered Disneyland, I saw Jiminy on the Pinocchio float in that parade. I was elated.

It wasn't until this 2007 trip to Disney World, and Magic Kingdom that I saw Jiminy greeting park guests for autographs, and pictures. Like I say, "Wishes Do Come True". Mine finally did.

Perhaps some day, the character of Jiminy will appear at Disneyland, the same way he did for me at Magic Kingdom that day.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Love the thread, thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

I want to go on vacation with you, BA! It always looks like you have such a great time!

Oh, I noticed a picture of you on the bus....you were writing in a notebook. Do you take notes during vacation to keep up with everything?

Comment

I do try and take notes during my vacation when I happen to remember to. Sometimes, the days go by so quickly, that I forget. However, I do jot things down throughout my trip. The writing on the bus picture was me on the Magical Express Bus, I believe. Sometimes, when a line is longer than 20 minutes for an attraction, I take notes while I am waiting. Mostly, I keep a running list of the things that I have done, and any special moments that I can remember.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

I usually go from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland on Early Morning days.

I left the Magic Kingdom around 11 a.m. that day, because I was planning on eating lunch at the Contemporary Hotel. I took the monorail there. After eating, I went to the Contemporary Hotel bus stop to wait for a bus to Epcot. Now, you would think that I would know that there's no bus to Epcot from the Contemporary Hotel. You must take the monorail. I guess I wasted a lot of time waiting for that bus that was never coming. I finally figured out my mistake, and took the proper route over to Epcot.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

It did seem strange to see Space Ship Earth without the Mickey white glove, and wand attached, but there it was as I saw it that very first time in 1997.

I thought it was quite interesting how in some photos SSE is white, and in others it is that silvery gray. I really liked the Disney Character Topiaries that were decked out in Christmas finery.

The Epcot Christmas Tree was huge. It was really difficult to get the entire tree in the picture.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-05-2010, 07:18 PM.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                    I do try and take notes during my vacation when I happen to remember to. Sometimes, the days go by so quickly, that I forget. However, I do jot things down throughout my trip. The writing on the bus picture was me on the Magical Express Bus, I believe. Sometimes, when a line is longer than 20 minutes for an attraction, I take notes while I am waiting. Mostly, I keep a running list of the things that I have done, and any special moments that I can remember.
                    THAT is an awesome idea! I have a horrible memory. I know I have forgotten SO much from our past trips. I will do this next time we go! Thanks, BA

Comment

Each photo that I look at reminds me of a moment from my vacation. When I approached the World Showcase at Epcot, I decided that I would take a leisurely ride on the Friendship Boat.

Before our early dinner at the restaurant in the Mexico Pavillion, I had plenty of time to stroll around the World Showcase, and I met two favorite characters.

Actually, make that three. It was great meeting Belle in her blue dress.

Jennifer, and I ate at the San Angel Inn. The food was very good. I also rode the boat ride there that features Donald Duck. The lighting in this restaurant reminded me of the Blue Bayou at Disneyland.

The Candlelight Processional is one of those special events, where one should just put away their camera, and just get in the mood of it and enjoy. I took a few photos. Some pretty bad. A few O.K. I really enjoyed this, and I certainly understand the rave reviews.

I wanted to get my photo taken with Santa in the American Pavillion, but the timing just didn't work out, so I relaxed in Santa's chair instead.

We didn't stay for Illuminations that night, so instead I tried to get some good photos of night time at Epcot.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-07-2010, 09:08 AM.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

I find these two pictures amazing....The CoP has a FULL queue, while Peter Pan has no line. These pics were taken in February, 1976, while on a trip to WDW with my grandparents. They used to winter in Deerfield Beach (the next town below Boca Raton) and we (my younger sister and I) would fly from Maine to Florida to visit each February break. Sadly, not only are my grandparents gone, but so is my sister. Looking at my old photos of WDW are bittersweet. I'll post a few more over the next day or two and then my wife and two daughters (ages 19 and 17) along with their boyfriends are heading to the World on Wednesday (the 10th) for two weeks. Neither of the boys have been since they were 10 years old, so I'm looking forward to playing tour guide.
                        Attached Files
                        WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
                        Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,'10x3,'11x5,'12x4,'13x4,'14x 2
                        DL-
                        '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10,'14

Comment

Here are some more classic MK photos from the 70's. You can't see any of these in the MK anymore...although a version of the fife and drums do exist at the American Adventure in World Showcase.
                          Attached Files
                          WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
                          DL-

Comment

steve2wdw, Those photos are amazing. I thank you for sharing those here. Magic Kingdom was the only WDW park back then. My kids were not even teenagers, and a trip to Florida would have been out of the question for our family. I never made it to WDW until 1997. That's a lifetime after your pictures.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

While I'm on a roll, here are a few more....

These places still exist, but the beautiful large trees are gone.
                              Attached Files
                              DL-

Comment

The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea entrance queue and some retro Tomorrowland pics featuring the old TL entrance, the skyway, old Space Mt entrance (with my grandmother, seated in red) and my favorite old attraction, "if you had wings" presented by Eastern Airlines.
                                Attached Files
                                DL-

Comment

And finally...
                                  Big Thunder under construction (1979), the Diamond Horseshoe Revue with a huge line, Cindy's house from the middle of the hub, my favorite Fantasyland shot, and the mural of characters from the queue in the old Walt Disney Story on Main Street USA. I have hundreds of other pictures that I will scan in the future and add to this post along with some of the memories that went with them.

My first trip to WDW was in December of '73 during the oil crisis (I was 12) and our during our first day ever at the MK, there were only around 4000 in attendance. I remember a cast member at the turnstiles giving us that info, 'cause he said we basically had the park to ourselves. Although that was 37 years ago, I remember that he was right. It seemed as though we were the only people in the park. We had lunch in the Tomorrowland Terrace (now Cosmic Rays) and all seven dwarves were with us for the better part of an hour. My sister and I were the only kids around, so they stayed with us for what seemed like forever. Sadly all our pictures were taken with a Polaroid camera and have not lasted the test of time.
                                  Thanks for starting this thread....I'll post some updates while in the "World" these next two weeks, then will resume the scanning when I get home. Later!!!!
                                  Attached Files
                                  DL-

Comment

Originally posted by steve2wdw View Post
                                    And finally...
                                    Big Thunder under construction (1979), the Diamond Horseshoe Revue with a huge line, Cindy's house from the middle of the hub, my favorite Fantasyland shot, and the mural of characters from the queue in the old Walt Disney Story on Main Street USA. I have hundreds of other pictures that I will scan in the future and add to this post along with some of the memories that went with them.

My first trip to WDW was in December of '73 during the oil crisis (I was 12) and our during our first day ever at the MK, there were only around 4000 in attendance. I remember a cast member at the turnstiles giving us that info, 'cause he said we basically had the park to ourselves. Although that was 37 years ago, I remember that he was right. It seemed as though we were the only people in the park. We had lunch in the Tomorrowland Terrace (now Cosmic Rays) and all seven dwarves were with us for the better part of an hour. My sister and I were the only kids around, so they stayed with us for what seemed like forever. Sadly all our pictures were taken with a Polaroid camera and have not lasted the test of time.
                                    Thanks for starting this thread....I'll post some updates while in the "World" these next two weeks, then will resume the scanning when I get home. Later!!!!
                                    Thanks for insight into a WDW that I have no memory of. I was a young married at that time. Magic Kingdom has probably seen many many changes throughout the years. I like seeing the way it was in it's earliest form. I look forward with delight in seeing more.
                                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

I really like visiting the Grand Floridian Hotel. I always make a point of going inside it on each of my Disney World trips. I have stayed there, only for a few nights, but it was really nice. Seeing it decorated up for Christmas was really special.

The inside of the hotel was wonderfully decorated. The Christmas tree was absolutely beautiful. I especially loved the Gingerbread House in the lobby.

The Garden View Lounge serves Afternoon Tea. I love making a priority seating for that. It gives me the chance to relax, and enjoy the yummy goodies served with the tea. The hotel has a beautiful lobby, and I especially love walking up that beautiful staircase.

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire," well not exactly, but the shown castmember let us sample some on our way out of the hotel. Very yummy.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-10-2010, 04:04 PM.
                                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Jennifer and I went to the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom. I took a lot of photos that night, especially of the castle. We got to see it snow on Main Street. The parade, and the fireworks are always things that I enjoy a lot, and the fireworks ran twice that night. We arrived early, while it was still light outside, and it's always really cool to see all the holiday lights go on.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-12-2010, 06:35 AM.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

I absolutely love palm trees. Florida has it's share of beautiful ones. I love taking pictures of them. Here are the ones that I took at Coronado Springs.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-12-2010, 04:45 PM.
                                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X