• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkbeer
    Darkbeer
    • Jan 2005

Re: Motley Fool's comments about WDW getting hurt by LEGOLAND/Harry Potter

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post

Yep, there are just as many Disney haters as there are lovers out there.
    I don't think that is fair.... There are probably MORE Disney fans then there are "haters"

Plus many folks that just love Theme Parks/Amusement Parks in general.

I know that I fall into that last catagory, even though I got some grief for folks who saw my news coverage of my wedding a couple of weeks ago at Knott's... To parapharase.... "Why didn't you get married at Disneyland?".... And yes, I did meet my lovely wife at Disneyland 5 years to THE DAY before the wedding at Disneyland, at a Noon Meet at the Hub. Proposed at HoJo's Anaheim, and announced it for the first time at the Noon Meet at the Hub, which was celebrating MiceChat's 4th Anniversary that weekend.

But Knott's has a REAL Church for weddings, which Disneyland doesn't offer. Plus the price. A Lot less expensive than what Disneyland wanted, (but we still spent 5 digits on the wedding, with help from our parents).

The "news" segment - MiceAge, which includes Al Lutz, Kevin Yee, and others (myself included) cover multiple parks and experences.... Not JUST Disney.

Just because you like/love Disney does NOT make you a hater towards other entertainment locations. (Alas, some folks do drink the Disney Kool-Aid).

I am looking forward to the following...

West Coast Bash in March

ACE Spring Preservation Conference in April... (Heck, stopped by the Giant Dipper in San Diego last night... Sigh it was closed

San Diego Area - 1/23/10 - Darkbeer's Photos

My Honeymoon in the North-East USA in June, which will cover many Theme/Amusement Parks, none of which are owned by Disney.

Proud to state I love to go to Disney, and MANY other Theme/Amusement Parks.... And looking forward to my Honeymoon at Cedar Point!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• wilwij
      New MiceChatter
      • Jan 2007

My wife and I were one of the first 2000 people to experience Islands of Adventure when it opened in 1999 (soft opening). The attractions were amazing and we continued to visit every year (along with WDW) until 2004. While visiting Universal in 2004, we witnessed a change in the mannerism of the guests. We witnessed smoking everywhere (including the queue), very provocative dress, unappropriate language and general unrulyness.

I am not bashing Universal, we love Universal and have even visited Universal in California.

From 2004 on, our yearly Orlando vacations have been WDW focused and we have not visited Universal since 2004.

With that said, Potter is exciting and we will visit Universal this year if Potter is open (last week in May). So yes, the addition of Potter is pulling us (two days at least) from our yearly WDW vacation.

Ron

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
        Seasick
        • Oct 2007

Personally, something like Harry Potter might entice me to return to Orlando (still planning on 2011, tentatively), but I'll stay in a Disney hotel and spend most of my time there.

Disney will reap the reward for Universal's spending, and will be able to continue to rest on their laurels.
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

• KevinYee
          • Jan 2005

Ron, we were probably in the park together! I happened to be there (while on vacation) on the very first day of soft opening for IOA. I got charged double admission - once for Uni, and again for IOA, but I was desperate to get in. It probably also kept down crowds... it felt to me like there were only a few hundred people in the park.
          Kevin Yee
          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
          Mouse Trap
          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

• JesterMn
            Functional & Decorative
            • Jul 2005

I'm a big Disney fan, but like Darkbeer, I like other parks, too. I've been to WDW many times and love it, but I'm considering a trip to Orlando that would include IOA, Universal, and Sea World, and skip WDW entirely. There's enough to do outside WDW to warrant a trip on it's own.
            Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

• kcnole
              • Mar 2006

The only way I could see these things truly hurting Disney is if all these disparate parks could somehow come up with a plan to team up and offer multi-day tickets that rival the costs of Disney's multi-day tickets. Imagine a 4 day-multi park ticket that allows access to Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, and Aquatica. That would come close to rivaling what Disney has to offer and I could see a number of people taking a vacation that covers everything in Orlando except Disney.

I don't really see Legoland hurting them too much though. To me its just too far away to make a huge impact.

Comment

• BC_DisneyGeek
                Seasick
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
                The only way I could see these things truly hurting Disney is if all these disparate parks could somehow come up with a plan to team up and offer multi-day tickets that rival the costs of Disney's multi-day tickets. Imagine a 4 day-multi park ticket that allows access to Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, and Aquatica. That would come close to rivaling what Disney has to offer and I could see a number of people taking a vacation that covers everything in Orlando except Disney.
                They really should do that. When I'm in Orlando I'll skip things like Universal and SeaWorld if I've been recently. The reason is that they charge more per day than Disney does with their park hoppers.

SeaWorld is a one-day park, Universal is two days. If the per-day ticket price was comparable to the per-day cost of Disney via a seven-day park hopper, I'd go. No way I'm paying full price for a day at SeaWorld, unless I've never been or it has been a significantly long time since my last visit.
                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

• kcnole
                  • Mar 2006

Who knows, now that Merlin Entertainment has a fairly large ownership stake in all those areas they may very well although I don't ever see them being able to sell a ticket that rivals the 7 day ticket. I could see a possible 4 day ticket that does however.

Comment

• BrerDan
                    MiceChatter
                    • Sep 2007

There is real potential that this could hurt Disney. Are people who would want to go to Disney going to choose Universal OVER Disney? Probably not--but they will likely cut their time in Disney short. Fewer days at Walt Disney World, using the extra time to explore the competition.

More importantly, since they will now be hitting parks outside of Disney--they are going to reconsider that pricey on-property WDW hotel and be more likely to choose someplace else. It's THIS change that could hurt Disney's profits. Let's face it, the extra $10 a day or less that they charge for another day's admission on the Magic Your Way ticket isn't going to impact their profit line--but the loss of that hotel stay--plus the profit on meals, snacks, and souveneirs. Ouch--that COULD hurt.

I still think it's a wait-and-see....nothing definite, but I think we're going to see Disney strategize with reasons for people to stay on property even more than they are reasons for them to come to the parks. Expect more "magic" like the virtual portholes on the Disney Cruise Line to be coming to hotel rooms very soon.....

Comment

• Thorpeedo
                      Occasional Reader
                      • Oct 2007

Harry potter has started advertising in the UK, It started on Saturday, but I only watched a prog I recorded today (TV Burp for those this side of the Water). Nothing much in terms of content, some wide shots that could well have copme from themovie, and Daniel Radcliffe commenting that people will be able to actually go to the places in the movie. Basically HP is coming. I think it said spring 2011.
                      Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

• aimster
                        Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

I'm a HUGE Disney fan and I live 90 minutes from WDW... yet I didn't set a foot in any of the parks last year. Why? Because I didn't want to. I had no desire to go to Disney (outside of Downtown Disney... mainly to eat at Earl of Sandwich and get ice cream at Ghiradelli). Instead I went to Busch Gardens a few times with my FL resident FunCard and even paid a visit to Universal for my birthday (yes I passed up the free birthday admission at WDW to visit Universal instead). I still have one day left on the 3 Day Play pass I bought 2 years ago (added the no expiration option) and I decided I'm going to hold onto it for as long as possible. Right now, nothing is making me want to go to any of the parks WDW (though bringing Captain EO back to EPCOT would be an incentive... *hint hint TDO suits*). I think this year I'll get another FunCard for Busch Gardens.

I can't wait for Legoland to open. The BF & I already made plans to check it out once it does.

Comment

• wilwij
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                          Ron, we were probably in the park together! I happened to be there (while on vacation) on the very first day of soft opening for IOA. I got charged double admission - once for Uni, and again for IOA, but I was desperate to get in. It probably also kept down crowds... it felt to me like there were only a few hundred people in the park.
                          Kevin,

Our first visit to Orlando was in 1999 and it was a vacation purchased through a travel agent who planned our entire vacation which included Universal Studios.

At the time, I had no idea there was an "Islands of Adventure" as we were theme park noobs.

My wife and I walked to the gate assuming it was the Studios only. The attendant stated they are currently "soft opening" the new Islands of Adventure and they were only letting 2000 people experience the Island until the official opening. We said "sure" (paid the extra fee of course) and were very impressed with the attractions that were operating. At that time, Spiderman was unlike anything I had ever seen.
                          As you said, I do remember feeling as though we were the only ones in the park.

Ron

Comment

• PAL
                            • Feb 2006

The only way I could see these things truly hurting Disney is if all these disparate parks could somehow come up with a plan to team up and offer multi-day tickets that rival the costs of Disney's multi-day tickets. Imagine a 4 day-multi park ticket that allows access to Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, and Aquatica
                            It already exists. A 14 day Orlando Flex Pass runs about $265. Adding Busch Tampa is maybe $30 more.

Comment

• kcnole
                              • Mar 2006

Its not heavily advertised if it exists. It'll have to be available on the different websites and advertised as heavily as the other tickets. I also think it needs to be a lot smaller size than a 14 day ticket.

Comment

• KevinYee
                                • Jan 2005

This is why, in my article on this, I suggested Blackstone would be smart to make it a 7-day pass (not 14), add Lego, and make it cost less (maybe $190). And they definitely need to advertise it better, especially on the websites of those parks participating.

I could then see people having a Disney-free vacation!
                                Kevin Yee
                                MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                                Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                                Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                                Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                                Mouse Trap
                                Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                                101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                                Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

Comment

• tloolgb
                                  Internet.Serious Business
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                                  I suggested Blackstone
                                  This is what I am confused by. Where does it say Blackstone will be taking a management role in Legoland?

Last fall where did it say they would be taking a management role in SeaWorld Parks & Resorts?

When did Blackstone ever take an active role in managing what it owns? It is a private investment group. It turns around bad properties to sell for profit. For strong properties, it invests, and expects an return on it's investment.

Merlin will still be Merlin. SeaWorld will still be SeaWorld. A successful Legoland doesn't help SeaWorld. Just like Blackstone's percentage ownership in Universal won't help SeaWorld. Universal still has their own Parks & Resorts division that needs to survive on it's own. Blackstone buying their debt doesn't mean Blackstone is creating a super theme park group.

Blackstone may "own all of them" but Merlin, and SeaWorld Parks & Resorts, and Universal Orlando are all concerned with their own growth, their own stability and their own investment returns (payments to Blackstone/Blackstone's cut). When Merlin goes public, it will need to worry about it's own shareholders. It does not concern itself with SeaWorld's (boy it was easier to call it BEC) needs, just as SeaWorld doesn't worry about Merlin giving a return to their shareholders.

Unless this all changed very recently, there is no plan of Blackstone acting as a management firm operating these all against Disney as one house of cards.

Their own website states "Blackstone Advisory Services provides advisory services along with a full spectrum of transaction execution capability in areas such as acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, divestitures, takeover defenses and restructuring/reorganization activities."

Day to day is left to Merlin, SeaWorld and Universal's actual owners/operators. Not Blackstone.

Comment

• gigasteve
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Apr 2009

Besides bundeling tickets, Disney also has an advantage in transportation at its resorts. The combination of Disney's Magical Express and the resorts bus system makes it a lot easier for guests to spend more time at Disney than going outside to other parks.

Likewise there is no equivalent resort transportation network for the other parks. Even if you book a package with Universal, you need to drive to SeaWorld and Leogland (which will be a bit of a hike from the rest of the attractions). I don't doubt that some people will want to explore these parks. However it will be difficult for guests already on Disney resorts and its also a bit of work for guests going for a completely non-Disney experience.

Comment

• martinp13
                                      New MiceChatter
                                      • Nov 2009

When I was researching SeaWorld tix for my Dec 2009 trip, I found all of the SeaWorld+Universal options. I wasn't interested, but they had a lot covered (although as gigasteve said, you still have to transport yourself to each place).

Linky to what I found on the SeaWorld site:
                                      SeaWorld Orlando Visiting Ticket Offers

Comment

• mark
                                        MC Blogger
                                        • Jan 2005

Mostly likely, Disney won't even mention Universal. The leader of the pack usually does not acknowledge the competition. That's the way it was when AT&T ruled telecommunications years ago (when I was an employee).

This is also why it took major guts for Bob Iger to acknowledge the failure of California Adventure. This dismal park opened nine years ago tomorrow. Its future may look bright but not yet.
                                        I'm sure a hundred blogs and websites will recognize the day (Hint, hint... ...)
                                        Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
                                        www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X