This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Animal Kingdom tips

I'm curious--how quickly does the queue for Kiliminjaro Safaris fill up? I understand wanting to see the animals in the morning, but does it make much of a difference if you get there an hour after opening? Are the animals already scarce, or the line significantly long then? I ask because I've only been once and am planning my next visit. In my mind I always thought it would make sense to hit either Dinosaur or Expedition Everest first and then head over to the Safaris...

Comment

In my experience, the animals do tend to be around much more in the early morning hours. As the day goes on they tend to hide more.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerDan View Post
        In my mind I always thought it would make sense to hit either Dinosaur or Expedition Everest first and then head over to the Safaris...
        According to Imagineer Scott, Expedition Everest rarely has consistently high wait times, and Dinosaur isn't too hard to do because it's so isolated. Out of the three headliners, Dinosaur is ranked as the easiest to do at the Animal Kingdom. So, I'd say one can make the Safari priority.

But, when my family went at the end of last August, we were on the Safari ride about and hour after opening (late start that morning,) and the line was very manageable. We even saw all the animals, except for the lions. But then again, that's not the busiest time of year, so the line might be an hour at other times of the year.
        -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

I have to disagree with the folks who have mentioned that Expedition Everest doesn't have high wait times. Whenever I've gone, the waits range from 45 - 60 minutes and the fast passes are gone by noon or 1pm. If it were me, I'd go early, and get a fast pass for Everest, then go over to the Safari. Hopefully, you'll be done on the safari long before you need to get back to Everest for your fast pass time. While you're over on that side of the park, I'd do It's Tough To Be a Bug - and get out your camera before you get in line. The line winds through the "roots" of the Tree of Life. You'll see some amazing stuff on this wait. Everywhere you look, there are animals carved into the tree. The whole thing is a work of art in my opinion. If you have time, check out Lion King. Once you've done Everest, hit Dinorama and Dinosaur! - also try to do the Primeval Whirl - not everyone likes this one but it's kind of cool - it reminds me of a carnival ride - actually, most of Dinoland reminds me of a carnival. While you're over there, I'd have a meal at Flame Tree BBQ - The food is really good and the setting is nice and relaxing - and they have the greatest fruit platter I've ever seen (or eaten). I'd try to fit in the Maharaja Jungle Trek and the Pagani Forest Exploration Trail. As far as shopping, I like Harambe. I find Animal Kingdom interesting because it looks like they literally picked up parts of Asia and Africa and transplanted them in central Florida. Someone else suggested that you be prepared to walk alot - I couldn't agree more- it's the largest of the 4 parks. I would also suggest a poncho in your bag, given that the last 3 times I've been there, it's rained - but that's probably just my foul luck. ;-)

Comment

Here's what works great for me. Right at park opening go straight to KS and get a FP. Then hightail it over to Everest, where the gate crowd crunch will be just diminishing and the line will be around 5 to 10 minutes - you can ride 3 or 4 times in a 1/2 an hour! Then go back to KS for your FP and skip that line. It's a bit of walking, but a lot of line skipping.

Comment

Much like other people have already said, do the safari first before anything else. The line for that can sometimes actually stretch to the real Africa later on in the day. Afterwards, grab a Fastpass for Everest and hit a couple of the animal exhibit walk-throughs.

And make sure to go see the fruit bats. They are AWESOME!
              "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
              1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Comment

The Kilimanjaro line will often be full by lunchtime, which means a wait of an hour or more.

Comment

If you are there at closing, that is also an excellent time to see lots of animals. They're offstage at night getting their Gnu Chow or Giraffe Chow and the like, and they know when that time approaches and start moving about. Having only ridden once, I have nothing to compare it to, but my brother said it was the most he's ever seen on the ride.

A bientot.
                  Remember
                  What the dormouse said
                  Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

I agree about going on the safari in the afternoon. We rode it twice in one day, once right after EE and once right before park close (5PM) There were sooooo many animals about in the afternoon. It also helped that it had started misting.

Don't forget to ride dinosaur!!! it's terrifyingly amazing. Don't discount the character line ups by The Lion king show- check and see if there are lines. When we were there, there were absolutely none!

We spent the whole day in AK (open to close) and the only thing we missed was the rapid ride. I recommend a touring plan (touringplans.com) for your whole trip, they really help!
                    ...I finally changed my avatar...

Comment

That makes a lot of sense, if a lot of walking! Thanks!

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                      Here's what works great for me. Right at park opening go straight to KS and get a FP. Then hightail it over to Everest, where the gate crowd crunch will be just diminishing and the line will be around 5 to 10 minutes - you can ride 3 or 4 times in a 1/2 an hour! Then go back to KS for your FP and skip that line. It's a bit of walking, but a lot of line skipping.

Comment

Yeah, it is a stretch. But if I can get in a ride on KS and 3 or 4 on Everest all before 10am, it's well worth it for me!

Comment

I echo the words of those before me; Flights of Wonder, Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo are all vastly different and well worth it.

If the park isn't incredibly busy, don't bother showing up way before showtime, see when the line heads in, and tag on the end. Everyone'll fit inside, and don't be afraid to head down front if you see space; they ask everyone to move all the way in anyway.
                          someday, when we are wiser,
                          when the world's older,
                          when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                          - Walt Disney

Comment

I love Rafiki's Planet Watch. The reason? The last two times that I was there, I got to meet Jiminy Cricket. Rafiki, and Pocahantas were also there. I enjoyed the train ride there, and it's a nice place to cool off in the middle of the day when it's really hot outside. I timed my latest trip there, while I was waiting for my fastpass time for Kilimanjaro, and they are close to each other.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

for a sit down meal I like the Tusker House, although I would prefer a short bus ride to Boma

Rides: do Everest, the Safari and Dinosaur with Primeval Whirl if you have the time.

Festival of the Lion King is amazing and a must. It is simply the best show in WDW

Make sure you save time to walk around the animal exhibits in Africa, Asia and around the Tree of Life. There is a small path behind the tree of life that no one ever sees or uses. Give it a shot
                              www.jamboeveryone.com
                              Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Don't mean the hi-jack your thread: but does anyone know how long it takes for the safari?

We did the "Give a Day" promotion, and were planning on using one of our vouchers for the fast pass at Animal Kingdom, that way we could do the safari a couple times.

Comment

Expect the entire Safari experience to take about 25 minutes.
                                  -Bill

Comment

Don't expect to get breakfast unless you are doing the character breakfast. As all have said - the earlier the better for the safari. We were there 3 weeks ago and went on the rainy day of our vaca - saw every single animal including the baby white rhino in the rhino building! We enjoyed it, but with the low season and rainy day, we did the whole thing including everest and dinosaur twice in four hours! It is a very fun interactive park for kids.
                                    Can't wait for May 2011!:yea:

Comment

You can generally get the park done in its entirety by about 1-2pm if you show up early for open and follow what most people have posted here. This gives you time to go back and nap or swim in the pool and then maybe go to another park in the afternoon. It may be the largest of the parks at WDW in terms of area, but there really isn't a ton of things to do and see. +1 for Flame Tree BBQ
                                      I have worked:
                                      T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                                      Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                                      Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Originally posted by saphron37 View Post
                                        Don't expect to get breakfast unless you are doing the character breakfast. As all have said - the earlier the better for the safari. We were there 3 weeks ago and went on the rainy day of our vaca - saw every single animal including the baby white rhino in the rhino building! We enjoyed it, but with the low season and rainy day, we did the whole thing including everest and dinosaur twice in four hours! It is a very fun interactive park for kids.
                                        Pizzafari has counter service breakfast and breakfast snacks. We took 2 days this trip and really looked around. It was great. We found the trail up to the Tree of Life and spent at least an hour on each of the animal trails. FotLK and FoW can be walked into on the back of the line, but Finding Nemo fills up early most of the time. At Nemo the best seats are in the row even with the end of the runway, back row of the front. The best seats for EE are in the back since the best part of this ride is backward on a reverse helix in the dark. It's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy'sno1fan View Post
                                          Pizzafari has counter service breakfast and breakfast snacks. We took 2 days this trip and really looked around. It was great. We found the trail up to the Tree of Life and spent at least an hour on each of the animal trails. FotLK and FoW can be walked into on the back of the line, but Finding Nemo fills up early most of the time. At Nemo the best seats are in the row even with the end of the runway, back row of the front. The best seats for EE are in the back since the best part of this ride is backward on a reverse helix in the dark. It's amazing.
                                          Here, Here!! We recently spent two days at ANimal Kingdom, and we found that we had fit in most of the things we wanted to see (unfortunately we didn't go on Kali or see FotLK, and didn't go to Rafiki's either). Other times we'd usually done half days, and it was a great park and all, but this time when we had two days, I reckon they were some of the best two days we'd spent. We enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the park, and took in the attention to detail. The park is absolutely astonishing, and if you have the time, I really do recommend two days here, just taking it easy.
                                          Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

Comment

Working...
                                          X