X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality of CMs at WDW

Check it out, Dan:

Attractions Hosts and Hostesses |Walt Disney World Resorts Career Opportunities | Disney Careers |Disney.com

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
      Starting pay for castmembers is in no way minimum wage. It's low, and I'm sorry but I don't have exact numbers. From what I remember starting pay was up around $9 to $10 - well above Florida's wage of $7.25.

Many positions like attractions, front desk and food service start at minimum wage. Once the castmember becomes a trainer, a lead, or works an additional skill like back office or something then their pay goes up only when they do those tasks. i.e. A trainer only gets the training premium when they are training someone, otherwise they make their base rate.

Comment

I stand corrected.

Although I do have to say that my first job, way back in 197?, was for minimum wage, and I was ecstatic to have it.

A WDW entry level job was never designed to feed a family of 6.

Comment

And to Ti2gr's point, I think we've all experienced outstanding castmembers whose skill/education would elsewhere be earning them thrice what they make at WDW. They stay because they love the atmosphere/guest interaction or aspire to manage the place.

The key is to keep these people (and keep them happy and motivated) by paying them more and have them do the work of 1.5 castmembers (50+ hrs/week standard). There's no increase in budget because you've let most of the underperformers go.

Comment

Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
            And to Ti2gr's point, I think we've all experienced outstanding castmembers whose skill/education would elsewhere be earning them thrice what they make at WDW. They stay because they love the atmosphere/guest interaction or aspire to manage the place.

The key is to keep these people (and keep them happy and motivated) by paying them more and have them do the work of 1.5 castmembers (50+ hrs/week standard). There's no increase in budget because you've let most of the underperformers go.
            Exactly. I would be very happy to work 45-50 hours a week as a standard.

Comment

I have to say that I've don't remember ever having a bad experience with CM - except one. There was this particularly porky woman in the Emporium on Main Street. It was almost funny - she was checking me out at the cash wrap and when the incident happened, my mother and I were so shocked by her response to us that we actually looked at each other with that same "did that just happen?!?" look on our faces - that's how rare it is to get bad service at the World. I love the people at the hotels - I have yet to meet a rude one. I think their jobs are harder than in the parks, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by DRSeeker View Post

But bad attitudes are no excuse, sometimes previous guests give them bad attitudes also about things they have no control over, they should just smile and get over it.
                When I was managing retail stores - lousy customers actually had a good effect on me. If I had a problem with a bad customer, the person behind them got the biggest smile, the most upbeat attitude I could find in myself - it was like getting revenge on the crabby person by giving extra service to the patient person behind them - I know it sounds crazy but horrible customers put you in a whole different state of mind - everybody reacts to it in their own way I suppose. Besides, the rest of the people in line notice when you come away from an ugly incident in a good mood despite what you've just been through.

Comment

Ti2gr,

I fall into catergory 4 along side you. Judging by your pay rate, I'm assuming entertainment?

I'm in attractions and I make 7.86 an hour, but I mostly get training premium. Thank god for new CP season!
                  GRD999 - The Ghost Relations Dept.

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.theghoulishgallery.com/

Comment

Originally posted by celticdar View Post
                    ...she was checking me out at the cash wrap and when the incident happened...
                    Yeah, but what was the incident?

Comment

Originally posted by celticdar View Post
                      When I was managing retail stores - lousy customers actually had a good effect on me. If I had a problem with a bad customer, the person behind them got the biggest smile, the most upbeat attitude I could find in myself - it was like getting revenge on the crabby person by giving extra service to the patient person behind them - I know it sounds crazy but horrible customers put you in a whole different state of mind - everybody reacts to it in their own way I suppose. Besides, the rest of the people in line notice when you come away from an ugly incident in a good mood despite what you've just been through.
                      But did you tell the lousy customers to have a "Magical Day," or did you tell them to have a "Disney Day," if you get my drift?

Comment

Originally posted by Figment Fan View Post
                        But did you tell the lousy customers to have a "Magical Day," or did you tell them to have a "Disney Day," if you get my drift?

even though it wasn't directed to me I will admit I don't get it. Is that some sort of code phrase used by CMs?
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

[quote=ti2gr;1055810720]
                          Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
                          Here's the crux: starting pay for cast members is minimum wage. With pay that low you're only going to attract:

1. Young people (18-22) who want a paycheck or summer job and don't particular care about a career at WDW.

2. Local adults that just need work to put food on the table.

3. Retirees/Seniors who have a better attitude but are a little slower.

4. People that care about - and enjoy working for - WDW and so are willing to swallow the awful pay to be there.

But WDW pay is so low that it can eventually wear down even Group 4 to the point where a bad attitude develops.

You hit the nail on the head. I fall into category 4 and even then it's becoming harder each day. WDW schedules most front line full timers 32 hours now. Full Time is considered to be 32 hours, not 40. try making ends meet when your scheduled 32 hours a week and make $10 (for a highly specialized position) an hour or less.

In order to make ends meet, many castmembers have to try and pick up extra hours on their days off, which now means they are working without days off, or working double shifts. I personally have worked periods of 32 days in a row before having a day off.

On top of all that, guests have become increasingly more rude to castmembers. I've seen people cut in lines, I've been hit from behind by people in ECV's and not even a "Sorry" or "Excuse Me", but I did get a dirty look for being in "their" way. Most guests are nice, but when you run into a few that aren't it does sort of ruin your day. I've seen guests curse out castmembers because their kids weren't tall enough to ride rides with height restrictions, which are set for safety reasons.

I'm sorry that the bad guests are ruining your work experience there. Good CMs are hard to come by. Just remember, you're a diamond in the rough!!!

However, that being said, I don't think your experience will ever get any better. Why? America has devolved into a country full of rude people who let their sense of entitlement rule their actions.

AND, YOU ARE SPOT ON ABOUT THE ECVs. You hit a nerve on me with that one. Seriously, what's up with all the fatties in America that are too lazy to walk around? I know, I know, I'm being very harsh on overweight people and anti-American. So what? We need a kick in the butt for how slovenly and gluttonous we have become. I have so much to say on this topic, I'm gonna need to start another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by meekobiscuit View Post
                            AND, YOU ARE SPOT ON ABOUT THE ECVs. You hit a nerve on me with that one. Seriously, what's up with all the fatties in America that are too lazy to walk around? I know, I know, I'm being very harsh on overweight people and anti-American. So what? We need a kick in the butt for how slovenly and gluttonous we have become. I have so much to say on this topic, I'm gonna need to start another thread.

No need to start another thread it has been covered plenty of times before and doesn't end well.

While I am not really going to say you are completely wrong here I do find your wording to be extremely offensive and not very helpful toward making your point heard. Not to mention that it really is off topic for this thread.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Magic View Post
                              No need to start another thread it has been covered plenty of times before and doesn't end well.

While I am not really going to say you are completely wrong here I do find your wording to be extremely offensive and not very helpful toward making your point heard. Not to mention that it really is off topic for this thread.

Agreed. Let's all try and be a little more respectful to everyone, even our own members.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by meekobiscuit View Post

These 2 CMs at a gift shop in Anandapur in DAK talking about how to apply make-up, completely ignoring the guests. The kicker is, they were not standing, but squatting behind a fixture, talking to each other.
                                Chatting AND SQUATTING?? That's unbelievable - not a supervisor to be found anywhere??

Originally posted by santadog View Post
                                That's when I usually hold the stuff I selected up to about shoulder height, and tell them "Excuse me, when y'all are done talking: you can go ahead and put this stuff away" and ceremoniously drop it to the counter, turn and leave.
                                LOL! Bravo!! :clap:

I have a really strong reaction to rude, unresponsive or weird staff...

Originally Posted by meekobiscuit
                                Well, you need to remember that Disney parks are huge places and many people have physical problems (feet, back, breathing, arthritis etc.) that prevent them from being able to spend hours standing and walking on concrete and asphalt.

Adults in ECVs make a lot more sense to me than tons of strollers everywhere that contain children who are really too young to even appreciate where they are.
                                Last edited by CHESHIRE PUSS; 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Magic View Post
                                  even though it wasn't directed to me I will admit I don't get it. Is that some sort of code phrase used by CMs?
                                  I will reveal what it means later, as I want to see celticdar's response first. But rest assured, I will answer you in time.

Comment

Originally posted by CHESHIRE PUSS View Post
                                    Adults in ECVs make a lot more sense to me than tons of strollers everywhere that contain children who are really too young to even appreciate where they are.

^This
                                    I have worked:
                                    T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                                    Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                                    Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Maybe if Disney stops paying Minimum Wage, and pays a Living Wage, then they will be able to provide the premium experience, which I am more than willing to pay a premium price for?

In other words, your castmembers are at least as important, if not more important than your shareholders.

When I am tired of the amateur b.s., I'll just stay home and spend my money elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                                        Maybe if Disney stops paying Minimum Wage, and pays a Living Wage, then they will be able to provide the premium experience, which I am more than willing to pay a premium price for?

In other words, your castmembers are at least as important, if not more important than your shareholders.

When I am tired of the amateur b.s., I'll just stay home and spend my money elsewhere.

The problem is that they are already charging premium prices. Premium prices and minimum wages mean higher profit margins and happier shareholders - most of whom have no clue as to what happens in the parks.

Comment

[quote=meekobiscuit;1055814146]
                                          Originally posted by ti2gr View Post

I'm sorry that the bad guests are ruining your work experience there. Good CMs are hard to come by. Just remember, you're a diamond in the rough!!!

However, that being said, I don't think your experience will ever get any better. Why? America has devolved into a country full of rude people who let their sense of entitlement rule their actions.

What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X