X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality of CMs at WDW

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
    Maybe if Disney stops paying Minimum Wage, and pays a Living Wage, then they will be able to provide the premium experience, which I am more than willing to pay a premium price for?

In other words, your castmembers are at least as important, if not more important than your shareholders.

When I am tired of the amateur b.s., I'll just stay home and spend my money elsewhere.

I cannot help but compare Costco to Sam's Club on this....

Costco starts people (at least where I live) at $12 an hour, with benefits

Sam's Pays minimum wage (about $7.60)

comparing the 2, Costco is busier, and has a much friendlier and happier staff, and one that is much more knowledgeable. I suppose the adage "You get what you pay for" applies.

Comment

Starting wage for most WDW Roles is $7.25 right now, up from the $6.75 2 years ago when I first started.
      I have worked:
      T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
      Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
      Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Originally posted by speedwayslave View Post
        Starting wage for most WDW Roles is $7.25 right now, up from the $6.75 2 years ago when I first started.
        ... and I'd imagine the cost of living in Orlando is significantly higher than Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by santadog View Post
          ... and I'd imagine the cost of living in Orlando is significantly higher than Wisconsin.
          Much higher than Wisconsin. I'd say about the same as Chicago.

Comment

I'm from Michigan and it came as a shock at how high some things were priced at grocery stores and places like that. Had to learn to budget a lot better that is for sure.
            I have worked:
            T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
            Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
            Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Comment

I travel a lot to all the different Disney parks and the folks in Orlando are by far the worst of the bunch. Cast Members in Tokyo and Hong Kong are probarely the best, and also Disneyland have a rather high standard in Cast Members. I would rate the Paris CM's not as warm or freindly but still rate rather high when it comes to the Guest expereince, compared to WDW, and in the case of Paris is more a case of a clash of cultures. But WDW on the other hand is the pits and except for about half of the crew who do actually care and work hard, there are easily forgotten by the other half who are incredibly rude and often quite aggessive in there manner. I'm not saying its all there fault because I have met a lot of very rude Guest to who see it fit to confront the CM's on rules and decisions which are made by the idiots in upper Management.

Anyway this year at WDW has been difficult thanks to the economy and instead of cutting back on some of the slack and giving the boot to some of the less deserving Cast Members, WDW has decided instead to hurt the Guest by cutting back on the Guest experience. Now I have no problem with the company doing this, as I don't wish to see anyone unemployed, but I do feel its wrong for the few Guest who are turning up having to face such poor Customer service. WDW really needs to sort its act out and either start sacking or displining anyone who doesn't match the quality we all expect from Disney. By doing this is may send a sign to others to either shape up or ship out. We can only hope now that the former CFO is running the parks he'll use his financial background to make the cuts.
              Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

I guess I'm lucky in that I have never had a really "bad" cast member experience and I have had some simply amazing ones as well. I will always remember for example the CM "Kat" at the Polly who literally ran over the entire resort trying to find a wheel chair for my wife when she broke her ankle a few years back... She noticed me looking around frantically for one and approached me asking if I needed help, this used to be the norm sadly now the exception.

I have noticed a lot over the past 12-14 years or so is more of what I call a "decline in standards" now there are basically protocols for everything Disney does, from how tables are to be set, how to serve guests, etc. :rules: Now I personally don't know all the nuances of these processes, but when I visit my friends and family who are active CM's or past CM's they do point out from time to time when things are not being done the right way and it seems to be on the increase over the past few years.

In contrast I was just at Universal Studios last weekend with a bunch of agents from my agency and we where all blown away by the service at the HardRock and Universal Park personnel. So while I think Disney overall does a great job, it's not as good as it was or could be again! :ap:
                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                  I have noticed a lot over the past 12-14 years or so is more of what I call a "decline in standards" now there are basically protocols for everything Disney does, from how tables are to be set, how to serve guests, etc. :rules: Now I personally don't know all the nuances of these processes, but when I visit my friends and family who are active CM's or past CM's they do point out from time to time when things are not being done the right way and it seems to be on the increase over the past few years.

^I agree 100%, sometimes I would go to the park and be ashamed to call myself a CM after the way other CM's were performing (or not performing) their duties. I do believe that one of the problems has been that WDW employs SOOOOOO many more people than the other resorts that they have become less picky about who is hired and just find someone who can breath and pretend to act like they know what they are doing. As a CM who really cares and takes his job seriously it really makes me upset when I see CM's who just really don't care and are just there for the sake of having a job. This really makes the rest of us look bad.
                  I have worked:

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                    Anyway this year at WDW has been difficult thanks to the economy and instead of cutting back on some of the slack and giving the boot to some of the less deserving Cast Members, WDW has decided instead to hurt the Guest by cutting back on the Guest experience...
                    Given the considerable competition for tourist $$$'s this decision AMAZES me.
                    I'd rather have quality CMs than a discount on my room or a "give a day" promotion

Comment

Originally posted by santadog View Post
                      I cannot help but compare Costco to Sam's Club on this....

Costco starts people (at least where I live) at $12 an hour, with benefits

Sam's Pays minimum wage (about $7.60)

comparing the 2, Costco is busier, and has a much friendlier and happier staff, and one that is much more knowledgeable. I suppose the adage "You get what you pay for" applies.
                      Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                      Maybe if Disney stops paying Minimum Wage, and pays a Living Wage, then they will be able to provide the premium experience, which I am more than willing to pay a premium price for?

In other words, your castmembers are at least as important, if not more important than your shareholders.

When I am tired of the amateur b.s., I'll just stay home and spend my money elsewhere.

I have to agree that many corporations will quickly raise their prices in response to economic realities but don't take into account that those same economic realities are in play for their employees (AND many of their customers).

I agree that many jobs at Disneyland are probably well worthy of a hefty wage increase (though likely not all of them).

However, with that said, in the meantime those that take a job do have a responsibility to that job - to perform it properly, timely and consistently. They were not forced to take the job, neither are they being forced to keep it.

I know that when I go someplace like Disneyland, I do not require being fawned over. Any extra attention or interaction with staff is always more enjoyable, but I do expect at least a pleasant, responsive attitude and demeanor (NOT agitated, unresponsive squatters behind a cash register). I have found most CMs that I have encountered at DL perform well in this respect. Those that don't and have a surly or bad attitude because of pay or other issues need to resign and look for work elsewhere. (Disneyland has been notoriously low pay forever, its not like its a surprise...)
                      sigpic

Comment

Did they forget what Walt wanted from the very beginning? He strived hard for good employees and set standards. The great service at Disneyland had a great reputation and it was known world wide.

But yah, WDW is just too big and without enough residents in the area to fill in that slate of work makes it difficult.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                          Yeah, but what was the incident?
                          I was buying a collectible piece - It was a clock actually - one of the ones built into a scene with characters in it. I buy a lot of collectibles at other times of the year (7 or 8 members of my family have Dept 56 villages, including me) and it's customary to have the box opened at the register, in order to inspect the piece you're buying and make sure that it is in perfect condition before it leaves the store. So, I told her that I needed to open it to look it over - I really didn't think about it - it's just something I'm used to doing. Anyway, she wasn't remotely interested in doing that and made herself very clear. To be fair, the place was packed and she probably thought I was being an annoying old woman about it but, as I said, it's an automatic thing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Figment Fan View Post
                            But did you tell the lousy customers to have a "Magical Day," or did you tell them to have a "Disney Day," if you get my drift?
                            I told them neither - but as I do not work for Disney, they may have thought I was crazy had I offered up either of those - well, maybe I could have gotten away with Magical Day - but given what some of those nutters put me through in the course of the day, I really wasn't worried about the amount of magic in their day. Honestly, it got to where I could tell when there was a full moon.

Comment

I'm from St. Louis and I felt the cost of living here and there were actually VERY similar. I dunno, maybe that was just me though.
                              GRD999 - The Ghost Relations Dept.

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.com/
                              http://www.theghoulishgallery.com/

Comment

I've never encountered any overly bad CMs at WDW. Every so often I'll catch a CM who just doesn't look happy, but I've never been treated rudely, and I've never even seen a CM treat anyone rudely. In fact, I've found WDW CMs (on my 7 or so trips) to be better than DLR CMs in general. I feel like DLR is filled with a boatload of high school or college age CMs (some of whom seem to be completely indifferent to what's going on, while the rest are great), where I've found there to be a lot more "veteran" CMs at WDW. Maybe it's just the time of year I've visited or something, but that's been my general experience.

While I'd love for every CM I ever encounter to be "perfect," I've always found Disney CMs a significant cut above the employees at virtually every other place of business.

Comment

Originally posted by simba View Post
                                  I've never encountered any overly bad CMs at WDW. Every so often I'll catch a CM who just doesn't look happy, but I've never been treated rudely, and I've never even seen a CM treat anyone rudely.

While I'd love for every CM I ever encounter to be "perfect," I've always found Disney CMs a significant cut above the employees at virtually every other place of business.
                                  I agree 100% - with the exception of the one incident I've described above, I have always found that I get excellent service at the World. In fact, the reason that incident stands out for me is because it's so rare. My family has had the pleasure of getting great service over the years - and some of the CMs there have gone over and above what they're asked or paid to do. I agree with the people who believe that Disney employees don't get paid enough - but then I think the pay is never enough for people who have jobs where the public is in their face, so to speak, for the entire time they're on duty, and deserve more money. Those jobs may look easy but they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by celticdar View Post
                                    I told them neither - but as I do not work for Disney, they may have thought I was crazy had I offered up either of those - well, maybe I could have gotten away with Magical Day - but given what some of those nutters put me through in the course of the day, I really wasn't worried about the amount of magic in their day. Honestly, it got to where I could tell when there was a full moon.
                                    Oops. I'm sorry. Somehow I got the impression you did work for Disney.

And for those wondering what being told to "Have a Disney day," is, I am to understand it is a nice way the CMs have come up with to tell off rude customers. Can any CM verify this (I'm not saying to tell if you do this, but just to acknowledge if this is true or not)?

Comment

No idea what it means for other areas but at Speedway we used "Have a magical day" in place of some not so kid friendly words. =X
                                      I have worked:

Comment

Seems kinda juvenile to use words that the guest will interpret as friendly when you really mean them in a much crueller way. But then after dealing with so many idiots per day and not being able to say what you really think, maybe "Have a Disney day" isn't such a bad thing . . .

Comment

It is more then a little annoying when a guest is yelling in your face because there is thunder and lightening in the area so with Speedway closed somehow ruining their whole vacation, and your only defense is a smile and a sorry. If I could have gotten a penny for every time this exact situation happened...
                                          I have worked:

Comment

Working...
                                          X