• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ti2gr
    replied
    Re: Quality of CMs at WDW

Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
    And to Ti2gr's point, I think we've all experienced outstanding castmembers whose skill/education would elsewhere be earning them thrice what they make at WDW. They stay because they love the atmosphere/guest interaction or aspire to manage the place.

The key is to keep these people (and keep them happy and motivated) by paying them more and have them do the work of 1.5 castmembers (50+ hrs/week standard). There's no increase in budget because you've let most of the underperformers go.
    Exactly. I would be very happy to work 45-50 hours a week as a standard.

Leave a comment:

• RandySavage
    replied

And to Ti2gr's point, I think we've all experienced outstanding castmembers whose skill/education would elsewhere be earning them thrice what they make at WDW. They stay because they love the atmosphere/guest interaction or aspire to manage the place.

The key is to keep these people (and keep them happy and motivated) by paying them more and have them do the work of 1.5 castmembers (50+ hrs/week standard). There's no increase in budget because you've let most of the underperformers go.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

I stand corrected.

Although I do have to say that my first job, way back in 197?, was for minimum wage, and I was ecstatic to have it.

A WDW entry level job was never designed to feed a family of 6.

Leave a comment:

• ti2gr
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    Starting pay for castmembers is in no way minimum wage. It's low, and I'm sorry but I don't have exact numbers. From what I remember starting pay was up around $9 to $10 - well above Florida's wage of $7.25.

Many positions like attractions, front desk and food service start at minimum wage. Once the castmember becomes a trainer, a lead, or works an additional skill like back office or something then their pay goes up only when they do those tasks. i.e. A trainer only gets the training premium when they are training someone, otherwise they make their base rate.

Leave a comment:

• RandySavage
    replied

Check it out, Dan:

Attractions Hosts and Hostesses |Walt Disney World Resorts Career Opportunities | Disney Careers |Disney.com

Leave a comment:

• ti2gr
    replied

[QUOTE=RandySavage;1055810141]Here's the crux: starting pay for cast members is minimum wage. With pay that low you're only going to attract:

1. Young people (18-22) who want a paycheck or summer job and don't particular care about a career at WDW.

2. Local adults that just need work to put food on the table.

3. Retirees/Seniors who have a better attitude but are a little slower.

4. People that care about - and enjoy working for - WDW and so are willing to swallow the awful pay to be there.

But WDW pay is so low that it can eventually wear down even Group 4 to the point where a bad attitude develops.

You hit the nail on the head. I fall into category 4 and even then it's becoming harder each day. WDW schedules most front line full timers 32 hours now. Full Time is considered to be 32 hours, not 40. try making ends meet when your scheduled 32 hours a week and make $10 (for a highly specialized position) an hour or less.

In order to make ends meet, many castmembers have to try and pick up extra hours on their days off, which now means they are working without days off, or working double shifts. I personally have worked periods of 32 days in a row before having a day off.

On top of all that, guests have become increasingly more rude to castmembers. I've seen people cut in lines, I've been hit from behind by people in ECV's and not even a "Sorry" or "Excuse Me", but I did get a dirty look for being in "their" way. Most guests are nice, but when you run into a few that aren't it does sort of ruin your day. I've seen guests curse out castmembers because their kids weren't tall enough to ride rides with height restrictions, which are set for safety reasons.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by RandySavage View Post
    Here's the crux: starting pay for cast members is minimum wage.
    Starting pay for castmembers is in no way minimum wage. It's low, and I'm sorry but I don't have exact numbers. From what I remember starting pay was up around $9 to $10 - well above Florida's wage of $7.25.

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

I felt that way too about the CMs, but mostly about those who aren't passionate about the place. WDW is just too big and none of them are ever going to get the answers that the guests need to know.... and they don't care.

Leave a comment:

• RandySavage
    replied

Here's the crux: starting pay for cast members is minimum wage. With pay that low you're only going to attract:

1. Young people (18-22) who want a paycheck or summer job and don't particular care about a career at WDW.

2. Local adults that just need work to put food on the table.

3. Retirees/Seniors who have a better attitude but are a little slower.

4. People that care about - and enjoy working for - WDW and so are willing to swallow the awful pay to be there.

But WDW pay is so low that it can eventually wear down even Group 4 to the point where a bad attitude develops.

I think WDW has too many cast members. I've often seen two CMs lallygagging with each other when one would have sufficed to do the job.

WDW ought to slash its workforce by 30% - purging group number two - and raise hiring qualifications and pay for those who possess the skills and attitude to be a positive addition to the company.

In short, ask each remaining CM to do significantly more and pay him significantly more so he can feel proud and secure in his job.

Leave a comment:

• DRSeeker
    replied

There is always new CM's , temporary, seasonal, College program, and International programs, and many doing extra hours in different locations. Many think they are giving good info, they are not lying, I think they are just guessing or repeating other bad info. If they aren't sure, they should ask or call someone else.

But bad attitudes are no excuse, sometimes previous guests give them bad attitudes also about things they have no control over, they should just smile and get over it.

Leave a comment:

• joanna71985
    replied

This topic makes me sad.

I'm glad I've never had a bad CM encounter though, and I hope it stays that way

Leave a comment:

• SummerInFL
    replied

Originally posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    Then most don't follow that procedure out of laziness or being too busy to do that. A few years ago we were instructed (at the Magic Kingdom) to take a bus to Downtown Disney and walk to Hollywood Studios from there. Or another was the time we were unable to go to Fantasia Gardens because we had gone to Coronado Springs after being told we could walk from there. To add to that, the CMs at Coronado didn't know what Fantasia Gardens was.

This happens multiple times each trip to us. When we did a tour, our guide did tell us that it's better to just guess at an answer for a CM, then say 'I don't know,' and we presumed this was the reason for the dozens of times we've been misled.

They're always very polite, but often incorrect.
    If the CM doesn't know the answer they should try and find out the correct answer for them instead of causing people to waste hours going somewhere with misinformation.

That's horrible.

Leave a comment:

• HKDLFAN
    replied

WDW is the only Disney park I haven't been to and I've always thought its the best Disney resort ever but this is really shocking. The CMs at HKDL are the complete opposite in behavior compared to your depictions of the CMs at WDW. I guess its just stress...but TDR CMs handle their huge crowds majestically...

Leave a comment:

• nicoleloveswalt
    replied

Originally posted by GRD999 View Post
    Wait wait wait... no no. We are not instructed to lie in the event we don't know the proper answer. I have NEVER heard that one. I was taught that if you do not know the answer, to ask another cast member or call City Hall.
    Then most don't follow that procedure out of laziness or being too busy to do that. A few years ago we were instructed (at the Magic Kingdom) to take a bus to Downtown Disney and walk to Hollywood Studios from there. Or another was the time we were unable to go to Fantasia Gardens because we had gone to Coronado Springs after being told we could walk from there. To add to that, the CMs at Coronado didn't know what Fantasia Gardens was.

This happens multiple times each trip to us. When we did a tour, our guide did tell us that it's better to just guess at an answer for a CM, then say 'I don't know,' and we presumed this was the reason for the dozens of times we've been misled.

They're always very polite, but often incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Mtsplash
    replied

At WDW, I was in a pin store, and through involuntary eavesdropping, I heard a customer ask the CM what "E ticket" meant. The CM replied that she didn't know and that it could have something to do with Fast Passes! I was right next to this incident, so turned around and saved the day by telling them about A - E tickets.

At the convenience store at the Contemporary, I was walking up to the counter to trade pins with the CM. As I was walking up, she talked on her cell phone and gave me a very dirty look. She hung up, and I was able to trade, but she never even smiled.

Leave a comment:

• santadog
    replied

Originally posted by meekobiscuit View Post
    2 other CMs at the gift shop at the World Showcase entrance to Epcot completely ignored me as I went up to the cash wrap to make a purchase. They guy CM behind the counter looked me up and down and went back to talking to the other CM. I had to declare that I wanted to make a purchase before they acknowledged me.
    That's when I usually hold the stuff I selected up to about shoulder height, and tell them "Excuse me, when y'all are done talking: you can go ahead and put this stuff away" and ceremoniously drop it to the counter, turn and leave.

Leave a comment:

• wumbology
    replied

I think it might just be the time of your visit. In late August I was a little disappointed in the maids at the Haunted Mansion, the bellhops at the Tower, and the cast members running Aloha Isle. I surmise it was the time of year that they were training new cast members coming in for Fall, but I have not had that confirmed.

Leave a comment:

• GRD999
    replied

Originally posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
    I can't say I've ever found a particularly rude one. But I hate how they're instructed to basically lie if they don't know the proper answer. The number of times we've received incorrect information about schedules, transportation, etc. is incredible.
    Wait wait wait... no no. We are not instructed to lie in the event we don't know the proper answer. I have NEVER heard that one. I was taught that if you do not know the answer, to ask another cast member or call City Hall.

Leave a comment:

• nicoleloveswalt
    replied

I can't say I've ever found a particularly rude one. But I hate how they're instructed to basically lie if they don't know the proper answer. The number of times we've received incorrect information about schedules, transportation, etc. is incredible.

Leave a comment:

• Roger55
    replied

Had a terrible experience with a CM at the Grand Emporium this past holiday season.

When it was my turn to approach the register, I said "hello" and the CM stood there stone faced and didn't even acknowledge me other than giving me a unhappy stare. I asked if there was something wrong and got no response, so I got out of line and went to another register.

This CM was either very rude or having a terrible day. Either way, the CM should have been removed from being on-stage.

Unfortunately, the quality of the CMs as a whole has been dropping over the last 5 years. Fortunately, there are still some very special CMs remaining. Just no longer the norm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X