X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality of CMs at WDW

Originally posted by simba View Post
    I've never encountered any overly bad CMs at WDW. Every so often I'll catch a CM who just doesn't look happy, but I've never been treated rudely, and I've never even seen a CM treat anyone rudely. In fact, I've found WDW CMs (on my 7 or so trips) to be better than DLR CMs in general. I feel like DLR is filled with a boatload of high school or college age CMs (some of whom seem to be completely indifferent to what's going on, while the rest are great), where I've found there to be a lot more "veteran" CMs at WDW. Maybe it's just the time of year I've visited or something, but that's been my general experience.

While I'd love for every CM I ever encounter to be "perfect," I've always found Disney CMs a significant cut above the employees at virtually every other place of business.
    This is pretty much what I've encountered at WDW and DL. I've seen many a CM biting their tongues when rude guests are pushing their buttons. Haven't seen a CM let loose on one of these idiots, but I would in their defense. Tonight at ToT, a woman pushed her daughter up the FastPass line in a wheelchair. The CM asked for the FP's and the guest replied that she gave them to the CM at the entry to the queue. (she was obviously lying) The CM said he was sorry, but she needed to have her FP's to get stay in that line. The guest pointed at the little girl in the wheelchair and said "look at her"...The CM politely told them they had to go back. The woman yelled an obscenity at him and left. 15 minutes later my daughter and I saw the same woman with her daughter and miracurously, her daughter had been healed, as she was skipping down Sunset Blvd. I wonder if the person who the wheelchair belonged to got it back.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,'10x3,'11x5,'12x4,'13x4,'14x 2
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10,'14

Comment

My wife and I have noticed a lot of texting going on at WDW. The cast members are busier with their friends than with their guests. Also, we've noticed lots of little packs of cast members hanging around talking to each other when there's obviously work to be done.

Also, I've seen a lot of employees that are literally just standing there. I usually lean over to my wife and say 'there's some savings that Disney is missing!' It seems like they have far too many employees.

Sometimes we wonder if the college program hasn't just devolved into a cheap labor scheme. When she was in the college program in 1994, you had to apply for it like a job, you had to interview, and you had to worry forever whether you got the job or not. Training lasted for weeks, standards were really high, and if you weren't working, you got sent home. Nowadays, I think if the kid has a pulse, they bring them in to stand around and take up space. Rediculous.

It seems to me that the cast member situation at WDW is a missed opportunity for Disney to restructure the way they hire employees. They could easily let go of 25-30% of the dead weight, raise the wages $2-3/hr, and their bottom line would actually go down. Hell, I'd even apply for work there if you didn't have to work for their horrible wages!

Comment

Originally posted by steve2wdw View Post
        This is pretty much what I've encountered at WDW and DL. I've seen many a CM biting their tongues when rude guests are pushing their buttons. Haven't seen a CM let loose on one of these idiots, but I would in their defense. Tonight at ToT, a woman pushed her daughter up the FastPass line in a wheelchair. The CM asked for the FP's and the guest replied that she gave them to the CM at the entry to the queue. (she was obviously lying) The CM said he was sorry, but she needed to have her FP's to get stay in that line. The guest pointed at the little girl in the wheelchair and said "look at her"...The CM politely told them they had to go back. The woman yelled an obscenity at him and left. 15 minutes later my daughter and I saw the same woman with her daughter and miracurously, her daughter had been healed, as she was skipping down Sunset Blvd. I wonder if the person who the wheelchair belonged to got it back.
        When you are frustrated by rules and regulations that make no sense - remember that woman. It's for those people who live to cheat the system that most of the rules are created. If everyone could be counted on to be honest in all of their dealings, those rules wouldn't be needed. I can't stand people who scream at employees, Disney or otherwise, for simply doing their jobs. I've actually told people off for doing that - that type of behavior really irks me.

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
          Anyway this year at WDW has been difficult thanks to the economy and instead of cutting back on some of the slack and giving the boot to some of the less deserving Cast Members, WDW has decided instead to hurt the Guest by cutting back on the Guest experience.
          Well you can thank/curse the Union for that one.

But I offer up this to you, while I won't disagree WDW is too redundant in staffing, one of the major sources of grief Disney took in the monorail incident was an overworked staff because no new hires and transfers were coming in. But the backstage departments remained full. Much of these "less deserving" cast on stage are paired by equally "less deserving" cast backstage that make more money and put up with less hassles.

Disney could cut certain backstage roles and save the money instead, and spare their own image of "they're understaffed! they don't have enough people working!" which would show up on every message board in the world.

I'm on both sides of this fence. I am one who thinks thanks/curses the Union for FT and PT cast being protected.

Comment

whenever I see anyone being short/curt at the Disney Parks, I just tap them on the shoulder and say with a smile "Happiest Place on Earth, remember?" and add a wink.

Comment

Working...
            X