This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Kilimanjaro Safaris Layout Diagram

THE FOLLOWING LAYOUT DIAGRAM IS NOT AN OFFICIAL DISNEY ILLUSTRATION.

I have made a simplified layout diagram of the route and animal exhibit enclosures for Kilimanjaro Safaris based on my observations on the ride and a satellite image of the property. I have traced the diagram over the satellite image so that the spatial relationships are relatively accurate, although features in the more heavily forested areas are nearly impossible to delineate clearly. As such, this diagram is a 'guesstimate' in many ways but I have been careful in showing sizes of enclosures and adjacencies.

Kilimanjaro Safaris is an expertly crafted zoo exhibit complex where enclosure boundaries are delightfully confusing, leading to a greater sense of immersion in the simulated African landscape. For people who are interested in zoo design, this attraction's layout is very intriguing. However, I have not been able to find any accurate maps; Disney keeps its map of the park very general in this area to reinforce the sense of discovery intended for guests. I am also not privvy to the construction documents, so this is my attempt at getting a clearer picture of this great facility. Feel free to post corrections or additional knowledge you have about this layout!

Re: Kilimanjaro Safaris Layout Diagram

Love this map! Thanks a lot!

During a backstage magic tour we once visited a planning room which contained a detailed map of the entire WDW property, including everything backstage. I remember looking at Animal Kingdom and tracing the way from the where the safari cars are stored and maintained to where they actually enter the savannah and it was quite a distance.

Unfortunately I can't remember any details and obviously we weren't allowed to take pictures!

Comment

I'm liking this. Is the second Hippo Barn, also where the tigers are for the Pangani trail ?
      Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

Brandis, I believe the Safaris vehicles storage lot and maintenance building is located just off this map to the Southwest, closest to the black rhino exhibit but still a bit of a distance away; I am only guessing this from the satellite image which appears to show several of the vehicles in a rather large organized paved lot. I believe there is a road out of the attraction just after the rhinos or just after the crocs, not sure which, for accessing the storage. I went on one of the last rides of the day and an empty vehicle followed us but then disappeared early in the route.

Thorpeedo, the second hippo barn probably houses the hippos for the Pangani Forest hippo exhibit as well as one of the Safaris hippo exhibits. Same with the okapi barn and the Pangani okapi exhibit and Safaris okapi exhibit. However, there is no tiger exhibit in Pangani, instead they are in two exhibits in the separate Maharajah Jungle Trek complex; on the diagram, that would be located to the East of the Wildlife Express train tracks.
        Last edited by geomorph; 02-16-2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

From I noticed it looks accurate except the giraffe barn I think is located over in the "Main Savanna" where you put the hoofstock barn and not over next to the elephants.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorpeedo View Post
            I'm liking this. Is the second Hippo Barn, also where the tigers are for the Pangani trail ?
            There are no tigers in the Pangani Trail. Tigers live in Asia.

Comment

Rowlf, yes that is one change I will need to make, the giraffes in the main savanna go into the hoofstock barn complex adjacent to it. What I labeled as the giraffe barn is actually an outdoor covered area attached to the elephant barn; the giraffe barn label should be shifted to the hoofstock barn building just North of the elephant barn (the one for the mostly off-exhibit savannas) because I took a picture of that building from the Wildlife Express and it has a giraffe sign on it.

Comment

Instinct told me it wasn't right when I was typing it, but memory serverd me as coming off the Safari then seeing Tigers, I trusted Memory over instinct...possibly a lesson in there somewhere.
                Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

That's a great drawing and it looks pretty accurate. Thanks for sharing. I've got a plan of the safari too but I haven't labeled all the buildings. Here it is:
                  AK safari on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There are pens between the main savanna and the rhino savanna I don't know what they hold though

I think the savannas marked not seen on safari in the upper right really are seen on the safari but seperated from the main elephant yard by fences hidden in dips in the rolling hills

I'd love to spend the whole morning going over and figuring things out but I'm at work. I have blueprints at home I'll compare our drawings with them and see what I can fill in.

Ed

Comment

What a massive ride- and not to mention nice diagram!

It's nice to see this much put into one single attraction and hope we see much more of this for WDI for years and years to come.

one hundred and one

Comment

enfilm, thanks for sharing your drawing, I like many of the details like showing the 'flooded road' next to the main elephant pool!

Comment

Working...
                      X