This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Space and other mountains questions

I have some questions, you see the next time we are going to Disney I want to ride on Space mountain, I have wanted to ride it for years but my mom don't want me to ride it.

I'm 27 but the thing is that I had an open heart operation in '95 'cause my left ventricle was very thick an in the operation the doctors soleved the problem by cutting the thick area.

I got mush better after the operation ) , I still have sometimes low blood presure and get tired a bit faster than a normal person, but I'm mush better than before.

After the operation we asked my doctor (RIP) about if I could ride attrations, he aid yes but as long they weren't high speed, some people have told my mom that space mountain is extremely scary and reaaallly fast so that's the reason my mom is scared of the idea of us ridding it,

However :blush: I can say that my mom and I love big thunder mountain we have ride it in orlando and in california, and we don't get tired of it, after a ride my mom even suggest me if we can ride it again.

In wikipedia and I was surpriced to see that Big Thunder mountain goes faster than space mountain, we have ride on test track and we love it.

and also revenge of the mummy in universal (orlando) that goes way faster and I didn't died in it LOL

So I guess I can ride in Space mountain? I also whant to ride in the matterhorn of Disneyland and maybe other disney mountains, I showed my mom the info of the speed on wikipedia and she says she is thinking the possibility now.

what are your opinions can I ride it?

Last edited by Sapphire-Light; 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM. Reason: added more info
    sigpic

Re: Space and other mountains questions

Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain are relatively similar as far as intensity goes. Because the trains on Space Mountain are much shorter, it can make very tight turns. This makes for a whippyer ride. I know my mother used to enjoy Big Thunder Mountain, but Space Mountain used to hurt her back. Space Mountain also has no loops and no really large drops. It's old and can feel a bit rough for a steel coaster.

The Disneyland version is a completely different story. It has a longer train than Florida's and got an all new track fairly recently, so it should be fairly smooth. I have never been on Revenge of the Mummy so I don't know how that compares.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
    sigpic

Comment

If you can handle Big Thunder you can handle space mountain intensity wise. I think it only goes 27 miles an hour. The only difference between the two is that one is outside and the other is in pitch black dark making it feel faster.

Comment

Space Mountain is actually fairly slow but has blowing fans which create an illusion of speed, so you should be ok. It only goes about 30-35 MPH I believe.

Comment

Space Mountain is the slowest roller coaster on property with the second smallest drop (only to barnstormers). Info comes from CM training handbook. Personally I would say that if you can ride BTMRR then you should be fine with Space, it may look like it goes much faster but it is actually much slower. Sorry if this sounds like rambling, have been up for many hours with exams all day so I'm a bit out of it.
          I have worked:
          T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
          Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
          Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm happy to know space mountain is not that wild like some people have told us. )

I'm curious about the expedition everest and the matterhorn also, how are they?

sigpic

Comment

Universal's Mummy is much more intense, incredibly so.

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                Space Mountain is actually fairly slow but has blowing fans which create an illusion of speed, so you should be ok. It only goes about 30-35 MPH I believe.

Ahhh. Disney Mythology at its best. There are not blowing Fans on Space Mountain. Please google or you tube space mountain with lights on and this can easily be confirmed.

Space Mountain FL tops out at 27mph, give or take a couple of mph's due to load factors and more so time of day. either way, this makes it slower then both stateside Big Thunder Mountains.

Base on the list of attractions you have ridden, you are fine riding space mountain. FL's version is a little rough, but nothing Mummy Didn't already through at you. The front car is a little smoother then the back car. The last seat on the back car can toss you up out of the seat and into the safety bar the cars crest over the beginnings of the drops.

So for first ride, request front car. Not front seat though that is fine too, just front car. Work your way up to back car

Enjoy
                Last edited by Kidgenie; 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

you'de probably be better testing it out in CA. Disneyland's is similar but smoother. WDW's Space is fun but it also beats you to a pulp also. I don't think there is a much of a speed difference between Space and Big Thunder. It's basically a Big Thunder in the dark.
                  DisneyTwins
                  Since May 2003

Comment

The reason SM seems faster is because of the darkness. Without the aid of your eyes, your vestibular system is on its own for figuring out how fast you are going, and it always overestimates. That is one of the many reasons why any roller coaster is better at night then it is during the day.

Comment

Space mountain is a bit more intense than Big Thunder.
                      I would say that if Big Thunder bothers you at all then you should proably stay away from Space. But if roller coasters don't normally bother you then I don't think space will be that much different.
                      I hope you have a great trip no matter what you ride!

Cheers,
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X