This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Fate of Little Mermaid at DHS

With the addition of the the Little Mermaid ride in the fantasyland expansion, have there been any talk (official or otherwise) about what will happen to the little mermaid show at DHS?

While I do love the Little Mermaid, I don't love the idea of it becoming an over extended property cough*nemo* cough.

Re: Fate of Little Mermaid at DHS

I don't really see a problem with a ride in one park and a show in another, especially when they work so well in their given parks. (Ride in Fantasyland makes sense. A show in a show business-themed park makes sense.)

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

The show was originally only supposed to run for a year and a half, to see if it could run on Broadway. Now that show has come and gone, and Voyage is still playing. I guess, unless there's a good idea to replace it, it can and should remain.
      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

I really hope they tear it out and put something new in.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Yeah, that show is pretty bad. It made me so sad, since I love TLM.
          Good morning, son
          In twenty years from now
          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
          And I can tell you 'bout today
          And how I picked you up and everything changed
          It was pain
          Sunny days and rain
          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

ORDDU: According to a cast member friend of ours who works at Disney Hollywood Studios, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid show WILL be going away at about the same time the dark ride attraction is complete at the Magic Kingdom. There is no word on what would replace it. But it's not as good as it used to be. Certain elements were changed several years ago and the story line seems chopped up. Sebastian the crab used to introduce the show but he was discarded along with several other things that are sorely missed. My sisters and I won't be sorry to see it go.

Comment

I have long thought that HKDL's Golden Mickeys (a spoof of the oscars) would be very appropriate for a Studios park or Hollywood themed area.

But the current WDW management doesn't have a good record for replacing anything unless forced to so, or unless opting for something less expensive. But one can hope...
              Down with the Hat

Comment

I'm on both sides of the argument on this one. I love the show itself. The puppets and everything else are amazing. The story line is pretty bad. I mean how can they mess it up? I'll miss it a lot if it does go.

Comment

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                  I have long thought that HKDL's Golden Mickeys (a spoof of the oscars) would be very appropriate for a Studios park or Hollywood themed area.

But the current WDW management doesn't have a good record for replacing anything unless forced to so, or unless opting for something less expensive. But one can hope...
                  Based on what I know, I think that would be a fine fit.
                  -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

We skipped it while we were at the park. Though, being two guys in their 20s I don't think we're quite the demographic. I find it interesting that it has a Fast Pass option. We were at one point or another on 3 separate days and they didn't even give out Fast Passes for it. It could be the park just wasn't busy enough, but I remember when crowds used to be huge for the attraction, now it doesn't seem to be a necessity.

I think more people just want rides, shows usually get put on the back burner. I had no wait for any shows unless we were waiting for the start time. Which is unfortunate. No wait for shows, yet Midway Mania had a constant 90 minute wait. I mean, don't get me wrong it's a fun ride, but I wouldn't wait more than half an hour for it. I'd rather sit in a cool theater and be entertained.

Something needs to be done with that attraction, some sort of upgrade. Just get the crowds back.
                    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

aren't there cobwebs on the Little Mermaid Show in DHS?

They let most of the shows go on for WAY too many years at DHS. The need some fresh blood in there to liven thing up!
                      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I'm sure it'll stay. Even with 2 Toy Story themed attractions at Disneyland, they are getting a Toy Story Musical

(makes me wonder if they'll do an attraction based on Toy Story 3, sheesh).

Comment

I saw it in January and the theatre was full. As long as it keeps packing them in, there is no incentive to remove it.

The one thing I could see decreasing crowds are more attractions in DHS for the under 44" set.
                          I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

I really like the Voyage of the Little Mermaid and the way it uses all sorts of mediums (live actors, puppets, film clips) really suits the Studios in my opinion. It's unfortunate that then The Little Mermaid will have two attractions, but they both should be good enough, in my opinion, to stand on their own.

I know I'm going to get egged for this, but I'd rather see Beauty and the Beast go, that show is sub-standard and not by any means Broadway-caliber. Only Belle and Gaston sing (and therefore Gaston should really bow after the Beast) and most of the show is pre-recorded. If it was a shortened version of the actual Broadway show (i.e. have Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Beast, etc. played by actors, not costumed characters and have the ensemble sing) it would be so much better.
                            someday, when we are wiser,
                            when the world's older,
                            when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                            - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
                              I know I'm going to get egged for this, but I'd rather see Beauty and the Beast go, that show is sub-standard and not by any means Broadway-caliber. Only Belle and Gaston sing (and therefore Gaston should really bow after the Beast) and most of the show is pre-recorded. If it was a shortened version of the actual Broadway show (i.e. have Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Beast, etc. played by actors, not costumed characters and have the ensemble sing) it would be so much better.
                              I'll support, not egg you on this. The show is a joke not only compared to the Broadway production, but to what other in-park shows Disney has done (Finding Nemo, Aladdin, Hunchback etc.).

Unfortunately, it too still draws the crowds.
                              I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Well, the BatB show at DHS is almost the same as the one that was at Disneyland's Fantasyland Theater, and it's not that bad of a show. That particular version of BatB was never designed for Broadway. But, emphatically YES, that show has been there WAY too long, also.
                                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

But you have to think about it for a second... Walt Disney World as a whole, doesn't really have the largest assortment of "attractions" per square mile. If people are there for an entire week, they can literally do EVERYTHING if they wanted.

I think Mermaid and B&B still pulls people in because what other options do they have? I'm really not a fan of park hopping at WDW so I'd rather do everything I can in one park before moving to the next... even if it is some outdated show.

Comment

ORDDU: As my sisters and I pointed out, earlier, the Voyage of the Little Mermaid was changed for the worse some years ago--shortening it and presenting things in the wrong order.

ORWEN: The Beauty & the Beast show was changed a while back, too, but for the better. It tells the story from beginning to end now, whereas before it didn't.

ORDDU: So if we had to choose which is currently the better of these two shows, we vote for Beauty & the Beast.

Comment

I'd vote to toss Little Mermaid too. That show was terrible. In my honest opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                                        Well, the BatB show at DHS is almost the same as the one that was at Disneyland's Fantasyland Theater, and it's not that bad of a show. That particular version of BatB was never designed for Broadway. But, emphatically YES, that show has been there WAY too long, also.
                                        Well, yes, it came before the Broadway show, and is a theme park show but Disney continually calling it Broadway quality is really insulting; everyone sings for themselves on Broadway. Did everyone sing in the Disneyland version?

I think Little Mermaid is a much more innovative show and more entertaining. I think people who don't always like musicals would very much enjoy Little Mermaid whereas Beauty and the Beast is just dancers with nothing to really enhance it.

I don't understand why Disney doesn't clear out Beauty and the Beast in order to advertise one of their shows currently running on Broadway. Mary Poppins would be a perfect fit.
                                        someday, when we are wiser,
                                        when the world's older,
                                        when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                                        - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                                        X