X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fate of Little Mermaid at DHS

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Understood. My statement wasn't opinion though. You COULD do it. I didn't say it would be your preferred method but one trip I made w/ reasonable crowds, I did just about everything in less than a week.

Note: This was prior to Everest and Nemo Musical, and of course I didn't do every live performance at EPCOT as I wasn't interested in them... so you can probably argue that it's different now and more difficult to do EVERYthing.

My thought still remains though.. I want more RIDES in the non-Magic Kingdom theme parks. There's too many shows for my tastes as I found myself "sitting and watching" too much.
    You just contradicted yourself. You didn't do EVERYTHING in the theme parks if you didn't experience EVERY live performance and attraction available in the parks. You simply did everything that interests you in less than a week. That is a big difference than actually doing it all.

However, I agree with you that DAK and DHS could benefit from a few more rides.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankenstein View Post
      You just contradicted yourself. You didn't do EVERYTHING in the theme parks if you didn't experience EVERY live performance and attraction available in the parks. You simply did everything that interests you in less than a week. That is a big difference than actually doing it all.

However, I agree with you that DAK and DHS could benefit from a few more rides.

Yah in mind, "everything" was whatever the imagineers had a part in creating and I didn't even think of "live entertainment" when I wrote my earlier statement. I still don't consider those attractions but just simple rotating entertainment. But if you guys feel so strongly about not being able to do everything in a week, continue to think that way. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. But to me, I did everything in a week that was truly Disney. That's all that matters to me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

It's simple... 'everything' really means 'everything I want to do' in CB's comments.

This syndrome is used against DHS all the time to claim it's a half day park. You can't even do that one park in a day. Yet because people say 'well I didn't want to see sounds dangerous...' or LMA or something else (like VOTLM) they cross it off their list and complain the park has nothing. It does - it just wasn't what you were after or thought you were.

I like the VOTLM show.. I think the puppet and show tech in there is quite interesting and way more enjoyable then simple stage shows like Beauty and the Beast or the Castle Shows. Because its very different and gives very different effects, etc.

Comment

I did my very first visit to WDW last year and I will say though TLM was neat but it felt very date as did Beauty and the Beast.

This is a first person impression to boot.

Loving Disney Since 2006!
          Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

I like the "underwater effeect" that goes across the theatre.
            Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

Yah in mind, "everything" was whatever the imagineers had a part in creating and I didn't even think of "live entertainment" when I wrote my earlier statement. I still don't consider those attractions but just simple rotating entertainment. But if you guys feel so strongly about not being able to do everything in a week, continue to think that way. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. But to me, I did everything in a week that was truly Disney. That's all that matters to me.
              It's not that, it's the fact that I go normally 5 or 6 times a year to WDW for 4 to 7 days a trip and have yet to do everything in the theme parks in one trip. I have done everything I wanted to do on a trip, but not everything the parks have to offer.

I'm just pointing out that your statement is flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by RobotWolf View Post
                Those of you interested in "ancient" computer technology might be interested to know that while many computers ran the various subsystems of the show. An Amiga 3000 was the main show controller, calling all the shots.
                Whoah there, ancient? I'll have you know I still have an Amiga 2000 w/ video toaster rig I still use occasionally for video editing... It can do some things that the non-multimillion dollar systems can't do today... Older maybe, state of the art early 90's technology definitely, to me ancient means switches, punch cards, vacuum tubes and systems like the Altair and ENIAC... Dang I feel old...

Can anyone name the other entertainment endeavor that utilized an Amiga? (Hint: It was in a different park and it moved ...)
                I want to say CoP or Mickey mouse review. But now I'm curious...

Understood. My statement wasn't opinion though. You COULD do it. I didn't say it would be your preferred method but one trip I made w/ reasonable crowds, I did just about everything in less than a week.

Note: This was prior to Everest and Nemo Musical, and of course I didn't do every live performance at EPCOT as I wasn't interested in them... so you can probably argue that it's different now and more difficult to do EVERYthing.

My thought still remains though.. I want more RIDES in the non-Magic Kingdom theme parks. There's too many shows for my tastes as I found myself "sitting and watching" too much.
                Thanks for clarifying the earlier statement... Sounds like the issue here is your looking for more rides, versus shows and entertainment. If you where to only focus on the rides, follow a strict touring plan and run all over the parks to avoid the lines then Yes you could do all the rides and most of the attractions, but Disney World is so much more than just the Rides and Attractions! There are show and magic happening all around you if you slow it down a bit and take the time to notice it... I notice something new every time I go and well that's at least 2-3 times a year. :ap:

Originally posted by Thorpeedo View Post
                I like the "underwater effeect" that goes across the theatre.
                YES! I was hoping someone would mention that, the laser effect with the mist machines is my favorite! that and the fact the mist seems to make it feel about 10 degrees cooler...

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                It's simple... 'everything' really means 'everything I want to do' in CB's comments.

This syndrome is used against DHS all the time to claim it's a half day park. You can't even do that one park in a day. Yet because people say 'well I didn't want to see sounds dangerous...' or LMA or something else (like VOTLM) they cross it off their list and complain the park has nothing. It does - it just wasn't what you were after or thought you were
                Agreed, and it's one of those things that has just spread out everywhere, I get client's asking if it's worth going to see DHS or AK because of the half day comments. I always tell them it's what you make of it, if you just want to ride the rides then yes you can run though the parks rather quickly but you can explore AK's trails and animal habitats for a whole day and not ride any of the rides if you wanted to, it's really up to the individuals and what they are into.

DHS is a lot smaller than AK, but they have more scheduled shows than AK and they do a pretty good job at staggering the shows so if you take them all in and stop to enjoy the "Streetmosphere" etc you can spend a very long day in DHS. The shows may not be full Broadway productions, but compared to other theme park productions they're pretty darned good, and short enough to take smaller kids to. I think the biggest problem is one of Size, the back lot and all take up a lot of space, something the Park just doesn't have that much of to begin with, so it limits the number of attractions that can be housed.

Could they jam more in there? Possibly yes, but during busy times of the year the areas around the attractions get swamped with people which detracts from the movie set feel of the back-lot and other areas. Turning shows into shorter attractions/rides would also cause the same issues, since the shows basically "eat people" while they wait and watch the show, without the big shows the lines would be much longer than they are today. And a much smaller feel to the park as there would be more visible crowds for more of the time.

It's not that, it's the fact that I go normally 5 or 6 times a year to WDW for 4 to 7 days a trip and have yet to do everything in the theme parks in one trip. I have done everything I wanted to do on a trip, but not everything the parks have to offer.
                Yes and that's what keeps me going back as well, there's typically one or two things that are on the "must do" list. The rest of the trip is just to enjoy our favorites and try a few new things. This next trip I've got Kat Kora's restaurant, Hyperspace Hoopla/SWW and seeing a couple old friends on my must do list for example. Other than that We play it by ear and just enjoy ourselves.

WDW is a huge place and has a diversity of attractions and activities that are designed to appeal to the whole family. Not every attraction, show, or park will be a hit with each person but they do have a fairly good balance of activities which is what appeals to most guests.
                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

I'm just pointing out that your statement is flawed.

Next time you go, TRY and do everything in the parks in one trip. Pretend you've never been before and that this will be your last trip. See how far you get. It'll be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                    I did my very first visit to WDW last year and I will say though TLM was neat but it felt very date as did Beauty and the Beast.

This is a first person impression to boot.
                    The last time I saw Beauty and the Beast, it looked rather cheap and threadbare. Very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by RobotWolf View Post
                      As a former cast member at WDW, my last gig was in the VOTLM show. As others in this thread have suggested, it was a remarkably different experience back then.
                      Wow, thanks for all that cool info Robot! Very interesting.

I'm a huge fan of the LM movie but can't stand the DHS show. Talk about chopped. It's just become a machine to move thousands of people thru per day with no real storytelling.

On the flipside, I do the B&B still, although DL's show was a better one.
                      Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Both are definitely in need of an update - no recorded singing or dialog for the actors on stage would be a great benefit for one. Were it up to me, I'd like to see them both replaced.

B&tB can continue to be used for a stage show - I'm thinking something like an On The Record style revue of Disney songs set in a recording studio in the 40s-50s to fit the theme of Sunset Blvd. (Though after seeing how much space this takes up, I would not be opposed to removing it for a couple of smaller, more whole family oriented rides).

VOLTM would be replace by a ride. I know it's a favorite now, but the park is a little too heavy on rides with height restrictions and shows. More B/C/D tickets are needed to balance the park out. I know space would be an issue, but I think something could be worked out like the Toon-Town Trolley simulator (with Goofy as conductor if needed). I'd even like to see Disney try its hand at an indoor spinner - Think of the DLRP Aladdin Carpets spinner where the Genie is the director, but enclose it and put all kinds of lighting effects on the walls so the Genie can change the scenery from a starry night to day, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mkeeler View Post
                          VOLTM would be replace by a ride. I know it's a favorite now, but the park is a little too heavy on rides with height restrictions and shows.
                          I agree with you about this being a show heavy park. This is always the park I do the most walking in because the show times never seem to fit with where I am in the park at a given time.

Comment

well it was a park about HOLLYWOOD and MOVIES... who would have thunk it would be heavy on shows

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                              well it was a park about HOLLYWOOD and MOVIES... who would have thunk it would be heavy on shows

If you think about it, Disneyland/Magic Kingdom is a theme park that celebrates the magic of the movies without making it so obvious. Tomorrowland is Science Fiction. Adventureland is Action. Frontierland is the Western. Fantasyland is the animated storybook. It's not show-heavy and DHS should be treated the same.

Comment

But Hollywood Studios celebrates the magic of watching a movie or show. Magic Kingdom is supposed to put you *in* the show or movie.

I love that Hollywood Studios celebrates the stage, I just wish they'd do it in a more advanced way; a way that gives a good name to Disney Theatrical.
                                someday, when we are wiser,
                                when the world's older,
                                when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                                - Walt Disney

Comment

Don't get me wrong...I understand that a movie park would and should have a good number of shows. I'm even coming around on the idea of screen based attractions because if implemented correctly, it could make easy transitions for the Hallowood/Hollydays celebrations they've always wanted to get off the ground.

We're still talking about a theme park though, that has only 5 rides. 6 if you count the backlot tour. And half of those are height restricted. It just makes me a little frustrated because the park could so easily be filled out with the right combination of rides that celebrate the magic of making movies and the movies themselves. For example:

The Great Muppet Movie Ride (or because I'm convinced we will sadly never see that particular ride - Muppet Studios Presents Muppet Treasure Island - a boat ride through the making of Muppet Studios newest production where the parody still works on two levels, a parody of the story and a parody of the Pirates of the Carribean ride)
                                  A Muppets Backlot Tour (imagine Crazy Harry being the one setting off explosives that starts Catastrophe Canyon working)
                                  I even think you could bring over a modified version of Storybook Land canal boats from Disneyland and set it inside the "Set Department", so you'd now have a relaxing boat ride through a combination of full-scale sets, miniatures, and through a green screen section where you could now by your own ride video and see where your boat ended up.

Sorry if I sounded a little over passionate. DHS is one of my favorite parks given twin interests in park design and classic Hollywood. Were I given carte blanche expand any park, DHS would be my first choice. I'm just ready to see it fulfill it's potential.

Comment

If you think about it, Disneyland/Magic Kingdom is a theme park that celebrates the magic of the movies without making it so obvious
                                    Its not the same at all. MK is not about the movie business, or the magic of the movies... it's about stories and characters FROM movies.

It's the same reason why the academy doesn't just award 'best picture', but also has 'best director', 'best effects', 'best score', etc... they focus on not just the outcome, but the art of making it themselves. DHS was in the same.. it was about celebrating the art of movies... where they came from.. how they were made... and celebrating some of the best from the movies themselves.

You don't see any rides in MK celebrating the background artists, or the writers, etc.

MK could be what it is if the movies never existed - because its about STORIES.. the characters, the settings, etc. Not just one of the mediums used to tell that story.

Comment

^ While I concede your distinction, I'll play devil's advocate here for a minute. It's not an exaggeration to say that there are several attractions placed in DHS because they either capture the magic of the story of the movie (and not any of the process) or they just don't fit anywhere else, but have some tie to a general entertainment theme. The two shows that have been discussed at length here (VOTLM and B&tB) both could be dropped in Fantasyland with no thematic problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mkeeler View Post
                                        ^ While I concede your distinction, I'll play devil's advocate here for a minute. It's not an exaggeration to say that there are several attractions placed in DHS because they either capture the magic of the story of the movie (and not any of the process) or they just don't fit anywhere else, but have some tie to a general entertainment theme. The two shows that have been discussed at length here (VOTLM and B&tB) both could be dropped in Fantasyland with no thematic problems.
                                        By saying what MK is not - I was not bounding what DHS is. And yes, there are some attractions in DHS that aren't solely about the art of movie making. But if you look at VOTLM for instance, it's in the Animation Courtyard.. surrounded by elements that promote the film making. I see it kind of like tasting the wine at the end of a wine tour

Comment

Very good points, MKeeler.

I think my main point is that a theme park with a Studio Lot as a theme is a broken concept. You're exactly right that Voyage of the Little Mermaid could have easily been in Fantasyland as would the Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage. Or Fantasmic for that matter.

But DHS for whatever reason continues to struggle for a true identity, and will continue to struggle as long as that blasted HAT is the beacon for the entire park.

Yes, Hollywood is about show business and while it's great to emphasize SHOWS, but there also needs to be a balance. Too many shows and not enough (ride) attractions could really wear you down.

Comment

Working...
                                          X