This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Alien Encounter?

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to check out this wonderful attraction. (YouTube's not the same, you know.) I have been on Stitch (TERRIBLE attraction!) and people have told me that if I've been on Stitch, I'm not missing out on AE much. Is it really true ALL of the effects have reused from AE into Stitch?

Re: Alien Encounter?

Yeah they basically took the Alien out and put stitch in, but for me it felt more "real" or like I was in a seen from Alien.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

The alien in AE didn't burp chili dog on you.

Comment

Was the effect of the cord tickling the top of you head in Stitch reused in AE?

Comment

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
          Was the effect of the cord tickling the top of you head in Stitch reused in AE?
          Strike that, reverse it.

I never saw Alien Encounter either, but I am like 60% sure you didn't actually feel the Alien touch you.
          -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

The alien licked the top of your head. It was super creepy. That got changed to Stitch tickling you. Also, the alien ate someone in the audience and warm blood sprayed in your face. I miss it so much! It really was terrifying.

Click the banner! ^^^^
            Follow us on Twitter
            @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
            Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

AE was actually scary. Stitch, not so much. If you seen Stitch, its not the same as seeing AE. The show was different, which made the ride/experience different.
              Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

The ride set up was the same. Still had 2 rooms to walk in then the show. I do miss Skippy. Should have gotten that action figure 1997 but I pasted it up.

Comment

In Alien Encounter the alien animatronic was different (obviously) didn't move around much and took up almost the entire glass tube. You got a blast of air in the face when it busted the tube. Instead of Stitch's annoying voice the alien was all growls and snarls, as you can hear on youtube. It breathed hot air down the back of your neck frequently as it tried to pull off your harness. It didn't burp chilli dogs, but it did eat a maintenance worker giving the audience a shower. There was an effect of someone kicking your chair in the hopes that you would scream and the alien would eat you and not him. The alien indeed licked your head, and the show climaxed with the creature exploding, resulting in another spray of water.

The theater itself is identical except for the big ray guns that were added for the Stitch version. The tone of the old Alien Encounter show was much darker and scarier. The effects are similar, but the Stitch version is much less intense, and way more annoying.
                  It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                    The tone of the old Alien Encounter show was much darker and scarier.
                    What I quoted and the overall theme of the attraction being in the new Tomorrowland is what made it vastly superior to Stitch. It seems as though Tomorrowland as a whole has lost it direction beginning with Stitch replacing AE.

I also believe if the attraction would've been placed in DHS, it would still be around. Unfortunately, MK is not the place to put an attraction with the dark overtones AE had.

I do enjoy Stitch (one of the few that will say that), but it really pales in comparison to its predecessor.
                    Last edited by Krankenstein; 04-24-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankenstein View Post
                      What I quoted is and the overall theme of the attraction being in the new Tomorrowland is what made it vastly superior to Stitch. It seems as though Tomorrowland as a whole has lost it direction beginning with Stitch replacing AE.
                      I'll agree that the replacement of AE with Stitch has furthered the current Tomorrowland from the setting of the Tomorrowland of '94. And I love Tomorrowland '94. But if there's going to be Stitch, MILF, and Buzz Lightyear on the Avenue of the Planets, and the TTA is going to drop the narration, then I'd rather see Tomorrowland back in its original theme. Like a Contemporary Resort, except with attractions.
                      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

The reason Stitch isn't scary is that I know Stitch won't eat me. The lawyers won't let him.
                        The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, , murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
                          Unfortunately, I never had the chance to check out this wonderful attraction. (YouTube's not the same, you know.) I have been on Stitch (TERRIBLE attraction!) and people have told me that if I've been on Stitch, I'm not missing out on AE much. Is it really true ALL of the effects have reused from AE into Stitch?
                          Oh, do I ever agree with you about Stitch. A very bad concept for a ride. And it's too bad - it's great technically, and it's visually amazing, yet it's a completely obnoxious experience. I heard little kids crying when the lights went off. Stitch was unlikable and SCARY. Who thought that would be fun?

I never got to see Alien Encounter either. I've heard it was pretty good.

Comment

Alien Encounter was great, I went on in as many times as I could when I was at WDW. One time on Stitch was enough for me.
                            sigpic

Comment

Alien Encounter, how I miss thee...

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again. AE was by far my favorite attraction, it was out of the norm and a refreshing dark change that showed Disney could really screw with your head.

When it comes to SGE, it was a failure upon it's conception. Plain and simple AE's format doesn't mix well with the target audience SGE had in mind.

In order for the effects of the show to work, the theater needs to be in total darkness. Total darkness + kids + unexpected surprises = SCARED KIDS.

When SGE opened it had a lower height requirememt so it's target audience could see the show, however not surprisingly the height requirment was soon raised multiple times since the kids were getting the crap scared outta them.

SGE does use some of the effects AE had, however since the presentation is so dumbed down the effects are utterly worthless. For example the tongue effect always got me in AE, however the same effect didn't work with SGE since I wasn't tense.

SGE is in a lose-lose situation, it's too scary for it's target audience and too boring and dumb for everyone else.

For all those that didn't see AE, you did miss out. While the attraction wasn't for everyone, it was a quality attraction that filled the need of having a nice attraction for teens and adults in MK to keep it a well balanced family park.
                              Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
                              Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
                              I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                                and the show climaxed with the creature exploding, resulting in another spray of water.
                                Ok I only saw AE once, but the alien did not explode at the end. It got back in the teleportation tube and they were able to send it away.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                  Ok I only saw AE once, but the alien did not explode at the end. It got back in the teleportation tube and they were able to send it away.
                                  Not correct. Right before they lowered the outer tube, the alien played by Kathy Najimy yells "The creature's about to explode!" Just as the outer tube stops, you get a water splash in the face, representing said explosion being contained at the last moment.

Check out 6:37 in this youtube vid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2XkRn_pAQI]YouTube - Alien Encounter Extra Terrorestrial Walt Disney World[/ame]
                                  "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

Comment

Actually, Aimster might have actually seen AE right when it opened. The original version did have the Alien sent away, and the chairmen teleported into the audience. (Though the shield was down, so you could only hear him.)

The original version didn't last too long, it was soon closed and had a good amount of changes done to it so it would have a darker tone. (Adding things such as having the alien explode, the matenince guy getting killed with the blood effect etc, the tongue effect.)
                                    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
                                    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
                                    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by AE_Fan View Post
                                      Actually, Aimster might have actually seen AE right when it opened. The original version did have the Alien sent away, and the chairmen teleported into the audience. (Though the shield was down, so you could only hear him.)

The original version didn't last too long, it was soon closed and had a good amount of changes done to it so it would have a darker tone. (Adding things such as having the alien explode, the matenince guy getting killed with the blood effect etc, the tongue effect.)
                                      Ah. I kept getting confused on those details. I think from a recent episode of WDW Today, when they were talking about this with Werner Weiss. I couldn't remember if the original was too scary, or not scary enough...

But how lame would that be if the entire show was: "OH NO! THERE'S A CARNIVOROUS ALIEN IN THE ROOM! Oh wait, no, here. Okay, it's gone. Here's the chairman!"
                                      -Hale (wumbology)

Comment

I saw Alien Encounter back in 2001 when i was in 5th grade. I was scared ****! I remember being nervous in the preshow. and terrified during the show.

I saw stitch in 2007 i was very disappointed with it. It was boring. And the smell of the chili dog burp was the most disgusting smell and i felt like i smelt it the whole day afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                        X