X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alien Encounter?

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
    Ah. I kept getting confused on those details. I think from a recent episode of WDW Today, when they were talking about this with Werner Weiss. I couldn't remember if the original was too scary, or not scary enough...

But how lame would that be if the entire show was: "OH NO! THERE'S A CARNIVOROUS ALIEN IN THE ROOM! Oh wait, no, here. Okay, it's gone. Here's the chairman!"
    The original was deemed not scary enough, and the second pre show didn't exactly help.

In the original second preshow, the main animatronic was T.O.M. 2000 (voiced by the late Phil Hartman). While the preshow pretty much did the same thing to Skippy, the pre show had a rather light hearted tone to it...something that obviously didn't fit with what the attraction was going for.

When the attraction was tweaked, Phil Hartman's AA was canned and replaced with S.I.R. who was voiced by Tim Curry. That certainly helped bring a darker tone for the preshow.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Comment

That video is from 2001. I saw it in I think 1997 or 1998. I remember is scared the ever-living sh*t out of me and my then BF just laughed and teased me... and promptly got smacked upside the head. But yeah the version I saw, the alien got sent away and the Chairman of XS-Tech came, but was behind the shield in the tube thingy so you could only hear him. But if I remember correctly, S.I.R. was already in place... I remember Tim Curry's voice (love Tim Curry). I'm still mad I never bought a Skippy plushie. I even remember the "Free Skippy!" t-shirts and I think buttons too they used to sell.

Comment

Here are some videos I uncovered while searching the topic:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTk9Lnuo8Ww]YouTube - The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter pt.1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1EKgiHMSg]YouTube - The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter pt.2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVyMu1xDbo]YouTube - Disney Alien Encounter original preshow[/ame]

Does the old pre-show have foreboding music in the background?
        "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Originally posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
          Was the effect of the cord tickling the top of you head in Stitch reused in AE?
          I remember it as hot breath on the back of your neck, when the Alien "walked" over you... In total Darkness... after it had suposedly eaten the technition trying to fix the power and your where sprayed with his "blood" (water)... Gave my wife nightmares but I really enjoyed it. The whole thing was rather terrifying for some people, apparently a lot of parents complained about it.

It did have my favorite call out of all time on a Disney ride, when the Alien appears you hear a voice yell "it looks just like my mother in law!" Which when your on your honeymoon you can sort of get away with laughing at without getting hit... :ap:

Originally posted by aimster View Post
          That video is from 2001. I saw it in I think 1997 or 1998. I remember is scared the ever-living sh*t out of me and my then BF just laughed and teased me... and promptly got smacked upside the head. But yeah the version I saw, the alien got sent away and the Chairman of XS-Tech came, but was behind the shield in the tube thingy so you could only hear him. But if I remember correctly, S.I.R. was already in place... I remember Tim Curry's voice (love Tim Curry). I'm still mad I never bought a Skippy plushie. I even remember the "Free Skippy!" t-shirts and I think buttons too they used to sell.
          I though the Pre-Show was hilarious, very dark, very cold and corporate I figured it was the Imagineers rebelling against Eisner and the bean counters in a way. I liked how they would transport Skippy back and forth and then just decide to not materialize him, Tim Curry as S.I.R. was the perfect fit.

The big thing was there really wasn't too much going on that you could see, it was all "theater of the mind" for much of the show, which was brilliant as I think people's minds where racing with scarier idea's than the Imagineers could have ever pulled off with the lights on. That's what really freaked people out in my opinion. :ap:
          Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
            It did have my favorite call out of all time on a Disney ride, when the Alien appears you hear a voice yell "it looks just like my mother in law!" Which when your on your honeymoon you can sort of get away with laughing at without getting hit...
            OH! That reminds me. I remember one of the things that bugged me when I saw Stitch in April 2005, (first trip,) was that you couldn't tell what voices were really from people in the room, and which were in the ride's soundtrack. I guess that's good on the Imagineers' part, but it was not my cup of tea. And now it just serves to make it sound like people are actually enjoying the show.

I though the Pre-Show was hilarious, very dark, very cold and corporate I figured it was the Imagineers rebelling against Eisner and the bean counters in a way. I liked how they would transport Skippy back and forth and then just decide to not materialize him, Tim Curry as S.I.R. was the perfect fit.
            That's awesome.
            -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

I remember it as hot breath on the back of your neck, when the Alien "walked" over you... In total Darkness... after it had suposedly eaten the technition trying to fix the power and your where sprayed with his "blood" (water)... Gave my wife nightmares but I really enjoyed it. The whole thing was rather terrifying for some people, apparently a lot of parents complained about it.

It did have my favorite call out of all time on a Disney ride, when the Alien appears you hear a voice yell "it looks just like my mother in law!" Which when your on your honeymoon you can sort of get away with laughing at without getting hit... :ap:

The big thing was there really wasn't too much going on that you could see, it was all "theater of the mind" for much of the show, which was brilliant as I think people's minds where racing with scarier idea's than the Imagineers could have ever pulled off with the lights on. That's what really freaked people out in my opinion. :ap:
              Oh yeah Alien Encounter was a total... ahem... mind . Seriously messed with your head to make you think the alien was right behind you, breathing down your neck and shaking the harness to get to you. That totally freaked me out, but it was absolutely brilliant.

And any parent who complained after taking little Billy on AE needs a smack upside the head because there were SEVERAL signs outside and in the pre-show warning that it was a very intense attraction that took place mostly in the dark and was not suitable for young children.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                Oh yeah Alien Encounter was a total... ahem... mind . Seriously messed with your head to make you think the alien was right behind you, breathing down your neck and shaking the harness to get to you. That totally freaked me out, but it was absolutely brilliant.

And any parent who complained after taking little Billy on AE needs a smack upside the head because there were SEVERAL signs outside and in the pre-show warning that it was a very intense attraction that took place mostly in the dark and was not suitable for young children.
                As if the name "Extra TERRORestrial" wasn't enough of a hint. I imagine these are the same people that didn't know Snow White's SCARY Adventure would freak out their 4 year old.
                It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                sigpic

Comment

Every time I rode this, I saw quite a few people ask the CM if it spins. I guess the circular theater plus harnesses gave people the idea. Once they found out it didn't spin they brought the kids right on. So, spinning = scary and blood spattering the kids = fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                    As if the name "Extra TERRORestrial" wasn't enough of a hint. I imagine these are the same people that didn't know Snow White's SCARY Adventure would freak out their 4 year old.
                    I'm in my 30's and Snow White's Scary Adventures freaks me out. That hag jumping out at you at every turn gives me major heebie jeebies... so much that I won't ride it anymore.

People just don't READ or seem to be able to comprehend the meaning of words anymore. TERROR/SCARY means just that.... scary.

Comment

My 3 year old is not scared of Snow White's Scary Adventure. It has a bit of a darkness to some of it, but so does the movie. And he likes the movie.

AE was terrifying. It scared the crap out of my aunt and I enjoyed it.
                      Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I remember AE back in 2000, Was nice I thought! Stitch... what was the point of that?

Interesting idea that it might still be around if it was in Hollywood Studios.
                        Sleeping on Disney sheets...zzz

http://imagineartony.blogspot.com/

Comment

Alien Encounter was awesome. SGE is horrible.
                          Next WDW trip: July 7 - 16, 2010 Wilderness Lodge :yea:

Comment

Originally posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
                            Alien Encounter was awesome. SGE is horrible.
                            Do you think we all should start a petition to bring back AE with updated SFX and possibly a new storyline?

Comment

Do you think we all should start a petition to bring back AE with updated SFX and possibly a new storyline?
                              No.

I think you should write out a concept to bring back Alien Encounter (to a certain extent) on MiceChat.
                              -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
                                No.

I think you should write out a concept to bring back Alien Encounter (to a certain extent) on MiceChat.
                                I guess I'll work on it when I get around to it.

Comment

I guess I'll work on it when I get around to it.
                                  That's what I always say. Then nothing happens.
                                  -Hale (wumbology)

Comment

I'd have loved to see this attraction. I know i'd be scared out of my mind. It could have worked in so many places though! Tomorrowland, MGM, maybe even the imagination pavilion or a new section of animal kingdom? I especially like how it was an original concept, and not one that'd wear out in a few years. Like the timekeeper and space mountain. I wish that Disney would just do ONE tomorrowland the right way. go all out. no more Tomorrowland '98....but it was cut due to budget. Tomorrowland 2055... but it was cut due to budget. How about Tomorrowland (No year?) something that captures the "land of the promise of things to come" not the land of toys and aliens.
                                    Matt!

Comment

Originally posted by Magenta Panther View Post
                                      Oh, do I ever agree with you about Stitch. A very bad concept for a ride. And it's too bad - it's great technically, and it's visually amazing, yet it's a completely obnoxious experience. I heard little kids crying when the lights went off. Stitch was unlikable and SCARY. Who thought that would be fun?

I never got to see Alien Encounter either. I've heard it was pretty good.
                                      I agree that this "ride" is a true stinker - but I'm not sure what they would do with him. I suppose they could turn the attraction into more of an interactive thing like the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor or Turtle Talk with Crush - not being a fan of the little critter, I personally couldn't care less if they just closed the thing altogether but I know that a lot of people like him and would be disappointed if there were no attraction to showcase him. I actually see the line of thinking they used to come up with it - alien invasion/alien stitch escaping - I get where they were going and I actually think the whole escape thing is in keeping with his character - I just don't think recycling an old attraction works here. Maybe they need to set it up like Star Tours - where you're strapped in on the space vehicle that is chasing him down - or set the attraction in Hawaii and chase him around - yes? no? maybe? Anything is better than what is currently in place.

Comment

Originally posted by celticdar View Post
                                        I agree that this "ride" is a true stinker - but I'm not sure what they would do with him. I suppose they could turn the attraction into more of an interactive thing like the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor or Turtle Talk with Crush - not being a fan of the little critter, I personally couldn't care less if they just closed the thing altogether but I know that a lot of people like him and would be disappointed if there were no attraction to showcase him. I actually see the line of thinking they used to come up with it - alien invasion/alien stitch escaping - I get where they were going and I actually think the whole escape thing is in keeping with his character - I just don't think recycling an old attraction works here. Maybe they need to set it up like Star Tours - where you're strapped in on the space vehicle that is chasing him down - or set the attraction in Hawaii and chase him around - yes? no? maybe? Anything is better than what is currently in place.
                                        Or just dump Stitch.
                                        -Hale (wumbology)

Comment

I'm in agreement with everyone who thinks Stitch stinks. I'm all in favor of giving Stitch the boot, and installing Alien Encounter 2.0. Although it's funny how in an attempt to make the attraction suitable for little kids with the Stitch makeover, it seem nobody considered that moments of total darkness is intrinsically terrifying for small children. So now you do have an attraction that nobody likes.

I seem to remember back in the Jurassic era of the interweb, many Disney fans complained on the Usenet how Alien Encounter was too scary. That this was "not Disney," and how this attraction was more suitable for a park like Universal. It never bothered me that Disney attempted something really scary, in fact I wish AE was more scarier.

I loved the pre-show. SIR was (and still is technically) an awesome animatronic. Tim Curry's voice work was tremendous, and set the perfect tone for the show. Now for the actual show, well, I thought it was sorta lacking.

I can remember I was very excited to see AE, and I hadn't heard much about what the attraction was like. I had all sorts of expectations built up, and after I saw it I thought, "that was it?" This was partially Disney's fault. In commercials and promo video they showed what looked like an alien arm bursting out of the floor right next to you (anyone remember this video? I quickly searched YouTube and didn't see it). It lead me to believe that AE was a much crazier than it actually was. I expected something like a scary version of the Tiki Room where everything in the room was going to come alive, and instead I got extended periods of total darkness.

Anyways, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, even with its flaws I wish AE was still at WDW. It was something unique and different, and not based on an animated movie.

Comment

Working...
                                          X