This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Woman injured in boating accident at WDW

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that last Thursday, a 61 year old woman was injured near the Treehouse Villas at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa when her boat got trapped under a ferry boat.

In a statement from the Orange County Sheriff's office, Barbara and Michael Wormald of Celebration and Skipton, England, rented one of the mini-mouse speedboats to explore the WDW waterways. When they neared the Treehouse Villas, they found themselves on a collision course with one of the WDW ferries that travels from Downtown Disney to the local time shares. The ferry captain tried to avoid the speedboat, but Mr. Wormald was unable to react fast enough to avoid colliding with the much larger watercraft, wedging the speedboat underneath the ferry.

While Mr. Wormald's injuries were not reported, Mrs. Wormald was taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center for a collapsed lung, several fractured ribs and back pain.

For more on this story please go to Woman Hurt In Disney Boat Crash - Theme Parks News Story - WESH Orlando and Woman injured in boat crash at Disney | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Woman injured in boating accident at WDW

Ohh brother. Relieved that this wasn't a fatal accident and everyone will live to tell the tale.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Wow thats terrible. Glad they are both generally OK
      Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I want to know what the toxicology report will say...

He stated that he believed the ferry was going to move away for him and his wife,
        ...and before he rented a boat from Cap'N Jacks Marina, did he happen to visit Cap'N Jack's Margarita Bar?

Where, and I am asking seriously, is a small boat ever given right-of-way by a larger vessel? I think his wife received major injuries because someone was allowed to drive a boat that should never drive a boat.

Comment

The Rules of the road are very clear about what each vessel in a meeting situation is reqiured to do!. Now the question is who did what?

I have made many trips on the WDW water craft/ferrys, etc. and always found them to be well, properly and safely handled.

We will just have to see what happened as the facts come out.

I hope and pray the elderly lady recovers soon.

AKK

Comment

I hope she will be ok.

That being said I sincerely hope they don't remove the mini water crafts because of this incident.

Comment

The rules of the road have clear reqiurements as to what each vessel must do in navigational/meeting or passing situations. I have had many trips on the Disney water craft, ferries, etc., and always found them to be well,properly and safely handled. Those canals in that area are somtimes narrow, especaily under the bridges.

We will just have to wait for the facts to come out to see who did what!.

I hope the elderly lady recovers soon.

AKK

Comment

According to Boatus.com, the rule for right of way in this situation is:

Give way to commercial fishing boats or large ships in narrow channels or confined areas.
                Given that the ferry was larger, the fault lies with the driver of the motorboat.
                Growing older is manditory
                Growing up is however, optional

Comment

With all due repect, both BOATS are generally the same size.....the rule does not apply in this case. Large ships, or vessels whose drft restricte their manuvering ability......are given the right of way in that rule.

Without additional information at this time, the general rule is in a head on or nearly head on meeting situation, a port to port
                  passage.............meaning both vessels keep to the right side of the channel (or canal in this case) and keep the other carft on thier left or port side.

But lets face it..........this is a float boat and a personel watercraft or Jet Ski!..........someone did not use good judgement or had no training. I am pretty sure the Disney Skippers have a fair amount of exprience with those float boats.....but time will bring out the facts.

AKK

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
                    With all due repect, both BOATS are generally the same size.....the rule does not apply in this case. Large ships, or vessels whose drft restricte their manuvering ability......are given the right of way in that rule.
                    That is not the case at all. A Sea Raycer is much smaller that one of the DtD ferries. The reason why a small craft must yield to a larger craft is simple physics. As you said, the larger craft can not maneuver as easily.

So to say that one expected the larger craft to move out of the way of a smaller craft is ridiculous. However, the police report states that the pilot of the Sea Raycer was not under impaired by alcohol.
                    sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
                      That is not the case at all. A Sea Raycer is much smaller that one of the DtD ferries. The reason why a small craft must yield to a larger craft is simple physics. As you said, the larger craft can not maneuver as easily.
                      Agreed, those mini-mouse boat, which sit 2 people are WAY smaller than a ferry boat that can seat around a couple dozen people.

Comment

What, if any, training does Disney give to guest before renting them a boat?

When I did the Segway tour, they made me take a training course first. Do they do the same with recreational boats? And if not, why?

-Dusty
                        MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                        Save

Comment

Stupid people. Their everywhere.
                          DisneyTwins
                          Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                            Stupid people. Their everywhere.
                            You mean THEY'RE?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Bah, you beat me to it.
                              I have worked:
                              T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                              Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                              Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Hi Folks, Please let me reword

You are right the ferries are bigger then what amounts to a jet ski. My point was that in the meaning of the *rules of the road*...they are about the same size...........the larger vessel means a SHIP....not boats in canals......

AKK

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                                  What, if any, training does Disney give to guest before renting them a boat?

When I did the Segway tour, they made me take a training course first. Do they do the same with recreational boats? And if not, why?

-Dusty

Fair point, I've never rented on in the DTD area but in the MK area they basically tell you to stay away from all other boats, give the ferries the right of way, obey wake restriction signs, and stay at least 200-300 feet away from the green areas marked on the sign at the docs and by buoys. Plus they have the Boston whaler lifeguard patrol boats out to enforce the rules. Incidents like this one are fairly rare considering the water mice/sea-rays have been around for more than 30 years at WDW but they do happen. I think they are just more widely publicized today with the Internet all all than they where back in the 70's and 80's when it was more of a "local" story...

To the point of the Segway tour, having done it twice myself I think it's either an insurance requirement or maybes even a requirement of Segway since they tell you it's not a replacement for a fully licensed Segway course in the videos and I believe the waivers you have to sign. Plus it's a guided tour vrs a rental so Disney would have more liability in the case of an accident on the tour than when someone rents a vehicle (in this case a boat) and assumes personal responsibility for it.

The second tour goes out into World Showcase after it opens, with other guests who may not be watching where they are going... (actually had several people walk in front of people while on that tour, with us all in a line single file.... it's amazing you wouldn't believe it until it happens to you...) The density of people inthe park and the increased chances of injury to park guest on another park guest are probably more of a factor on the Segway tour than you would normally see on the water.
                                  Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
                                    Hi Folks, Please let me reword

You are right the ferries are bigger then what amounts to a jet ski. My point was that in the meaning of the *rules of the road*...they are about the same size...........the larger vessel means a SHIP....not boats in canals......

AKK
                                    Why does the larger vessel not simply mean the larger vessel? Even in meaning...they're not the same size.

Comment

Because the international and inland Rules of the road were designed for larger vessels, Ship......etc., they do apply to small craft, but have over the years developed legal meanings.........and in this case most small boats...........would all be considered the same generally size.

But the bottom line here is to use common sense.......Don't go out there on the water and play chicken!

We still have not been told what really happened here!

AKK

Comment

Working...
                                      X