Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

No flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights.

Originally posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    On a quick trip to MK this weekend, we ended up a few cars behind a shutterbug at the Haunted Mansion. After the flash was constantly going off from the beginning of the ride, somewhere around the floating crystal ball, my temper peaked (after all, it's hard to look at the ballroom scene if the reflection of someone's flash keeps rebounding in your eyes) and I yelled "TURN THAT CAMERA OFF." It, of course, had no effect on the constant pictures, but it did cause a chorus of others shouting at the camera person, which then caused others to shout about the shouting. Not exactly my proudest moment on record there.

So, I ask the collective wisdom: when someone is taking endless flash pictures and blinding you - what's the best response?
    Exactly what you did, I yell at them. 1 or 2 pics...fine, but constant flashing on Haunted Mansion of all rides and I would have started in on them from the moving pictures hallway.

If they refuse, then at the end of the attraction I would ask the CM if we could ride again due to the incompetence of the flasher.

Comment

Re: No flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights.

^I tried to do this at one point as there was someone a few buggies ahead of me taking pictures AND the audio in the buggy was not working, to my frustration the CM working unload did not let my friend and I ride again. Both of us being CM's, we went and found a coordinator and finally got to ride again =P
      I have worked:
      T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
      Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
      Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Somebody was snapping away on Pirates in Disneyland the other day. Drove me bonkers. Some people are just really inconsiderate of others. Unfortunately, it's part of the park experience.

Comment

the first year I was a Disney cast member, lived alone, and did not know a soul in Orlando, I went to any 1 of the Disney parks 5 or 6 times a week. I observed enough inconsiderate behavior, like using flash photography in indoor attractions, to despise humanity...forever.

But what I really learned is that it doesn't matter how many written, or recorded warning spiels there are or in what languages. Most guests at WDW only get to visit a few times in their lives, they are excited, and they instinctively grab a camera with an unexplainable life or death need to capture the moment for posterity.

I used to come up with creative ways to punish or shame them but it was useless. And it only took away from my experience and the experience of others. After all, in the grand scheme of life, the flash only lasts a second and I knew I was lucky enough to return and experience whatever particular attraction this occurred on, many more times in the days and months ahead.

Having said this, and please note my last name is Rodriguez, this was 10 years ago, but I made mental note of who I saw flashing away, what type of people they are. I picked up on a c;ear pattern. It was overwhelmingly, guests of hispanic or latin origin. I'm just saying.

Also, I recently finally went to Disneyland Paris, and perhaps being a little xenophobic, I asumed rule breaking and inconsiderate behavior, would be more evident at a European theme park. I was soooooooo wrong! I was there only for a day, a busy day, there had to be 50k guests in the park that day, but except for 2 people smoking on line, I thought people, especially children, behaved way better than Americans. And they dressed WAY better too.

Comment

Originally posted by njchuck31 View Post
            Most guests at WDW only get to visit a few times in their lives, they are excited, and they instinctively grab a camera with an unexplainable life or death need to capture the moment for posterity.
            It's because most do not know when or even if they will ever get the chance to see it again! I have only been there twice with a twenty year gap between trips, and it's highly unlikely I'll get to go again for several more years - if ever. So, they grab all the pictures they can while they have the chance, as it may be their last chance!

Myself, I spent my trips filming in 1978, and videotaping in 1997. I took few if any flash photos.
            temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

I could not agree more. I understand that now and don't become upset when I catch a guest taking pictures.

Having said that, and maybe it's because I do not know what it is like to visit a Disney theme park infrequently (at least not between 1997 and 2005), can't memories craving guests be happy with family photos taken OUTSIDE the attractions, postacrds, and attraction POV's on youtube?

Comment

Originally posted by njchuck31 View Post
                I used to come up with creative ways to punish or shame them but it was useless. And it only took away from my experience and the experience of others.
                So true, it just makes it turn from annoying to ugly...

Comment

Once on HM in DL, the person's flash went off as the buggies were turning, and the flash went off right in my eye. Heck yes I yelled out NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY! and they actually listened.

I really wish more CMs would get on the intercom and announce it when there are really bad offenders on board.
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                    Was she REALLY that lazy to walk all the way around to the opposite side of the auditorium and address the person without disrupting the show like a real usher would do?
                    Do you know all the positions? Before you call someone lazy, make sure you know that they are allowed to move. I know back in the day at the Haunted Mansion, at many of our positions we had to yell because we couldn't go to the person directly, but still had to tell them they couldn't do it.

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
                    I don't even know why people take flash pictures on dark rides, they come out looking like crap anyway.
                    Haha for the same reason that they take flash pictures of fireworks.

Originally posted by speedwayslave View Post
                    Both of us being CM's, we went and found a coordinator and finally got to ride again =P
                    It's nice that the coordinator let you reride, but there are reasons, though rare, why sometimes you can't reride on Mansion.

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                    \

I really wish more CMs would get on the intercom and announce it when there are really bad offenders on board.
                    It's something that you can do when there is CCTV in the ride, but some rides don't have that...so there is no way for the CM to monitor it or even know about it when the offenders are on the ride.

And sometimes management frowns upon it. Its the "one guest is more important than the whole" mentality of the Florida parks these days.

Comment

2 people won't really effect OHRC. ;-)
                      I have worked:
                      T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                      Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                      Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post

And sometimes management frowns upon it. Its the "one guest is more important than the whole" mentality of the Florida parks these days.
                        It's not just Florida. Sad that one bad behaving guest is more important than all the good behaving ones on the ride, I guess.
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X