This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] not a ride guy

My wife and I are not to big on some of the rides, mostly due to being prone to motion sickness. Does anyone know what the policy is for going through the queues, but not the rides? I'd love to be able to check things I missed because I don't want to spend the day sick.

Joe

Re: not a ride guy

there are what are called chicken exits at the end of the queues to most of the big attractions. I've never used them, but presume these are normally used when you would stand in the queue with an actual rider. If I just wanted to see the queue and not ride, and nobody in my party was riding, I'd not want to go through the queue at normal pace that's for sure.
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

If you are comfortable doing this, I would walk all the way up until they board her. Then tell them you are just accompanying her and not riding and walk right on through to the exit. Example: when they boarding for Matterhorn, and they ask how many you can tell them just her and walk past the cars to the exits. For Space, you can do the same and walk right "through" the car itself to the exit on the other side.

I have done this a few times when I had to and the CM's are usually very understanding.

Comment

My mom did this when I went on ToT. She walked the queue with me, when we got to the end she just told the cast memeber she did not want to ride. She than rode a normal elevator back down. They will do this for you. And definetly worth it on ToT to see the queue. It is well done!
        Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

1. First off, being Disney folk, they really do pull out all the stops at all of the Disney Parks for everything---including rides. I am a firm believer that you can go to any Disney Park and not ride a thing and STILL get your money's worth. So, for yourself and your companion, no worries. There is so much to see and do without the rides, you'll be fine. The shows are either top notch to amusing; the food can be a blast and the interactivities of guests and things like Innoventions and such will make your experiences much more different then most who go there and think of only 'rides!' We sometimes go and don't ride any either!

2. However, I, too, suffer from motion-sickness due to complications with my inner ear. Does it stop me? Nah. I am a bit forward with the CMs and let them know I'm just seeing the queue or looking for Hidden Mickeys and they get it; they're used to it.

So for you, I wouldn't stress a bit. Sometimes they'll say things like, "well, hold up, I need to get those who are riding first--" and I'm totally cool with that, it gives me time to linger and see even more.

Have a great time,
          Peace,
          Roo
          husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Ahh... misunderstanding on my part.... If your wife rides, you will have no problem whatsoever. I was thinking you'd want to see the queue, but nobody was riding, thus you'd not want to wait in it. If she's riding then a wait in the queue for her is the norm, and you can just pass on by as people have said.

Comment

May I suggest a trip to Tokyo Disney Resort instead? That's where the shows and parades are actually BETTER than the rides, so that may be more your type of Disney park experience? Especially since Tokyo's shows and parades at both DL and DisneySea parks are so varied and plentiful, unlike WDW.

Comment

Yup. There are definitely the chicken doors. They use it for riders like me who end up seeing the ride and changing their minds. I had to use it when we were at the ToT (I have a fear of falling, plus I had a very bad nightmare of it once.), and the CM was very nice and talkative. CMs are great that way and I'm sure they will understand.

Comment

I've used many a chicken exits and never had an issue.
                  FYI the TOT CMs sometimes stay in their grim character while on the chicken exit elevator and its a very weird/funny juxtaposition.

Comment

I have been through every ride at Disney, but not ridden on every ride. Exiting is not a problem, and the cast members know and expect that many guests do this for whatever reason. Go for it, take lots of pictures and enjoy yourself!
                    Julie Shepherd
                    Magical Travel
                    Authorized Disney Vacation Planner
                    JuliesMagicalTravel@comcast.net
                    Toll Free: 1-800-883-1535 Ext. 37

Comment

It is actually a much more common thing then you may think, at rides such as SM it happens a more than a few times an hour.
                      I have worked:
                      T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                      Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                      Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Definately not a problem. Both of you should go in together and alternate which one of you doesn't feel good before you get on the ride and they will show you to the exit. They may even give you a fast pass to return when you are feeling better. Take the fast pass and give it to someone nice, waiting at the fast pass distribution center and they will be able to fast pass another ride, you will make someones day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbum View Post
                          Both of you should go in together and alternate which one of you doesn't feel good before you get on the ride and they will show you to the exit.
                          I don't think there's any need at all for subterfuge - just ask for the chicken exit, and they'll show you the way. It's perfectly acceptable to wait through the queue and then not do the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
                            Yup. There are definitely the chicken doors. They use it for riders like me who end up seeing the ride and changing their minds. I had to use it when we were at the ToT (I have a fear of falling, plus I had a very bad nightmare of it once.), and the CM was very nice and talkative. CMs are great that way and I'm sure they will understand.
                            I read this and wondered how you get close enough to the chicken exit before you think...haunted elevator, fear of falling, and link the 2 things. On further thought, I'm assuming you were queueing with others, and you personally never had any intention of riding.

I also hear that some of the chicken exits are themed as well as the rides themselves.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, I'll give it a try and let you all know how it goes!

Comment

I still tease my mom about taking the chicken exit on SM in 1986! I remember a voice recording saying something about "if you have back problems, high blood pressure...etc etc etc....you should not ride." She saw the chicken exit and headed straight for it (and has never ridden SM in her life!). For some reason I think the door back then actually had a picture of a chicken on it. I guess I need to ease up on her for taking it now that I read that many people have taken it. LOL!
                                WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
                                DLR: 1999, 2009
                                DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
                                http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd be tempted to ease up on the grounds that it's nearly 25 years ago !

Comment

Working...
                                  X