This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Disappearing Fountains

Adventureland used to have 7 to 8 fountains, all have been filled with plants. (Not counting interactive Tiki Totems) One was removed to make room for a Family restroom. I believe they were converted to save water assuming they are a "constant draw of water and overflow type" but most modern fountains use a pool filter recirculating type of system and only top off the fountain as needed. I don't know how many years they have been like this but they should be fixed with a modern fountain system. Bring the fountains back.

Below are some "then & now" pictures and a picture of two fountains elsewhere in the park that are still working - for now.

2 more - no before pictures

And still hanging in there...
    Last edited by Timon; 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM.

Re: Disappearing Fountains

Very interesting thread, and great observation. Save the fountains petition?
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

Comment

I love fountains. I wish there were more.
      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

The sad thing is most of the fountains are still there and just need a little fixing up. I also find disturbing the covering up of some of the tile with paint and stucco. Some of the current paint jobs lack the proper "aging" layer, too.

Comment

I remember years ago there was a drought and they had signs in those fountains that they were turned off to help conserve water...unfortunately, I think they decided just to add flowers and pretend they were never there.

It upsets me because I love WDW's water features, and more are definitely needed...I especially miss the Caribbean plaza ones!

Hopefully one day they'll be back, and the FLE will add more water to the MK.
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Quick list of outdoor general water features in the MK
            (I'm quite sure I missed a few, feel free to add any I missed)

Fountains with plants -

1. Outside near Adventureland Veranda
            2. Between Jungle Cruise and PoC
            3. PoC queue courtyard
            4. PoC store courtyard
            5. Left of Capt Jack's stage
            6. El Pirata y el Perico courtyard under stairs
            7. Pecos Bill fountain to right of bathrooms

Removed park water features -
            1. Small fountain outside PoC bathroom, now Family restroom.
            2. King Triton fountain, lost when 20K was filled in.
            3. Fountain between Small World and Peter Pan at base of Skyway pylon, removed with pylon.
            4. Tomorrowland entrance fountain towers, lost during Tland remodel.
            5. Tomorrowland skyway water fall, removed with building.
            6. Pooh's Playground - gone but maybe reborn with Pooh's tree as part of the ride queue.
            7. Ariel's Grotto - OK this will be a trade up for a cool ride with outside water features.

Reduced water feature -
            1. Tiki Room waterfalls and pond greatly reduced for Alladin
            2. Spitting Camels - the head on the outer camel used to turn

Still there -
            1. Cinderella fountain
            2. Pinocchio's outdoor seating
            3. Outside Crystal Palace Restroom fountain
            4. Disney Story outer garden (Won't know current status until rehab is done)
            5. Tiki Totems
            6. Tomorrowland Marble (only works half the time)
            7. Donald's Boat - still there for now.
            Last edited by Timon; 05-16-2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Pecos Bills and El Pirata have fountains that are no longer used. I've heard cast members mention how all the fountains don't work.
              DisneyTwins
              Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                Pecos Bills and El Pirata have fountains that are no longer used. I've heard cast members mention how all the fountains don't work.
                I have the El Pirata fountain on my list (#6 pardon my spelling) but can you describe the fountain location in Pecos Bill's?

Comment

It's the one in the middle. The one with the hanging lanterns. It's in the upper left hand corner of that dining room.
                  DisneyTwins
                  Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                    It's the one in the middle. The one with the hanging lanterns. It's in the upper left hand corner of that dining room.
                    The small room directly to the right of the restrooms inside? That one is gone? I haven't eaten in Pecos Bill's in a while, but I'd be sad to see that one go too. That room always seems so much less crowded than the others in there.
                    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Thanks Yoyoflamingo & DisneyTwins I'll check it out next week. I had no idea about that fountain.

Comment

It is the one directly to the right of the restrooms. It just has a plant in it now.
                        DisneyTwins
                        Since May 2003

Comment

Working...
                        X