Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Underground Area in Epcot??

I was looking up some Flower and Garden Festival information and I stumbled upon this information:

Unlike the Magic Kingdom, Epcot only contains tunnels underneath the buildings that contain Innoventions East, the Electric Umbrella, MouseGear, Innoventions West, and the building housing Club Cool and Fountain View Ice Cream. The tunnels are used primarily for the support facilities necessary for the merchandise shops and restaurants contained therein (stock rooms, break rooms, prep kitchens, garbage disposal, etc). There is an entry/exit corridor that runs from the northeast corner of the tunnels (the area below Innoventions East/the Electric Umbrella restaurant) to a backstage area located between the Universe of Energy/Ellen's Energy Adventure and the east side of the main entrance complex. Because World Showcase is at the rear of Epcot, backstage areas simply run behind the perimeter of World Showcase.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcot

I was wondering if this is really true? I never knew that Epcot contained underground tunnels, if so, that's pretty cool. :thumbup:

Re: Underground Area in Epcot??

That matches with what I've always heard. Another thing that blows my mind is that Spaceship Earth was designed with a series of gutters to siphon off rain so that it doesn't fall in big sheets on the people below. It goes into a gutter that runs out to the World Showcase Lagoon and empties there. Cool, huh? Try it next time it rains when you're in Epcot. Stand under Spaceship Earth - NO RAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
      That matches with what I've always heard. Another thing that blows my mind is that Spaceship Earth was designed with a series of gutters to siphon off rain so that it doesn't fall in big sheets on the people below. It goes into a gutter that runs out to the World Showcase Lagoon and empties there. Cool, huh? Try it next time it rains when you're in Epcot. Stand under Spaceship Earth - NO RAIN!
      WOW that is so cool! And really smart.

Comment

I've felt a few drops. It's not totally perfect.

This info makes sense. All the other pavilions are on the border of the park so the backstage areas just run behind them.
        -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
          I was wondering if this is really true? I never knew that Epcot contained underground tunnels, if so, that's pretty cool. :thumbup:
          True. They are short and limited in where they go, but they are there too.

Comment

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
            I've felt a few drops. It's not totally perfect.
            Seriously? A few drops? Well, yeah, of course there will be a few drops. But think of all the water hitting that surface, totally unguided and uncontrolled, coming down onto the heads of the folks below. It just doesn't happen that way thanks to some very careful engineering.

Comment

Now that I did know but its still cool to read.

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
              True. They are short and limited in where they go, but they are there too.
              Sweet! Thanks!

Comment

yup, they exist. last i heard, they were full of boxes containing the old wristbands for EMH (but this was over 18 months ago, so i'm sure that has changed by now)
                Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

It's nothing special, trust me.
                  DisneyTwins
                  Since May 2003

Comment

One of the last couple of times I was in the World, I purchased a documentary put out by The History Channel - it's part of their Modern Marvel series. They did an hour on WDW - one of the things they covered was the engineering behind Spaceship Earth and the drainage design you described is discussed - pretty amazing. If you haven't seen that DVD, I highly recommend it - It was made while Expedition Everest was being built and you can see how they created it. Joe Rohde is interviewed pretty heavily when they get to the section on Animal Kingdom - It also tells how they created attractions like Soarin' and others. It's an interesting piece.

Comment

I saw that show on TV on the History Channel - it's a valuable addition to my Disney dvd collection!

Comment

Wow... I didn't know any of this! Thanks for the cool info!
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X