This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Fifth gate for WDW?

I'm sure it has been debated before, but is a fifth gate still needed eventually at WDW? If so, what theme or has Disney done it all in the four operating parks?

Re: Fifth gate for WDW?

Team Disney Orlando hardly wants to spend money on the parks they have now, so I don't see the point of adding another theme park.
    sigpic

Comment

WDW in no way shape of form needs a 5th gate. They need to actually spend money on the 4 parks they have first!

Comment

There's been a lot of rumors/ideas surfacing on the internet over the past years about a 5th gate. Two of the most discussed ideas were a 'night kingdom' and villains park (or a night/villains park). As far as I know, the idea behind the night kingdom was a special, high-priced park catering to the more adventurous tourist. It would be more about ziplines and special experiences rather than rides. That's all I know, but someone else can probably fill in the details.

As far as a 5th gate opening any time soon, it's probably not going to happen. As OC said, TDO isn't known for spending, and a new park would be a HUGE (and possibly frivolous) expense. But unlike a lot of rumors out there, there is plenty of room at the resort for another park. There's just no announced (or even viable rumors of) plans at this time.
        Walt Disney World - August 2010!

Comment

I'm still surprised they are even expanding Fantasyland

Comment

Originally posted by Kritter View Post
            Join the club! Glad to see that they've gotten out of the 'do nothing' rut they've been in for the last year, though.
            By the way, love your signature! )
            Last edited by drumbum67; 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM.
            Walt Disney World - August 2010!

Comment

Don't expect a 5th gate for at least the next 30 years IF THAT! However they may build small boutique parks/experiences in the near future like Discovery Cove at SeaWorld.

Comment

When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, people extended the length of their vacations to Walt Disney World. When the Disney-MGM Studios opened in 1989, people extended the length of their vacations to Walt Disney World. When Disney's Animal Kingdom opened in 1998, people did not extend the length of their vacations to Walt Disney World. Sorry, but there would have to be a greater shift in how Americans vacations in order to justify a fifth park. A new park would just be ignored or distraction people from spending as much time in the existing parks. A boutique park could work, but not a standard theme park.

Comment

I agree there is absolutely zero need for a 5th gate at WDW. Theoretically, any new attraction that anyone could ever dream up could fit somewhere in one of the existing parks.

Another 5th gate idea I've seen kicking around the internets is a fanboy fantasy for a WDW version of Tokyo DisneySea. Um yeah, that ain't never going to happen. Although being an optimist, it might be possible (although sadly unlikely considering how tight WDW is with spending money on attractions) to see a clone of a DisneySea attraction at WDW one day. Maybe. Think happy thoughts...

Comment

i think disneyland resort in california will get a 3rd gate before theres even a 5th gate added in wdw theres no need for it

Comment

If they had built a 5th gate by now, the World would be in even more of a stagnant state.
                      sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
                      Walt Disney

Comment

I agree with all of you. There is no need for a fifth gate at this time.

However, in regard to the other 4 gates and all of the work and plussing the current Team Disney seems reluctant to accomplish at this time.......does anyone else miss Michael Eisner?
                        Remember The Magic!

Comment

When I become an imagineer (hopefully) I will take WDW by storm and fix all these problems (extremely unlikely) lol.

Really though, I agree with you all. Another park like AK could simply be expanded upon and improved on. Maybe then guests would extend their vacation. But considering the number of average joes who will half-day AK and DHS, no one is extending anytime soon unless major changes are made.

Comment

I don't think that any sort of 5th gate is justified for the parks because there are substantial areas that can be used for new attractions and there are plenty of existing attractions that could be replaced or plussed. Strike that. New attractions MUST be built. And attractions MUST be plussed. More so the former than the latter.

The only way they'd be crazy enough to develop another gate or even another completely new resort is if they were going to sink the money necessary into making it a must-see, full-day park, which isn't going to happen, and shouldn't happen because of the current state of the parks.

Comment

The boutique park idea was Jay Rasulo's brainchild...something for him to be remembered by. Thankfully, his plans died with the economy. Disney's current initiative is to expand overseas. In the near future, at least, a new park will not be built (not to say concepts don't already exists, but as mentioned here previously, there is not much of a need.) The existing parks will be plussed (and their problems, such as the Animal Kingdom's and Studio's lack of attractions, be solved) before a fifth park is built.

Comment

Well, I guess the majority of posters feel there is no need for a fifth gate. I somewhat agree, but would like to mention that this opinion would have negated Disney/MGM Studios park. Why was anything more needed than the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center? Afterall, Universal Studios was already movie-themed park for Orlando. Duplication.

Michael Eisner has gotten a lot of bad press, but he did build two new parks for WDW and what I think is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom of all. I have had the fortune to visit the Paris park.

If WDW is stagnant, then maybe a new full-day park is what might help increase tourism to see something new and extend stay.

I'm sure Harry Potter will attract more people to Universal.

I like the DisneySea idea, nix Villains. I also like the Superheros concept along with aviation/space/sci-fi.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Potterland seems to the be the general drive behind the Fantasyland expansion.

Honestly even if a 5th gate were built...I honestly dont know what theme ideas they would have left to go on. I actually think every grand idea under the sun has been done. And while a DisneySea park in the U.S. would be great...it would be too repetitive because of the World Showcase and Asian/African areas in DAK.

I agree that expanding the current parks is better though this might be a bigger challenge because of areas being closed off by nearby hotels or other facilities. They would have to tear out major roads just to add anymore land to Disney Studios. And the Yacht & Beach hotels are so close to the World Showcase area that adding new Pavilions would be a big challenge there as well. And there's also the massive water and animal facilities that surround Animal Kingdom.

It's easier for Imagineers to come up with new attractions than it is a new park. Any 5th gate as this point would be almost DCA in comparison to the parks already there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kritter View Post
                                    FLE wasn't TDO's idea, it was forced on them by Glendale.

Comment

Originally posted by Meyers View Post
                                      Well, I guess the majority of posters feel there is no need for a fifth gate. I somewhat agree, but would like to mention that this opinion would have negated Disney/MGM Studios park. Why was anything more needed than the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center? Afterall, Universal Studios was already movie-themed park for Orlando. Duplication.
                                      The Disney-MGM Studios was built to get people to stay at Walt Disney World for a longer amount of time. The same for Disney's Animal Kingdom. The problem is that people did not make their vacations longer to see Disney's Animal Kingdom, like they did for the Disney-MGM Studios. A fifth park would just cause people to spend less time at the other parks. Thinner crowds may seem like a plus, but the increased expenses of building and operating a new park are much greater than expanding the existing parks.

If WDW is stagnant, then maybe a new full-day park is what might help increase tourism to see something new and extend stay.
                                      Stagnation is caused by what is there being allowed to just sit as it always has been being used and used without some love or updates. A new park would take up significant financial resources that could be spent of refurbishments, upgrades and expansions.

Comment

I know that people would enjoy a new park. However, I am glad to see that they are looking to update and fix the current parks first. The best example of this is the Magic Kingdom, the FantasyLand expansion has been needed for a very long time.
                                        Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

Working...
                                        X