X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fifth gate for WDW?

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
    You mean like DCA....
    Well I think what will happen is, if they see a HUGE increase in attendance at DCA because of this massive investment, we will see this duplicated to our parks here in FL.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I agree I'm not saying its a bad idea, but why does WDW seem to get singled out all the time.
      Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Actually, DCA got at least as much criticism as any other park. The difference is that DCA is getting the investment it needs,, whereas only the MK has a large scale project ongoing.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUSHIE View Post
          One thing I wish they had kept from Disney's original idea was the idea for transportation. There is no logical way to build new monorails though since the location of other parks and things is so random. It pains me to go to the MK and see how it was supposed to fit in with the rest of the original plans. The ticket and transportation center really only makes sense when MK was to be the only theme park. The buses really are the only decent way of getting people to all of the different places.

They said they didn't run with his plans because they didn't want to be involved with running a city, but I think what it is now is just as complicated. Disney world's original EPCOT was to have 20,000 citizens. Disney World now employs almost 70,000 people.

Who knows though maybe the city would have failed just as bad and the Future World concept at today's EPCOT.

/rant.
          The current Future World has a concept?

An expansion of the monorail system to include the entire resort is still possible. It's just not as simple and elegant as the Seven Seas Lagoon loop. The big question (besides who would pay for it) is how many transfers guests would be willing to endure.
          It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
          sigpic

Comment

It DID have a concept. That was exactly my point.

Also the fact that it would require multiple transfers is why extending the monorail wouldn't work. With the buses, at any location you can get on a bus that goes directly to any other location. With the monorail the only way it could really work is that if every dedicated monorail monorail (for the 4 parks for example) went to a new larger and somewhat centralised ticket and transportation center. This would only require one transfer to get to any park. There is no way that the facility would be able to accommodate that many people though, so that's why expanding the monorail really isn't possible.

Of course since whatever expansion they would do would build upon the Magic Kingdom/EPCOT monorail that already exists which makes things even more complicated.
            Last edited by SLUSHIE; 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

So what were Walt Disney plans for transportation when he planned the Florida project?

Comment

Disney is expanding the POP Century resort to complete the original design which was stopped during original build. Disney has looked at several other projects though most are expansions.

Any expansion Disney wants they really need to think about including plans for Reedy Creek Improvement District to increase the number of fire stations, ambulances and firefighters serving Disney property. The last REAL expansion of the fire department was done when EPCOT opened in 1982. The number of calls run at that time was about 1200 to 1500 calls a year. since that time Disney has added MGM, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Wide World of Sports, Pop Century Hotel, Grand Floridian Hotel, The Race Track, Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coranado Springs Resort and the all star Hotel. Along with several Hotels that are not Disney owned but Reedy Creek still covers. The call load now is close to 30,000 calls per year. This includes EMS & Fire.

Reedy Creek opened two new stations since EPCOT opened. However, no new people were added they only divided the people they had up to cover more area. Not so many years ago Disney never wanted to see and outside agency on property for fire or ems. Now it is a regular occurrence to find Orange County Fire Department or Osceola Fire Department responding to calls on the Disney Property. The only real expansion to the fire department was the implementation or the MARC program (2 Medics on 2 golf carts in each of the theme parks and 1 in Downtown Disney)

Not only is Disney letting the parks go, the safety of the guests is starting to be compromised.

Comment

Working...
                X