X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rodneyrodent
    replied
    Re: Fifth gate for WDW?

Disney is expanding the POP Century resort to complete the original design which was stopped during original build. Disney has looked at several other projects though most are expansions.

Any expansion Disney wants they really need to think about including plans for Reedy Creek Improvement District to increase the number of fire stations, ambulances and firefighters serving Disney property. The last REAL expansion of the fire department was done when EPCOT opened in 1982. The number of calls run at that time was about 1200 to 1500 calls a year. since that time Disney has added MGM, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Wide World of Sports, Pop Century Hotel, Grand Floridian Hotel, The Race Track, Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coranado Springs Resort and the all star Hotel. Along with several Hotels that are not Disney owned but Reedy Creek still covers. The call load now is close to 30,000 calls per year. This includes EMS & Fire.

Reedy Creek opened two new stations since EPCOT opened. However, no new people were added they only divided the people they had up to cover more area. Not so many years ago Disney never wanted to see and outside agency on property for fire or ems. Now it is a regular occurrence to find Orange County Fire Department or Osceola Fire Department responding to calls on the Disney Property. The only real expansion to the fire department was the implementation or the MARC program (2 Medics on 2 golf carts in each of the theme parks and 1 in Downtown Disney)

Not only is Disney letting the parks go, the safety of the guests is starting to be compromised.

Leave a comment:

• aznsamurai
    replied

So what were Walt Disney plans for transportation when he planned the Florida project?

Leave a comment:

• SLUSHIE
    replied

It DID have a concept. That was exactly my point.

Also the fact that it would require multiple transfers is why extending the monorail wouldn't work. With the buses, at any location you can get on a bus that goes directly to any other location. With the monorail the only way it could really work is that if every dedicated monorail monorail (for the 4 parks for example) went to a new larger and somewhat centralised ticket and transportation center. This would only require one transfer to get to any park. There is no way that the facility would be able to accommodate that many people though, so that's why expanding the monorail really isn't possible.

Of course since whatever expansion they would do would build upon the Magic Kingdom/EPCOT monorail that already exists which makes things even more complicated.
    Last edited by SLUSHIE; 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dapper Dan
    replied

Originally posted by SLUSHIE View Post
    One thing I wish they had kept from Disney's original idea was the idea for transportation. There is no logical way to build new monorails though since the location of other parks and things is so random. It pains me to go to the MK and see how it was supposed to fit in with the rest of the original plans. The ticket and transportation center really only makes sense when MK was to be the only theme park. The buses really are the only decent way of getting people to all of the different places.

They said they didn't run with his plans because they didn't want to be involved with running a city, but I think what it is now is just as complicated. Disney world's original EPCOT was to have 20,000 citizens. Disney World now employs almost 70,000 people.

Who knows though maybe the city would have failed just as bad and the Future World concept at today's EPCOT.

/rant.
    The current Future World has a concept?

An expansion of the monorail system to include the entire resort is still possible. It's just not as simple and elegant as the Seven Seas Lagoon loop. The big question (besides who would pay for it) is how many transfers guests would be willing to endure.

Leave a comment:

• disneyfann121
    replied

Actually, DCA got at least as much criticism as any other park. The difference is that DCA is getting the investment it needs,, whereas only the MK has a large scale project ongoing.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick
    replied

I agree I'm not saying its a bad idea, but why does WDW seem to get singled out all the time.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
    You mean like DCA....
    Well I think what will happen is, if they see a HUGE increase in attendance at DCA because of this massive investment, we will see this duplicated to our parks here in FL.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick
    replied

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Disney should invest in improving their existing parks before even thinking about yet another gate. They could EASILY spend another billion on WDW to fix all the problem areas, add to the underdeveloped parks, and replace the weakest "attractions". That would be a far better investment than building another malnourished, half day park, with the intention of slowly adding to it later. Enough with that cynical strategy.
    You mean like DCA....

Leave a comment:

• disneyfann121
    replied

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Disney should invest in improving their existing parks before even thinking about yet another gate. They could EASILY spend another billion on WDW to fix all the problem areas, add to the underdeveloped parks, and replace the weakest "attractions". That would be a far better investment than building another malnourished, half day park, with the intention of slowly adding to it later. Enough with that cynical strategy.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 08-07-2010, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SLUSHIE
    replied

I can see how that is true.

Most people only have 1 week available for vacation.

So adding another park wouldn't allow people to spend more time away from work, but just restrict all of what they are capable of seeing with their available time.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    When EPCOT Center opened in 1982, people extended the length of their vacations to Walt Disney World. When the Disney-MGM Studios opened in 1989, people extended the length of their vacations to Walt Disney World. When Disney's Animal Kingdom opened in 1998, people did not extend the length of their vacations to Walt Disney World. Sorry, but there would have to be a greater shift in how Americans vacations in order to justify a fifth park. A new park would just be ignored or distraction people from spending as much time in the existing parks. A boutique park could work, but not a standard theme park.
    I don't think that's true at all. I'm curious where you get you're numbers from.

Leave a comment:

• Jspider
    replied

[quote=DisneyDude12;1056144945]
    Originally posted by inluvwithbeast View Post
    When I become an imagineer (hopefully) I will take WDW by storm and fix all these problems

I am hoping to become an imagineer too, and I will gladly help you fix WDW and also DLP (I hate DLP)
    realizing imagineers are mostly hired by park management to address chosen issues.

Imagineering has to sell park management on its ideas and management can say no Imagineering can't just rush in and do whatever they want sadly haha.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyDude12
    replied

[QUOTE=inluvwithbeast;1056011080]When I become an imagineer (hopefully) I will take WDW by storm and fix all these problems

I am hoping to become an imagineer too, and I will gladly help you fix WDW and also DLP (I hate DLP)

Leave a comment:

• SLUSHIE
    replied

One thing I wish they had kept from Disney's original idea was the idea for transportation. There is no logical way to build new monorails though since the location of other parks and things is so random. It pains me to go to the MK and see how it was supposed to fit in with the rest of the original plans. The ticket and transportation center really only makes sense when MK was to be the only theme park. The buses really are the only decent way of getting people to all of the different places.

They said they didn't run with his plans because they didn't want to be involved with running a city, but I think what it is now is just as complicated. Disney world's original EPCOT was to have 20,000 citizens. Disney World now employs almost 70,000 people.

Who knows though maybe the city would have failed just as bad and the Future World concept at today's EPCOT.

/rant.

Leave a comment:

• icepenguin77
    replied

Originally posted by cordonbleu View Post
    Cordonbleus Magical Imaginary Walt Disney World Expansion timeline!!!

DHS
    Carsland Construction breaks ground after a phenomenal opening at DCA..
    $500m

ANIMAL KINGDOM
    Construction begins on a new NightTime Spectacular Watershow similar to World of Colour at DCA.
    $100m

MAGIC KINGDOM
    Fantasyland Upgrade Complete and open to Public

ANIMAL KINGDOM
    Animals of Colour Premieres
    Construction Begins on Beastly Kingdom

$500m

DHS
    Carsland Opens to the public

EPCOT
    Construction begins on two new World Showcase Exhibits.
    $400m

DOWNTOWN DISNEY
    Construction Begins on Disneys Broadway, with two full sized theatres with 1200 seat capacities... Disney's Biggest Musical Theatre hits will have residency at its two theatres, along with new Cafes, Restaurants and Bars to compliment the new area.
    $300m

ANIMAL KINGDOM
    Beastly Kingdom opens to the public.

MAGIC KINGDOM
    Tomorrowland $150million Makeover Begins

DHS
    Construction begins on new Monsters Inc indoor Rollercoaster.
    $200m

EPCOT
    The two new pavillions at World Showcase open to the public.

DOWNTOWN DISNEY
    Disneys Broadway opens to the public with Daily perfomances WED-SUN of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and The Beast.....

DHS
    Monsters Inc Dark Coaster opens to the public.

MAGIC KINGDOM
    Tomorrowland Mods Completed

DISNEYWORLD 5th Gate
    Ground is broken on the fifth gate at Walt Disney World with an intended opening of OCTOBER 1 2021 to celebrate Diensyworlds 50th Anniversary.
    Possible Themes - Disney American Adventure, DisneySEA, Coaster Kingdom.
    $2.5b

RESORTWIDE
    Construction of a Walt Disney World Monorail extension to Downtown Disney, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom the new 5th Gate and several more Resorts gets underway with a planned October 2021 opening date.
    $700m

DISNEYWORLD 5th Gate
    Opens to the public

RESORTWIDE
    The new Monorail System is opened to the public

NOTES

What it equates to is a $2.15Billion dollar investment over the initial 6year period, followed by a further $3.2billion over the following 5years.... $487million per year...

Pie in the Sky?.... Most Definitely..

What it would equal??? .... A Breathtaking resort that appeals to ABSOLUTELY EVERYBODY!!!!

Could something like this be on the cards? One could only hope and dream!
    Please, WDI, think of something a little more creative than this. Animals of Color? seems more like a cheesy rip off of World of Color. How about an entirely new water based show unlike anything else. Carsland? Do you really want to see all of Disneyland's 2nd gate cloned into Disney World? As of now, Carsland will the only thing worthwhile exclusive do DCA.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by slushie View Post
    there aren't any new theme park for disney to copy.

Maybe when the legoland opens disney will contract with mega blocks and build a new park.
    rofl

Leave a comment:

• SLUSHIE
    replied

There aren't any new theme park for Disney to copy.

Maybe when the Legoland opens Disney will contract with Mega Blocks and build a new park.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Actually I am going to say more... I think with some of the new flights from South America that have opened up, along with their stronger economies it might be possible to bring in another 7 million people to Orlando....

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

All I am going to say about a traditional 5th gate is what I have been saying for years
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...kingdom-4.html

The question for a traditional 5th gate would be, would it increase the number of onsite visitors (instead of spreading the number of onsite visitors thinner)

So for instance right now at any given time there can be over 100,000 people on Disney property. With a 5th gate would you be able to increase that 20%? So adding an additional 7.3 million visitors a year?

In all honesty it is possible, but not very likely. That being said, if you can build a park for half the price, have it occupy 1/4 the footprint of a traditional park, and cater to a demographic that you are currently missing, generate consistent profits, and help diverisfy your brand it would be hard to say no to an option like that.

Leave a comment:

• Bystander
    replied

Originally posted by EPCOTCENTERed View Post
    With Universal getting Harry Potter, how about buying the rights to a Lord of the Rings world?
    Tolkien hated Disney.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X