Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

Foxxfur blogs at passport2dreams.blogspot.com.

Comment

I've almost chimed in with my 2 cents on a number of points touched on in this thread, but it's this idea that every attraction MUST have a story that's been irritating me for a while.

Nowadays you can't read or watch any sort of Disney Park PR about a new attraction without hearing the now patented "how it all starts with a story" BS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against any attraction that has a narrative, but attractions don't necessarily need one to be successful.

The Haunted Mansion and POTC are two legacy attractions. They are attractions that define what makes the Disney Parks unique, and they do not have a story. They might have a kind of three act structure (which might simply be called "pacing"), but not a story.

A word I like better than "story" is "showmanship." I think showmanship is the most important aspect of any themed attraction, and can be applied to any facet of the attraction that a guest can experience. Showmanship is a fundamental quality of any great entertainer - whether it's the performer on stage, or someone out of the spotlight like a writer or director. I'd describe showmanship as a keen talent and passion to deliver the most entertaining show possible for audience. I'd hope any Imagineer working on a new attraction has an extreme perception of showmanship. I'd like the management (all those with the MBA's who control the money) to understand showmanship too, but that might be asking for too much.

Comment

Originally posted by nicoleloveswalt View Post
        What is the general consensus on the Jungle Cruise? The skipper frequently acknowledges that we're a in a theme park, but if the boat ride were silent, we'd never know that. How was the Jungle Cruise presented in Walt's day?
        Is that honestly a foregone conclusion? Maybe it's different in WDW, I don't know, but in DL some Skips actually made the effort to not highlight the theme park environment. The style varies from boat to the next and in that respect each is self aware, but some make the active decision to create characters and remain within the established time of the 1930's... again depends on the individual.

You could then take that a step further and ask "Does the public care?" And the answer would usually be no. most don't even notice. So even under the best of circumstances some don't wish to be removed from the theme park reality.
        "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan Guy View Post
          The Haunted Mansion and POTC are two legacy attractions. They are attractions that define what makes the Disney Parks unique, and they do not have a story. They might have a kind of three act structure (which might simply be called "pacing"), but not a story.

A word I like better than "story" is "showmanship." I think showmanship is the most important aspect of any themed attraction, and can be applied to any facet of the attraction that a guest can experience. Showmanship is a fundamental quality of any great entertainer - whether it's the performer on stage, or someone out of the spotlight like a writer or director. I'd describe showmanship as a keen talent and passion to deliver the most entertaining show possible for audience. I'd hope any Imagineer working on a new attraction has an extreme perception of showmanship. I'd like the management (all those with the MBA's who control the money) to understand showmanship too, but that might be asking for too much.
          Excellent post!

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan Guy View Post
            I've almost chimed in with my 2 cents on a number of points touched on in this thread, but it's this idea that every attraction MUST have a story that's been irritating me for a while.

Nowadays you can't read or watch any sort of Disney Park PR about a new attraction without hearing the now patented "how it all starts with a story" BS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against any attraction that has a narrative, but attractions don't necessarily need one to be successful.

Precisely, Michigan Guy! It's not always about story. What's the story in Space Mountain? Or the Matterhorn? Truth is... you don't need one. It's fun for the sake of being what it is.

The GUESTS get to make up their own story of why they're doing this.

Is there a story in the Mad Tea Cups? Errr nothing whatever! It certainly was inspired by a story but there's no lame-brained idea about how the Mad Hatter created massive tea cups so that the party never ends. It's just a bit of fun.

What the Tea Cups DOES have is SHOWMANSHIP. It's a simple carnival ride but redesigned to be quite remarkable. It becomes something that can be enjoyed by both guests who ride... and guests who don't.

I'd like to bring up A Bug's Land for a moment and why it is Imagineering at the very worst. This is a land that actually has a story. They've thought it through. The guests walk through FLIK'S FUN FAIR... a place that Flik obviously designed to entertain his fellow bug friends. The guests becomes a part of that experience.

.... but wait a minute. Why is Flik's Flyers and the circus over Tuck and Roll's the ONLY attractions that have elements of being "made by bugs"? Flik's Flyers at least resembles an invention, created entirely by found objects.

But every other attraction there is completely the opposite! Francis Boogie, you're riding in massive lady bug heads. In the Bumper Cars, you're not riding in vehicles that the bugs made... you're riding IN THE BUGS THEMSELVES. weird. Then you sit in Heimlich while he eats everything in sight.

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? The theming does a number on most guests, tricking them into liking it because they like the feel of the land and it gives their tiny kids something to see for 5 minutes. But I see right through it.

or maybe Paradise Pier 2001 was Imagineering at its worst.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Every attraction and land has, and always had a story called a "show guide." The term "story" doesn't have to be so literally narrative. Story is the foundation; the backstory that provides the means for all the little details that people crave. It gives a sense of direction and focus. To say you don't need it, in some form or another, is pretty much like saying "just make it look good." And thus you get problems like DCA, DHS, etc.

I personally like the variety of being able to see a narrative attraction like Nemo, and then sit back for a spectacle like Small World. That variety offers everyone something.

Originally posted by manifest View Post
              I know, crazy me..what was I thinking? The heavy hitters are still around, and we have American Idol: The Experience and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage to show for it.

Point taken!
              And when the "masters" were there you had Phantom Boats, Hall of Chemistry, and Astuter Computer Revue

It really seems to me like many in the fan community just hold onto nostalgia and anything new is immediately deemed as "not good enough." I know I'm going to get blasted for this with comments like "when they finally do a good job..." and "if they would increase budgets..." and "they don't care like they used to..." and "if they would think bigger" but I assure you that most, if not all of the people in the development and design of these attractions do care about making a great experience, and are much more competent at doing so than fans give credit for. Unfortunately, so many wonderful things are created that will never see the light of day because of spreadsheets and business decisions.
              Last edited by Taggart; 07-02-2010, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taggart View Post
                And when the "masters" were there you had Phantom Boats, Hall of Chemistry, and Astuter Computer Revue

It really seems to me like many in the fan community just hold onto nostalgia and anything new is immediately deemed as "not good enough."
                It's unfortunate that so many Disney defenders are unable to come up with better arguments than citing the Phantom Boats, the Hall of Aluminum, the Crane Bathroom of the Future; and declaring with pride that Disney theme parks are better than Six Flags -- along with repeating ad nauseam the decade-old Stock Al Lutz Bash of "you just don't like change." Weak, specious arguments and fallacies that have been disproved over and over on this forum for years.

Given the dozens of well written, well researched posts on this thread and others, from fans who love Disney theme parks, that offer thoughtful critiques of Disney, one would think Disney's defenders could write something as thoughtful to support their point of view... instead of the same, weary ad hominem T-shirt slogans about nostalgia and change.

Comment

What's the difference between Harry Potter and a rubber shark?

Practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bystander View Post
                    What's the difference between Harry Potter and a rubber shark?

Practice.
                    Love this!
                    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Every attraction and land has, and always had a story called a "show guide." The term "story" doesn't have to be so literally narrative. Story is the foundation; the backstory that provides the means for all the little details that people crave. It gives a sense of direction and focus. To say you don't need it, in some form or another, is pretty much like saying "just make it look good." And thus you get problems like DCA, DHS, etc.
                      Where exactly is Adventureland placed? I mean if it is a backstory then it must be somewhere right? What about Frontierland? where's that one at? Again it has to have a specific backstory right? What about Tomorrowland?... the creation of a backstory is something Tony came up with for Thunder. WED just put things in a land that matched the theme of the land. They didn't bother to explain it. You weren't told what Jungle you touring, just that you were touring a Jungle in a Jungle themed land. You weren't told what year it was, just that you were getting on a futuristic submarine to tour a lagoon. That's the thing, WED never bothered to explain things, they let YOU explain them for yourself... Mansion... Pirates... I can keep going if you like. Look at Indy as a stunning example, or even Star Tours. How much "explaining" is in Star Tours queue and pre-show in comparison to Space Mountain? How much explaining is in Indy's queue and pre-show in comparison to Jungle Cruise (which has a new boathouse that "explains more" thanks to Indy).

The old show guide was little more then "we're going to theme this land around a Jungle Outpost" or "Hey we should have an Old West style theme in this land".

It really seems to me like many in the fan community just hold onto nostalgia and anything new is immediately deemed as "not good enough." I know I'm going to get blasted for this with comments like "when they finally do a good job..." and "if they would increase budgets..." and "they don't care like they used to..." and "if they would think bigger" but I assure you that most, if not all of the people in the development and design of these attractions do care about making a great experience, and are much more competent at doing so than fans give credit for. Unfortunately, so many wonderful things are created that will never see the light of day because of spreadsheets and business decisions.
                      So if I am reading this correctly you are saying that we shouldn't expect more, but they do more, but Disney Corporate doesn't allow them to do more... so we shouldn't complain about a slashed budget even though you acknowledge the budget is cut back (the spreadsheets comment).

I'll be the first one to tell you I don't think the budget is the issue. I think how WDI spends the budget is the issue... I've seen more money squandered on projects then spent on them. I cite the Disneyland Jungle Cruise 50th refurb as an example. For what they spent on getting 2 new scenes and a new S.Falls facade... we could have refreshed all the scenes with more AA's and better scenery.
                      "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

sigpic

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Comment

It really seems to me like many in the fan community just hold onto nostalgia and anything new is immediately deemed as "not good enough."
                        Are they wrong?

Look, Walt taught us early on that he rides things over and over to find problems with things so he can fix them.

With the majority of the current attractions, you ride it once and wonder why it was even built. Now, this may seem extreme but that's basically how it is compared to two decades ago.

Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Stitch Encounter, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Dinorama in Animal Kingdom, American Idol experience, Paradise Pier in DCA, A Bug's Land... for examples are attractions that shouldn't even have been given the green light in their current state.

They're no longer thinking about building things that THEY want to see. They're building things of what they THINK THE GUESTS want to see. And that's the key difference between WDI/Disney company now versus Disney Company under Walt.

Comment

You got me there. It's not historically documented that Walt was unsatisfied in his Tomorrowland at the time of Disneyland's opening. Nor is there a difference between what was placed 50 plus years ago in an infant park which in itself was in such a catergory of it's own it was considered a mistake by many in the amusement park business during the time.
                          It should also be noted it only took ONE summer for the Phantom Boats to deemed a mistake, and only three years for it to be replaced by something so grand it was considered to be the second opening of Disneyland.

Speaking of which, this same ride was re-opened itself recently. Gone was the voyage through liquid space. In its place: Finding Nemo, movie screens and all.

I don't know if I can love Disney as much as I used to without the nostalgia.
                          :blink: Bullets for Breakfast :blink:
                          Join the party. Face the music.

Comment

I'm not trying to "get" anybody. I find it annoying that I try to have an honest conversation and discussion and get flamed for trying to start a dialogue.

I am not an apologist for Disney. I have my own dislikes and plenty of concerns towards direction. And I'm not trying to repeat arguments and discussions if they've been done before - I rarely read Disney forums.

The original reason I posted in the first plaxe and what I'm trying to understand is why there is so much negative sentiment and if it's rational. Seeing as I get flamed for defending anything, I have to wonder.

I don't think everyone here hates change but I really question most. That's my personal thought, not what I read. And I don't see anyone really trying to convince otherwise. In almost every post, there is not a single compliment mentioned - surely you don't believe EVERYTHING done in the last 20 years is that bad. If so, wow.

And personally, I am thankful that this place isn't six flags. You have no idea how close some things almost became like that.

Say what you all want, but the people creating the parks do care about making great experiences and pour their entire selves into doing so. They learned from the ones who proceeded them and still to this day, the focus is on keeping the legacy alive.

Comment

Accidental overpost... please delete.
                              Last edited by Taggart; 07-02-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Let's Compare....

Ok I think we should take a look at the open attractions at MK when it opened vs. DL when it opened.

MK attraction list (ones that have been removed with no attraction replacing them will have a strike through them, and then attractions that were just overlaid will be bold and attractions that were closed and replaced with something different will be bold and strike)

1. Walt Disney World Railroad
                                2. Swiss Family Island Treehouse
                                3. Enchanted Tiki Birds
                                4. Jungle Cruise
                                5. Hall of Presidents
                                6. Liberty Square River Boats
                                7. Haunted Mansion
                                8. Mike Fink Keel Boats
                                9. Golden Horseshoe Revue
                                10. Frontierland Shootin' Gallery
                                11. Country Bear Jamboree
                                12. Cinderella's Golden Carousel
                                13. It's a Small World
                                14. Peter Pan's Flight
                                15. Mickey Mouse Revue
                                16. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
                                17. Snow White's Adventure
                                18. Skyway to Tomorrowland
                                19. Mr Toad's Wild Ride
                                20. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
                                21. Mad Tea Party
                                22. Grand Prix Race Way
                                23. Flight to the Moon
                                24. Circle Vision 360
                                25. If I had Wings

Disneyland
                                1. Disneyland Rail Road
                                2. Jungle Cruise
                                3. Conestoga Wagon
                                4. Davy Crocket Museum
                                5. Golden Horseshoe Revue
                                6. Indian Village
                                7. Mark Twain River Boat
                                8. Mike Fink Keel Boats
                                9. Mule Pack
                                10. Stage Coach Ride
                                11. Canal Boats of the World
                                12. Casey Jr. Circus Train
                                13. Dumbo Flying Elephants
                                14. King Arthur Carrousel
                                15. Mad Tea Party
                                16. Mickey Mouse Club Theate Autopia
                                21. Circarama U.S.A
                                22. Dutch Boy Paint Color Gallery
                                24. Monsanto Hall of Chemistry
                                25. Rocket to the Moon
                                26. Space Station X-1
                                27. Thimble Drome Flight Circle
                                28. Tomorrowland Boats
                                29. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
                                30. The World Beneath Us

So looking at MK there haven't really been that many additions...
                                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I find it annoying that I try to have an honest conversation and discussion and get flamed for trying to start a dialogue.
                                  You are not getting flamed, you're getting disagreed with.

I don't think everyone here hates change but I really question most. That's my personal thought, not what I read. And I don't see anyone really trying to convince otherwise. In almost every post, there is not a single compliment mentioned - surely you don't believe EVERYTHING done in the last 20 years is that bad. If so, wow.
                                  The essential fallacy in your argument is that you conflate criticism of Disney with dislike of Disney.

Your arguments proceed from the assumptions that those who criticize Disney strongly do not -- and cannot -- also love Disney; and that the only valid way to show one's love of Disney is by complimenting Disney.

And no matter how many posters point out the fallacy in those ad hominem assumptions, they continue to be the basis for your defense of Disney, and your criticism of its critics.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-02-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

In almost every post, there is not a single compliment mentioned - surely you don't believe EVERYTHING done in the last 20 years is that bad. If so, wow.

The recent additions that I enjoyed in WDW were Tower of Terror (1994), Rock'n'Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (1999), Mission Space (2003), and Expedition Everest (2006). I suppose Disney's Animal Kingdom (1998) is a positive addition but the potential that it has is still not fullfilled.

All of those attractions listed are free of Disney characters oddly enough.

And personally, I am thankful that this place isn't six flags. You have no idea how close some things almost became like that.
                                    Californians know very well how close it was in 2001.

Say what you all want, but the people creating the parks do care about making great experiences and pour their entire selves into doing so. They learned from the ones who proceeded them and still to this day, the focus is on keeping the legacy alive.
                                    A nice guy can still do a bad thing. Take John Lasseter for example. Great guy, great filmmaker, loves Disneyland. BUT... I don't know if he fully gets it. He strives for quality and story... but what he doesn't realize is that Disneyland isn't just a place you can throw cartoon properties around everywhere.

A common mistake that many fans have now is that they think "Imagineering" is taking a Disney cartoon or film and turning it into a ride. And that's what WDI has slowly become. Just watch. They're confusing the phrase "making something more Disney" - The name Disney has become a noun, a product.

When Disney's California Adventure opened in 2001 it was a failure. But somehow, Disney assumed it was because they didn't have any attractions that featured Disney characters. Nooo, it's because the park didn't have Disney quality.

Bountiful Valley Farm became A Bug's Land
                                    Avalon Cove becomes Ariel's Grotto
                                    Superstar Limo became Monsters Inc Ride
                                    Sun Wheel became Mickey's Fun Wheel
                                    Orange Stinger became Silly Symphony Swings
                                    Boardwalk Games became... Disney Boardwalk Games (this I support fully)
                                    Golden Dreams is to become Ariel's Undersea Adventure
                                    Parking lot becomes Cars Land

Over at Disneyland...
                                    Pirates of the Caribbean becomes MOVIE pirates of the caribbean
                                    Haunted Mansion becomes Haunted Mansion Holiday (nightmare before christmas)
                                    Circle Vision becomes Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
                                    Tom Sawyer Island becomes Pirate's Lair
                                    Swiss Family Treehouse becomes Tarzan's Treehouse
                                    Tahitian Terrace becomes Aladdin's Oasis
                                    Country Bear Jamboree becomes Winnie the Pooh
                                    Small World gets more characters
                                    Submarine Voyage becomes Finding Nemo Submarines

I can go on and on but I think you get the point.

Comment

I'm used to being disagreed with, and I love being proven wrong (as most people should) as the best method of learning. But the point in which I become irritated is when the dialogue becomes rude and snarky.

Never did I say that everyone here hated Disney. Obviously that is not the case or they wouldn't be an acitvely participating member on a Disney-fan board. What I did say is that I feel like Disney fans hold onto nostalgia to the point where anything new is deemed as detrimental to the "charm" and illustrious example that Walt set. It wasn't meant to be an insult or question to your loyalty to the Disney brand.

Throughout, people have cited case after case where they felt that Disney did not live up to the past. It questioned this and the rebuttal I received was "Everyone has been accusing fans of that for years. It's an old argument." Ok.. well that may be true, but I rarely read Disney boards so my knowledge of past arguments is slim to null. I'm speaking from my current experience, which, to be honest, has been somewhat mixed.

Me response to this is that in this entire conversation, not a single person has mentioned something Disney has done correct in the modern era. It doesn't mean that people here "hate" Disney now. It just means that Disney hasn't lived up to most people's expectations, which is fine and a just opinion. I don't mean to say pretentiously without doubt that everyone is in fact wrong about that, I was just trying to learn the reasons why, and include a few of my own views and opinions based on my relevant experience. It's obvious to me that people all enjoy different subtleties about the parks and each person has percieved the bar being set somewhere in their own frame of reference.

The point at which I began to post on here is when people began to discredit and attack the creative power inside the company itself. I know for a fact that that potential still exists and that the problems are inherently the growing pains of a company that is akwardly trying to adjust to it's incredibly fast expansion. I myself happen to love the wonderful facets of the Disney parks and I only hope that legacy can continue.

Comment

The point at which I began to post on here is when people began to discredit and attack the creative power inside the company itself. I know for a fact that that potential still exists and that the problems are inherently the growing pains of a company that is akwardly trying to adjust to it's incredibly fast expansion. I myself happen to love the wonderful facets of the Disney parks and I only hope that legacy can continue.
                                        Meaning no disrespect to your opinion, a number of members of this forum who have had professional experience, creative and otherwise, with the Disney Company for years know for a fact that its creative problems are not the result of "growing pains." The decline of "the creative power inside the company" has been a matter of fact for over two decades; its causes and effects have been well documented in online forums and numerous publications.

...in this entire conversation, not a single person has mentioned something Disney has done correct in the modern era.
                                        This thread was started for the specific purpose of criticism. The overwhelming majority of threads and posts during MiceChat's five years of existence have been pro-Disney or neutral/informational. Threads critical of Disney, like this one, are in the minority.

Rather than repeatedly returning to a thread that so clearly annoys you, and repeatedly harangue its participants, the more rational and polite solution would be to participate in threads that are complimentary to Disney.

Otherwise, I would respectfully suggest that joining a thread that was started for the purpose of criticism, and repeatedly criticizing the participants, the thread, and the forum in general for being too critical, is at best bad forum manners and impolite.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-03-2010, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I don't see this going anywhere good.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X