Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

@RandySavage GREAT comparison... WOW!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

^ here's another less/more detail comparison:

Yep, these detailed creations are having a lot more impact on me.
      Last edited by RandySavage; 06-26-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Walt Disney always made a point of making the guests feel like they're inside the fantasy itself, and that's what imagineers are striving for.

Other parks just want to cash in on the success and won't pay much attention to detail. I remember going to Europa Park in Germany and despite them having some of the same rides as the Disney parks, the theming was all over the place and the rides looked thrown together last minute.

Plus, Disney has CMs that will keep up the fantasy for you.

Comment

I have yet to see the WWoHP, but I have read reviews as well as talked to a few people that have been there, and the reactions I have read/heard from my friends etc. that have been there are "WOW it's super detailed, that butter-beer tasted good, but I dunno if I'll go there for another couple of years....There's really only one ride."

Now, Universal has grabbed the wow factor which is great for them, but even with that WOW factor it still needs more than the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride, and the Rethemed Dueling Dragons coaster to keep at least my friends interest, is more things to do..My friends said they basically did everything within a quarter of a day, but they did spend half a day at IOA, and they spent the other half of the day at EPCOT finishing what they couldn't the first day, so I don't know how much it really has hurt Disney if at all...but I agree that I like to hear my friends go WOW at something Disney more than something at Uni or IOA..

but I digress I hope Disney does something other than just the FLE and ST2 or Uni may expand the WWoHP and make a bit of a dent in Disney's armour
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
          -George S. Patton

Comment

I take back somethings that I said earlier. Had some interesting info come my way today. Things might be a bit brighter than they were last time I talked to people.

Comment

I went to Universal Studios Florida yesterday and I was impressed by the detail in the facades in their backlot, especially the San Fransisco area and the Hollywood area, which was complete with a mini version of the Hollywood Walk of Area. There was no star for Walt Disney, but there was a star for Disney Legend Fred Macmurray. I definitely felt that USF had a better backlot than DHS. Also, I also felt like Disaster was more relevant and interesting than DHS's Backlot Tour.

However, I felt that Universal aims too much for the teens. The Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit Roller Coaster detracts from the sightlines in the park and the backlot areas, and I don't get the point of it (it doesn't have much of a story). Also, while it was nice to choose your own music, since the music didn't sync to the ride, I felt it didn't add to the experience, as it does on the Rock n' Roller Coaster, Disneyland's Space Mountain, and California Screanin'.

Sure, Universal is capable of creating rides and attractions with great detail, as Harry Potter has proven. However, aiming so much for the teen audience with more intense roller coasters doesn't exactly attract younger families. Also, their roller coasters (with the expection of Revenge of the Mummy) are barebones in terms that their supports are shown. Sure, Disney is guilty of this with Primeval Whirl and Mulholland Madness (I wouldn't count California Screamin', its kind of suppose to look like that), but Disney definitely has more themed and more family friendly roller coasters.

Can Disney do better? Yes! Should they? Of course. However, Disney still has strengths (Disney still wins in night time entertainment, I haven't seen Universal 360 at USF yet).

Comment

Originally posted by jonyyeh View Post
                However, aiming so much for the teen audience with more intense roller coasters doesn't exactly attract younger families.
                Couldn't agree more. Perhaps that is part of Universal's gimmick, or justification at least, for not taking those extra steps that would make IOA and Universal Studios equal to MK. Universal does not take Disney-level pains to ensure that showbuildings and backstage areas are invisible. I've been backstage at WDW, and lemme tell you, there is nothing more buzz-killing than a sea of asphalt, dumpsters, and industrial-looking sheds. I think that Universal, because it aims at a much older audience, does not feel the need to really conceal everything because they do not believe that the 6-and -up crowd can suspend disbelief and be held in a fantasy that they create. We're too big for that, so why bother spending the extra time, money, and effort on the "impossible". Disney has created a fantasy that everyone can be a part of, which is not only why guests say it makes them feel like kids again, but the reason that they choose to visit again and again.
                Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

Comment

Originally posted by Krankenstein View Post
                  I take back somethings that I said earlier. Had some interesting info come my way today. Things might be a bit brighter than they were last time I talked to people.
                  Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone were to create a new user account from a public computer to protect their identity and give us a good, ol' fashioned leak to spice things up?

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                    Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone were to create a new user account from a public computer to protect their identity and give us a good, ol' fashioned leak to spice things up?
                    Nope. A new user who shows up on a fan site and starts a thread about an unconfirmed rumor is guaranteed to be taken as a troll, whether they're legit or not. And history shows that 99.9% of the time, they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by wumbology View Post
                      You mean, early, Disney-Decade, "let's-build-build-build" Eisner?
                      Yeah. I miss THAT Eisner. But without Frank Wells he wouldn't have been that Eisner. It was when Wells passed away that Eisner lost the plot. Iger, so far, seems better than post-Wells Eisner, but he seems to lack the bravado that Eiser had. I believe Bob Iger cares about what he's doing, but I believe what he cares about is the Disney brand, creating shareholder value, blah blah blah. At the end of the day he's just a business man who has attained the enviable position of leading what might, despite its problems, be the most "fun" company on the planet. Wells-era Eisner had something to prove because he took over a Walt Disney Company that had become a laughingstock. He had the charisma to begin aligning the Disney brand with hot hot hot people (at the time) in their fields like George Lucas and Michael Jackson. Robert A.M Stern. Michael Graves. A-List people were not afraid to associate with Disney then. They are again - look who they can "get" now for appearances at premieres and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
                        eh... I am skeptical of your friends comments. Everyone on here has a friend thats not just a nobody..... but Bob Iger has already stated that this rate of expansion within the WDC, including that of MK, DCA, and new ships boarders on crazy WILL tapper off and not continue. Thats my own summery of his lengthy comments on the matter and not a quote but still.... a list of major expansion projects being announced for WDW on the heals of Bob Igers very ON the Record comments about the current rate of expansion seem to contridict your friends thoughts.

I would rate WDW as curious at best. I am in the school of thought that the WWoHP going not going to hurt WDW. Rather help it, it will help IOA / Universal for sure, but it will also bring a lot of visitors to the Orlando which WDW will not be hurt by. With only 2100 Universal on site hotel rooms, WDW with its 30K + on site hotel rooms is a very good position to have people plan an orlando vacation due to the opening of WWoHP but still stay at WDW with a day trip to IOA to see it.

I hope that doesn't play out that way, but I suspect that it will. And as long as it does, you won't see any major shock and awe reaction coming from WDW. sigh. oh well.

I agree with you KIDGENIE about my friends comments. I just listened and asked "are you sure about all of this?" My opinion is that its a win-win for everyone especially DISNEY! I went to Universal/IOA and after my family and I experienced WWoHP the first thing my kids said is "that's the best ride now when do we go to Disney?" You see Disney has a charm that Universal and all other theme parks dont have... I have been going to the Disney parks for 25+ years and each time my family I go we are still excited as if it is the first time were going and it's never a dull moment. Even the dated attractions like COP still get my interest. I think in due time more changes will be made but not fast enough for us die hard Disney Fans! I am happy for Universal because they need it! Aside from WWoHP theres really nothing else. I am excited for the future of Orlando attractions especially with Legoland coming to the old Cypress Gardens, a potential Madame Tussauds, Seaworld keeps expanding and no matter what they do all roads will lead to Disney and they know it and not concerned. The one thing I do believe what my friend said is Disney is excited about the popularity of Phineas and Ferb and want to inject this into their parks. Their popularty is on par with Spongebob, and I know this because my kids cant get enough of them! So folks Universal has Harry and Disney will always have an answer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigReid92 View Post
                          I agree with you KIDGENIE about my friends comments. I just listened and asked "are you sure about all of this?" My opinion is that its a win-win for everyone especially DISNEY! I went to Universal/IOA and after my family and I experienced WWoHP the first thing my kids said is "that's the best ride now when do we go to Disney?" You see Disney has a charm that Universal and all other theme parks dont have... I have been going to the Disney parks for 25+ years and each time my family I go we are still excited as if it is the first time were going and it's never a dull moment. Even the dated attractions like COP still get my interest. I think in due time more changes will be made but not fast enough for us die hard Disney Fans! I am happy for Universal because they need it! Aside from WWoHP theres really nothing else. I am excited for the future of Orlando attractions especially with Legoland coming to the old Cypress Gardens, a potential Madame Tussauds, Seaworld keeps expanding and no matter what they do all roads will lead to Disney and they know it and not concerned. The one thing I do believe what my friend said is Disney is excited about the popularity of Phineas and Ferb and want to inject this into their parks. Their popularty is on par with Spongebob, and I know this because my kids cant get enough of them! So folks Universal has Harry and Disney will always have an answer!!!

Yes MiceChat fans, Disney CM'S are not the most reliable source of information. I remember many years ago when Test Track opened, a CM explained the ride to me and he said afterwards" after the ride on your way out you can check out the latest vehicles offered from FORD!!!! uh GENERAL MOTORS only sponsored this ride since 1982 when it was The World Of Motion....

Comment

Originally posted by giggling_gargoyles View Post
                            Universal does not take Disney-level pains to ensure that showbuildings and backstage areas are invisible.
                            Case in point: The Huge Show Building for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey itself is visible when you walk from Jurassic Park to the WWOHP. It's spoils the illusion that the attraction is entirely in the castle, as the castle adjoins the huge show building and its scale is dwarfed by the building. Also, some backstage areas are also visible from the Forbidden Journey outdoor queue, along with the show building itself, depending on your view in the queue.

Comment

Some friendly advice to those with friends: Do your best not to spout out everything you see or hear. This helps nobody. The more that gets leaked out, the more secretive they will be. This ain't a popularity contest and you aren't cooler for spilling the beans because when it's this far in advance, things DO CHANGE. Even things officially announced within the company aren't set in stone.

Whether or not you think or know that WDI is capable of out-gunning Harry Potter is irrelevant. We all know they're capable. The problem is not with them but with Corporate. Is the company willing to shell out the funding to make it happen?

There could be loads of great ideas that you see at WDI right now but most may never see the light of day.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                Whether or not you think or know that WDI is capable of out-gunning Harry Potter is irrelevant. We all know they're capable. The problem is not with them but with Corporate. Is the company willing to shell out the funding to make it happen?

There could be loads of great ideas that you see at WDI right now but most may never see the light of day.
                                I'll say it again.

WWoHP: $300 million
                                Disney Dream: $1 billion
                                Disney Fantasy: $1 billion

To say that WDC has been stingy with the funding is absurd. If you're not happy with the choice to spend $2 billion on cruise ships, that's one thing, but to say that Corporate Disney is underspending on capital investments is nuts. (Remember, Disney Cruise Line is lumped under Disney's "Parks and Resorts" operating segment.)

With the two ships nearing completion, thats going to be a whole bunch of money available for WDI to play with. Sure, Disney mentioned that they'll be reeling in capital spending, but even if they cut the spending from the cruise ships in HALF, thats still $1 billion in extra cash waiting to be spent. Considering $1 billion was the cost of Animal Kingdom in it's entirety, I think it's safe to assume that SOMETHING significant is coming down the pipeline.

Comment

I'll say it again.

To say that WDC has been stingy with the funding is absurd. If you're not happy with the choice to spend $2 billion on cruise ships, that's one thing, but to say that Corporate Disney is underspending on capital investments is nuts. (Remember, Disney Cruise Line is lumped under Disney's "Parks and Resorts" operating segment.)

With the two ships nearing completion, thats going to be a whole bunch of money available for WDI to play with. Sure, Disney mentioned that they'll be reeling in capital spending, but even if they cut the spending from the cruise ships in HALF, thats still $1 billion in extra cash waiting to be spent. Considering $1 billion was the cost of Animal Kingdom in it's entirety, I think it's safe to assume that SOMETHING significant is coming down the pipeline.
                                  The cost of each ship is probably spread out over the entire project's timeline, starting back in the design phase before the projects were publicly announced. Large expenditures such as the new ships are also not part of the yearly operating budget, they are special expenditures that are approved and funded from higher up. This is why the Disney's California Adventure makeover/expansion was pitched as a single project, because its high price tag moved the projects away from Parks and Resorts' annual budgets and into a special project that would need funding and approval from corporate. Something on the scale of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be funded and approved from directly within Parks and Resorts (unless it is forced upon them like the Fantasyland Expansion).

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                    The cost of each ship is probably spread out over the entire project's timeline, starting back in the design phase before the projects were publicly announced. Large expenditures such as the new ships are also not part of the yearly operating budget, they are special expenditures that are approved and funded from higher up. This is why the Disney's California Adventure makeover/expansion was pitched as a single project, because its high price tag moved the projects away from Parks and Resorts' annual budgets and into a special project that would need funding and approval from corporate. Something on the scale of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be funded and approved from directly within Parks and Resorts (unless it is forced upon them like the Fantasyland Expansion).
                                    I agree with you for the most part, but regardless of origin, massive projects will ultimately need approval from the top. The general opinion seems to be that WDI has all these great ideas that are simply being shot down for lack of funding. My suggestion is that the completion of some of these other major projects might make the all-elusive "green light" easier to come by.

Comment

I personally think between now and 2012 things are going to be fairly quiet. I think mid 2012 we might see some major movement, but that is a lot of time in the business world a good 7 quarters, and who knows that sort of things could cause an even bigger slow down, or a giant ramp up.
                                      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I'll say it again.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Enlighten me.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X