This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for the past month, you have probably noticed that in Orlando, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter has opened in Universal Islands of Adventure in Universal Orlando, trumping anything Disney has done in a while. The last things I can recall on this level of impressiveness are Expedition Everest and Indiana Jones (DLR). The sad thing is, Imagineers can beat this. They have proven to be the pioneers for new technology over the years, all starting with the Matterhorn, which broke ground for roller coaster technology today. But why can't the imagineers bring out a the HUrricane of immersiveness and magic that they have proven to be able to do over the years? Why must you (im a disneylander)guys be stuck with a bunch of meet and greets and a clone of something else?

I believe (as does everybody else) , that TDO is to blame. TDO is the perfect example of what Disney SHOULDN'T be. All about money. Disney was at its finest when money was not an issue. When Disney was a company known for creating magical moments and making people marvel at the technology they create, it was amazing. But now, it has proven to just be another company. Its all about the green for them, and for TDO, its all about saving the green. TDO is apparently too..hmmm how do i put this nicely? Too IGNORANTLY, REDUNDANTLY, STUPID!!!! They need to realize that when you spend enough money in something amazing, it all comes back to them. they just need to take 1 big risk, and then when they see how their investment comes back to them, they (TDO and the Corporate part of Disney that handles all the money) will probably (hopefully)be throwing money at the imagineers to come up with new, innovative, E-Tickets. And when this happens, the Imagineers can do what they do best. let their imaginations run wild. Create something the likes of which has not only never been seen before, and that thought to be impossible.

ok that last part was a little dreaming, but I can dream right?

Al reported that TDA told the imagineers to come up with 2 new E-Tickets. Whether this happens or not, it doesn't matter. TDA is also about money, but by this, you can tell its not as drastic as in TDO. they are handing over their money at Disneyland, which is awesome. But where it really needs to be is in Orlando. What does Disneynland have to compete with? Knott's? Cedar fair took care of that. Legoland? im laughing as I type. Universal? all there is to compete against is the new Transformers ride, but RSR racers will take care of that.

Disney, please realize that if you continue like this, your not gonna be the head honchos in the theme park industry. Universal has proven that they have what it takes. Imagineers, you have what it takes to beat Wizarding World. I know it. We (The Disney Fans) know it. you can do something that will be 5 steps ahead of Universal. All you need is that creative spark. TDO, stop being so cheap. DO invest in Disney World. DO something. But DON'T think that your fantasyland expansion will beat Universal. Because that, is just Wishful Thinking.

-
    and thank you for reading, my epic fail of an essay. i made this cause i jsut wanted to express my feeling. hopefully you can see why I got a C in english class. SO what do you guys think? Like it? hate it? Want to put a curse on me just for writing it?
    Last edited by Ckelef1; 06-19-2010, 09:37 AM.

• Dapper Dan
    replied
    Re: Why the Imagineers can at any time beat WWohP, but at the same time can't

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
    Here's another scary thought I'm rather surprised no one brought up. Disney now owns Marvel, and one of the IOA islands is all Marvel Super Hero's and villains. What happens when the name use age contract expires between Universal and Marvel/Disney? :ap:
    This has been discussed elsewhere. The general assumption is that Universal owns the rights to use Marvel characters at theme parks in perpetuity. Which means that the Marvel island will stick around as long as Universal wants to keep it. The only thing I really see disappearing at Islands of Adventure is the Marvel gift shop.

Leave a comment:

• Coastierox
    replied

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
    Here's another scary thought I'm rather surprised no one brought up. Disney now owns Marvel, and one of the IOA islands is all Marvel Super Hero's and villains. What happens when the name use age contract expires between Universal and Marvel/Disney? :ap:
    I bet Marvel Island goes away...

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Thrill
    replied

Originally posted by Fish_in_water View Post
    You know there is this thing called hope? maybe.. just maybe.. if anybody believed in disney anymore, they they might do something "disney standard"
    why would disney do ANYTHING if there are people who are just going to just criticize them for it, and say its crap.
    Supply and demand. They do something over the top, we give them more money. If they don't, we spend less money and continue to criticize them.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Never say never! There might be a Star Wars Land, or better, a Star Wars themepark, all in good time, like maybe 25 years from now!
    Oh you want to know a "creative" bean counter conversation on this topic... Ok so the conversation goes...

Bean1: we see viability for another gate with XYZ theme potentially in XX years.

Bean2: well in XX years will XYZ be relevant?

Bean1: well with how XYZ has currently held up it stands to reason that in XX years it will be relevant.

Bean2: Well XYZ is only relevant because of common pop culture usage. Without a venue to generate lasting appeal in XX years it might not hold any relevance.

Bean1: Then if it doesn't hold relevance in XX years then there is no reason to pursue this property.

Bean2: But if we build the venue then it will be relevant.

Bean1: But it won't make fiscal sense until XX.

Bean2: But then by XX it won't be relevant.

Bean1: Then we shouldn't build it.

If i had a nickel for how many times i have heard this...

Leave a comment:

• Incrediboy
    replied

Originally posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    I just think that the Imagineers can beat the living daylights out of WWoHP ANYTIME. But the biggest obstacle to that is MONEY which Disney doesnt want to part with. Look at DisneySEA, essentially the same people designed that park who also probably designed DCA, and HKDL and the reason why DisneySEA stands out is because they had enough money to develop their ideas into reality.

A Star Wars land would draw many more people (its STAR WARS for gods sake, the biggest movie franchise on earth including merchandise) and much longer lines than the WWoHP in my opinion BUT Disney wont do that because they're so obsessed with the fact that everyone likes princesses and meet and greets. Instead of milking their princesses, Disney can use STAR WARS but its so sad that it doesnt.
    Never say never! There might be a Star Wars Land, or better, a Star Wars themepark, all in good time, like maybe 25 years from now!

Leave a comment:

• HKDLFAN
    replied

I just think that the Imagineers can beat the living daylights out of WWoHP ANYTIME. But the biggest obstacle to that is MONEY which Disney doesnt want to part with. Look at DisneySEA, essentially the same people designed that park who also probably designed DCA, and HKDL and the reason why DisneySEA stands out is because they had enough money to develop their ideas into reality.

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    That is correct, I was there.

But I didn't wait 16 hours. I believe the wait was about 4-5 hours.

I think Star Wars was about as popular then as Harry Potter is now.

As far as the imagineers, and the fact that this is just a "Land" ...

The popularity (and awesomeness) of Potterland proves to me one thing ... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A COMPLETE PARK ... NOT JUST AN "ISLAND".
    A Star Wars land would draw many more people (its STAR WARS for gods sake, the biggest movie franchise on earth including merchandise) and much longer lines than the WWoHP in my opinion BUT Disney wont do that because they're so obsessed with the fact that everyone likes princesses and meet and greets. Instead of milking their princesses, Disney can use STAR WARS but its so sad that it doesnt.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
    Your critique of the review system is fair. But the same must be applied to hardcore disney fans.

One might say us hardcore disney fans are THE MOST critical because we have such high expectations.

You know as well as I know how easy it is to get nitro hyped up, and follow construction of a project for YEARS and then on opening day have it disappoint, because the hype could never live up to the reality.

Very recently think.... World of Color. The reviews on micechat/miceage are great examples of that.

In WDW history think Spaceship Earth refurb, think Pirates refurb, think Seas with Nemo and Friends, think Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, think Stiches Great Escape... Are characters or attractions that we are endeared to, that we are fans of, were huge disappointments when they opened to the fan community.

So to get glowing reviews from the harshest critics really is a big accomplishment.
    Then it depends on the age level of the fans, as well as their level of expectation.

Disney has 50+ years of experience in the theme parks which was their benchmark for excellence, since there is nothing to compare this too, it's a little harder to judge. While Disney has been "declining by degrees," IOA seems to be moving up in its attraction roster.

Also, are the reviews from the same age group as hardcore Disney fans who have studied the company, history, etc, or rabid fanboys who like it because Potter's name is on it? (Disney still has people who like Great Escape, Monsters Inc, etc.; Fanboiis who love it all because of the name). Something tells me any hardcore Disney fan, minus the fanboiis, won't wait 16 hours for anything...

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    But if they are passionate about the characters, then isn't the review system flawed to begin with for that day? Not saying that Potter isn't an amazing attraction because I am sure it is, but can you really rely on people who waited 16 hours to ride because of their Potter love as a reliable source of info? If we put average guests in that line and had them wait, would there be a different reaction to it?

Still, the ride would get great reviews, but I'm sure they would be "It's great, but I wouldn't wait more than an hour or two to get in."

Again, not agreeing or disagreeing, just think it's not the best group to judge. It's like asking the people who saw Twilight at midnight if it was a good movie. Seems the people staying up that late will like it no matter what, regardless of its quality

I am a Harry Potter fan, and I'm a huge Disney fan (obviously), but I still don't think I would say a ride is great after waiting 16 hours for it. Could the reviews also be cut to "It was Great!" right before the "It was GREAT! But not worth 16 hours of waiting!"

I can see waiting MAYBE 2-3 hours for something you love, but over that? No way, no matter how good.

And wasn't Indy at 5 hours when it first opened at DL? Even that to me is excessive...

Again, no bashing Potter in any way, as I'm looking forward to it! :P
    Your critique of the review system is fair. But the same must be applied to hardcore disney fans.

One might say us hardcore disney fans are THE MOST critical because we have such high expectations.

You know as well as I know how easy it is to get nitro hyped up, and follow construction of a project for YEARS and then on opening day have it disappoint, because the hype could never live up to the reality.

Very recently think.... World of Color. The reviews on micechat/miceage are great examples of that.

In WDW history think Spaceship Earth refurb, think Pirates refurb, think Seas with Nemo and Friends, think Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, think Stiches Great Escape... Are characters or attractions that we are endeared to, that we are fans of, were huge disappointments when they opened to the fan community.

So to get glowing reviews from the harshest critics really is a big accomplishment.

Leave a comment:

• Joelio
    replied

I think Imagineers have the ability, we'll have to see how Mystic Manor compares on a ride by ride basis. I agree with an earlier poster though, Star Wars needs a heavier presence then just Star Tours because its probably one of the strongest franchises.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

If that is your passion. Last time I heard of lines like this was when DLR opened Star Tours. Legend has it, that the park stayed open for 24 hours so they could get everyone through.

It comes down to the fact that people are passionate about this world and these character. SOOOO much more than what Disney has been able to offer sadly.
    But if they are passionate about the characters, then isn't the review system flawed to begin with for that day? Not saying that Potter isn't an amazing attraction because I am sure it is, but can you really rely on people who waited 16 hours to ride because of their Potter love as a reliable source of info? If we put average guests in that line and had them wait, would there be a different reaction to it?

Still, the ride would get great reviews, but I'm sure they would be "It's great, but I wouldn't wait more than an hour or two to get in."

Again, not agreeing or disagreeing, just think it's not the best group to judge. It's like asking the people who saw Twilight at midnight if it was a good movie. Seems the people staying up that late will like it no matter what, regardless of its quality

I am a Harry Potter fan, and I'm a huge Disney fan (obviously), but I still don't think I would say a ride is great after waiting 16 hours for it. Could the reviews also be cut to "It was Great!" right before the "It was GREAT! But not worth 16 hours of waiting!"

I can see waiting MAYBE 2-3 hours for something you love, but over that? No way, no matter how good.

And wasn't Indy at 5 hours when it first opened at DL? Even that to me is excessive...

Again, no bashing Potter in any way, as I'm looking forward to it! :P

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

If that is your passion. Last time I heard of lines like this was when DLR opened Star Tours. Legend has it, that the park stayed open for 24 hours so they could get everyone through.
    That is correct, I was there.

But I didn't wait 16 hours. I believe the wait was about 4-5 hours.

I think Star Wars was about as popular then as Harry Potter is now.

As far as the imagineers, and the fact that this is just a "Land" ...

The popularity (and awesomeness) of Potterland proves to me one thing ... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A COMPLETE PARK ... NOT JUST AN "ISLAND".

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

I agree, and within 1 day lines were normal, but still, to waste a whole day waiting in line for ONE thing?

It comes down to the fact that people are passionate about this world and these character. SOOOO much more than what Disney has been able to offer sadly.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

The funny thing is... even with the crazy lines and the 16 hour wait, it still got good reviews.
    I agree, and within 1 day lines were normal, but still, to waste a whole day waiting in line for ONE thing?

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

HOLY CRAP ... look at those lines!!!

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

IMO why would you want to see lines like that at WDW? I don't think that would leave me wanting to go back or would give me an optimal guest experience.

I'm looking forward to Potter, and we're planning on seeing it in October, but if I saw lines like that I would turn around and leave, no matter where it was, or how good the attraction was. That's just idiotic to wait in that kind of line.
    The funny thing is... even with the crazy lines and the 16 hour wait, it still got good reviews.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

IMO why would you want to see lines like that at WDW? I don't think that would leave me wanting to go back or would give me an optimal guest experience.

I'm looking forward to Potter, and we're planning on seeing it in October, but if I saw lines like that I would turn around and leave, no matter where it was, or how good the attraction was. That kind of line doesn't seem like it would be good for anyone. Talk about out of towners who are there for WoC and it gets cancelled, what about out of towners making a trip and planning to head to IOA for that day? Seems like their experience is ruined.

Sorry for the interruption of the thread, but I just can't comprehend that being a beneficial line for anyone. Not meant to say Potter is better or worse, just an observation.

Leave a comment:

• KevinYee
    replied

Dapper Dan is right about story, as several folks online have said for some time. It was never the focus for Marc Davis and other early Imagineers, but in the Tony era it's been the supreme focus.

Eric-formerly-known-as-OFT (EFKAOFT): amazing pictures! I'm glad I soaked in Potter a few times during soft openings!!

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

So when was the last time you saw lines like this at WDW?

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg687/sca...=640&ysize=640

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4526763_n.jpg

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media...6/54407903.jpg

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media...6/54407873.jpg

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media...6/54408201.jpg

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media...6/54408252.jpg

Hat tip to the Orlando Sentinel for the photos.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM. Reason: Hotlinked images, against site rules

Leave a comment:

Working...
X