Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Backlot Tour: What Happened?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backlot Tour: What Happened?

Originally posted by jonyyeh View Post
    They do have the Sorcerer's Workshop there now. They just don't fit in that well as it does in DCA, as it is themed towards the animation studio setting, and doesn't have the themed environment that is at DCA. Plus, there is too much space in the attraction now that the studio is gone.

EEEKKK! WHAT HAPPPED TO MY PRECIOUS BOOK?! (Oh, wait, this isn't my castle.)

Timekeeper
    sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Yeah. Based on what I've seen and heard about DCA's Animation Building, they really, REALLY need to bring that into the Animation Courtyard.
      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

When I went in 2008 Catastrophe Canyon wasn't working so as you can imagine it was a fairly short tour. Having been to Universal in Hollywood a few weeks prior, talk about massively underwhelming...

Comment

They do have the Sorcerer's Workshop there now. They just don't fit in that well as it does in DCA, as it is themed towards the animation studio setting, and doesn't have the themed environment that is at DCA. Plus, there is too much space in the attraction now that the studio is gone.

It's not "the workshop" though. It's just the interactive crap from parts of the workshop. They need the fully themed environment and lobby area. Basically, it needs a full re-do.
          -Bill

Comment

I didn't see anyone mention this, but when the Backlot Tour openend, wasn't there a Dick Tracy scene acted out in the city streets?

Also, I've had this memory of seeing a gold Johnny Five robot from the Short Circuit movies at MGM, but I've never seen it referenced anywhere and I've been questioning if it was just a dream, lol.

Anyway, I ran across this page where they discuss the walking attraction called "Backstage Pass to..." and part of this attraction was the Jim Henson Creature Shop, which I've read was where the Golden Johnny Five robot was located. I've also read that it was part of the walking tour after the water tank when you would enter the Prop House behind it and the robot was on the second floor.

So was this "Backstage Pass to..." part of the Backlot Tour or was it a separate attraction?
            Last edited by Darth Evader; 07-26-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

that doesn't look like its themed towards anything other then some sort of cheep computer console I might see at a community college o_O.

My recommendation about switching to the DCA version was BECAUSE I'd assume they have alot of extra space left now. I don't know about the other DCA exhibits but all they'd really need are the drawing class and sorcerers workshop. Combine that with a nice lobby equivalent and you'll have a decent draw for the studio again.

I have NO idea what the appeal is for what they're doing now...

I do find it funny they basically cloned one of the lesser parts of the workshop. Honestly the character quiz is not very repeatable and it has never changed. I'm kinda disappointed in Disney for the quiz in this since because facebook will could easily spam me with 20 of these things a day. Heck it could even be an email a card to yourself opportunity but whatever.
              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                I do find it funny they basically cloned one of the lesser parts of the workshop. Honestly the character quiz is not very repeatable and it has never changed. I'm kinda disappointed in Disney for the quiz in this since because facebook will could easily spam me with 20 of these things a day. Heck it could even be an email a card to yourself opportunity but whatever.
                They also have the Voice/Sing a Character activity from the Sorcerer's Workshop, but yeah, it doesn't have the same environment as it does at DCA, and has stations similar to the one pictured. As a result, it isn't as fun when you at DCA.

In terms of space, they have a lot of space to do one thing: character meet and greets, which is sad to see given that the same space where the character meets and greets are at is where animators once worked. They still ever have the windows that were part of the tour, and the story room that you could view into (which now holds the remaining animators who draw the pictures that are sold in the gift shop adjacent to the attraction).

While I believe they have enough space to create the themed environment that the sorcerer's workshop is in, they definitely could not build an lobby similar to what is now in DCA in the present building without expanding it.
                Last edited by jonyyeh; 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM. Reason: corrected last section

Comment

I remember seeing a Johnny 5 Robot in the walking tour. It was in a room with a bunch of props and things. I also have memory of sets from the Dalmatians movie.

There was also a room with sets from Home Improvement and I think they had a guest volunteer for some green screen effect. This may have been in the same room with the props.

I had to of been like 10 at the time, I'm really surprised I remember this.

Comment

Working...
                  X