Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

Orlando Sentinel Article on Broken Yeti(Merged Threads)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Sentinel Article on Broken Yeti(Merged Threads)

Disney fans dismayed with ?Disco Yeti' | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

Hopefully by bringing the situation to the forefront in a major news outlet, some action will be taken a little more rapidly. It's such a shame to not see the Yeti in all its glory. It really is a spectacle and an awesome sight to see the Yeti in full motion.

• TriSarahtops
    replied
    Re: Orlando Sentinel Article on Broken Yeti(Merged Threads)

Originally posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    I think the really sad thing is that Everest is supposedly the only reason people go to Animal Kingdom, instead of, ya know, the animals, what the park is named for in the first place. They could raze the entire mountain tomorrow, and while I'd miss the ride, it wouldn't change what I love about AK. That's a rant for a different time, though.
    AMEN! haha I Go to DAK because I LOVE the animals. EE is just a really cool ride that happens too be in a really cool zoological park....

Let me also note-- EE is one of my all-time favorite rides, in ANY park, SO as Ive said before I would love for them to fix the Yeti (though it doesn't make or break the ride experience for me) BUT if EE were to disappear, I'd STILL go to DAK.....

(And...Honestly, as a young teen My favorite park of Disney was Discovery Island...)

Leave a comment:

• Disney Romantic
    replied

I think the really sad thing is that Everest is supposedly the only reason people go to Animal Kingdom, instead of, ya know, the animals, what the park is named for in the first place. They could raze the entire mountain tomorrow, and while I'd miss the ride, it wouldn't change what I love about AK. That's a rant for a different time, though.

I do wonder if they're just not finding a decent solution to keeping the Yeti functioning safely. I wonder if they'd be better off just making a smaller animatronic, or one designed with less intense movement in mind.

Leave a comment:

• clockworkmonkey
    replied

All of this underlines how badly Animal Kingdom needs another major attractoin (or several).

Leave a comment:

• lily23
    replied

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
    Well everyone here, who is upset, can do their part, and not visit DAK, until the Yeti is finished. If people didn't visit DAK because the Yeti was broken that would be one way to create change... hit Disney's bottom line. But as I said for myself E:E does not make or break my visit to DAK... If I felt the same way about a decline at FOLK I would boycott DAK.
    Actually, I'm already doing that (not going to that park). I'm not avoiding it to make a statement, it's just that there's not enough there to get me there instead of, say, Epcot. If they fixed the Yeti, I'd be back faster than you can say "Mickey Mouse!" Yes, it was just that cool. My little one used to be so scared of the thing that she closed her eyes during that part. No need for that anymore, you can't see the thing even if you're looking for it.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Well everyone here, who is upset, can do their part, and not visit DAK, until the Yeti is finished. If people didn't visit DAK because the Yeti was broken that would be one way to create change... hit Disney's bottom line. But as I said for myself E:E does not make or break my visit to DAK... If I felt the same way about a decline at FOLK I would boycott DAK.

Leave a comment:

• Dolby
    replied

While I ultimately agree, I wish you could have heard the literal fights over closing space mountain that happened upstairs on Main Street.
    I get your point, but SO WHAT? Don't brag about the great new ride and the state of the art animatronic, if you can't keep it working to match that hype.

Leave a comment:

• Dolby
    replied
    Re: Has Yeti Become A Cross Between A Disfunctional Disco Zombie & A Giant Plush Toy?

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    But the ride needs to be closed down. It seems that working only at night hasn't helped much, and by closing instead to fix all the broken effects, guests might be disrupted, but once reopened all guests would benefit from the complete ride experience working. This is an effect that should have the entire attraction shut down if not working properly to begin with.

If they don't want to close it, what they should do is build another attraction to keep people entertained while EE is down.

Either way, EE needs to go down to fix it properly; seriously, how much longer can they be working on it at night before they realize they can't fix it without shutting the entire attraction down? Not buying it.
    I agree with everything you say and want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yes! No excuses Disney. Shut it down if that's what it takes! You ran AK for years without it, so why not now. And stop showing footage of a working Yeti in promo materials, when you know the darn thing doesn't work!

Leave a comment:

• Dolby
    replied
    Re: Has Yeti Become A Cross Between A Disfunctional Disco Zombie & A Giant Plush Toy?

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Broken Yeti, no smoke, no mountain mist...and yet guests keep coming in droves.
    The thing is, they don't keep coming because they don't care - it's because they have to ride SOMETHING while they are there. Especially for the price they paid for the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• MarkTwain
    replied

Originally posted by TriSarahtops View Post
    I think the issue is, that a lot of people agree with Mark's sentiments. EE is the THING at AK (for many) I, for one, Love AK and spend at least a full day there every trip. But I understand that shutting it down would be an issue for Disney since people may avoid the park all together.

I'd LOVE (love love love!) them to fix the Yeti! And for me, shutting it down for a bit to get that done wouldn't be an issue (though I'd be a bit disappointed that I couldnt ride)

That said, regular toursist who dont share our "Disney Passion" (the people who only visit once just to do it) may not even notice that he isn't working to his full capacity (if nobody told them) And that may be what Disney is thinking too. "Do we shut down and entire ride, that gets guests into this park, just to fix an AA that they may not notice isn't fully functional anyway?"

Its a tough situation, I don't know what the "Cure" is but I hope they fix it so others can enjoy/experience the power of the yeti!....Disco is dead.
    It's true that Everest is such a major attraction at the AK that Disney would have difficulty taking it down for refurb without disappointing thousands (millions?) of guests. But ultimately, it all comes back to them, and reveals one of the larger and more disturbing qualities of the Animal Kingdom: No other Disney theme park relies on a single attraction for its attendance as much as AK relies on Everest. Never should any park depend so badly on an attraction's availability that it can't even take it down for necessary refurb when it needs it. And given how important the Yeti and Everest is to the image of AK and WDW as a whole (How many times have we seen the Travel Channel special prominently featuring the Yeti AA?), this is a NECESSARY refurb.

When Space Mountain went down for its refurb, sure it sucked for a lot of MK guests, but at least there was a whole park full of other options for them to enjoy (including another coaster). If AK were to lose Everest for a few months... what else is there, really? A safari and a single dark ride, which has a whole showbuilding of its own broken effects. This is a fault of Disney's for adding only 1 significant attraction in the park's 12 years of history, and now they've backed themselves into this corner with few other options but to bite the bullet and take the guest complaints and attendance loss. Animal Kingdom needs some serious expansion fast, or they're going to have this problem for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• TriSarahtops
    replied

Originally posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    You go by it so quick that I don't think the casual tourist would even know what they were missing.
    Exactly--and I'm sure this is what Disney is thinking right now.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    It all comes down to the fact that they shouldn't have cheaped out in the first place and they should have made a base that could with stand their "super" AA.
    They didn't go the cheap route. This is a classic example of theoretical stress vs real world stress.

The modeling showed X and in day to day operation Y happened. Party A then sued Party B.

The complexity of this issue is really being underestimated, and being the fact that there is a "suitable" work around is something I am sure we are all grateful for.

Leave a comment:

• Kuzcochik
    replied

Oh Disco Yeti... you're the only Yeti I've seen and therefore I have no first hand knowledge of your illustrious predecessor. I will admit though, that AA is so big and menacing that it is still a little scary even in disco mode. You go by it so quick that I don't think the casual tourist would even know what they were missing.
    Howeverm I'm totally on board with Team "fix-the-goldarn-thing-already". I understand that WDW is a more tourist based park, but like has been said already, everyone would benefit from the change. The casual tourist is just as likely to get over losing one ride when there's tons of other stuff to do. If they just came to WDW for Everest well then, they'll have a crappy trip, but again, there are so many other attractions at WDW that it's hard to say your vacation was ruined by just one ride being down.

It all comes down to the fact that they shouldn't have cheaped out in the first place and they should have made a base that could with stand their "super" AA. Hindsight is 20/20, I know. Now they need to own up to their mistake and fix the darn thing rather than pretending nothing is wrong. (Also WDI needs to shut down Indy and give it a good refurb but that's unrelated and I just wanted to complain... this is Micechat afterall :P)

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

LOL They should close it again and fix it. My Lord, i never thought I'd die more on a ride than that one - even Indiana Jones which made me cry )

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

While I ultimately agree, I wish you could have heard the literal fights over closing space mountain that happened upstairs on Main Street.
    I wish Disney heard the fights caused by how crappy the refurb was. If you're going to close for months, at least make it right.

Doesn't matter how long it's closed or what the attendance draw is, what matters is it's the MAIN component of the attraction and the MAIN feature they were advertising when it opened. The fact the MAIN part of the attraction they were most excited about is broken and has been for YEARS is pretty upsetting.

Fighting upstairs in the buildings on Main Street is a moot point, because most of those people who work there don't understand where they work or what they should be providing anymore anyway.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    And Toy Story Mania is THE thing in the Studios... and they are closing it down for a few months. It happens all the time.. just close it!!!

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

And Toy Story Mania is THE thing in the Studios... and they are closing it down for a few months. It happens all the time.. just close it!!!

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by TriSarahtops View Post
    I think the issue is, that a lot of people agree with Mark's sentiments. EE is the THING at AK (for many) I, for one, Love AK and spend at least a full day there every trip. But I understand that shutting it down would be an issue for Disney since people may avoid the park all together.

I'd LOVE (love love love!) them to fix the Yeti! And for me, shutting it down for a bit to get that done wouldn't be an issue (though I'd be a bit disappointed that I couldnt ride)

That said, regular toursist who dont share our "Disney Passion" (the people who only visit once just to do it) may not even notice that he isn't working to his full capacity (if nobody told them) And that may be what Disney is thinking too. "Do we shut down and entire ride, that gets guests into this park, just to fix an AA that they may not notice isn't fully functional anyway?"

Its a tough situation, I don't know what the "Cure" is but I hope they fix it so others can enjoy/experience the power of the yeti!....Disco is dead.
    You hit the nail on the head. I was disappointed with the article, and it's complete lack of understanding why Disney has made the business choices that it has made.

But when you say just close E:E think about what would happen if you would have closed TT at DHS pre RnR.

While I personally don't feel that E:E makes or breaks DAK, attendance, and guest surveys show that a lot of people go to DAK primarily to experience E:E

Leave a comment:

• TriSarahtops
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mark
    replied

My next WDW visit will include a walk to E:E for a ride, maybe Dinosaur, a walk around the Tree of Life and leaving. Back to EPCOT. What is there is pretty but without much substance these days. No change since my last trip...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X