Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orlando Sentinel Article on Broken Yeti(Merged Threads)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Orlando Sentinel Article on Broken Yeti(Merged Threads)

Disney fans dismayed with ?Disco Yeti' | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

Hopefully by bringing the situation to the forefront in a major news outlet, some action will be taken a little more rapidly. It's such a shame to not see the Yeti in all its glory. It really is a spectacle and an awesome sight to see the Yeti in full motion.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

re: Orlando Sentinel Article on Broken Yeti(Merged Threads)

Good. Glad to see the issue is not being forgotten.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

My father is a yeti. Maybe we can get him a job working as the real moving yeti down there. It may be cheaper than fixing it.

Disco yeti is what they called my dad in the 1970's .

It is a shame that it is broken and they should do everything they can to get it moving somewhat close to the original.
      Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

Get that thing fixed already Disney!!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Haha I love that they quote Martin Smith like he's just the casual tourist/disney fan from England like to show even disney's international guests are taking notice!

Comment

Rather nice article because it remains relatively even and non-sensationalistic. Although after reading "Disco Yeti," I suddenly want to see a version of Everest where the Yeti does Travolta's Saturday Night Fever dance.
            "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

it Seems that any mechanical thing that breaks and isn't required for the operation of the attraction Disney never fixes. Like the yeti, the Jeep on Kilimanjaro Safari, and all the original effects in Indy. I rmeber when they talked about the ride they said that the Yeti is the biggest ever animatronic or something. That fact only has significance when the thing actually moves.

Comment

Maybe if they have to work on it they'll put up a 2D cutout version for the strobe effect like the 2D cutout snake indy got. that was an awesome filler =D

Comment

I wonder if they could just change the programming to be less animated so the stress is reduced.

Loving Disney Since 2006!
                  Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                    I wonder if they could just change the programming to be less animated so the stress is reduced.
                    I believe that's what they're already doing. Or, what they're trying to do...
                    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Originally posted by almandot View Post
                      Haha I love that they quote Martin Smith like he's just the casual tourist/disney fan from England like to show even disney's international guests are taking notice!

LOL. Out of anyone they could have chosen...
                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I do so hope that they can fix it without a long down-time.

Peace,
                        Roo
                        husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

I youtube'd the ride so I could see the full-motion Yeti and the "disco yeti". Gotta say, in full motion, he's pretty scary and it really adds to the ride. And disco yeti does him no favors.
                          Hope they can fix it sometime soon.
                          Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

I'm glad the Sentinel has brought this issue to the presses; hopefully TDO will hear it about it and take some action.

I hope they're reading some of the comments in that article as well...

Comment

Originally posted by SLUSHIE View Post
                              it Seems that any mechanical thing that breaks and isn't required for the operation of the attraction Disney never fixes. Like the yeti, the Jeep on Kilimanjaro Safari, and all the original effects in Indy. I rmeber when they talked about the ride they said that the Yeti is the biggest ever animatronic or something. That fact only has significance when the thing actually moves.

My single biggest beef with Disney is this, their failure to fix things. The effect in Splash mt where the shadows run over the hill isn't working now. How long before they fix that? Never? So frustrating.

I really think that if Walt were with us today, he would tour his own parks and insist that everything be working properly

Comment

Heh. "Disco Yeti".

Comment

Originally posted by SLUSHIE View Post
                                  I rmeber when they talked about the ride they said that the Yeti is the biggest ever animatronic or something. That fact only has significance when the thing actually moves.
                                  Good point. Without motion it technically doesn't meet the definition of "audio animatronic." I believe the correct term would be "statue," or in this case possibly "monument."
                                  I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                                  -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

We can only hope this article brings some attention but Im not going to hold my breath. Disney has their list of priorities.
                                    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Has Yeti Become A Cross Between A Disfunctional Disco Zombie & A Giant Plush Toy?

Disney fans dismayed with ?Disco Yeti' | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

Reportedly, the Yeti hasn't worked since March of 2009. "It" (don't know it's gender) just stands their stiff as a board, with bright strobe lights dangling about, which were intended to create the illusion that it moved more before the thing put on it's boogie shoes one last time...and broke.

Expedition: Everest (along with Animal Kingdom as a whole) has increased in popularity since the day it became one of the living dead. Although, there are at least two "Save The Yeti" groups that are collectively collecting hundreds of signatures, Disney has no motivation to bring back to life their 25-foot-tall,,20,000-pound undead plushie that longs to make a horror version of the classic Saturday Night Fever. And why not!?..it's already practicing dancing to the song "Not Stayin' Alive".
                                      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Re: Has Yeti Become A Cross Between A Disfunctional Disco Zombie & A Giant Plush Toy?

i remember watching how animotronics were made and saw the yeti I was like WOW but now its broken disney dont care no more...
                                        i think disney havent got the equipment because it might be a old one?
                                        Here come's the bride.
                                        As long as we live.
                                        Till death do us part.
                                        You may kiss the bride.

Comment

Working...
                                        X