• Show
Clear All
  • Yackerz
    Disney aficionado
    • Sep 2008

Price Increases Announced [from 2009]

Disney World raises ticket prices
    August 01, 2009|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel Staff Writer

Even as it tries to lure recession-saddled consumers with deep discounts on hotel rooms and food, Walt Disney World is raising the price of its theme-park admissions to new heights.

Beginning Sunday, Disney will increase the base price of a one-day, one-park ticket to $79 -- up $4, or 5.3 percent. The price of a similar ticket for a child between the ages of 3 and 9 will climb $5, or 7.9 percent, to $68.

Prices for the resort's more popular multiday-ticket packages will also rise, climbing between 2.6 percent and 4.7 percent. In keeping with Disney's strategy of driving guests toward extra days in its parks -- rather than those operated by rivals Universal Orlando or SeaWorld Orlando -- the smallest increases are reserved for tickets good for four or more days.

What's more, Disney will raise the price of adding a "park hopper" feature to any ticket -- which allows a customer to visit multiple Disney parks in one day -- to $52, up from $50. The price of adding a "Water Park Fun & More" feature, which allows admission to secondary venues such as water parks and DisneyQuest, will also rise to $52 from $50.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said tickets represent good value for consumers, even after the increases. Disney last raised its admission prices in August 2008.

"We survey our guests regularly and, in our research, nearly nine out of 10 guests rate the value of our theme parks as good, very good or excellent," Prunty said. "Our pricing is based on the high-quality experience we deliver to our guests, and our guests continue to agree that a ticket to Walt Disney World represents a great entertainment value."

Still, Disney's latest price boost is not as aggressive as other increases in recent years, in a likely reflection of the challenging economic environment.

For example, the price of a five-day park-hopper -- which analysts say is among Disney's most frequently purchased ticket options -- will rise 2.9 percent to $280. That's the smallest percentage increase in at least four years, according to data compiled by the stock-research firm Pali Capital; Disney raised the price of the same ticket by 4.6 percent last year.

Disney's price increase could be a precursor to similar announcements by Universal and SeaWorld, because the three theme-park resorts have historically raised prices in concert. A spokesman for Universal said the resort had nothing to announce Friday, while a spokesman for SeaWorld said it had no plans to raise ticket prices "at this time."
    Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.
  • KingEric
    is in Antarctica
    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Oct 2007

re: Price Increases Announced [from 2009]

oh 2009 you have come back to haunt us! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• almandot
      Shubisha
      • Apr 2005

It's crud, it's overpriced, but people will still pay it and come out in droves to visit even though nothing's warranted the price increase and they'll keep telling the surveyors it's the most magical experience ever at WDW and the value is great.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
        How do you do?
        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by almandot View Post
        It's crud, it's overpriced, but people will still pay it and come out in droves to visit even though nothing's warranted the price increase and they'll keep telling the surveyors it's the most magical experience ever at WDW and the value is great.
        Which is why the people on the forums, the die hards who know the truth, should be the ones answering the surveys in the parks, not the regular tourists.
        It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• CMHusband
          Nerd
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by almandot View Post
          Nothing warrants a price increase except the usual, higher taxes- increased insurance costs - cost of power, permits & cost building, maintenance, etc. Its business and politics as usual that we are all paying for. I don't want to pay any more but unfortunately everything gets passed down to the little people.

Prices will be going up at Disneyland too. Probably next Sunday.
          Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
          Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

• Skip
            New MiceChatter
            • Feb 2007

Guys, the article is dated 2009. It's from last year. Ticket prices have not gone up.

Comment

• NeverNeverland
              Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Wow, I can't believe a child ticket is $11 less than an adult! That's crazy.

Oh... good catch skip, I didn't even notice :cblush: I amended the title.
              But my reply still stands. It's insanity.
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• Rex Dopey24
                Goofy
                • Jul 2006

Re: Price Increases Announced [from 2009]

this makes me laugh lol.

Comment

• Yackerz
                  Disney aficionado
                  • Sep 2008

oops... haha I am living in the wrong year. Well! maybe they still will go up this year.. maybe :-P!
                  Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                    How do you do?
                    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Skip View Post
                    Guys, the article is dated 2009. It's from last year. Ticket prices have not gone up.
                    I've been reading so much about the warning that the prices go up the first Sunday in August, I just assumed this was finally the confirmation. Thanks for the catch!
                    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• Yackerz
                      Disney aficionado
                      • Sep 2008

Yes, I was thinking that too. I saw 2010 and I figured that referred to the date of the article not the year the prices were going up.

Comment

• Jerren
                        Disneyholic
                        • Aug 2006

We probably will not know what the changes are until Disney releases the 2011 package rates, which should be in a few weeks or so. Officialy they are saying they will be available mid September but traditionally it's usually late August.

Historically the month that has seen the most price increases has actually been June.... With 9, followed by February with 7. Any way you look at it the price keeps going up, we're a long way from when the parks opened with the one day ticket price of only $3.50/day!
                        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

• Jerren
                          Disneyholic
                          • Aug 2006

Spoke too soon! They bumped the price of a one day base by $3 to $82, Park Hoppers option jumped $2 as well. Prices go into effect August 5th.

source: Magic Your Way: Facts on Walt Disney World Prices Disney Parks Blog
                          Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X