Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

    I was at Islands of Adventure tonight during the rain and lightning, and due to the lightning, all of their roller coasters (which aren't enclosed and don't have much theming compared to Disney) were closed to the lightning, along with the Seuss Train ride.

    This had me wondering, which attractions at the Walt Disney World theme parks close during lightning? I know that Fantasmic isn't performed during lightning weather. I would speculate that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest would be closed during lightning, but I wonder if they would actually need to be closed, as both have themed elements that are taller than the coaster itself, especially Everest.
    Last edited by jonyyeh; 08-02-2010, 04:06 PM. Reason: misspelled lightning

  • #2
    re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

    All attractions outside, except a few, close till lightening is a safe distance away.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

    Comment


    • #3
      re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

      No attractions close due to lighting. I'm sure some attractions close due to lightning.

      I know Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has a TON of lightning rods all over the structures.
      -Hale (wumbology)

      a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

      (I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])


      Comment


      • #4
        re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

        Yeah pretty much anything outside will be closed.

        Comment


        • #5
          re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

          Originally posted by wumbology View Post
          No attractions close due to lighting. I'm sure some attractions close due to lightning.

          I know Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has a TON of lightning rods all over the structures.
          Thanks! I only say except a few because I do know that the teacups probably do operate.
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

          Comment


          • #6
            re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

            I have actually heard that the teacups close in the rain, because you get "so dizzy" that they don't want you to slip exiting your teacup.

            Comment


            • #7
              re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

              Kali River Rapids definitely does.

              Comment


              • #8
                re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                If lightning is seen within 3 miles of the park I believe, whether it be MK, EC, AK, or HS, ALL attractions go down, regardless if they are indoors or out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                  Originally posted by j2249 View Post
                  If lightning is seen within 3 miles of the park I believe, whether it be MK, EC, AK, or HS, ALL attractions go down, regardless if they are indoors or out.
                  Only 3 Miles? I thought it was more like 40mi? Also isn't everyone escorted out of the parks?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                    Originally posted by joe80x86 View Post
                    Only 3 Miles? I thought it was more like 40mi? Also isn't everyone escorted out of the parks?
                    No one is escorted out of the parks, including the water parks. And it is only about 3-4 miles, but they follow it closely.

                    From what I remember:

                    Expedition Everest
                    Kali River Rapids
                    Test Track
                    Splash Mountain
                    Big Thunder Mountain
                    Astro Orbiter
                    Tower of Terror

                    From other sources: Dumbo, Magic Carpets, the Treehouse, Tomorrowland Speedway, the Jungle Cruise, and the Riverboat also close during lightning. I don't remember all of these closing, especially Jungle Cruise and the Riverboat, so I'm not 100% sure...
                    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









                    Comment


                    • #11
                      re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                      I was a cast member in January, now I'm seasonal and in training, they said all attractions are closed with lightning. Which is kinda hard because imagine all of the guests in the parks being just staying in all indoor areas of the park like restaurants or the stores. It gets really packed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                        Originally posted by j2249 View Post
                        I was a cast member in January, now I'm seasonal and in training, they said all attractions are closed with lightning. Which is kinda hard because imagine all of the guests in the parks being just staying in all indoor areas of the park like restaurants or the stores. It gets really packed.
                        Are you sure they didn't mean all outdoor attractions? Because I have ridden plenty of indoor attractions during lightning storms in WDW...
                        It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









                        Comment


                        • #13
                          re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                          Yah it's all of them, even indoor ones :/
                          Which is kind of a bummer because in the summer Florida gets thunderstorms like clockwork everyday. 3PM that's when i rolls in. An hour later, it clears up then the attractions re-open.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                            Everything indoors remains open. As far as I know, covered outdoor attractions (Mad Tea Party) remain open, uncovered (Dumbo) close. Fireworks, and depending on severity of the storm, parades, go on as usual; although these aren't often impacted as the storm nearly always ends before the evening.
                            someday, when we are wiser,
                            when the world's older,
                            when we have learned


                            http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

                            "It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                            - Walt Disney

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                              Originally posted by wumbology View Post
                              I know Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has a TON of lightning rods all over the structures.
                              I guess I wouldn't be surprised now about the rods. I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour today and learned that there are lightning rods on the buildings. Now of course I notice them.

                              I also hear from another guest on the tour that Tinker Bell doesn't perform in the fireworks show when lightning is out.
                              Last edited by jonyyeh; 08-07-2010, 10:06 PM. Reason: misspelled lightning

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                                @yoyoflamingo

                                You obviously missed the sarcastic nature of my comment. I have never seen them close down the indoor attractions because of a thunder storm, even when it was monsooning outside.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                                  Originally posted by DisneyDude12 View Post
                                  I have actually heard that the teacups close in the rain, because you get "so dizzy" that they don't want you to slip exiting your teacup.

                                  Teacups only close due to weather if the exit gates are blocked by guests, and the CM's working there cannot move the guests because Teacups is a rain shelter.

                                  All outdoor attractions close due to weather.

                                  On a semi-related note, a CM at Rockin' Roller Coaster was moving a chain in the line and lightening hit different chain in the line and she had some problems with that. She ended up being fine and never left rotation. Sooooo even though there are lightening rods everywhere that really doesn't mean much.
                                  I have worked:
                                  T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                                  Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                                  Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

                                  Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                                    Originally posted by j2249 View Post
                                    If lightning is seen within 3 miles of the park I believe, whether it be MK, EC, AK, or HS, ALL attractions go down, regardless if they are indoors or out.
                                    If lightning is within the vision of the ride manager then the outdoor ride will not run until 10 minutes pass without a visible lightning strike. This came from the manager in charge of EE in 2006 during a storm with lightning. The young cm standing at the entrance read a statement saying we could go through the queue and wait for the ride to open. When we tried to enter, he wouldn't let us. I put up a stink and here came the manager. The cm was invited into his office...

                                    Originally posted by j2249 View Post
                                    Yah it's all of them, even indoor ones :/
                                    Which is kind of a bummer because in the summer Florida gets thunderstorms like clockwork everyday. 3PM that's when i rolls in. An hour later, it clears up then the attractions re-open.
                                    No, it is only outdoor rides that are not covered. Are you really a cm? You should know this stuff.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                                      Hehehe... I don't know about outside, but you're not safe even indoors. We were in Star Tours, right about to enter the simulator, when lightning apparently hit the then closed for refurb Space Mountian. The power went out, and when it came back on, ST's ride system went crazy. The doors kept opening and shutting, and the ride kept resetting itself. I would have hated to be actually on the ride.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        re: Which WDW Attractions Close During Lightning?

                                        Originally posted by Daisy'sno1fan View Post
                                        If lightning is within the vision of the ride manager then the outdoor ride will not run until 10 minutes pass without a visible lightning strike. This came from the manager in charge of EE in 2006 during a storm with lightning. The young cm standing at the entrance read a statement saying we could go through the queue and wait for the ride to open. When we tried to enter, he wouldn't let us. I put up a stink and here came the manager. The cm was invited into his office...


                                        No, it is only outdoor rides that are not covered. Are you really a cm? You should know this stuff.
                                        In RAIN, outdoor attractions go down.
                                        In LIGHTNING, ALL attractions go down regardless if they are indoor or outdoor. And yes, I am a CM. I worked at Pirates, where we closed due to lightning.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X