Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

Why Small World Is No Small Problem

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Small World Is No Small Problem

Originally posted by ti2gr View Post
    OK, so the park was only open til 3am one night, you did forget the 2am Sunday closing and the 2 8am openeings, plus the fact that the overnight crew is probably about half (or less) than what it used to be back when Disney cared about these things. I remember reading and seeing a special on how active the park is overnight. They used to pressure wash Main Street everyday, now they do it what maybe once a month - if that many times.
    I'm def on you're side with this whole argument or whatever it is, but there is plenty that goes on when the park is closed. We all have our "sources" or whatever that always seem to spread different information but when the Magic Kingdom closes to guests it really it the beginning of the day for many many many workers at the Magic Kingdom. I also think you are a little off about the power washing being once a month now, but who cares. Obviously theres much less that can be done with Extra Magic Hours, but there is still TONS of pixie dust flying once the gates close.
    Originally posted by lily23 View Post
    Not to get too off topic here, but to the two posters who spoke of getting rid of fastpass: Um, why? Just curious...
    Short version... FP slows everything down, but makes Disney $$$ so it may never be gone, maybe changed, but never gone.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Personally I have not been happy with IASW since it came back from it's last major referb. I find it rather tacky, traveling in an uncomfortable boat through large box shaped rooms with missing and water damaged ceiling tiles, dirt, grime, and missing and damaged animatronics. Also some of those missing dancers have been missing for months and I doubt they will be there after this referb!

As far as the lower maintenance staff if they don't have enough people to do upkeep then they need to hire more! If the magic hours are a problem then they can cut back on them no one is holding a gun to their heads. These are nothing but excuses so they can spend less money on maintenance while still charging more at the gate.

Comment

When I was a Small World cast member around the turn of the century, our daily tasks for opening the attraction included a ride through where would make sure that everything looked and functioned properly. If we found something wrong, it would be reported to maintenance.

Several things may have happened since then:
        The ride through check could have been removed from the opening task list.
        There is a communication breakdown between the attraction hosts and maintenance.
        Maintenance doesn't care about making repairs (which I think is highly unlikely).
        Management is not giving maintenance the proper budgets to complete all the items on their checklists, or some other means of prioritizing certain repairs over others (which I find much more likely)

As pointed out by the common sense crowd, routine maintenance is cheaper and faster in the long run than waiting for things to break. Now all we need is a corporate savvy junior executive type to throw together a boffo powerpoint presentation mathematically proving that it is cheaper and something may get done.
        It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          These pictures above are the reason rides have seasonal rehab. WDW doesn't have an off season where it can take care of all these little problems.
          Not that I want to sensationalize this pictorial or defend it (I know IASW here in FL very well...some of those photos I agree with, some of those are nitpicking) but I have to highlight this sentence and say: this is Disney's own fault. If they weren't so damn concerned with discounts, and Pirate & Princess parties and free dining and all the other "tricks" they use to lure people in, they could have off-season to get some decent work done without worrying about "ruining those once-in-a-lifetime" vacations they are subsidizing.

The rides need it. Look at Everest: never had a refurb. Runs like **** and effects are broken. Look at RNRC: its had at least 3 weeks, if not more, off per year for the last 4-5 years. It looks great and runs great.

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
          I think your making excused for the MK. This week Friday is the only night its is open until 3am but you don't have to wait until the park is clear of all guest to start this work, just clear the attraction itself. So from 3:15am to opening Saturday morning at 9am. Thats almost six hours....
          Hahaha. Do you realize what little work you can done with unionized night crew in 6 hours? Once you take into account thier 2 hour nap and 1 hour lunch, plus the need to "deconstruct" for an hour, and the fact that the ride is to be turned over to Ops between 7 and 8am and maintenance at least an hour before that...
          ...you're looking at minus 1-2 hours.

Lol but seriously, at a 3am closing, figuring the ride is clear and closed by ops at 3:30am, depending on the ride Ops gets it back between 7 & 8 am, so you're looking at 4 hours not taking into account maintenance time. So depending on the work...certain things cannot be touched during that short time span (especially paint etc).

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
            Not that I want to sensationalize this pictorial or defend it (I know IASW here in FL very well...some of those photos I agree with, some of those are nitpicking) but I have to highlight this sentence and say: this is Disney's own fault. If they weren't so damn concerned with discounts, and Pirate & Princess parties and free dining and all the other "tricks" they use to lure people in, they could have off-season to get some decent work done without worrying about "ruining those once-in-a-lifetime" vacations they are subsidizing.

The rides need it. Look at Everest: never had a refurb. Runs like **** and effects are broken. Look at RNRC: its had at least 3 weeks, if not more, off per year for the last 4-5 years. It looks great and runs great.

Hahaha. Do you realize what little work you can done with unionized night crew in 6 hours? Once you take into account thier 2 hour nap and 1 hour lunch, plus the need to "deconstruct" for an hour, and the fact that the ride is to be turned over to Ops between 7 and 8am and maintenance at least an hour before that...
            ...you're looking at minus 1-2 hours.

Lol but seriously, at a 3am closing, figuring the ride is clear and closed by ops at 3:30am, depending on the ride Ops gets it back between 7 & 8 am, so you're looking at 4 hours not taking into account maintenance time. So depending on the work...certain things cannot be touched during that short time span (especially paint etc).
            Seriously do not speak of things you do not know about. The issue has absolutely nothing to do with Unionized overnight work crews taking two hour naps and deconstruct times. Ridiculous even to suggest it. You know nothing about what your talking about and are making grossly inaccurate assumtions base on union stereotypes.

Wow, I never thought I would defend the union, but the arguement is just so misplaced. Its odd though, we clearly agree IASW has a huge need for better Maintenance, we just clearly disagree. I firmly believe the issue isn't "unions" or "extended operating hours". The issue is Disney cut maintenance buget and all but eliminately over night crews that did so much of the rountine maintenance. They need to bring that back.
            Last edited by Kidgenie; 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

^ Easy there, someone needs to chill out a little bit.

You are so critical of others, yet where is you're proof to back up you're claims?

Comment

First and foremost let me say yes I see a decline, especially over the past 10-15 years or so by degrees all over the place, but I have to side with TP on this one, some of the items your dead on, others are a bit nitpicking.

Lets all try to remember that while we may notice the changes most guests would not, and in fact WDW and the Magic Kingdom is still a very magical place, and has enough to keep my interest in going back year after year.

I humbly suggest that if you have specific complaints and photos like at the beginning of this thread focus our complaints in writing management team if you really want to get someone's attention. Every letter I have written to Disney over the years has been responded to, some have resulted in action some have just been the usual "thank you for the concern...." but at least you know they are reading them! :ap:

Bottom line Disney does listen to and take guests complaints and feedback seriously, they may be slower to act on some of them than we would like but the major items do get addressed, especially when it results directly to a negative guest experience, however, often the only way management hears about them is when we take the time to let them know in writing via the good old US postal service.
                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                  First and foremost let me say yes I see a decline, especially over the past 10-15 years or so by degrees all over the place, but I have to side with TP on this one, some of the items your dead on, others are a bit nitpicking.

Lets all try to remember that while we may notice the changes most guests would not, and in fact WDW and the Magic Kingdom is still a very magical place, and has enough to keep my interest in going back year after year.

I humbly suggest that if you have specific complaints and photos like at the beginning of this thread focus our complaints in writing management team if you really want to get someone's attention. Every letter I have written to Disney over the years has been responded to, some have resulted in action some have just been the usual "thank you for the concern...." but at least you know they are reading them! :ap:

Bottom line Disney does listen to and take guests complaints and feedback seriously, they may be slower to act on some of them than we would like but the major items do get addressed, especially when it results directly to a negative guest experience, however, often the only way management hears about them is when we take the time to let them know in writing via the good old US postal service.
                  Perfection.

Comment

^ Easy there, someone needs to chill out a little bit.

You are so critical of others, yet where is you're proof to back up you're claims?

sigh. Ok. calming now.

Comment

No worries lets just get this ride up to the standards that we expect from Disney.

Comment

Comment

List are good but if you just hand over a laundry list to a CM at the end of the stay your not going to get the desired effect, they may view it as just Disney bashing and bury it or perhaps they do not know what to do with it.

A written letter (or ten :ap: ) on the other hand has a lot more weight to it, the policy is if any guest takes the time to write out a letter then they must be responded to. (same dosn't apply to email, lists passed at the front desks, etc.) So take a look at your lists when you get home and pick the top issues and write about them. Then repeat as necessary each trip.

One thing I forgot to mention is there is another way, positive reinforcement! When a cast member does something over the top (relatively speaking these days) ask gust services or the front desk for a Fanatical comment card, they will know what your asking for. These are (or at least used to be) a big deal and usually result in the CM getting recognized at staff meetings, and go on their record and are taken into account when reviewing CM's for promotion (or which CM's not to let go...) and hopefully encourages all of them to try harder. I generally pick up a few at check in and keep them in my bag with a pen just in case. I look at it as good Karma you do someting nice for them hopfuly they pass it on to others. :ap:
                          Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                            List are good but if you just hand over a laundry list to a CM at the end of the stay your not going to get the desired effect, they may view it as just Disney bashing and bury it or perhaps they do not know what to do with it.

A written letter (or ten :ap: ) on the other hand has a lot more weight to it, the policy is if any guest takes the time to write out a letter then they must be responded to. (same dosn't apply to email, lists passed at the front desks, etc.) So take a look at your lists when you get home and pick the top issues and write about them. Then repeat as necessary each trip.

One thing I forgot to mention is there is another way, positive reinforcement! When a cast member does something over the top (relatively speaking these days) ask gust services or the front desk for a Fanatical comment card, they will know what your asking for. These are (or at least used to be) a big deal and usually result in the CM getting recognized at staff meetings, and go on their record and are taken into account when reviewing CM's for promotion (or which CM's not to let go...) and hopefully encourages all of them to try harder. I generally pick up a few at check in and keep them in my bag with a pen just in case. I look at it as good Karma you do someting nice for them hopfuly they pass it on to others. :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
                              Seriously do not speak of things you do not know about. The issue has absolutely nothing to do with Unionized overnight work crews taking two hour naps and deconstruct times. Ridiculous even to suggest it. You know nothing about what your talking about and are making grossly inaccurate assumtions base on union stereotypes.

Wow, I never thought I would defend the union, but the arguement is just so misplaced. Its odd though, we clearly agree IASW has a huge need for better Maintenance, we just clearly disagree. I firmly believe the issue isn't "unions" or "extended operating hours". The issue is Disney cut maintenance buget and all but eliminately over night crews that did so much of the rountine maintenance. They need to bring that back.
                              Really? Read my second paragraph.

Oh by the way...how long did I work for Disney?

Comment

^ Well the facts are against me. I didn't mean to call anyone out with my comments, so I apologize. I think I am just to in love with my precious WDW to think anything negative about it.
                                What an interesting comment.. and how do you think I feel? WDW was the first Disney park I ever visitied, the one resort that made me the avid Disney fan I am today, the one I am proud to call my "hometown" park, the one I spent 5 years as a CM, the one place that holds many memories for me as I was growing up, and the one park that I care for deeply due to it's history in my personal life. But I am not blind and this is why criticism comes so easily. I only feel sad for you all who only have WDW, and don't know any better. I too am in love with WDW or else, I would not spend money on APs year after year.. but I am not blind. Having been a former CM, I happen to know from the inside what WDW has lost over the years: that extra special quality. I think it's sad I live a mere 15 minutes from WDW, but still.. have to fly to Tokyo to enjoy a Disney experience that is hardly ever flawed and that "quality of show"-wise, it kicks WDW's broad arse to smitterings. And their ticket prices in Japan are cheaper than the ticket price we pay at WDW, and I get much more entertainment in the two Tokyo parks over what I get at WDW's 4 parks at higher admission fees.
                                I feel so so so so bad for you all WDW apologists.

BTW... rainy day here in Hong Kong but will stop by HKDL later today for a few hours of good quality Disney fun at this lovely little park (that has more charm than the MK will ever be able to achieve).
                                Last edited by TDLFAN; 08-10-2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic if (anyone) thought that, it was a sincere comment. Sure I've seen some things at WDW that I just choose to ignore because I WDW is my favorite place in the world. I'm not completely blind, just last month I was in Animal Kingdom and rode Everest with my family. After we all rode i said its too bad the Yeti isn't working, and my parents were like "what yeti?" They did not even notice Disney's largest AA in history because it's not functioning properly.

In no way was my comment meant to say that others don't care as much about WDW as I or anything like that. I just choose to enjoy what I can because really that's the only power I posses. I can think about what it used to be like in the 70s, 80's or 90's but that's not going to change how things are. That may be where the problem is but that is how it is.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic if (anyone) thought that, it was a sincere comment. Sure I've seen some things at WDW that I just choose to ignore because I WDW is my favorite place in the world. I'm not completely blind, just last month I was in Animal Kingdom and rode Everest with my family. After we all rode i said its too bad the Yeti isn't working, and my parents were like "what yeti?" They did not even notice Disney's largest AA in history because it's not functioning properly.
                                    I did not take your comment as sarcastic, but rather as a way to put down others who feel strongly about this issue, which is why I responded the way I did and wanted to make sure you know where I am coming from, because I am not all about hating your "favorite place in the World". I wish I could say WDW is my favorite place in the World, but I am not as much into themed hotels as I am into themed parks.
                                    Plus, I have to admit that reading that your parents didn't even know about the Yeti is sad sad sad. For the money spent to go there (or else you got your parents in for free with a main gate pass since I believe you are a CM, so sorry), and the amount of theming in that queue that tells the story of the yeti and HE's the reason why you are riding the stupid coaster in the first place (unless you got Fps for all and didn't suffer with the little people since you know how to use Fp to your adavantage and went thru the queue as fast as possible without reading the yeti storyline..).. well it's ludicrous. As far as I know, you parents never rode Everest if they failed to grasp the story of the attraction. For this I blame Disney Management for not taking care of the core figure here and for not providing your parents and the millions of other riders, a good show that maximizes the enjoyment. THIS is what's WRONG with WDW's management. They just DON'T CARE.
                                    Let me remind you.. $82 plus tax, and it will keep going up. Maybe CMs (especially management ones like clueless Meg) forget that since they enjoy the parks with their main gate passes? but what about the little poeple who actually *PAY* to see these rides?

And to add to my point of view, I too am not blind to the problems I see in Tokyo, Paris, and CA, and I was at Hong Kong Disneyland today (yes I am sitting in my hotel in Kowloon typing away and it's 3am here) and posted comments on the HKDL section, so go check it out if you must. but even a minimal park such as HKDL, does the MK one better, on theming and maintenance alone, and CMs who are more proactive than what I see in Paris and Orlando. So sue me. As a former CM, I expect the same level of quality I gave, and much more since now, I too have to pay a fee to enjoy the parks.

Comment

Working...
                                    X