Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

What do you think about the whole FastPass thing?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] What do you think about the whole FastPass thing?

Hi all,

I've recently seen, on another thread, some mention of not being happy about the Fast Pass system. This surprised me, and I'd like to hear more from people out there, and how you think Fast Pass has helped or hurt the park.

Have at it, folks!

Re: What do you think about the whole FastPass thing?

I think for the most part it's very helpful, but it has its disadvantages. People don't have the same experience on an attraction if they use the Fastpass line. However, I'd rather use Fastpass than wait in a two-hour line.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

Often the line becomes 2 hours because of Fast Pass though. I use it and sure it helps a ton, but something has to change.
      Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

can of worms...

It works for it's intention. It works better in WDW then in DL due to the layouts and space. Guests lose out sometimes on preshow elements if they use FP. But it's a choice.

It works.

End of Line
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I love the fact that I can go on many, if not all, major attractions on any given day without an endless wait in line. I like it, and feel it works quite well overall.

Having said that, there are certainly downsides.

The Fastpass system is very good, particularly on days with moderate attendance. On a busy day however, you might find Fastpasses for Splash Mountain gone early in the day, for example. This can have the effect of "shutting you out" of that ride, depending on your personal tolerance for stand-by lines. It forces you to plan, and schedule your day far in advance, taking away the spontaneity of visiting a Disney park.

It hurts people who might go to a park for just half a day. If I go to The Magic Kingdom for half a day, will I get to do half as many rides as someone there all day? Not necessarily. If I'm there in the morning, I might miss out on Space Mountain because my Fastpass isn't good until after I plan to leave. If I arrive mid-day, Fastpasses for some attractions are already gone. Is it fair that my half day at the park is more like 40% of a day?

It definitely adds to crowding. The people that use their Fastpass wait time to eat and shop? They largely exist only in the mind of Disney management.

It does distract from the queue experience. The best example is Indiana Jones in Disneyland. The queue is an attraction in itself. There's so much to see and do, and it serves the valuable purpose of building atmosphere and anticipation for the attraction. Now you just rush through, and it's a complete waste. If I could remove Fastpass from just one attraction, that'd be it. WDW doesn't have any queues quite as impressive as Indy, but the same criticism applies.
          My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Personally, I don't like it for the most part and I try to avoid using it as much as possible. But sometimes, it's a necessary evil.

Comment

I am (perhaps excessively so) a spontaneous person. Fastpasses by their nature alone don't really suit my fancy.

The idea behind them, reserve a spot now and skip the line, is not a bad one. It just doesn't work that way. Fastpasses for popular rides still get lines. Trying to clear out that line makes the standby line much longer than it should be. Sometimes people even make a line outside of the fastpass line while they wait for their times to come up.
              Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM.
              It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm.. yeah, I think the queue in Indy is better than the actual attraction! I don't get to visit Disneyland too much, but last time I was there I noticed that it didn't seem like too many attractions had FP, especially ones that get really long lines really fast like Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. I suppose there is really no way to do it there.

I have loved Fast Pass. We think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It does dictate how we "do" a park, though. I pretty much will only go if I can there first thing in the morning and start filling up the wallet with fastpasses. We are rather abusive of it in that way. If for some reason we come in the afternoon or evening, we just won't go on attractions with lines. We are rather spoiled and unwilling to wait in line for anything. We do miss out on "queue entertainment" such as the games in Space Mountain.

Comment

It always makes me laugh how people complain about lines when they go to WDW or DL. Like what are you expecting? FP does help to keep those people quiet though.

Comment

My family really like and use the FP. It is very interesting how the FP works in both parks. Going to DL getting a fp then going to DCA and getting a FP makes things work great for us. I guess it is just a matter of preference and choice. Granted sometimes hopping from one park to another can be time consuming but again it is a choice as to how you want to spend your day. I guess in the long run you can either spend your time waiting in line, or hopping from one park to another.

Comment

My favorite time to use Fastpass is right before going to a table service restaurant. We'll get one for an E-ticket like Splash Mountain so we can go on it after we eat and rest for a while.

But I actually haven't used a Fastpass in forever. I pretty much only reserve it for stuff with insane lines (hour or more). I go to Disney so often, I don't mind skipping a ride if the line is too long. If that was NOT the case, I'd probably use Fastpasses a lot more. As it is now, though, I always wait standby.

(Oh, but I really, really wish Disneyland had Fastpass for Peter Pan. I know it would make standby line longer, but I go on Peter Pan less often than any other ride at the park, even though it's one of my favorites, because the line takes FOREVER. Blah.)

Comment

I'm a type-A and like to focus my time, but I know how to use the system. However, now that I am near the parks, I'll probably avoid it.

We'll see.

Peace,
                        Roo
                        husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                          It always makes me laugh how people complain about lines when they go to WDW or DL. Like what are you expecting? FP does help to keep those people quiet though.
                          I grew up waiting in lines and it was just normal to me. My kids are growing up with Fast Pass, and they don't have the slightest patience for any kind of a line. Spoiled!

Originally posted by jupitertronic View Post
                          (Oh, but I really, really wish Disneyland had Fastpass for Peter Pan. I know it would make standby line longer, but I go on Peter Pan less often than any other ride at the park, even though it's one of my favorites, because the line takes FOREVER. Blah.)
                          Ditto! last time I was at Disneyland I was sure to get there when they opened and went right on Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. Oh, heavenly nostalgia!

(I think Peter Pan as changed since the seventies, though!)

Comment

Originally posted by jupitertronic View Post
                            Perhaps the people who are willing to line up for Peter Pan love it more.

That's another nice thing about non-Fastpass attractions: you "pay" to go on the ride with your time, so it weeds out the people who don't value the attraction as much.

This probably benefits the infrequent visitor as well. For a local who goes often, the stand-by line for any given attraction becomes more and more unappealing, and helps keep wait times manageable. 45 minutes to ride Pan is worth it for the vacationer, not so much for the person who's been on it dozens or hundreds of times.

With Fastpass, I might go on a ride I otherwise wouldn't, because I don't have to spend my valuable time waiting. I'm adding to the wait time of those who value the experience more than I do.

Having said all that, I've always thought it would be nice to add Fastpass to Peter Pan in Disneyland. It seems unfair that not a single Fantasyland attraction gets that perk. Young guests in particular don't get a single break from the stand-by lines, while the rest of us get a mix of stand-by and Fastpass.
                            My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                              Often the line becomes 2 hours because of Fast Pass though. I use it and sure it helps a ton, but something has to change.
                              Logic dictates that fastpass users take up valuable seating space for people waiting in line.

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                              I grew up waiting in lines and it was just normal to me. My kids are growing up with Fast Pass, and they don't have the slightest patience for any kind of a line. Spoiled!
                              I agree. These days, people want instant-gratification and if they can't get it right now it's called bad service. I am all for a "first come first serve" policy. You take your time to explore the park but if you want to go on a ride, you better plan accordingly. No pampering.

And Disney makes sure waiting in a queue is just exciting as being on the ride itself.

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                              Ditto! last time I was at Disneyland I was sure to get there when they opened and went right on Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. Oh, heavenly nostalgia!

(I think Peter Pan as changed since the seventies, though!)
                              I remember some years ago, I spent new year's at DLP and after midnight, we immediately charged for Peter Pan. We still had to wait in line, but there were a couple of French lads going through the queue wishing us a happy new year.

Now that is why I go to a Disney park.

Comment

My thoughts:

FP are a definite help while at the parks if you plan your around getting them. If you don't, they are a definite hurt if you plan on doing any attractions with FPs. (that statement is an obvious I think everyone would agree on)

Personally speaking, FP were great when I used them and really added kind of a crazy excitement to the trip. It was almost like gambling in a way. Will I win a fastpass with a good return time when I put my ticket in this slot? Kind of disheartening when they ran out though. It really didn't disrupt spontaneity that I could stlll be spontaneous on the rides without fastpasses, and if I really wanted to go on an attraction this instant with a long line, I could either get a FP to ride it again later, or get another fastpass for another ride en-route or with a slight detour to get there.

Some queues are nice themed and all, but I'd rather zip through the line any day than wait in a decent queue. I do have patience to wait in an hour or longer line once the FP run out for the day. I don't think FP spoil us in any way as we still have to wait for plenty of other things other places.
                                Like our trip to Disneyworld that is less than a year away now
                                Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Lamp View Post
                                  Logic dictates that fastpass users take up valuable seating space for people waiting in line.
                                  Not sure I understand what you are trying to say?

Comment

I think as a general concept it works, and the negative impacts are usually minimal. We didn't use fastpass on our last trip and didn't run into too many egregious waits. Well, we did use it on Toy Story Midway Mania, but that's more because of MGM's lack of attractions leading to big lines than anything.

There are some attractions where the fastpass to non-fastpass ratio needs some tweaking, though. We waited in the normal line for Soarin', and saw 3 to 4 fast pass people go through compared to our line, which was a little disconcerting to say the least. Although, they were trying to test the new queue games at Soarin', so I almost wonder if they were artificially inflating the line to get feedback.
                                    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

I'm with Flynn on this one, Big can of worms!

Personally I like it a lot more than Universal's "buy your way to the front of the line" system. It's free it's open to everyone not just resort guests, and it works the way Disney intended it to for the most part.

The last part is key, while we think of it as simply a way to bypass the line and do another attraction or wait in another line Disney is hoping you spend some time shopping or partaking of food and beverage, and not remembering the need to "stand in line forever". They also use it as an incentive for sitting though the DVC sales pitches as they give you 3 instant use fast passes for the time you spend listening to the sales pitches. (Although between that and the free ice cream it's almost worth sitting though it...) :ap:

And lets face it just like the Magical Express if Fastpasses where not generating revenue for Disney in some capacity it would not be free or even an option these days. The "convenience" of theses services offer some sort of competative or finacial advantage to Disney, even if it is not something that's aparent to the customer. :ap:
                                      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

I once showed a woman that FP was free and that she could do it too! ...... But she didn't believe me. She said Disney hired me to trick people like her into spending more $$$.

Comment

Working...
                                        X