Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

What do you think about the whole FastPass thing?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What do you think about the whole FastPass thing?

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    (snip)... If Fastpass unfairly benefits the tourist, surely annual passes unfairly benefit the locals. Different groups get different advantages. If everything were to actually be completely fair, I think that those who doth protest the loudest, might be shocked to find out how good they actually had it.

If they eliminated Fastpass out of fairness, and simultaneously charged everyone the same daily admission out of fairness, stopping in for the evening would be a thing of the past for most people.
    Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    (snip) I personally don't like any of the hard ticket events, as it closes the parks for me to just enjoy a normal day. (snip)
    Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    (snip) Not everyone who goes to the parks are frumpy tourists that arrive at the crack of dawn and be there all day. Many of us have to go to work in the daytime, and buy an Ap to be able to enjoy the parks for a while in the evening. Just because I am not able to arrive at the parks early, for whatever reason, should not be reason to block me from having access to the Fastpass system for every ride.(snip)
    Different groups do get different advantages, that's very true. I don't like events that are ticketed separately like that Halloween party, for example, because I'm not going to pay when I've already paid for my annual pass, and sometimes it irks me that I have to plan on leaving the park at 7, no parade or fireworks, because of these events.

My friend, who is not a passholder, loves these events, because it's an opportunity for her family to enjoy the parks, relatively uncrowded, for not a bazillion dollars.

TDLfan, I am sorry that my once-every-three months habit of getting in the fast pass queue an hour late for space mountain makes you wait a few minutes longer, but you know what? I'd give anything to just pop in after work! Alas, I am four hours away.

I am keenly aware that the FP system makes it a "get there when they open or forget it" kind of park, and that is a definite disadvantage. I'd love to drive up Saturday morning (four hours away) to save money on the hotel, but I know that if I do that, the lines will be too long, and I won't be able to get fastpasses. It ain't perfect, but I (personally) think the advantages outweigh the negatives. When you do have the whole day to spend at the park, you can get more bang for your buck, ride all your favorites, and not wait 90 minutes for anything. This can be done even sticking strictly to the return window. Done it many times. Anyone can do it. Just get there when they open, and get (and use) fastpasses as soon as they become available. I tell anyone who will listen to me to do this. I have heard CM do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by TriSarahtops View Post
      So adults Only ride Dumbo, and peter pan if they are trying to kill time, and are therefore stealing the fun out of a trip to Disney from a little child? Come on.... Adults can ride Dumbo too....
      I didn't say adults were "stealing the fun" or that they only ride Dumbo to kill time. I was pointing out that at Disneyland in particular, the youngest guests don't benefit from Fastpass at all, and may endure longer waits for the attractions they can ride, because some extra people are there who might otherwise be in a queue for Indy, Space Mountain, etc.

I see that as more unfair, because at Disneyland Fastpass truly isn't available to everyone.
      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

But wouldn't that line have been 90 minutes long pre-FP? It would have been a faster moving line, and hence be more tolerable to wait in. But it still would have been just as long as it is now.
        Yes, I suppose the wait times for Fastpass attractions are probably similair to what they were in the past. I can't stand those slow stand-by lines, so for Fastpass attractions I only use Fastpass.

A better example might be that someone arriving mid-day might find longer wait times at non-Fastpass attractions, due to extra people using their extra time to go on that attraction.

I like Fastpass, and you're right about it averaging out over time, but that's not necesscarily the case for late arrivals. So, I do see TDLFAN's point about the unfairness of it. I just don't have much sympathy, because as a local he gets other benefits (cheap annual admission). If we wanted true fairness, levelling the playing field would affect more than just Fastpass.

Comment

I can tell you what it says on the fast pass ticket since I have used them and looked at them a lot. Now what I will post may not be just what is says in the fast pass word for word but it has the same message. For example let's say someone says "That is a pretty white Cat" and someone else says "That white Cat is pretty". See the words are a little different, but they both mean the same thing.

Anyways this is what is basically said on the fast passes. I will use Peter Pan as an example. Also let us say that you get the fast pass at 2 pm.

On the front of the fast pass it says "You may return from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm"

On the back of the fast pass it says "We can't accept early arrivals" One of the other things that is says on the back is "Must be used on this date"

That is what it basically says on the fast pass. Now I want to point out something. Notice that it does say this "We can't accept early arrivals". Also notice that it does not say this "We can't accept early arrivals or late arrivals". Notice that is does not say anything about late arrivals when it does say that they can't accept early arrivals. Could there be a reason why it explains that they can't accept early arrivals but they never say anything about late arrivals?

So thinking about all of this really close and everthing make me think that it's something like this. Disney wants most people to return to use the fast pass within whatever hour it says on the fast pass. But Disney is fine with accepting late arrivals as long as it's on that same day. I believe Disney understands that sometimes people can get held up. Some rides can break down to hold you up. Other times maybe a sit down resteraunt might take longer than you were told because the food brought to your table was not what you ordered and it took extra time for them to bring you what you ordered. There can also be any number of things to hold you up. Disney will not accept early arrivals because those who get there early can always either wait or come back. With late arrivals who might have got held up they really can't come back if Disney does not accept the late arrivals so Disney makes the choice to accept late arrivals as long as they come back on the same day. Also I think Disney understands that since it's says on the front that you can return from 6:35 pm to 7:35 pm or 8:40 pm to 9:40 pm that a lot of people will return during those times. Disney might also be thinking that the ones who do return late would not make that big of a difference in how long the fast pass line is.
          Last edited by tiny tim; 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I do see TDLFAN's point about the unfairness of it. I just don't have much sympathy, because as a local he gets other benefits (cheap annual admission). If we wanted true fairness, levelling the playing field would affect more than just Fastpass.
            That is a fair point, but don't hate me because I am a local. I think vancouver is a much beautiful place filled with Canadien men.. well.. nice .
            But please take pity on me. (sarcastic remark there) I'll be at HKDL this monday and TDR on tuesday... and I am not a local at those parks.. (but have APs for them as well), and you can have an AP for WDW too and enjoy the same benefits you envy. Trust me, getting $10 knocked off my AP price just because I am a "resident" is hardly a reason for me to shut up and live with it. Truth is.. I am living with it at ALL Disney parks I visit frequently, and in Tokyo in particular, FP has created major messes and extra ling lines. My point of view is about fairness for all guests regardless where they come from or live. I am old school. I believe in standing in line and waiting your turn to be served. Like I said before.. people who are not patient, have no business going to theme parks.

Comment

I like Fastpass, and you're right about it averaging out over time, but that's not necesscarily the case for late arrivals. So, I do see TDLFAN's point about the unfairness of it.
              The point I've been trying to make all along is that a Disney park experience will always be somewhat limited for late arrivals. Before FP you had long lines at attractions, same as with FP. So if I'm going to show up at 4pm and want to ride Splash, I'm stuck with a 60 minute wait no matter what. Nothing unfair about it - just the reality of the situation.

Comment

At this point.... I'm done lol Obviously we all have our own reasons for HATING Fastpass....or...liking it/not caring too much about it. I personally have no problem with it whatsoever. It has never caused me any issues, and can't see my mind changing any time soon.

TDLFAN--I promise to wave to you as a quickly walk past you in the standby line, with my free front of the line pass to Splash

Just kidding, I dont use FP for splash...I like the queue too much

Comment

The point I've been trying to make all along is that a Disney park experience will always be somewhat limited for late arrivals. Before FP you had long lines at attractions, same as with FP. So if I'm going to show up at 4pm and want to ride Splash, I'm stuck with a 60 minute wait no matter what. Nothing unfair about it - just the reality of the situation.
                  It's true there will always be downsides to late arrivals, but to some degree I see Fastpass as taking away their options. As has been pointed out, those people holding Fastpasses are now in the parks, increasing wait times for other rides. I'm not 100% convinced stand-by times are consistent with pre-Fastpass wait times, for any attractions.

That is a fair point, but don't hate me because I am a local. I think vancouver is a much beautiful place filled with Canadien men.. well.. nice .
                  Not at all, but don't hate me because I book up all the dining reservations, and their prices are inflated, because I get the free dining plan. And don't hate me when I take advantage of evening magic hours, while you're on your way out the door. And don't hate me because all the Fastpasses are gone before you even get through the entry gates.

Comment

I don't hate *you* BC.. you are too cute for me to hate you. But I hate it that Disney has cut back the time they allow regular guests paying to go there. Disney should not penalize those who stay off property. They pay just as much to enter the parks as those of you who stay on property.
                    I am not advocating more time for myself specifically. I can drive into WDW at any time, any day I please.. so it's not a priority to be there at any specific time. But I do feel Disney is sticking it to those who do not stay on property, don't have an AP, and come from out of town. They pay just as much to fly into Orlando as well. It's besides me why Disney closes the park to regular guests just to offer a few hours of entertainment to people who most probably are eating their way for free around the resort and also likely they're getting reduced rates at the mods hotels.
                    If Disney is willing to keep parks opened pass 7pm for magic hours, then why not keep the park open late FOR ALL, and reap the benefits of more profits in merchandise and food sales? Especially when some of you already eat off the mouse for free.

Comment

That's a good question, TDLfan. I've thought that it was a gimmicky way to get people into the lesser-trafficed parks (AK and HS). But that doesn't explain why they'd stay open late for some people and not others. Are they trying to lure me to stay in Disney resorts? Not working. I used to stay on-property, but it's just gotten too expensive. I have a growing family, and waiting in a huge line to check into the very-tiny-roomed value resorts for not that great of a price isn't working for me. There's a bazillion off-property choices. I avoid the Morning Magic Hour parks anyway, because they seem to be more crowded the rest of the day.

If they want to get me back on property, they need to lower rates, and forget this "magic hour" garbage.

So, I like fastpass, but I don't like magic hours. I'm sure people do, though!

Comment

Off-topic perhaps, but are the "extra" magic hours truly extra, or just a gimmick to make you think you're getting a good deal by staying on property?

There are nights where EMH goes from midnight to 3:00 am. Those are clearly extra hours. But on nights when Animal Kingdom stays open past 5:00 pm? One could argue it should reasonably stay open past 5:00 pm for all guests.

Kind of like the dining plan. Are meals overpriced to make the dining plan seem like a good add-on, or would they cost that much anyway? Theme park food is not usually known for being a bargain, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23
                          I've thought that it was a gimmicky way to get people into the lesser-trafficed parks (AK and HS).
                          Originally posted by BC_Disneygeek
                          are the "extra" magic hours truly extra, or just a gimmick to make you think you're getting a good deal by staying on property?
                          It's all a gimmick. fastpass, extra tragic hours, free dining plan.. It's an illusion of good customer service. But deep down.. it's about finding creative ways to squeeze money out of you. Reason why I am cheap and buy the cheaper AP with no water parks. The less I spend, the more happy I am with my AP. but all I ask is that they return the queues to normal so I can wait (whatever amount of time it takes) in a line that actually moves.

Comment

It's all a gimmick. fastpass, extra tragic hours, free dining plan.. It's an illusion of good customer service. But deep down.. it's about finding creative ways to squeeze money out of you.
                            Yep......and the funny thing is Disney has done such a great job in convincing people that they want what they're dishing out that even if they wanted to return to the days of actual good customer service many people would fight it tooth and nail.
                            Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Correct. It's called "WalMartization". Everyday cheap prices, but not all that great customer service...on in WDW's case, it translates into less than magical maintenance, attractions, and bus/mono services.. and a cast where 77.4% of them are hardly fluent in english. <--that number is even better than the actual # of people employed in our local Walmarts, where 97.1 of them don't speak english AT ALL!

The irony is this: WDW is not a cheap place, and we still don't get the same caliber of rides, cast, cleanliness and maintenace I saw in CA's DLR...

Comment

Working...
                              X