This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Driving Times

I am sure the buses are a decent form of transportation between parks and your resort at Disney World. However, as stated a couple times, driving and having a rent a car can save you some time, especially traveling from resort to resort.

Let me direct some questions concerning the manner of driving.

If I stay at the Wilderness Lodge, which is the current plan, I decided that I will probably drive to Epcot, DHS, and AK while taking the ferry to MK (or the bus).

Can someone estimate the driving time from WL to Epcot? from WL to DHS? from WL to AK? Can someone compare those to a rough approximation of the bus times if you assume an average bus wait time?

Epcot, DHS, and AK all have no shuttle to get to the parks once you are there. You just park your car and walk to the park correct? I know MK has the parking lot by the TTC and then directs you from there to the MK.
    Last edited by Yackerz; 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM. Reason: Fairy is not the same as ferry! *DOH*!
    Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Re: Driving Times

Originally posted by Yackerz View Post
    I am sure the buses are a decent form of transportation between parks
    Epcot, DHS, and AK all have no shuttle to get to the parks once you are there. You just park your car and walk to the park correct? I know MK has the parking lot by the TTC and then directs you from there to the MK.
    This is correct. You may just have to use the trams depending on where you park
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

If I stay at the Wilderness Lodge, which is the current plan, I decided that I will probably drive to Epcot, DHS, and AK while taking the fairy to MK (or the bus).
      I do not think Tink is offering WL to MK service anymore. :-)

BGL
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      My Avatar: Duck vs. Monorail, Disneyland 3/18/11

Comment

:lol:

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by BGLeduc View Post
          I do not think Tink is offering WL to MK service anymore. :-)

BGL
          Tink? What is tink? That is a new term !
          Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

Tink? What is tink? That is a new term !
            Tinkerbell...

In your post, you said that you were going to take a "fairy" to MK. :-)

BGL
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            My Avatar: Duck vs. Monorail, Disneyland 3/18/11

Comment

hahaha very funny ~

Comment

This link should help it's a transportation wizard for WDW. Pretty nifty tool!
                OLP: Transportation Wizard -- Our Laughing Place home of OLPTravel

Comment

Last edited by Yackerz; 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I
                    EPCOT and DHS have trams just like the MK's that take you from the parking lot to the TTC. In this case though, the trams for EPCOT & DHS take you to the park entrance. I rode the tram at EPCOT a little over a week ago. COming back though, it was easier & quicker to just walk to my car as I wasn't parked too far away (first row of the Discover lot).

Comment

They do say this little remark, I don't know if it refers to the wait times for the buses.
                      * Add 5-10 minutes at each segment wait time for transportation.
                      I think that means that if you take a bus to TTC and then transfer to the monorail or something similar you would add 5 to 10 minutes. :thumbup:

Comment

Got ya, so your saying that the generator doesn't account for sitting and waiting for a bus which could take up to 20 minutes :-P. Thus driving by car to the parks will almost always be faster than the bus route taking into account this factor.

Comment

Got ya, so your saying that the generator doesn't account for sitting and waiting for a bus which could take up to 20 minutes :-P. Thus driving by car to the parks will almost always be faster than the bus route taking into account this factor.
                          But getting through the gates, and parking, then waiting for the tram, walking to the gate.... will take longer than taking the bus. The bus is faster and so much less hassle. (from personal experience) I'd never drive uness I had a real reason to....though I don't know what that would be....perhaps if I had octuplets lol

Comment

Really? I know of some people that would disagree with you there about the driving verses the buses. I know buses are less hassle, but it seems the ride can be almost twice as long in some instances.

I probably say the longest ride for me would be from WL to DAK.

Comment

I prefer driving. The buses can be a pain since I travel with the kids and carriages and bags and so on and so on. When I have my car, I get to my car and throw everything into the trunk and off I go. On the bus, I have to sit on the bus and balance a sleeping child in my lap while holding on to my carriage and bags. It ain't easy.

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

You can drive almost anywhere on property in about 10mins. There really is no such thing as traffic - it's just about a few traffic lights and lower speed limits.

At the parks, walking vs tram varies based on where you are parked and the parks. At MK, often you can walk to TTC (in fact, I've never taken a TTC tram that I can recall). At EPCOT and MGM, tram depends on where you are parked. We often end up walking at EPCOT. DAK we always have had to take the tram.

The trams are very good at pickup and I've never waited any amount of time that made me frustrated. It's nothing like the tram experience at DLR.

Other factors include where you park at your hotel. In fact, we make a point about where the parking is relative to the rooms. For instance, at Shades of Green, we can get rooms directly connected to the parking garage. Or at AllStar Sports, the parking is very close to the buildings. At Pop, it can be a little further. So some properties are better then others in terms of getting to your car.

As for the buses - the ride itself is fine - it's the waiting that is unpredictable. The MK is the one stand out exception now that they let buses run right to MK instead of the TTC. Cutting out the monorail or ferry of course will be quicker. But I always still take the ferry or monorail and refuse to take the MK bus on principle.

The boats are rarely the fastest way - but they aren't about speed.. its about the journey.

Overall cars are generally going to be faster. You may strike it lucky a few times on the bus, but in the long haul you'll probably be slower. Especially if you are on a poor bus route like having to goto All Stars Movies.

If you are worried about time and want efficiency - take a car. If you want to forget responsibilities - take the bus and DME.

I prefer the flexibility of a car. Oopps.. decide you need something from the pharmacy? No problem, just go do it. Decide you wish to go offsite? Just go do it. Worried about what time transportation starts for your early ADR? Who cares.. just drive.
                                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I probably say the longest ride for me would be from WL to DAK.
                                  The distance by road isn't normally the dominate factor. It's waits and the locations of drop offs, trams, gates, intervals, etc that dominate everything.

For instance, WL to DAK by car will be dominated by its a long walk from the WL entrance to the parking lot, and at DAK you will park way out and ride a tram. Since there are direct buses, WL to DAK may be quicker by bus if you time the buses right.
                                  Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                  Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                  Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                    The distance by road isn't normally the dominate factor. It's waits and the locations of drop offs, trams, gates, intervals, etc that dominate everything.

For instance, WL to DAK by car will be dominated by its a long walk from the WL entrance to the parking lot, and at DAK you will park way out and ride a tram. Since there are direct buses, WL to DAK may be quicker by bus if you time the buses right.
                                    Thanks for the insight. We've talked about this before I remember but not in particular from WL. The key to what you said is "if you time the buses right". This probably isn't an easy task.

I do think I will have a car at WDW and definitely will probably use priceline or hotwire to get the car. Not sure of my actual amount of use at the parks with it. In the end, I'll probably opt to drive to a park the first night and if I don't like the experience of driving, then I'll take the bus the rest of the time.
                                    Since you said traffic isn't really an issue, then I probably will be fine with it. The DL traffic was "fun" at times for sure.

Comment

I never had an issue with traffic at the parks. Even at the close, leaving the parks never had a long line of cars. Parking is free for resort guests. My only issue is I always get lost, but that just may be me.

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Ya, I can imagine it be easy to get lost.

If you get lost I suggest you check out the GPS markers available to download at mousesavers.com It is what I plan on getting / using when going on my trip next year.

MouseSavers.com - Using GPS to navigate Disney World

Comment

Working...
                                        X