This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News New GPS Disney device with up to minute wait times

New GPS Disney device with up to minute wait times.

http://mickeyupdates.com/site/news.p...rom=&ucat=100&

This is cool!

Re: New GPS Disney device with up to minute wait times

It's an Android phone. Looks like either a Droid Eris, or maybe a Droid X.

Interesting.
    -Monorail Man

Comment

For those who don't like the idea of having everywhere you go on Disney property tracked, nor having your personal preferences in attractions, stores, restaurants and entertainment ending up in a Disney databank with your name on it, it's creepy.

For those who think Disney will utilize this technology to benefit you and not them, think again.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

still kinda cool, in a very big brother sortof way...as accurate as phone gps devices are I'm surprised they can pinpoint precisely what attraction at...my android phone always tells me like 500-1000 m away from where I'm at...though that's maybe because i refuse to turn location on so it can only sense where I'm at using cell towers
        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
        -George S. Patton

Comment

GPS? Hopefully Aunt Clara from the midwest will finally find her way to the nearest restroom while in the MK.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
            GPS? Hopefully Aunt Clara from the midwest will finally find her way to the nearest restroom while in the MK.
            Sorry TDLfan, dumb people exist everywhere and savvy people also exist everywhere. There is no reason to stereotype people from the midwest -after all, our president who I suppose could find a bathroom was a Senator in Illinois. There's really no reason to stereotype and no reason for this off the cuff comment
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
            And I can tell you 'bout today
            And how I picked you up and everything changed
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain
            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post

As someone from the midwest I kinda find this pretty funny...

but anyways why they wouldn't just make it a phone application for android phones, as this is clearly based off of the android software I dunno, that'd be a very quick way to make 1.99$ or .99 on the thing, and I can see alot more people being able to use that and find that application than figuring out that they can rent these devices(also lowers the risk of one of the devices going missing)
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
              -George S. Patton

Comment

I'd rent one if it were cheap enough. I'd say $25 or less a day. It seems pretty cool for the most part.
                Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                  For those who don't like the idea of having everywhere you go on Disney property tracked, nor having your personal preferences in attractions, stores, restaurants and entertainment ending up in a Disney databank with your name on it, it's creepy.

For those who think Disney will utilize this technology to benefit you and not them, think again.

And for those who think it's silly to think that Disney would want to follow their customers around...
                  Suit alleges Disney, other top sites spied on users
                  CNET news
                  August 14, 2010

A lawsuit filed in federal court last week alleges that a group of well-known Web sites, including those owned by Disney, Warner Bros. Records, and Demand Media, broke the law by secretly tracking the Web movements of their users, including children.

Attorneys representing a group of minors and their parents filed the suit Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, records show. The suit alleges that Clearspring Technologies, a software company that creates widgets and also offers a way to serve ads via widgets, is at the center of the wrongdoing.

Web site operators such as Disney, Playlist.com, and SodaHead are "Clearspring Flash Cookie Affiliates," the plaintiffs allege in their suit. Clearspring set "Flash cookies on (affiliate site) users' computers...online tracking device(s) which would allow access to and disclosure of Internet users' online activities."

The Web sites working with Clearspring knew users weren't just tracked at sites owned by affiliates, but were followed without their knowledge wherever they went online, the defendants wrote in their suit.

Clearspring and Disney representatives were not immediately available for comment Saturday. A representative for Warner Music Group, parent company of Warner Bros. Records, declined to comment.

A similar lawsuit was filed last month against Clearspring rival Quantcast, as well as a host of that company's clients, including ABC and NBC. The same law firms that filed that suit--Parisi & Havens, and the Law Office of Joseph Malley--were responsible for filing the recent complaint.

The suit against Clearspring was filed one year after researchers from UC Berkeley issued a report on how more than half of the Internet's best known Web sites use Adobe's Flash technology to surreptitiously gather information about their users, according to a story in Wired.com.

"Flash Cookies" are not affected when users try to remove traditional cookies with their browser's privacy controls.

"What's even sneakier," Wired.com reporter Ryan Singel wrote then, is "several services even use the surreptitious data storage to reinstate traditional cookies that a user deleted, which is called 're-spawning,'" This means that a user may kill a cookie, but some technologies will bring it back to life by assigning that cookie's unique ID to a new cookie.
                  Full text here.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

Comment

Well I suppose we can't say disney doesn't listen, anymore....
                    Motor Mania!:yea:

Comment

Originally posted by Spacoli View Post
                      Well I suppose we can't say disney doesn't listen, anymore....
                      *rimshot*

I'm really not shocked and outraged with those practices, since the majority of companies do something slightly shady to get more customer information. I'm not saying it's right, and it definitely needs to change, but Disney is far from alone in it sadly. As for the GPS device, at least you can simply choose not to use it, as it's not like you're going to be tagged with it when you enter the park (though I'm sure someone will say "yet").
                      "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

Originally posted by garlicth03 View Post
                        New GPS Disney device with up to minute wait times.

MickeyUpdates - For all things Disney!

This is cool!
                        Hopefully better than their deal with Verizon with the app for wait times that are only available when you are in the park, making it somewhat less than fully useful.

A bientot.
                        Remember
                        What the dormouse said
                        Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

Working...
                        X