Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantasyland plans changing - officially.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fantasyland plans changing - officially.

I hear your point^^^ but I for once agree with management and I am glad the emphasis on princesses meet, as originally intended, is being somewhat scrapped. This is an embarrasment for Disney to publicly admit that their so-heralded expansion of fantasyland is simply a dud compared to what the competition is bringing to the table. Disney should be ashamed.
    But as the pessimist I tent to be.. I am not holding my breath much. yes, we'll probably see the Ariel ride and the Beast restaurant.. but I am pressed to believe they will give us much more than that in the next two years. Personally, I can not wait to see Toontown fair be dismantled and gone for good. It was a cheap temporary attempt that has overstayed its welcome. Yet, now I think we'll be stuck with Toontown and the old Dumbo for the long haul. If that is the case, then what I would like them to do is this: Revamp the existing Fantasyland to DL/DLP standards, ditching the circus tent facades for more realist village ones, lay down cobblestones on the floors, add more foliage, greenery, flowers...and go inside the C-tickets and bring them on to 21st century standards. The dreamer in me would like nothing more than to see the Pinocchio ride come to the former FL Skyway station area, or Toad, and even Alice's rides.. and heck. Put Matterhorn in as well! Sky is the limit.. but it won't happen.

At this point in time, I hope they do right by the old Fantasyland and improve what they got, while adding a bit more. <---that's what my gut feeling tells me they will end up doing. But again.. who knows?

Comment

The problem with New Fantasyland is that while it is badly needed, bringing the atmosphere up the standards of other parks isn't exactly a reason for anyone to visit unless they have never been to any of the other parks. I suppose there's quite a few. DLR ceded the National Tourist Attraction title to WDW around 1994 and resigned itself to being an LA treasure virtually ignored outside of California and the states it touches. And most Americans don't even own a passport or have plans to leave American soil in their lifetimes.

But what WDW needs is something in the vein of Cars Land finding a new use for Wonders of Life. Not just new atmosphere, but more than one new attraction gate to compliment it. But they seem incapable of multitasking, and I admit that WDW's FL needs the work more.

Comment

Not sure that I quite agree with your..." bringing the atmosphere up the standards of other parks isn't exactly a reason for anyone to visit unless they have never been to any of the other parks." comment.

Disney has been on the rampage lately trying to have cohesiveness in their parks. Reason why TDR has adopted the frumpy "Where Dreams Come True" slogan. With that same rationale in mind, I expect Disney to make sure they can offer the same level of quality at every park I visit, and internally, they should stribe for that goal. There is no reason why DL has bricked sidewalks, and the MK does not. There is no reason why TDR is immaculately clean and DLP is not. The fact that each resort has their own dedicated management team has created an inbalance of sorts. Every improvement that is done in any given park, be the level of cleanliness or theme, should also be applied to the other parks uniformly. There is no reason why guests in Japan are getting the best disney experience, while the guests in Orlando are receiving 75% of that, at 15% more price of admission. C'mon! Just because one person doesn't know what goes on in HK over what happens in CA is noreason for Disney to slack off in their duties of being the industry leader in theme park operation.

But that's just how I see it. I very much understand that what Aunt Clara from the Missoula doesn't know, won't hurt her... and in this case, what guests don't know in any respective park, about the other parks, is what allows Disney to keep lowering the standards. As the avid disney park fan I am.. I don't accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
          Not sure that I quite agree with your..." bringing the atmosphere up the standards of other parks isn't exactly a reason for anyone to visit unless they have never been to any of the other parks." comment.
          Putting new exterior dress and area loop over all the old rides that were already there with nothing new going on isn't really a draw.

I have seen DLR's perfectly themed swiss village Fantasyland already, and it's nice, but when it was brand new it didn't draw me to DL. I went finally many years later for the 35th and Splash Mountain. While I admit that I love some of the before/after changes of New Fantasyland DLR (particularly Snow White), I'm not going to WDW for new facades in front of the same old Readers Digest versions of the dark rides.

The fact that each resort has their own dedicated management team has created an inbalance of sorts. Every improvement that is done in any given park, be the level of cleanliness or theme, should also be applied to the other parks uniformly.
          Well, we've talked about that before. I've said before and I'll say it again: MK lives with a smaller budget than the other Kingdoms because it is simply one component in a much bigger machine. I still enjoy going to MK because of the "Disneyland XL" feel of some of it's lands, particularly Main Street and Adventureland, but there's a reason all my best memories involve Epcot or the resorts. That's what they have over DLR.

Honestly, I'm not a little surprised anymore that MK is kind of the caboose of the bunch. I used to think it was ridiculous because it was the flagship park of the park division's crown jewel. But now I think it was never built to wear that title, at least not for all these years. Even Walt shuffled the MK off to the far north end of the lot because he hoped people would lose interest in it once they saw his new, better ideas.

Comment

DLP's the biggest Magic Kindom, so the XL feel you get is pure illusion at best, its just not that big all told. The facades in Fantasyland are fairly weak compared to every other FL, it needs some serious money pumped into it and and some care, then continuous care from then on. I'll be honest, i'm happy they're adding TLM, since the odds of me getting to California any time soon are slim. If they're planning on adding more E-Tickets i'll welcome them with open arms, since in FL, you know what to expect, you know it won't be Pixar and you know it'll have appeal.

I'm fairly negative, but my motto of "you get what you pay for" doesn't always ring true with WDW as TDLFAN pointed out. If i'm going to fly 9 hours to Florida, i'd expect the same experience atleast of DLP which is 2 hours away.

Comment

DLP is the biggest? That with those compact walkways? I dunno.. TDL seems more expansive to me.. But I honestly don't have actual numbers on park acreage.

In regards to quality.. one of the reasons why i love TDL so much, and one of the reasons why people put it down as much as well.. it's because TDL is so very much like the MK in many ways. I miss the old classic feel and look of the MK. That look is still there at TDL, plus walking TDL is like walking the MK, but done right...which s another reason why comparisons between TDL and the MK come easy for me.. Example, if the castle in TDL can look so regal, then why is the same castle in the MK looking kinda drab?

Comment

On a positive note, the Teacups in Florida are finally being taken down for a lengthy refurb till november. Thank goodness. It was shambles when I visited 3 weeks ago. A pure shame and I am unashamed at venting over it. Lanterns looked like mildew run amuck, and a floor that had so much foot traffic, you couldnt tell it was painted to look colorful. (the teacups, however, where shiny and clean). There was no magic. This should change with the refurb.

I would love to see a Wonderland expansion......wether you like the film (Disney's animated) or not, it is still iconic and magical. It offers a lot of material to work with (maze, rides, landscaping, statuary, etc).

There is SO MUCH ROOM at Florida's MK, they could create amazing environments themed to each ride. Instead, as mentioned above, it's congested, tight, and very little is done to transport you to the places of your dreams. Let's face it, Fantasyland should be the wonder-jewel in the crown. It should make young and old feel like children in, well, FANTASYLAND!

I do like the tent/tournament style, as long as they do it to the nth degree, like overseas. (strolling minstrel bands, flags and regal appointments everywhere). It should FEEL like a splendid courtyard of a castle.

I felt sad, walking thru there with my nephew. THere were too many 'ghosts' around of former attractions and an obvious neglect of resurrection.

It's exciting that this will change soon. So exciting.

Comment

^^^
                  TDLFAN: I did not notice the castle in Florida looking drab. Perhaps it did...I usually stop and bask in its shadow, but with nephew in tow, I could not wax romantic.

I will say, the ramps UP to the castle in every direction have turned into PRIME SMOKING SECTIONS, and I was shocked to walk thru a very thick cloud of cigarette smoke at night...wondering why a CM could not see this.

Felt like I was at DLP.....oops! Sorry.

Comment

I hear your point^^^ but I for once agree with management and I am glad the emphasis on princesses meet, as originally intended, is being somewhat scrapped. This is an embarrasment for Disney to publicly admit that their so-heralded expansion of fantasyland is simply a dud compared to what the competition is bringing to the table. Disney should be ashamed.
                    But as the pessimist I tent to be.. I am not holding my breath much. yes, we'll probably see the Ariel ride and the Beast restaurant.. but I am pressed to believe they will give us much more than that in the next two years. Personally, I can not wait to see Toontown fair be dismantled and gone for good. It was a cheap temporary attempt that has overstayed its welcome. Yet, now I think we'll be stuck with Toontown and the old Dumbo for the long haul. If that is the case, then what I would like them to do is this: Revamp the existing Fantasyland to DL/DLP standards, ditching the circus tent facades for more realist village ones, lay down cobblestones on the floors, add more foliage, greenery, flowers...and go inside the C-tickets and bring them on to 21st century standards. The dreamer in me would like nothing more than to see the Pinocchio ride come to the former FL Skyway station area, or Toad, and even Alice's rides.. and heck. Put Matterhorn in as well! Sky is the limit.. but it won't happen.

At this point in time, I hope they do right by the old Fantasyland and improve what they got, while adding a bit more. <---that's what my gut feeling tells me they will end up doing. But again.. who knows?

Disney has been on the rampage lately trying to have cohesiveness in their parks. Reason why TDR has adopted the frumpy "Where Dreams Come True" slogan. With that same rationale in mind, I expect Disney to make sure they can offer the same level of quality at every park I visit, and internally, they should stribe for that goal. There is no reason why DL has bricked sidewalks, and the MK does not. There is no reason why TDR is immaculately clean and DLP is not. The fact that each resort has their own dedicated management team has created an inbalance of sorts. Every improvement that is done in any given park, be the level of cleanliness or theme, should also be applied to the other parks uniformly. There is no reason why guests in Japan are getting the best disney experience, while the guests in Orlando are receiving 75% of that, at 15% more price of admission. C'mon! Just because one person doesn't know what goes on in HK over what happens in CA is noreason for Disney to slack off in their duties of being the industry leader in theme park operation.

But that's just how I see it. I very much understand that what Aunt Clara from the Missoula doesn't know, won't hurt her... and in this case, what guests don't know in any respective park, about the other parks, is what allows Disney to keep lowering the standards. As the avid disney park fan I am.. I don't accept it.
                    Here here! Well said! Couldn't agree more...

(Delighted to come across a thread where we can agree on something)

Comment

Greyhound does not count Eric.
                      lol not even. This is me driving either by myself, or with friends or exes. Soooo many adventures.
                      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Hi I tink in a Dark Ride the Sleeping Beauty is Wonderful with one confrontacion With maleficen convert in a dragon is espledid idea where do you tink

Comment

Gigi, your english is improving a lot. (gigi, tu ingles esta mejorando)

Translation: Hi, I think a Sleeping beauty ride would be wonderful, with one confrontation with maleficent, transformed as the dragon. It would be a wonderful idea, don't you all think so?

Si, gigi.. es una idea muy interesante.

Comment

Originally posted by WDWizard View Post
                            I'm not convinced that the Fantasyland expansion as it stands - glorified Princess meet and greets and a modest dark ride - is a direct counter to Harry (yet.). If WDW management is under the impression that it is, they're more senseless than I thought. They're both fundamentally different and have different audiences. Fantasyland is one of the most stale and unchanging areas of the park, and the large parcel of land where the Sub lagoon used to be was ripe for development.
                            The Fantasyland Expansion (even if it was mostly catered to girls) could've had more appeal if the vast majority of the expansion wasnt just meet and greet areas or activity centers for smaller children. Now I worry because to me, the suits will now become more concerned with leveling the gender appeal field and might completely miss the problems with their original expansion plan all together. So now are they gonna scratch two or three of the Princess areas in favor of boy-centric areas? Because that really doesnt change anything IMO. Regardless of what themes/characters/movies they plan to use instead I can sadly assume that it will still be a meet and greet/activity center/restaraunt/shop area and NOT a new attraction or ride. In fact I'm 80% certain that this will end up being the case no matter what replaces some of the Princess or Fairie areas... (And it will STILL be more preschool friendly and less family friendly). It's coming back to the moneys here people. Disney will likely not invest in an additional REAL attraction to the expansion plan (unless it's Pixar-themed)...in large part due to the insistance to stay in the original budget for the Fantasyland expansion when it was just all Princesses.

This will be quite a shame IMO if Disney ends up screwing this up. It will almost feel like were losing more than gaining.

Comment

DLP is the biggest? That with those compact walkways? I dunno.. TDL seems more expansive to me.. But I honestly don't have actual numbers on park acreage.
                              Yes it is the largest, TDL and TDS is very high on my list to visit though, so don't worry. I need to go back to DLP and be appauled at TSPL, go to WDW and see what all the EE and WWOHP fuss is about, then go to TDS and die a happy man!

As for the plans changing officially, i'll believe stuff when I see it being built.

Comment

thanks TDL

Comment

Working...
                                X