Fantasyland plans changing - officially.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baloo
    • Jun 2005

Re: Fantasyland plans changing - officially.

Originally Posted by article
    Staggs said planners are also reviewing the Fantasyland expansion with an eye toward blending “aspirational rides” — rides that offer thrills or tension — with attractions designed for guests of all ages. And he said they want to ensure that the additions are flexible and can be updated or adapted over time.

the bold section makes me worried, flexible and adaptable could mean more attractions like buzz lightyear, midway mania or an attraction with lots of projections and flats that could be changed easily

Comment

• Baloo
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
      I'm thinking here's what they should do if it's not too late to do it:
      • Lose the castle wall
      • Build Beauty and the Beast and the TLM sections in their planned spots as planned.
      • Relocate the new Dumbo where the Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella areas were supposed to go so that the Dumbo ride is a little more closer to the center of Fantasyland (as it should be).
      • In this way Toontown Fair can be kept where it is without being taken down but if desired can be revamped so they get rid of the Fair aspect and make it more of the Toontown it should be.
      It sounds like the most logical plan if you ask me and probably the most cost efficient for Disney if you think about it.

i like the idea of moving Dumbo to where Cinderella is but with some changes because a circus in the middle of a foresty area for Beauty and the Beast as well as mermaid and pooh would look wierd.

then they could use the previous Dumbo area, toontown fair and the outdated speedway land for a new addition to the park. A land that would help as a transition form fantasyland to tomorrowland.

I knwo most will not like the idea but how about adding an Incredibles area. That movie had several scenes played out in a forest and it would somehow work as a transitonal land between fantasyland and tomorrowland. the land could also be built with future expansion in mind. the side closer to tomorrowland could be used for certain Marvel characters that might fit like Iron man.

lots of rockwork interesting structures and it might just work

Just a thought

Comment

• BANANAZ
        Now with 5% more insanity
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by inluvwithbeast View Post
        I've heard rumors that the additions/replacements won't be any new franchise, but one (or more I guess) of the existing franchises in the expansion. Rumors, but from people with pretty good track records.

Take it how you will.
        Hm... Well even if it isn't Tangled, like I stated before, I doubt that they'll put TSPL in there. There are plenty of existing franchises that will fit much better then Toy Story.
        Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
        Correction, you have poor taste in Disney resorts. You should be going to DLR in CA so you Indiana folks knew what good attractions are like.
        I hate to burst your bubble, TDLFAN, but not all of us can afford to travel to California to DLR. Florida is much closer to the midwest then the west coast, and is therefore cheaper. So for most of us in the midwest, WDW is our home park, and we'll just have to deal with it. Of course, that is unless you desire to fund a trip for us so we can see "what good attractions are like."

Comment

• Grinning Ghost
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2006

Yeah, it's not our fault they built Disneyland on the wrong side of the country!
          temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• KingEric
            is in Antarctica
            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
            Yeah, it's not our fault they built Disneyland on the wrong side of the country!
            I think the real shame is that Walt didn't have the money to buy all the land in California in the first place so he would have never needed to build WDW. Then we would just have Disneyland and the real epcot... the template for the new American City. Walt new that suburbs need a plan a layout, instead of just endless sprawl.
            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• kirbilicious
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Baloo View Post
              And he said they want to ensure that the additions are flexible and can be updated or adapted over time.

the bold section makes me worried, flexible and adaptable could mean more attractions like buzz lightyear, midway mania or an attraction with lots of projections and flats that could be changed easily
              That didn't even occur to me. To me, when something is usually referred to as flexible, it automatically screams cheap.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                Banned User
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
                I hate to burst your bubble, TDLFAN, but not all of us can afford to travel to California to DLR. Florida is much closer to the midwest then the west coast, and is therefore cheaper. So for most of us in the midwest, WDW is our home park, and we'll just have to deal with it. Of course, that is unless you desire to fund a trip for us so we can see "what good attractions are like."
                Hogwash. You are not bursting my bubble because I work in the travel industry and trust me I know when I tell you.. airfare to CA is not all that pricey when compared to FL's. If you do your homework online, you *will* find fares that are just as affordable (and in some cases cheaper!!) than what you would pay to fly to FL. Also consider than the DLR is less expensive to visit than what you'd pay at WDW.. so the money you save visiting DLR over WDW will help you offset some of the added expense of air travel. Or do what everyone else does.. freeload your way on airplanes by becoming a frequent flyer with your favorite airline and apply the credit cards they offer to earn mileage without ever stepping on a plane.. then fly free.

Comment

• jupitertronic
                  秘密のヘルツ
                  • May 2008

I often agree with you, TDLFAN, but you can be one snarky guy.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                    Banned User
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jupitertronic View Post
                    I often agree with you, TDLFAN, but you can be one snarky guy.

Thanks for the compliment.

Comment

• toonaspie
                      Nutty about Disney parks
                      • Aug 2006

Correction, you have poor taste in Disney resorts. You should be going to DLR in CA so you Indiana folks knew what good attractions are like.

You should be dismayed to know that Marvel merchandise has already landed in some shops at ALL Disney resorts, except for Tokyo Disney, which mercifully is not operated by Disney. Iron man is sharing shelf space with Princesses merchandise at HKDL's Fantasyland Princesses shop. Very sad indeed.
                      Nothing at HKDL surprises me anymore. It seems that selling out is the only way this park will be able to stay afloat at this time.

However in the American parks (the most visited in the world) this is ridiculous and completely unacceptable. I've suggested (and others too I think) that Disney should just open a Marvel store in both Downtown Disneys and keep all the Marvel merchandise strictly there. It makes more financial sense too.

And as far as being from Indiana goes......I plan to wait until Carsland opens to make a first timer trip over.

i like the idea of moving Dumbo to where Cinderella is but with some changes because a circus in the middle of a foresty area for Beauty and the Beast as well as mermaid and pooh would look wierd.

then they could use the previous Dumbo area, toontown fair and the outdated speedway land for a new addition to the park. A land that would help as a transition form fantasyland to tomorrowland.
                      Mind you, my plan would indeed result in the destruction of the Fantasyland Forest theme. Sad I know but I'm sure Disney would find a way to make the transitioning work with and without certain areas.
                      Last edited by toonaspie; 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• BANANAZ
                        Now with 5% more insanity
                        • Jul 2009

Hogwash. You are not bursting my bubble because I work in the travel industry and trust me I know when I tell you.. airfare to CA is not all that pricey when compared to FL's. If you do your homework online, you *will* find fares that are just as affordable (and in some cases cheaper!!) than what you would pay to fly to FL. Also consider than the DLR is less expensive to visit than what you'd pay at WDW.. so the money you save visiting DLR over WDW will help you offset some of the added expense of air travel. Or do what everyone else does.. freeload your way on airplanes by becoming a frequent flyer with your favorite airline and apply the credit cards they offer to earn mileage without ever stepping on a plane.. then fly free.
                        I actually wasn't talking about flying. I've only been on a plane once in my life. Yet again, not everyone can afford that. I suppose not everyone takes the vacations I do, so let me explain it.

The way our family does vacations is very cost effective. We drive to Florida, and at night, and we tent camp so that we don't have to stay in expensive hotels all the time. This helps out cost wise as most campgrounds are very cheap and we don't have to spend a lot of money on gas pulling a large RV. This also frees us up to see attractions on the way down there, such as visiting Cumberland Island off of Georgia. Not everyone flies these days, and not everyone has enough frequent flier miles to afford such a trip. Buuut... like I said, if you were kind enough to offer me the experience of flying to California, since I must be such a low class person, then I wouldn't turn it down. ; )

Comment

• Timekeeper
                          The Future is in RED?
                          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                          • Sep 2009

And he said they want to ensure that the additions are flexible and can be updated or adapted over time.

It could also be the Fantasyland 'Carousel Of Progress type' Musical Show Concept, where they switch/swap one scene each year to that new disney animated movie and the song(s) featured in that movie.
                          I argee anyway, what might come Fantasyland's way, might be some bad attraction for it(like another BLAB or TSM) or a new subland that makes no sense to where it is thematically(like Toy Story Land.)

Timekeeper
                          sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                          Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

• PSUMark
                            WDW will always be home.
                            • Jul 2010

Take Yoyo boy to Tokyo DisneySea.. and see how less than marvelous Everest is when compared to Journey to the Center of the Earth.
                            Oh c'mon. Now you're reaching. Not everything is an excuse to bash WDW and talk about how great TDLR is. Everest is a great attraction, and it's a completely different type of attraction than Journey to the Center of the Earth. Don't bash the single laudable addition that WDW has gotten this decade. (Bash the fact that it's broken.)

Now, if you want to talk about how lame Test Track is (yeah, I said it), Journey to the Center of the Earth might be relevant to that discussion...
                            I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                            -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

• Bystander
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
                              The way our family does vacations is very cost effective. We drive to Florida, and at night, and we tent camp so that we don't have to stay in expensive hotels all the time. This helps out cost wise as most campgrounds are very cheap and we don't have to spend a lot of money on gas pulling a large RV. This also frees us up to see attractions on the way down there, such as visiting Cumberland Island off of Georgia.)
                              Ah, well, that could be a problem. You know there are no roads out west. You'll have to come by covered wagon.

Comment

• Disney Romantic
                                Not a Crook
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bystander View Post
                                Ah, well, that could be a problem. You know there are no roads out west. You'll have to come by covered wagon.
                                Mapping from my location in the midwest, I find that Disneyland is over double the distance away in miles that Disney World is. In terms of flying, I guess there could be "ways to be as cheap," but probably not without a ton of hoop jumping. No matter what, though, driving is going to be twice as expensive, take twice as long, and is double the time you get to here "Are we there yet" over and over.

Originally posted by psumark
                                Now, if you want to talk about how lame Test Track is (yeah, I said it), Journey to the Center of the Earth might be relevant to that discussion...
                                I give Test Track a bit of a pass since it was the first attraction using its exact tech. Still, it really is a little lame now compared to Journey or Radiator Springs Racers.
                                Last edited by Disney Romantic; 08-17-2010, 04:00 AM.
                                "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

• Bystander
                                  New MiceChatter
                                  • Jun 2007

I strongly recommend that every American take a road trip through the western states at least once in their life.

Comment

• Grinning Ghost
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2006

I strongly recommend that every American take a road trip through the western states at least once in their life.
                                    Great idea if you can afford it, both financially and in vacation time available. (I figure at least three weeks.)

I've always wanted to do that ever since I saw Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel drive to California in the 1955 Pontiac. While I do have enough vacation time built up, my bank account won't allow it. I don't have the '55 Pontiac either, darn it.
                                    temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

• KingEric
                                      is in Antarctica
                                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                      • Oct 2007

I have done 4 coast to coast trips in my life, and it is the experience of a lifetime.
                                      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2005

Greyhound does not count Eric.

Comment

• WDWizard
                                          Sock Puppet
                                          • Jan 2007

I'm not convinced that the Fantasyland expansion as it stands - glorified Princess meet and greets and a modest dark ride - is a direct counter to Harry (yet.). If WDW management is under the impression that it is, they're more senseless than I thought. They're both fundamentally different and have different audiences. Fantasyland is one of the most stale and unchanging areas of the park, and the large parcel of land where the Sub lagoon used to be was ripe for development.

This quip could hint at them possibly increasing the budget, maybe to include an original big-budget E-ticket. But that's mostly wishful thinking on my part. The most we'll probably see out of them re-visiting the Fantasyland expansion is the addition of a few more dark rides, and less of a focus on princess meet and greets to broaden appeal. Unless they take the challenge that WWoHP could pose to them in the future seriously by giving folks a real reason to come back to Disney World as the masses are likely to shift the focus of their Orlando vacations to Universal with Disney World being an afterthought visited on other days if there's time (whereas it was previously the other way around).

Universal Studios gave us the Disney-MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom was probably created to counter Busch Gardens, so in that tradition it would seem that Disney would respond with another themed attraction that blows the competition out of the water. But major projects planned include the always intended Fantasyland expansion and the long-planned Star Tours sequel - nothing that seems like serious competition in comparison to the groundbreaking Potter attraction. It won't be as simple as imitating the concept and trying to do it better this time around....

EDIT: wait... we're talking about road trips?:c???:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X