This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Pirates of the Caribbean

Does the PotC queue/loading dock at WDW have an "outdoor" area like the Blue Bayou at Disneyland? I know it doesn't have a full scale bayou, but I wasn't sure if the actual load dock has a "night sky" above it.

Thanks

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

Originally posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    Does the PotC queue/loading dock at WDW have an "outdoor" area like the Blue Bayou at Disneyland? I know it doesn't have a full scale bayou, but I wasn't sure if the actual load dock has a "night sky" above it.

Thanks
    Unless my memory is completely failing me in this case, it doesn't. It continues the dungeon'esque theme of the rest of the queue I believe.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

No outdoor part. Sorry.

Comment

It's "Outdoors" But all there is is black ceiling. No stars.
        DisneyTwins
        Since May 2003

Comment

Yup. Perhaps in a future update we'll get stars, but as of right now, it's just black ceiling.

(Fiber optic stars would be awesome... but so expensive...)

Comment

You also can clearly see the observation booth overhead, which is not hidden at all. Probably the worst part of the attraction, really, but kind of entertaining in its own right.
            "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

Hmm. PotC is my dad's favorite ride and when I told him that WDW's version is pretty much a "cut" version of the ride he was sad :P

Also, thanks for answering my question, I wasn't sure! But I am now ;D

ooh, and I amaze myself with how many emoticons I use...its disturbing

Comment

Thanks
                It doesn't, actually. I think the implication is that you are inside a 17th century Spanish fortress in the Caribbean. The whole of the Caribbean Plaza sub-land was built to thematically house Pirates, with the Plaza representing a Caribbean town, the Pirates building queue representing its fort (El Castillo del Morro, I think it's called), and the ride being one's adventures from the fort. So the queue is just part of the overall storyline. That's just my interpretation though. You can read more about it here if you're interested.

Funny story - first time I rode Disneyland's Pirates, it was nighttime, and we walked through the queue pretty quickly because Fantasmic was playing. When we got to the nighttime part of the queue, I was convinced we had just gone back outside. Then I saw a Mickey Mouse balloon stuck on the ceiling, and I felt pretty disoriented.

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
                Yup. Perhaps in a future update we'll get stars, but as of right now, it's just black ceiling.

(Fiber optic stars would be awesome... but so expensive...)
                Actually, for decades the Imagineers have actively AVOIDED putting stars or other props on the ceiling for their more advanced dark rides. The thinking is that as long as the ceiling is solid black/deep blue, then you won't be able to pick out a spot on the ceiling and identify its distance. If they were to put fiber-optic stars on the ceiling, then in theory, you would be able to see the individual stars and realize they were actually nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                  It doesn't, actually. I think the implication is that you are inside a 17th century Spanish fortress in the Caribbean. The whole of the Caribbean Plaza sub-land was built to thematically house Pirates, with the Plaza representing a Caribbean town, the Pirates building queue representing its fort (El Castillo del Morro, I think it's called), and the ride being one's adventures from the fort. So the queue is just part of the overall storyline. That's just my interpretation though. You can read more about it here if you're interested.

Funny story - first time I rode Disneyland's Pirates, it was nighttime, and we walked through the queue pretty quickly because Fantasmic was playing. When we got to the nighttime part of the queue, I was convinced we had just gone back outside. Then I saw a Mickey Mouse balloon stuck on the ceiling, and I felt pretty disoriented.

Actually, for decades the Imagineers have actively AVOIDED putting stars or other props on the ceiling for their more advanced dark rides. The thinking is that as long as the ceiling is solid black/deep blue, then you won't be able to pick out a spot on the ceiling and identify its distance. If they were to put fiber-optic stars on the ceiling, then in theory, you would be able to see the individual stars and realize they were actually nearby.
                  Wow! That article is awesome

Comment

Hmm... I've never felt that way at any of the Rainforest Cafe's that feature fiber optic night skies, but maybe because that's the foliage that they have all over the ceiling. And yes, I have been to different ones in many cities, just because I love going to them. <3

Comment

Worst part of the WDW Pirates is the lack of the waterfall drops. I know they were not needed in the WDW as far as the building showroom was concerned but I think it is such a missing element of the ride!
                      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I agree. The one that they have now isn't even big.
                        DisneyTwins
                        Since May 2003

Comment

I was reading the Pirates article from MarkTwain's comments - and it just was so fascinating! I have been going on the POTC attraction for so many years and now I "get" it! It also linked to really interesting Haunted Mansion articles as well. Thank you MarkTwain for opening my eyes to such immersive and interesting WDW info!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
                            Worst part of the WDW Pirates is the lack of the waterfall drops. I know they were not needed in the WDW as far as the building showroom was concerned but I think it is such a missing element of the ride!
                            This thread touches a nerve for me. WDW version of Pirates is inferior in so many ways to Disneyland's, it's not even funny. You say the worst part is the lack of drops? Maybe, I don't know if I could pick a "worst", but that's definitely high on the list. Also way up there is the lack of:

Blue Bayou/
                            boats going around restaurant
                            starry sky
                            fire flies
                            Old man sitting on his porch
                            room with pirate skeleton in his bed surrounded by treasure
                            room with pirate skeleton pouring liquor down his throat
                            Chair looking precarious over your head as boat passes under it
                            Pirates leaning over cannons, shooting each other, you pass through you
                            feel like they are shooting at you

What am I forgetting? Sorry if I have any of this wrong, it's been a while

Anyhoo, the entire beginning of the ride is so filled with detail and nuance, as to very slowly immerse you in the pirate world, as though you were going back in time, until at last you see the real pirates. WDW has boring empty cave, lame drop, and a fraction of the rest of the ride. Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                              This thread touches a nerve for me. WDW version of Pirates is inferior in so many ways to Disneyland's, it's not even funny. You say the worst part is the lack of drops? Maybe, I don't know if I could pick a "worst", but that's definitely high on the list. Also way up there is the lack of:

Blue Bayou/
                              boats going around restaurant
                              starry sky
                              fire flies
                              Old man sitting on his porch
                              room with pirate skeleton in his bed surrounded by treasure
                              Chair looking precarious over your head as boat passes under it
                              Pirates leaning over cannons, shooting each other, you pass through you
                              feel like they are shooting at you

Anyhoo, the entire beginning of the ride is so filled with detail and nuance, as to very slowly immerse you in the pirate world, as though you were going back in time, until at last you see the real pirates. WDW has boring empty cave, lame drop, and a fraction of the rest of the ride. Ugh!
                              You're forgetting one of my favorite parts of the DL ride: Jolly Roger!

"Pssst... Avast there! It be to late to alter course mateys. There be pirates lurking at every cove...waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board, That be the way to repel borders. And mark well me words mateys, Dead me tell no tales.....heheheheh.

Ye come seekin' adventure in salty old pirates ay? Sure you come to the proper place, but keep a weather eye open mates and hold on tight...with both hand if you please. There be squalls ahead.... and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey...."

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoom View Post
                                You're forgetting one of my favorite parts of the DL ride: Jolly Roger!

"Pssst... Avast there! It be to late to alter course mateys. There be pirates lurking at every cove...waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board, That be the way to repel borders. And mark well me words mateys, Dead me tell no tales.....heheheheh.

Ye come seekin' adventure in salty old pirates ay? Sure you come to the proper place, but keep a weather eye open mates and hold on tight...with both hand if you please. There be squalls ahead.... and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey...."
                                They used to have it at WDW, but it was not as elaborate as the DL version. Just a skull with a bandana and crossbones. No fancy hat, red swag backing or swords. Just the skull and crossbones mounted to the wall of the tunnel you're about to enter.

Here he is in July 1978:

Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM. Reason: Add Photo
                                temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Hmm. PotC is my dad's favorite ride and when I told him that WDW's version is pretty much a "cut" version of the ride he was sad :P
                                  But the queue at WDW Pirates is awesome. I love deciding whether to go in the right or left queue.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                                    That scene also has the painting above the bar of the Redhead after she's been with the pirates for a while.

A bientot.
                                    Remember
                                    What the dormouse said
                                    Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

My favorite part of the Disneyland version are all the elaborate caves and waterfalls, with the skeleton dioramas--it just feels so... adventurous. The Walt Disney World version was very disappointing, but it did make me appreciate the atmosphere and wonder of the DL version alot more. I do enjoy the MK's queue however, then again, the Disneyland versions line is much shorter than the MK so it doesn't need the elaborate queue, and I still enjoy the way it breezes past the returning boats, into the distinctly smelling lagoon.

Comment

I was pissed when they closed and revamped the WDW version to include the movie and Johnny Depp's character. In the beginning there were a few scenes with dead pirate skeletons on a beach with treasure and such and before you went into the cave a skeleton hung before your head as you went down a small waterfall that said with an echo, "Dead Men Tell No Tales." When I went right after they redid the ride, all that was gone and instead we got to look at fake ugly rock walls that led to a fake waterfall effect of Davy Jones talking to you. Pretty lame and useless.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X