X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

Lovely article, at one point it says:

'Arriving at the central Pirate's Cove area where the ships for the Castillo are built, spectators are loaded into escape boats which launch into a secret exit hidden in the hillside the fortress is built into (this idea is garnered from real Spanish fortresses). Just as the boats slip into darkness we pass the Moonlight Bay scene, where the threatening pirate ship may be dimly seen out in the water.'

So, the load area is indeed 'outside' at a dock, there is also a cave along the right queue, further enforcing the idea that you are just outside the Castillo del Morro.
    someday, when we are wiser,
    when the world's older,
    when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
    - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
      I was pissed when they closed and revamped the WDW version to include the movie and Johnny Depp's character. In the beginning there were a few scenes with dead pirate skeletons on a beach with treasure and such and before you went into the cave a skeleton hung before your head as you went down a small waterfall that said with an echo, "Dead Men Tell No Tales." When I went right after they redid the ride, all that was gone and instead we got to look at fake ugly rock walls that led to a fake waterfall effect of Davy Jones talking to you. Pretty lame and useless.
      They did away with the skeletons on the beach? Why?
      temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
        They did away with the skeletons on the beach? Why?
        They didn't they are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by HMF View Post
          They didn't they are still there.
          Then what is Timon'sGirl talking about???

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoom View Post
            You're forgetting one of my favorite parts of the DL ride: Jolly Roger!

"Pssst... Avast there! It be to late to alter course mateys. There be pirates lurking at every cove...waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board, That be the way to repel borders. And mark well me words mateys, Dead me tell no tales.....heheheheh.

Ye come seekin' adventure in salty old pirates ay? Sure you come to the proper place, but keep a weather eye open mates and hold on tight...with both hand if you please. There be squalls ahead.... and Davy Jones waiting for them what don't obey...."
            Oh, sweet memories of Disneyland Pirates!

Originally posted by ralfrick View Post
            That scene also has the painting above the bar of the Redhead after she's been with the pirates for a while.

A bientot.
            Really? I'm always so fascinated by the liquor-swallowing skeleton, I never noticed that!

***Conspires how to ditch husband and kids for quick flight to CA and get a proper Pirates fix***

Comment

I think if your going to copy a ride then copy a ride! But I do like WDW Queue!
              BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

They used to have it at WDW, but it was not as elaborate as the DL version. Just a skull with a bandana and crossbones. No fancy hat, red swag backing or swords. Just the skull and crossbones mounted to the wall of the tunnel you're about to enter.

Here he is in July 1978:

Thanks for posting this. We do miss this little guy. Every single time.

Comment

I miss old skull and bones too he got axed for that davey jones BS

Comment

Originally posted by mansionman View Post
                    I miss old skull and bones too he got axed for that davey jones BS
                    Yep. I suppose we should be grateful the ride didn't get anymore butchered than it did. Though it seemed to me that Disneyland added Jack Sparrow without taking anything out. Feel free to correct me!

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                      Yep. I suppose we should be grateful the ride didn't get anymore butchered than it did. Though it seemed to me that Disneyland added Jack Sparrow without taking anything out. Feel free to correct me!
                      I was at DL 2 weeks ago and i think your right.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                        The girl in the barrell is gone, replaced by Jack.

Gone also are the two guys pushing the big bag of treasure at the end.

Not sure about the well scene. They may have simply added him there.

Comment

The girl in the barrell is gone, replaced by Jack.

Gone also are the two guys pushing the big bag of treasure at the end.

Not sure about the well scene. They may have simply added him there.
                          Ah yes... I hadn't been on the pre-refurb version of that ride in so long I couldn't remember what was missing

Comment

WDW was all ready and abbreviated version of the ride and they still axed the treasure room scene to put jack there.

Comment

^huh? Jack is in the treasure room, he did not replace it. It's still there, though difference then it was before his appearance.

Also, no idea what Timon Girl was saying, as those scenes are still there.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kidgenie;1056220510]^huh? Jack is in the treasure room, he did not replace it. It's still there, though difference then it was before his appearance.
                                Its still there are you kidding the final scene the(treasure room) the unique ending to the WDW version put there by Marc Davis himself
                                gone are
                                the white bearded piarte-removed the drunk pirates removed the parrot singing the yo ho song removed pirates shooting there guns removed the tied up guy or guys removed in fact all the other audio animatronics removed. But your right jacks sitting there with the booty doing nothing.This was unforgivable

Comment

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
                                  ^huh? Jack is in the treasure room, he did not replace it. It's still there, though difference then it was before his appearance.
                                  Originally posted by mansionman View Post
                                  Its still there are you kidding the final scene the(treasure room) the unique ending to the WDW version put there by Marc Davis himself
                                  gone are
                                  the white bearded piarte-removed the drunk pirates removed the parrot singing the yo ho song removed pirates shooting there guns removed the tied up guy or guys removed in fact all the other audio animatronics removed. But your right jacks sitting there with the booty doing nothing.This was unforgivable
                                  I'm pretty sure that the parrot is still there, sitting on top of something (an open treasure chest?) to Jack's left. Jack is talking to it, with occasional outbursts of "Yo Ho". At least that's the final scene of at least one version. Not sure if the video I saw showing this was at DL or WDW.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the parrot is still there, sitting on top of something (an open treasure chest?) to Jack's left. Jack is talking to it, with occasional outbursts of "Yo Ho". At least that's the final scene of at least one version. Not sure if the video I saw showing this was at DL or WDW.
                                    Thanks for correcting it may well be WDW but parrot or no parrot this was one class A hatchet job.

Comment

I think the whole ending is a complete letdown. I like the large set with Jack, etc, but there's no transition between that last scene and disembarking. Part of the magic at DL's version is two things ~ the "thrill" of going up a waterfall and leaving the pirates behind as you cruise back to modern civilization.

I realize those waterfalls are essential for getting under the train tracks and outside the berm, but WED did a real disservice in not doing the same (or at least creating the waterfalls) for the MK version. From what I've read, they didn't put it in originally because of the close proximity of the Caribbean to FLA. It was thought that Floridians wouldn't care to see an attraction of a place they could get to fairly easily. When enough people asked for it, they put it together so hastily that they left out a lot of the charm from the DL version. TOO BAD!

Comment

They put in a "best of" version at WDW, correcting a few flaws from the original, and keeping it cheap having fewer scenes to build.

Comment

They put in a "best of" version at WDW, correcting a few flaws from the original, and keeping it cheap having fewer scenes to build.
                                          Thats right! I just got a used copy of the Jason Surrell pirates book and it seems Marc Davis had big plans for WDW show.(Quote) lets at least top pirates with pirates Marc reasoned but it was not to be.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X