X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mansionman
    replied
    Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

Tellen ya go read al lutz on why johnny depps considered a parmanent pirate 9/15 (quote) And like it or not theres now an entire generation of disneyland fans that equate pirates of the caribbean exclusively withjack sparrow and davey jones rather then 1960s imagineers marc davis and X atencio.Well I dont like it AL and its sad but true

Leave a comment:

• mansionman
    replied

PEOPLE read the new Al lutz Ask the columnist on micechat round up He has some hard cold facts on pirates and jack sparrow animatronicshe also talks about DL receiveing a far superior version of the update.showing DL allowed WDI to go full-tilt on upgrades compared to the smaller and lower expectations of WDW management. This is what i been crying about and theres much more.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro825
    replied

Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    The only thing missing from that scene now is logic.

BEFORE: The pirates were dunking Carlos to try to get him to reveal the location of the treasure. Valiantly, he resisted, protecting his town's assets.

NOW: The pirates are dunking Carlos to try to get him to reveal the location of Jack Sparrow. For some reason, he resists even though Sparrow is ALSO trying to steal the town's treasure. Lacking any additional information about Sparrow tricking the mayor into trusting him or something, this scene just makes no sense at all now.
    So true!!! It doesnt make sense at all. I remember thinking "Why would he be protecting a pirate that is also trying to rob them??" I think had they left the scene as is, it still wouldve made sense. Jack is listening in as they dunk the mayor so he gets the info of the location of the treasure without actually having to do any of the messy work himself.

Leave a comment:

• lily23
    replied

^ Wow, that sounds really cool, actually

Leave a comment:

• Timon
    replied

Disneyland Paris: You board your boat in a tropical Blue Lagoon at night and sail past the "outdoor" Blue Lagoon restaurant and through the broken hulk of an old pirate ship. Large medieval gear works pull your boat up into the fort which is flooded by a broken aqueduct because of the current battle. In the fort you see the silhouettes of two people sword fighting and a fantastic view looking down at the ship. Then down the waterfall and past the ship you just saw, then roughly the same until a final small drop from the gun powder room. The drop is covered by a flash/explosion and you finish out the ride in the skeleton pirate caves and back to the Blue Lagoon to unload. If your are lucky you may see two animatronic pirates sword fighting, they are often behind a curtain for repairs but are awesome when they work. The blades used to really clank together. (mid 90's)

Oops! Sometimes this happens, too!

WDW: There is a boat lift/ramp (no theming) after the unload dock but no one is allowed to ride up to the loading area. I miss the barker bird. I wish it was moved into the queue area to make it a little more interesting, like wise, the two treasure pirates somehow worked into the jail.
    Last edited by Timon; 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mansionman
    replied

[QUOTE=lily23;1056230140]

I did think they did a reasonable job of not completely ruining the ride, given that they were hell bent on adding Jack Sparrow, it could have been worse...
    Yep.They were adding jack like it or not but in the case of the FLA ride Why.O Why subtract any thing from a abbreviated attraction.

Leave a comment:

• flotsam_mike
    replied

^
    I haven't either this is all according to the surrell book. THe lift is incorporated at the beginning of the ride. It is worked into the story that your barge is being pulled into the fort for supplies. I haven't ridden it so I don't know how well this story line works.

Leave a comment:

• lily23
    replied

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    Its interesting that people are including this in their "likes".

According to the Surrell book, imagineering seemed to think of this as a failure - that they couldn't incorporate the uphill climb into the story better. That lead to the better incorporation of the lift hill into the story on DLPs version.
    No kidding! Haven't been to DLP, how is it "incoroporated better"?

Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post

BEFORE: The pirates were dunking Carlos to try to get him to reveal the location of the treasure. Valiantly, he resisted, protecting his town's assets.

NOW: The pirates are dunking Carlos to try to get him to reveal the location of Jack Sparrow. For some reason, he resists even though Sparrow is ALSO trying to steal the town's treasure. Lacking any additional information about Sparrow tricking the mayor into trusting him or something, this scene just makes no sense at all now.
    Yep. And while we're ranting here, I never appreciated the Politicly Correct "fix" they made to the scene where the pirates chase the women. Right after the bridal auction, it used to be two scenes of pirates chasing the women, followed by one scene of the matronly woman chasing the pirate with a broomstick. The two scenes of pirates chasing women were replaced by two holding treasure, and something else (I forget what), but it kind of ruins the gag. And now Jack Sparrow sitting there talking distracts from the gag even more. I am a woman and I was never offended by that scene, it was so stupid to ruin it.

I wonder if someday a "purist revival" could come along and restore some of these attractions former glory. Those Pirates movies with Johnny Depp will be out of be out of American consciousness soon, if not already, and the damage done by those changes will be even more apparent.

I did think they did a reasonable job of not completely ruining the ride, given that they were hell bent on adding Jack Sparrow, it could have been worse...

Though if I may add one more Pet Peeve, it seems that there is no longer enough of the "pirates life for me" song

Leave a comment:

• clockworkmonkey
    replied

Originally posted by Zorro825 View Post
    The girl in the barrel had been replaced long ago. It was a cat before Jack took over.
    I think you may be right about the well scene. I dont remember anything missing out of that scene

Leave a comment:

• flotsam_mike
    replied

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes and yes. I forgot to put the "thrill of going up a waterfall and leaving the pirates behind as you cruise back to modern civilization" on my earlier list/rant of things missing from WDW version
    Its interesting that people are including this in their "likes".

According to the Surrell book, imagineering seemed to think of this as a failure - that they couldn't incorporate the uphill climb into the story better. That lead to the better incorporation of the lift hill into the story on DLPs version.

Leave a comment:

• lily23
    replied

Originally posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    I think the whole ending is a complete letdown. I like the large set with Jack, etc, but there's no transition between that last scene and disembarking. Part of the magic at DL's version is two things ~ the "thrill" of going up a waterfall and leaving the pirates behind as you cruise back to modern civilization.

I realize those waterfalls are essential for getting under the train tracks and outside the berm, but WED did a real disservice in not doing the same (or at least creating the waterfalls) for the MK version. From what I've read, they didn't put it in originally because of the close proximity of the Caribbean to FLA. It was thought that Floridians wouldn't care to see an attraction of a place they could get to fairly easily. When enough people asked for it, they put it together so hastily that they left out a lot of the charm from the DL version. TOO BAD!
    Yes, yes, yes and yes. I forgot to put the "thrill of going up a waterfall and leaving the pirates behind as you cruise back to modern civilization" on my earlier list/rant of things missing from WDW version

Leave a comment:

• mansionman
    replied

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post

Sure there are things I miss that have been removed over the years but I think going as far as saying its horrendous and disappointing is a little extreme.
    I also grew up on the shorter Florida version and thats maybe why I seam a little protative of it. The thing I hate the most was the butchered treasure room grand finale just to put johnny depp in there is well a sin. DL still has its arsenal final show scene with johnny right after plus the talking skull was removed for no good reason but at DL he is still there talking away.The barker parrot was outside the attraction but he had to go to and why! The team of imagineersfor WDW pirates who ever they are said we know better this stuff does not fit in with our new theme and yeah iknow they had a job to do put johnny depp all over the ride. So look I know its been like four years now but one things for sure Imagineering giveth and Imagineering taketh away.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

For me the difference between the two is more than just any one scene - it's the difference in the atmosphere in the way they bring you into the ride and then bring you back out. In DL you float slowly around the Blue Bayou, enjoy the old man at the cabin, then go down a waterfall for the first of the scenic caves scenes. Then ANOTHER waterfall, and then the attraction really starts. And of course at the end you go UP a waterfall and float past the queue before disembarking.

At WDW you leave the dock and you are immediately into the ride. And the same at the end - you see the last scene, then you get off the boat. It's always left me wanting more, while on the DL version you really feel like you had a complete experience.

Leave a comment:

• SummerInFL
    replied

I gotta say that while I think DL is the best of the two, I grew up on the FL version and it suited me just fine. I think if people go into the ride without preconceived notions and just enjoy it for what it is, its a great attraction. I'll bet if you ask a person whose never ridden either that they will give a far different opinion upon exiting the attraction. One can argue that the person might not know any better but in the grand scheme of things I think if the person had a good time we still win right?

Sure there are things I miss that have been removed over the years but I think going as far as saying its horrendous and disappointing is a little extreme.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro825
    replied

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    The girl in the barrell is gone, replaced by Jack.

Gone also are the two guys pushing the big bag of treasure at the end.

Not sure about the well scene. They may have simply added him there.
    The girl in the barrel had been replaced long ago. It was a cat before Jack took over.
    I think you may be right about the well scene. I dont remember anything missing out of that scene

Leave a comment:

• mansionman
    replied

They put in a "best of" version at WDW, correcting a few flaws from the original, and keeping it cheap having fewer scenes to build.
    Thats right! I just got a used copy of the Jason Surrell pirates book and it seems Marc Davis had big plans for WDW show.(Quote) lets at least top pirates with pirates Marc reasoned but it was not to be.

Leave a comment:

• Grinning Ghost
    replied

They put in a "best of" version at WDW, correcting a few flaws from the original, and keeping it cheap having fewer scenes to build.

Leave a comment:

• Neverlandtink
    replied

I think the whole ending is a complete letdown. I like the large set with Jack, etc, but there's no transition between that last scene and disembarking. Part of the magic at DL's version is two things ~ the "thrill" of going up a waterfall and leaving the pirates behind as you cruise back to modern civilization.

I realize those waterfalls are essential for getting under the train tracks and outside the berm, but WED did a real disservice in not doing the same (or at least creating the waterfalls) for the MK version. From what I've read, they didn't put it in originally because of the close proximity of the Caribbean to FLA. It was thought that Floridians wouldn't care to see an attraction of a place they could get to fairly easily. When enough people asked for it, they put it together so hastily that they left out a lot of the charm from the DL version. TOO BAD!

Leave a comment:

• mansionman
    replied

I'm pretty sure that the parrot is still there, sitting on top of something (an open treasure chest?) to Jack's left. Jack is talking to it, with occasional outbursts of "Yo Ho". At least that's the final scene of at least one version. Not sure if the video I saw showing this was at DL or WDW.
    Thanks for correcting it may well be WDW but parrot or no parrot this was one class A hatchet job.

Leave a comment:

• Grinning Ghost
    replied

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
    ^huh? Jack is in the treasure room, he did not replace it. It's still there, though difference then it was before his appearance.
    Originally posted by mansionman View Post
    Its still there are you kidding the final scene the(treasure room) the unique ending to the WDW version put there by Marc Davis himself
    gone are
    the white bearded piarte-removed the drunk pirates removed the parrot singing the yo ho song removed pirates shooting there guns removed the tied up guy or guys removed in fact all the other audio animatronics removed. But your right jacks sitting there with the booty doing nothing.This was unforgivable
    I'm pretty sure that the parrot is still there, sitting on top of something (an open treasure chest?) to Jack's left. Jack is talking to it, with occasional outbursts of "Yo Ho". At least that's the final scene of at least one version. Not sure if the video I saw showing this was at DL or WDW.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X