Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Evening at DHS (w/ a dozen cell pics)

Hi all!
    TDLFAN reporting from Disney's Hollywood Studios.

TDLFAN (the poster everyone :love:s to :thumbdown) went on an impromptu "quality control" walk at Disney's Hollywood Studios for a few hours this past afternoon, tuesday the 17th. It was a lovely afternoon and perfect to be out and about... and having just found out that WDW's Nightasmic! promotion had ended on aug 14th, I ventured into the Eisner Studios FL to see if I could still catch a glimpse of the overlay made for TOT during the summer time.

Lo and behold, I was 12 hours late. The TOT overlay came down the previous night (which probably means the P&PP pyro show at the MK is also finsihed, and Disney's Electrical parade is back in DCA.. or so many of you wish ). But, fear not, as some of the overlay effects and drop sequence appear to be here for some time. So I got to enjoy that. Now... being an APer and not having access to Fastpass by the late afternoon hours, I arrived quickly at TOT to find a 30 mins wait time posted for the Stand By line. I guess I got lucky as the actual wait time was only 22 mins, maybe because the Beauty and the Beasty Boy Show had not let out anyone yet? So got lucky. It gave me the chance to re-aquaint myself with the lovely woodsy area of the queue out front by the tower, which IMHO.. I believe is the best introduction to ANY of the other TOTs in operation in the rest of the world. One negative comment only here...and it would not be a TDLFAN trip report if all was gloriously positive.. but today at 6pm, it was in the 90s, hot and humid and with no breeze to cool us off. Being enclosed in the flora that is the TOT queue, was to say the least a bit .. uncomfortable. We were all sweating like a good ____ down by ____ _____ trail. It occured to me that maybe a few fans or water mist would not be a bad idea...assuming it's done nicely and in a non-intrusive way to the theme of the queue. Check us out in queue...
    ...and notice there is no fog effect on. Hmmmm.

Oh well... we went on the ride and loved every other second of it, especially the faster drop sequence, and the rumbling of .. thunder in the boiler room.

After TOT, around 7pm... this is what the Fantasmic! queue looked like 2 hours before the show.. Bless my heart, just like TDL. Amazing they have not put Fastpass here, just like the do at DCA for World of Color.
    Since I have seen this version of F! several times and frankly, prefer the DL version 20 times more over this one.. I skipped. (EDIT NOTE: I actually went back at 8:45pm to see if by any chance, they were still letting guests in for the 9pm show) but as expected, the 9pm show was full and some dumbfounded guests were there asking questions... I was glad to see several managers out there explaining to guests that for this show, they had to be there early, and they were also apologetic and reminding guests that another show would play at 10:30pm... Kudos. I like it when the managers have the task of facing guests who are less than pleased, even if them guests should have known better.)

Moving on... I went into the shops in Sunset Blvd. Much to my pleasant surprise, the location of the former "design your watch" counter is gone and some walls were knocked down. the theming in the shop has been refreshed and with some walls gone, the store looks much more spacious and airy. Below of the former location of the watch and clock counter...

....And this is what the shop looks like now. Very nice.

On the negative side... The Legends of Hollywood store, which has been a dedicated Pooh store for some time, now features a HUGE selection of marvel merchandise. It took me by surprise to see so much Marvel stuff there. I felt like I had gone from DHS and out of the Spiderman ride, magically traveling through a portal that transported me to Islands of Adventures, just like that *snap!*. I ran out of there as fast as a ____ from the ____ of a _____ in a drive-in theater.
    (EDIT NOTE: Next door, The Planet Hollywood shop seems to be giving away a lot of merchandise at 'buy 1 get another one for 50% off or free'. If there is a God, this old albatross will be liquidated out of business and out of Disney as fast as you can say "McDonald's".

Moving on... with the imminent closure of Star Tours, I decided to again, bite into the proverbial bullet and do the stand by line for the ride, which was posted at 20 mins. It actually was 10 minutes. (TWO! good stand by experiences today, kudos) I had a most interesting chat with the guest behind me, who was taking all sorts of pictures in the queue. He apologized for the flash going off in my face.. I said to him.. "oh please, take all the pictures you'd like, they are closing this ride on sept 8th you know.." He gasped! And was surprised to find out about this. I explained there will be a new version of the ride based on the newer Star Wars movies around 2012. Then it occured to me... how much of this ride will they change? Will the nice Ewoks Village out front be replaced with newer sets? how about the indoor queue?
    <--- It would blend well in DAK.

I finally got on the ride and immediately was horrified as to the condition of the starspeeder simulator. Only Southwest B737s look worst than this. For one.. the cabin was not all that clean, trash over the floors, and worst, the screen that drops down to reveal the movie looked so badly damaged that it honestly looked like it had horrible mildew on it. I think they were more like oil stains from the mechanism, but still.. it was bad bad bad show. The gal CM said her customary "may the force be with you because I won't be.." spiel. But she sounded more robotic than PeeWee in front of us. Acting classes please or an energy pill?

Its been a while since I rode Star Tours.. and it's always nice to see the Inner Space ride prop from DL on the film (yes folks TDLFAN rode that back in the mid 80s before it closed, he is that old!), but I have to say, the thrill is most definitely gone. There was hardly any audience reaction to the film and motion as once there was. The film looked old and the sound was just not as good quality as I remembered it. It definitely needs to go... considering what's coming may or may not be better.. since the later films were not that popular in the first place. We can only hope.. but this may have been my last flight to the moon of Endor.. BTW... this was the most though-after souvenir last week, the one that some guests waited close to an hour to get, when the local Star Wars convention was in town. I only waited 5 minutes to get mine: the final flight popcorn bucket.

Lovely, eh?

After all that excitement, I sat down at the Pizza Planet for pizza, salad and drink, with apple slices. Yum. Then I came upon this:
    Who knew there was upstairs sitting area in this location? After all these years, I never knew that!!! Maybe I never paid attention because for me to go in there, it's like being at Chuck E. Cheese Pizza outlets, which I avoid like the plague. They even had restrooms up there. Who knew? Then I thought.. they should move this restaurant closer to the Toy Story Mania ride (which is currently closed for refurbishing) and then this place would not feel so out of place next to the Muppets. In regards to the TSM ride.. NO, they are NOT taking out Fastpass during the refurbishing and it was rumored before. Drats.

Then there is this fellow. So lovable. But his name is funny to me.. like that of that pimp on that TV show Starsky & Hutch?

Further down NY Avenue.. which was a ghost town by this time, I caught a glimpse of the Motors Crash! marquee at night. I like the neon lights, and I never noticed before how colorful the marquee is at night, maybe because the only time I find myself in NY street at night is when they have the Osborne lights and besides, I don't want to be mugged.

Before leaving the NY/TSM area.. I have to say that I like how Pixar Play street looks like at night. The twinkling blue lights on the street add that little touch of fun that is so Disney like. One question.. is the AA Pixar lamp still in operation or has that been removed already? I am yet to see this prop doing it's thing.

Now... as I am headed out of the studios.. I stopped at some of the shops, and what would a TDLFAN report be without a little shopping?

"A better trip report!!!"

Who said that????

Anyways... This tee caught my attention. Stylish design, with the DHS logo and added "established in 1989" slogan. H'uh? I thought that was the Disney/MGM studios theme park that opened back then! But TDLFAN liked the Tee; nice.

And look who we found!!!! It's a YoYo Flamingo pin!
    Sorry, I did not see a NeverNeverland pin anywhere

On the way out, the lovely Studio gate at the Animation Courtyard looked nice..

But this fellas... have got to GO!!!

Ok... here's the proverbial last look down Hollywood Blvd before leaving the park. I have to say.. I just love the night time atmosphere here. I enjoy the neon signs and the overall vibe. If only that hat was out of the way so we could see the Chinese Theater... Oh well.

Ok folks... this is a small preview of what Disney California Adventures will look like circa 2012... lovely, don't you think?

Finally, what would a TDLFAN trip report be without a plug for Disney's greatest 2nd gate ever built? Tokyo DisneySEA.
    Yes, pack your bags.. and go to Tokyo a year from now and see the new Fantasmic! OLC-style.
    I am so predictable... hehehe.

And that concludes the trip report. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM. Reason: Spelling, spelling and more spelling.

Re: Evening at DHS (w/ a dozen cell pics)

Fabulous report! Thanks for posting it I really enjoyed it.
    Motor Mania!:yea:

Comment

Thanks, but it ha been revised so read it again. hehehe.
      And if you enjoyed this one.. I also have three other photo trip reports going at this time.. in the DLR, TDR and HKDLR sections... Check them out! (that was a shameless plug)

Comment

Good read. Thanks for posting. I actually enjoy reading both the positive and the negative comments. It gives a full picture of what is going on at WDW.
        Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

We found that upstairs pizza place back in 2005 or so... and love it. Also a tremendous place to wait out a storm. Air conditioned, food, bathrooms, entertainment all under one roof.
          Kevin Yee
          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
          Mouse Trap
          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Thanks for the TR! I'm glad you had a good time.

Comment

Nice to see some positivity, heh. Good trip report, glad to hear they might be keeping the really good single drop sequence for a while.
              "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

As always, love your TR's TDL, it's nice to read what's going on at DHS, its usually the least talked about location.

Take care.

Comment

Wow missed you again, I was there last night with my family, we must have missed you when we ducked into the tuned in lounge around 7pm to cool off before dinner at 50's Prime time. :ap:

The parks have been rather crowded all week, not looking like it will thin out till middle of next week from the projections so yes you where lucky to only wait 22 mins for ToT.
                  Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                    The parks have been rather crowded all week, not looking like it will thin out till middle of next week from the projections so yes you where lucky to only wait 22 mins for ToT.
                    Oh Too bad I missed you. I would have been easy to identify... black Angry Mickey tee from HKDL with DLP hat.
                    As for the crowds... yes, it was busy, which was reason why I found it surprising that Nightasmic! ended on the 14th, especially since the current Times and Information flyer has the Nightasmic! logo/pic on the cover and cover the Aug 1st thru 28th dates.

Comment

Sounds like you had a nice time TDLFan! I never knew there was a second floor either, but then again I have only tried to eat there once and it was to busy for my liking. How much is that popcorn bucket? I might send M to get me one LoL!

And no need for the TDR plug, you know we will be there next fall to enjoy the greatest Disney parks on earth!!

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
                      We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
                      Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

Sounds like fun Travis.. maybe we can have a WDW Micechatter meet at TDR.

The last Tour bucket was $4.50 plus tax.

Comment

I kept scrolling down waiting for a pic of the GMR's neon condition How is it?
                          Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                            Hi all!

Then there is this fellow. So lovable. But his name is funny to me.. like that of that pimp on that TV show Starsky & Hutch?

Great report. This made me chuckle. I never put that together myself.

Comment

You were not born yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post
                                I kept scrolling down waiting for a pic of the GMR's neon condition How is it?
                                You know.. that big *** hat blocks the building. so I never saw it. Sorry.

Comment

I ventured into the Eisner Studios FL
                                  Haha, clever and true.

Since I have seen this version of F! several times and frankly, prefer the DL version 20 times more over this one..
                                  DEFINITELY true.

On the negative side... The Legends of Hollywood store, which has been a dedicated Pooh store for some time, now features a HUGE selection of marvel merchandise. It took me by surprise to see so much Marvel stuff there. I felt like I had gone from DHS and out of the Spiderman ride, magically traveling through a portal that transported me to Islands of Adventures, just like that *snap!*. I ran out of there as fast as a ____ from the ____ of a _____ in a drive-in theater.
                                  I saw this a couple months ago and wanted to vomit.

(EDIT NOTE: Next door, The Planet Hollywood shop seems to be giving away a lot of merchandise at 'buy 1 get another one for 50% off or free'. If there is a God, this old albatross will be liquidated out of business and out of Disney as fast as you can say "McDonald's".
                                  Amen.

Then it occured to me... how much of this ride will they change? Will the nice Ewoks Village out front be replaced with newer sets? how about the indoor queue?
                                  I hope so (as long as it's an improvement) but I will be shocked if that happens.

One question.. is the AA Pixar lamp still in operation or has that been removed already? I am yet to see this prop doing it's thing.
                                  Is it even still there? I was looking for it in July and didn't see it at all.

But this fellas... have got to GO!!!
                                  Oh gosh I hope so.

Yes, pack your bags.. and go to Tokyo a year from now and see the new Fantasmic! OLC-style.
                                  I cannot wait to see what the OLC is able to do with this. I think it's gonna be amazing.
                                  I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                                  -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                  X