Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A completely fresh view on WDW and Orlando.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A completely fresh view on WDW and Orlando.

Originally posted by sportbettor View Post
    Just for clarifications sake, its only people in SoCal that say "the ___insert fwy here___". I really don't know why that is. People in the SF Bay Area never say that.

Taking THE five or THE ninetyone or the whatever freeway number is more proper. "Take Interstate 5" makes sense but what happens when you remove interstate? What does that mean? "Take 5". Take five what? Take five apples? It's not quite the same as telling someone to "Take 5th Street" because it's obvious that you're describing a street. Or you can drop street and it would be "Take 5th", which is still understandable.

Take THE five implies highway. Makes perfect sense to me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
      Taking THE five or THE ninetyone or the whatever freeway number is more proper. "Take Interstate 5" makes sense but what happens when you remove interstate? What does that mean? "Take 5". Take five what? Take five apples? It's not quite the same as telling someone to "Take 5th Street" because it's obvious that you're describing a street. Or you can drop street and it would be "Take 5th", which is still understandable.

Take THE five implies highway. Makes perfect sense to me.
      Not on the East Coast. "Take 95 to the Harbor Tunnel to get downtown." or "Go up 83 to York and hang a right on 30." is how it would be said here. Alternatively, the term I-95 (or whatever number) is also used for interstate highways, but never with "the" in front of it. Only when there is a nickname associated with a road do we use "the", such as "the beltway", "the JFX", "the BW Parkway". Also terms like "Route 40" are used - but only if you're on the West side of town. On the East side of town, "Route 40" is called Pulaski Highway, which Guy Fieri said on DDD was "the Pulaski Highway", which is incorrect, locally speaking.

Other times the route number and name are used interchangeably, such as "Route 7" is also known as "Philadelphia Road". Again, never with "the" in front of it.

A lot of the naming conventions are simply traditions that the locals just know.
      Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 08-27-2010, 05:08 AM.
      temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
        Not on the East Coast. "Take 95 to the Harbor Tunnel to get downtown." or "Go up 83 to York and hang a right on 30." is how it would be said here. Alternatively, the term I-95 (or whatever number) is also used for interstate highways, but never with "the" in front of it. Only when there is a nickname associated with a road do we use "the", such as "the beltway", "the JFX", "the BW Parkway". Also terms like "Route 40" are used - but only if you're on the West side of town. On the East side of town, "Route 40" is called Pulaski Highway, which Guy Fieri said on DDD was "the Pulaski Highway", which is incorrect, locally speaking.

Other times the route number and name are used interchangeably, such as "Route 7" is also known as "Philadelphia Road". Again, never with "the" in front of it.

A lot of the naming conventions are simply traditions that the locals just know.

Come to think of it, people in CA do say "Take 91 West to 605 North". But yah, many do add "The". I find myself doing both. I'll try to pay more attention to it now.

Comment

OH and getting back on topic, I spoke with a cast member who has to do a lot of traveling between Florida and CA working at both parks. He's FROM FLA and after spending a lot of time on both, his favorite is DL. Once he got past the smallness, he was able to see how much was always going on in the west coast parks. But that's his opinion and may not be the others.

I find that those who spend a lot of time going to both frequently end up feeling this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
            OH and getting back on topic, I spoke with a cast member who has to do a lot of traveling between Florida and CA working at both parks. He's FROM FLA and after spending a lot of time on both, his favorite is DL. Once he got past the smallness, he was able to see how much was always going on in the west coast parks. But that's his opinion and may not be the others.

I find that those who spend a lot of time going to both frequently end up feeling this way.
            Speaking as an east coast native who has been to all 5 resorts... I definitely consider DL to be the best resort in the US (surpassed only by TDL) in terms of objective quality. It's obvious that management cares a lot more there - and that's reflected in higher standards of maintenance, regular plussing and updating of attractions, and (IMHO) friendlier CMs.

However, WDW still has a special place in my heart that I don't think will ever be replaced. It's the place I grew up at. And the one thing that WDW has that no other resort will ever have is the ability to never leave or see anything but Disney property for the entire duration of your visit. If you want, you can experience *zero* intrusion by the real world there for a week or more... That's something unique and special that I still appreciate about WDW. And maybe I'm just blindly optimistic, but I do hold out hope that one day - hopefully soon - the lame duck management that WDW's been saddled with for over 16 years now will experience a Matt Ouimet-style change and WDW will get some of the TLC it's needed for a long time.
            I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
            -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PSUMark View Post
              Speaking as an east coast native who has been to all 5 resorts...

I am so jealous! How could anyone afford to go to all five resorts??? I can only seem to afford to go to WDW about once every 15-20 years on average. If I'm super-careful, I just might be able to go again in March of 2012.
              temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

We have a goal - to go to Disneyland Paris on our 5th wedding anniversary and the Asian parks on the 15th and 20th Anniversary. Thankfully we can still afford to goto WDW twice a year, and to DL once every 3 years. I'm not a puriest, and love WDW the most. I enjoy DL but won't say I'd rather go there than WDW. Once every 3 years is enough for me.
                In seven years we intend on selling our house and moving to Celebration, FL, that way we can be as close to WDW as possible. I hope to be a corporate Cast Member someday and my husband wants to work at Epcot on the grounds crew. (horticulture)

Comment

Originally posted by PSUMark View Post
                  And maybe I'm just blindly optimistic, but I do hold out hope that one day - hopefully soon - the lame duck management that WDW's been saddled with for over 16 years now will experience a Matt Ouimet-style change and WDW will get some of the TLC it's needed for a long time.
                  I think that's how all of us Disneylanders felt between 1997-2005. It was a terrible time when everything new was absolutely terrible.

Comment

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman are amazing rides and I will definitely ride them again the next time I hit IOA.

However, there are some cons with both of these signature rides.

For Harry Potter, the white show building is visible from the entrance area of the park and especially between Jurassic Park and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter area. To me that screams bad show instantly, as Disney still makes sure that the illusion of another buildings are preserved. Heck, even the Soarin' building at Epcot is painted sky blue to make it blend into the sky when seen from World Showcase. At least I think that Universal should paint the building sky blue rather than leave it a obliviously white building.

For Spiderman, the theming is great and the ride is amazing. However, I feel that they should have put seat belts or individual secured lap bars on the "vehicle". I always feel like I am being moved around too much on that ride due to the single lap bar for that row. However, I guess it would then be harder to accommodate people with larger sizes (witch is Harry Potter's problem).

As for Universal Studios Florida, I love the backlot area. It's better than Disney's Hollywood Studios' backlot area (too much cheapness and not enough detail). My sister from the Bay Area even found authentic touches in the San Fransisco area with such names as the Buena Vista Cafe. And Disaster is better than the DHS Backlot Tour.

However, while Rip Ride Rockit is amazing as a roller coaster, I feel that it is out of place themewise. It sticks out too much as a roller coaster throughout the whole park because its looms over the park without much of a reason for it to be there. To me, while you can select the music and the vehicles are colorful, its fits more in a Six Flags park (if Six Flags would spend that much money on such a roller coaster) that Disney. Honestly, its is not a must ride for me because of that. Plus, I rather ride DHS's Rock n' Roller Coaster because it is themed from start to finish. Even California Screamin' fits in better and blends in better with DCA (even with its new and improved theming) that Rip Ride Rockit fits in with USF. Plus, their On Board Soundtracks fit in much better with the ride.

A another major problem with Universal, except when USF has Universal 360, there is nothing to keep people in at night. I always went to IOA at night because I could count on thiner crowds during the night than during the day. Sure, its Universal's neighbors (who apparently were around before USF and IOA were built) that keep Universal from being able to create nighttime shows for both parks that could rival Disney's. But still, people flock to Disney during the night for Wishes, Fantasmic!, and IllumniNations because they're amazing to watch.

While I consider Universal's individual achievements with Harry Potter and Spiderman and Universal's collective ability to create a studio theme park (hey, they have the largest movie studio in the world) to rival Disney's, overall Disney still has the advantage with its amazing theming and the classic attractions that touch our hearts. However, that's doesn't meant I don't think that Disney doesn't need to create better attractions. Disney still NEEDS to. This is the company that created the experiences (Indiana Jones Adventure, Soarin', etc.) that certainly helped inspire Universal to take it to the next level. Disney definitely can take it to the next level, and should.

Comment

Agreed. Any company that has been the industry leader for years or decades should not rest on their laurels and assume they can't be outdone by someone else. Just ask IBM

Comment

Uni is just as dated as WDW- but I would argue that both places are in relatively amazing shape compared to your other theme parks around the world.

In fact, I think the OP was trolling because anyone who recently went to IoA and was 100% unbiased should have noticed the conditions of MSI and TL. It's pretty bad and they need their common refurbs soon. Jaws is... dated. So is T2 and Shrek is looking dated too. They both are 'dated'

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                          In fact, I think the OP was trolling because anyone who recently went to IoA and was 100% unbiased should have noticed the conditions of MSI and TL. It's pretty bad and they need their common refurbs soon. Jaws is... dated. So is T2 and Shrek is looking dated too. They both are 'dated'
                          Thanks for calling me a troll.
                          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Uni is just as dated as WDW- but I would argue that both places are in relatively amazing shape compared to your other theme parks around the world.

It's fine if you have a different opinion but please don't call the other posters "trolls".

Comment

I was in no way looking to start an argument, but I wanted to share some fresh uninfluenced opinions on the parks.

This was an actual conversation.

Comment

The opinions in the original post are unbiased because the people interviewed did not have any previous expectations of either Universal or Walt Disney World. They went simply to have fun and were not looking at little things like maintenance. For them, I can definitely see how Universal would look more "fresh" (not physically newer, as you describe) in that the franchises represented are still relatively new compared to some of Disney's.

The poster clearly mentioned that these were only subjective views and that everyone's opinions are different, so there is no reason to accuse them of trolling. What one person enjoys about Disney parks may not hold true for another person. Same for Universal's parks.
                                Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Here is the problem in rating IOA as a theme park for most I guess

The rides they have are exceptional but the park lacks depth of rides

So on a busy day at MK when you can only ride so many attractions and alot are not E tickets, you feel a let down

Both parks would have seven "E" tickets with some dropping and some added based on personal opinoun

IOA
                                  Hulk
                                  Spiderman
                                  Dudley Do Right
                                  Popeye
                                  Jur. River Adventure
                                  Dueling Dragons (count as 1 or 2)
                                  Forbidden Journey

MK
                                  Jungle Cruise
                                  POTC
                                  Splash
                                  Big Thunder
                                  Haunted Mansion
                                  Space Mountain

While on the second tier
                                  IOA
                                  Cat and the Hat
                                  Hippogrif ?????
                                  One Fish ??????
                                  Carsuessal ?????
                                  Storm ????

MK
                                  Pooh
                                  Buzz
                                  Barnstormer???
                                  Indy
                                  Peter Pan
                                  Dumbo
                                  Alladian
                                  Snow White
                                  Carrosuel ??
                                  Tea cups ???

Third Tier
                                  IOA
                                  IIRTZ
                                  PF
                                  my ship the olive

MK
                                  Stich
                                  People Mover
                                  TSI
                                  Riverboat
                                  CoP

Where MK kills IOA is on depth of attractions and theming while IOA top 6 attractions in some/most are equal or better than MK top 6 rides

Comment

Originally posted by Bags deserves bett View Post
                                    Here is the problem in rating IOA as a theme park for most I guess

The rides they have are exceptional but the park lacks depth of rides

So on a busy day at MK when you can only ride so many attractions and alot are not E tickets, you feel a let down

Both parks would have seven "E" tickets with some dropping and some added based on personal opinoun

IOA
                                    Hulk
                                    Spiderman
                                    Dudley Do Right
                                    Popeye
                                    Jur. River Adventure
                                    Dueling Dragons (count as 1 or 2)
                                    Forbidden Journey

MK
                                    Jungle Cruise
                                    POTC
                                    Splash
                                    Big Thunder
                                    Haunted Mansion
                                    Space Mountain

While on the second tier
                                    IOA
                                    Cat and the Hat
                                    Hippogrif ?????
                                    One Fish ??????
                                    Carsuessal ?????
                                    Storm ????

MK
                                    Pooh
                                    Buzz
                                    Barnstormer???
                                    Indy
                                    Peter Pan
                                    Dumbo
                                    Alladian
                                    Snow White
                                    Carrosuel ??
                                    Tea cups ???

Third Tier
                                    IOA
                                    IIRTZ
                                    PF
                                    my ship the olive

MK
                                    Stich
                                    People Mover
                                    TSI
                                    Riverboat
                                    CoP

Where MK kills IOA is on depth of attractions and theming while IOA top 6 attractions in some/most are equal or better than MK top 6 rides
                                    this is a fair criticism

Comment

That theory could also be taken to Animal Kingdom

Since

Finding Nemo & Lion King are great shows

Bug's life is a solid interactive movie

Everest and the Safari are both top attractions in Orlando

with Dinosaur and Rapids are good but could have been better

The Carnival in Dinoland occupies time, Rafki Planet Watch for most is not repeated and the two walk/treks are good but not something that would merit a cross country/ocean trip to see

Animal Kingdom needs depth:

Whether it had been a Beastly Kingdom or a less expensive idea of building out Camp Minnie Mickey towards an Animal "Fantasy Land"

with dark rides for Bambi, Lion King, Jungle Book

and another area for Lady & the Tramp, 101 Dalamations, & Aritsocats if you wanted to go really crazy with theme

And for those Beastly Kingdom fanatics

Why not beyond Asia and Nemo to encircle the pond for a future World of Color Show, The beast would fit in better with the Yeti and the Dino's than next to Africa anyways.

Also they could close Africa, Rafki, and the Walk/Treks at the same time and still have areas open for night time that are not directly effecting the "stars" of the park

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                                        Thanks for calling me a troll.
                                        *foot in mouth*

You must understand that these threads only get people each other at people's throats- and they only state your opinion. And my opinion, while blunt (troll comment was so out of line with what I meant), is very different than yours.

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                                        I was in no way looking to start an argument, but I wanted to share some fresh uninfluenced opinions on the parks.

This was an actual conversation.
                                        You will not find that here, nor anywhere. Sorry lol

one hundred and one

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X