Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

    Which park has the better mansion facade, Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom? I personally haven't had a chance to see the MK facade in person, but from pictures it looks "cheesy", I guess that isn't the right word...it seems like the bricks look flat or something :P



    (Also, I'm not dissing your mansion..I just wasn't sure what it looks like in person!)

    So, in your opinion what park has the better mansion? Feel free to post pictures! I love pictures!!!


    Or



    Thanks to the respective sites for the pictures

  • #2
    Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

    I like DL's facade better for two, no, three reasons... first, the DL mansion and surrounding area looks more authentically "aged" (as any haunted house should be), while WDW's mansion just looks fake, especially after its recent repainting, as pictured in your photos.

    Second, it's hard to get a good look at WDW's facade, thanks to the weird angle you approach it from (entering through a back door?) and the canvas shade canopy which runs the length of the queue. It makes the whole approach to WDW's mansion a lot less imposing.

    And finally, and this is just a personal reason... living in FL I get to experience DL's mansion a lot less often. Darn it all anyway.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

      Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
      I like DL's facade better for two, no, three reasons... first, the DL mansion and surrounding area looks more authentically "aged" (as any haunted house should be), while WDW's mansion just looks fake, especially after its recent repainting, as pictured in your photos.

      Second, it's hard to get a good look at WDW's facade, thanks to the weird angle you approach it from (entering through a back door?) and the canvas shade canopy which runs the length of the queue. It makes the whole approach to WDW's mansion a lot less imposing.

      And finally, and this is just a personal reason... living in FL I get to experience DL's mansion a lot less often. Darn it all anyway.
      Huh, well I do wish that we (Disneyland) had your mansion (not the Facade, but the ride itself).

      I wonder if you enter through a backdoor because of the weird position of the ride, look at this "blueprint"...left is DL, right is MK.



      It seems like they really had to convult the layout to fit it in....but once more..ive never been to WDW so I probably sound stupid :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

        Don't base your opinions on artistic photographs with professional lighting jobs vs. fan-shot photographs(although for what it's worth I think Disneyland lighting does a better job too ;P).

        I don't have a problem with WDW's facade, but it loses a lot to me because it's just a facade on the hill and you never really feel like you're walking into it. You can only see it up close in the corner that sticks out into the queue and by the time you get to the entrance doors you're under the canopy and have lost any feeling that you're entering THAT building. Whereas at Disneyland, if you're not fortunate enough to get to walk up the steps, you get to walk along the porch and clearly enter the decrepit building you just approached.

        That's the real difference to me. WDW feels like you're entering a ride with a nicely made building placed on top. Disneyland feels like you're entering THAT house.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

          Originally posted by almandot View Post
          Don't base your opinions on artistic photographs with professional lighting jobs vs. fan-shot photographs(although for what it's worth I think Disneyland lighting does a better job too ;P).

          I don't have a problem with WDW's facade, but it loses a lot to me because it's just a facade on the hill and you never really feel like you're walking into it. You can only see it up close in the corner that sticks out into the queue and by the time you get to the entrance doors you're under the canopy and have lost any feeling that you're entering THAT building. Whereas at Disneyland, if you're not fortunate enough to get to walk up the steps, you get to walk along the porch and clearly enter the decrepit building you just approached.

          That's the real difference to me. WDW feels like you're entering a ride with a nicely made building placed on top. Disneyland feels like you're entering THAT house.
          (Ive seen tourist photos, but they sucked :P)

          Also, I LOVE how you can enter the front? (side) door at DL's Haunted Mansion directly from the front steps. I wonder why they enter you through a random door at MK

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

            Originally posted by almandot View Post
            Don't base your opinions on artistic photographs with professional lighting jobs vs. fan-shot photographs(although for what it's worth I think Disneyland lighting does a better job too ;P).

            I don't have a problem with WDW's facade, but it loses a lot to me because it's just a facade on the hill and you never really feel like you're walking into it. You can only see it up close in the corner that sticks out into the queue and by the time you get to the entrance doors you're under the canopy and have lost any feeling that you're entering THAT building. Whereas at Disneyland, if you're not fortunate enough to get to walk up the steps, you get to walk along the porch and clearly enter the decrepit building you just approached.

            That's the real difference to me. WDW feels like you're entering a ride with a nicely made building placed on top. Disneyland feels like you're entering THAT house.


            Pretty much what I was going to say. I love the style of WDW's Mansion as a stand alone thing, but it's mere decoration because you never actually go INTO it. Plus... it's not really a part of Liberty Square at all. It's off to the side and isn't really part of the environment. It's just there.

            At Disneyland, the mansion not only serves its purpose of being a southern style mansion in a New Orleans land, but it serves its purpose for the attraction as well, allowing guests to enter its front doors and into the attraction. I also like that there's a lot more queue IN the mansion so that you get the feeling of walking through the house. In Florida, as soon as you go UP the elevators, you're caught in this claustrophobic line boarding the buggies almost immediately.

            The sit-down portion of Florida's Mansion IS a bit better only NOW after the updates. When it had a big spider, I said "EFF THIS VERSION."


            Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

            Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

              Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
              At Disneyland, the mansion not only serves its purpose of being a southern style mansion in a New Orleans land, but it serves its purpose for the attraction as well, allowing guests to enter its front doors and into the attraction. I also like that there's a lot more queue IN the mansion so that you get the feeling of walking through the house. In Florida, as soon as you go UP the elevators, you're caught in this claustrophobic line boarding the buggies almost immediately.
              So your saying you dont even go into the mansion? I mean..the only part at DL is the stretching room and foyer. @[email protected] gah, when I become the imagineer i want to be im buying tickets to go to WDW! I just need 10,000 for 4 people :c

              Comment


              • #8

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                  I prefer DL if for no other reason then I like the New Orleans theme a little better then the americana style mansion! plus there is just something a little more spooky feeling about DL's facade! I have not been on MK's since they referbed it so not sure how it has changed to speak to the ride itself.
                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                    Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                    Plus... it's not really a part of Liberty Square at all. It's off to the side and isn't really part of the environment. It's just there.

                    THAT aspect I actually consider a strength. It's that spooky old house away by itself on a hill. You leave the more friendly, comfortable areas of Liberty Square and approach it. I think this was proably done on purpose and is very effective.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                      Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
                      THAT aspect I actually consider a strength. It's that spooky old house away by itself on a hill. You leave the more friendly, comfortable areas of Liberty Square and approach it. I think this was proably done on purpose and is very effective.
                      I agree it was done on purpose so it could be the ominous mansion that sets above the Liberty square kind of feel.
                      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                        Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
                        THAT aspect I actually consider a strength. It's that spooky old house away by itself on a hill. You leave the more friendly, comfortable areas of Liberty Square and approach it. I think this was proably done on purpose and is very effective.

                        Hmm.. a valid argument. I still stand by the awkward awning and entry to be a negative.

                        One last point I'll make is... the mansion in MK definitely looks haunted, and for that reason, I'm not as big of a fan. I like that the one at Disneyland is clean and practically new. It's only haunted on the inside.


                        Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

                        Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                          From early concept art I think that MK's Facade is what the imagineers wanted at Disneyland. The bat weathervane (my HM painting for DL has a black cat, but same idea), on a "hill" (?), its more of a romantic gothic mansion.

                          Disneyland (still my favorite mansion) seems like an afterthought...there are remnants of when the captain lived there like the ship weathervane, the telescope (well it was there)..a more prisitene look that Walt wanted. MK's mansion is still "nice" on the outside, but in a way it looks more "run down" compared to DL (not from lack of upkeep, but the overall theme of it).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                            I gotta stick with the classic...DL all the way! MK is nice...i think its very interesting looking at the very least, but i LOVE all the little headstones at DL...the made up names are so clever =P I know MK has a few of those headstones, and even some of them move (which is a really cool effect I wish DL would adopt...), but i like the overall set up of DL's haunted mansion better =]
                            November 7, 2008 - My Disneyland dream came true! And is was "SUITE"! :yea:
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                              WDW's my favorite simply because it's so unique and so out of the ordinary. The way Claude Coats designed the facade it's as if the building itself is a character on its own. Its two wings jut outward like a menacing figure, and its lofty position atop the hill gives a very imposing stance and presence. As if you're looking up at some kind of looming monster that's waiting to devour you inside its walls. I also adore the style blend of the English/ Dutch gothic manor house that was often seen throughout the New England area.

                              Having visited DL, I do really enjoy their mansion's facade, but personally for me I find it to be rather plain. It's certainly grand and impressive looking, but to me it has no sense of character, no sense of original style that makes its WDW counterpart so distinct. I can think of at least 10 mansions I've seen in pictures from the Southern area that all almost look like DL's in some form or the other. But WDW's is so distinct it's as if its own character that makes it stand out, and capture an aura of both mystery and foreboding with the building itself looking decrepit.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                                I have very strong feelings for them both. I do not feel that one is better then the other at all, rather I love the fact that they are 2 very different looking buildings. I think they fit their respective locations perfectly rather then just being carbon copies of each other.....Phantom Manor on the other hand.......that's a whole other love story,lol.
                                There's Always Room For a 1000.....Hurry Back


                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                                  My two cents:

                                  I've been to both mansions within the past month and I would say that DL's outdoor mansion facade is my favorite hands down. To me, I think it just 'fits' the original descriptions of Walt Disney that the park would take care of the outside and the spooks would take care of the inside. The MK mansion looks less 'kept' than DL. The DL mansion also feels like an old southern plantation house to me on the outside which, aesthetically, is more appealing to me than the architecture of the MK mansion. I agree with other posters that I like walking through the front door of the DL mansion rather than through the MK side queue.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                                    I think that DL haunted mansion looks much better... I agree , I dont really think the bricks portray a "Haunted house" very well
                                    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶


                                    :ap: Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings :ap:










                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                                      I don't have a favorite. I like both equally in that they tell different stories, both appropriate for their lands. The MK facade captures more of my imagination though. I can imagine that house going through the different seasons, preparing for winter as the river freezes over etc. and having a bit more of a life to it than DL.

                                      The costumes of the maids and butlers seem to fit better with the MK mansion facade than the DL one.

                                      Ditto everyone else's thoughts on the queue.

                                      Originally posted by TikiRoom View Post
                                      My two cents:
                                      I've been to both mansions within the past month and I would say that DL's outdoor mansion facade is my favorite hands down. To me, I think it just 'fits' the original descriptions of Walt Disney that the park would take care of the outside and the spooks would take care of the inside. The MK mansion looks less 'kept' than DL.
                                      I tend to think this has more to do with the nature of brick houses. They weather and patina in a way that a coat of paint just won't perk up in the same way it will a southern plantation. There is a certain heaviness to the materials in contrast to the lightness of wood and wrought iron.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

                                        MK facade and ride

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X