This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

Phantom Manor has one of the nicer Facades, but HM is an original attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
      I prefer DL if for no other reason then I like the New Orleans theme a little better then the americana style mansion! plus there is just something a little more spooky feeling about DL's facade! I have not been on MK's since they referbed it so not sure how it has changed to speak to the ride itself.
      Gotta agree. DL's HM just fits with the New Orleans plantation mansion look.
      sigpic
      Home away from Home.

Comment

Originally posted by FairestOfThemAll View Post
        I have very strong feelings for them both. I do not feel that one is better then the other at all, rather I love the fact that they are 2 very different looking buildings. I think they fit their respective locations perfectly rather then just being carbon copies of each other.....Phantom Manor on the other hand.......that's a whole other love story,lol.
        I think this is very well stated. Thanks FOTA!

I think the architecture of all the Disney Haunted Mansions look very good - including Paris's Phantom Manor and the upcoming Mystic Manor in HK.

I do think the mansion at Disneyland is the friendliest looking one though. I don't live in New Orleans (I'll give you one guess where I live), but there's a number of Victorian houses in my immediate area that resemble the DL HM (minus the wrought iron). Maybe that's why I think the DL HM looks so homey. For example here's a link to one, a supposedly "real" haunted mansion that is now a Japanese restaurant.

Comment

^I've seen this place in Novi and never realized it was a restaurant. I thought it was a funeral home.

Comment

I'm confused by people saying WDW's looks more run down and DL's looks cleaner... they both look maintained on the outside, phantom manor is the only one that they allow to look decrepit. And despite WDW's maintenance schedule in general, the facade still doesn't scream "run down spooky old house" to me it just screams "ooo spooky mansion on a hill"

Comment

Originally posted by almandot View Post
              I'm confused by people saying WDW's looks more run down and DL's looks cleaner... they both look maintained on the outside, phantom manor is the only one that they allow to look decrepit. And despite WDW's maintenance schedule in general, the facade still doesn't scream "run down spooky old house" to me it just screams "ooo spooky mansion on a hill"

Maybe it just looked that way from afar.

But, despite their differences, I'm GLAD they went with a different Haunted Mansion look entirely. This would be a boring discussion if they both looked exactly the same.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

See with proper lighting ours looks pretty darn foreboding too.

One thing Hatbox, that you MUST take into consideration, that while the Southern Plantation style building at DL is exotic, and unique, here in Florida and the south that style is much too common. And in fitting it inside the New England themed Liberty Square, this facade is not only more exotic to the physical location of the park, it also fits the theme of the land.
                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Your mansion is one of the best looking facades (in terms of uniqueness), my only complaint was the fact that from pictures ive seen the mansion's paint (i assume) looks cheesily painted on. How does it look like in person?

Comment

Just an FYI, Disneyland is also know as the Magic Kingdom since it's opening day, so the opening post would be better phrased as:

Which has the better Haunted Mansion facade, Disneyland or Walt Disney World?
                    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                      Just an FYI, Disneyland is also know as the Magic Kingdom since it's opening day, so the opening post would be better phrased as:

Which has the better Haunted Mansion facade, Disneyland or Walt Disney World?

While that's true, MK's original name was "Walt Disney World" before they added more theme parks and now "Magic Kingdom" is its specific theme park name. Disneyland, has always been the official name, even when it was often referred to as the "magic kingdom".

Comment

I love the exterior of the Magic Kingdom mansion - it's a darn cool looking facade. Awesome detailing on the brick work and stone extras, and just a well-done set piece, overall.

However, it's never screamed "Haunted Mansion" to me (no pun intended). When I see Disneyland's Mansion, I instantly know that I'm going to get the Haunted Mansion. I've never gotten that feeling from the mansion in Florida. In fact, I kind of feel like they could clean up the exterior a bit and put almost any attraction behind that facade and it'd work just as well. It'd make for a fantastic Hall of Presidents entrance.

Like I said, it's an awesome exterior, but I've never really felt that it's a Haunted Mansion - just a cool looking building.
                        *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
                        *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
                        *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

Just for the heck of it, here are pictures of each of the mansions again, but flipped from the originals posted. This time the Florida mansion is shown at night with lighting and fog effects and taken by a professional while the DL version is at daytime and poorly framed.

Kind of makes a difference.

Comment

Well I like both and I have Problems with both.The DL Mansion is all about fitting in the theme of NOS and it does that very well but is not that haunted looking. WDW mansion I always thought looked a little odd but may be thats a good thing.It has a goth look east and west wings but most of all its much more haunted looking so ill side with WDW for the haunted factor but phatom manor facade i like best.

Comment

I prefer the Disneyland HM. Mostly because the WDW version looks more like a castle to me, specifically the castle from the "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Comment

I think they're both great facades that serve their respective themes well!

I really look forward to actually experiencing the DL version though someday. It does look pretty cool.

Comment

As a personal preference, I like the Hudson Gothic style of the MK mansion, and as a New Yorker, I associate 'haunted' much more with the mansions on cliffs overlooking the Hudson River, rather than New Orleans manors, which I associate with southern Belles and the Civil War.

I very much agree with the earlier complaints about the awning, and the loss of the sensation of entering the building, which is a shame, because you definitely feel it as you exit.

Also, the mansion looks magnificent from Tom Sawyer Island/the Liberty Belle, and its paint job does not look fake as most of Liberty Square is constructed of brick, it fits right in. Oh, and I think the Conservatory was an inspired addition to the exterior, same thing with the horseless hearse.

But the DL Mansion does have the front entrance thing going for it, as well as the abundance of wrought iron (always spooky). Each fits very well into the land its meant to.
                                  someday, when we are wiser,
                                  when the world's older,
                                  when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                                  - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by lnbrannon22 View Post
                                    I gotta stick with the classic...DL all the way! MK is nice...i think its very interesting looking at the very least, but i LOVE all the little headstones at DL...the made up names are so clever =P I know MK has a few of those headstones, and even some of them move (which is a really cool effect I wish DL would adopt...), but i like the overall set up of DL's haunted mansion better =]
                                    I'm confused on this point. I remember the headstones from my childhood in California. I live in Florida now, and on my two or three trips to CA over the last few years, I never saw the headstones in CA. The queue just took me directly to the front door. I thought, "where are the headstones?" I wondered if I had imagined it. The queue in MK takes you infront of the headstones, so you see them every time, while you're waiting your turn to enter the attraction.

Anyhoo, I like how MK's mansion sits up on a hill, with the howling wolf sounds calling you to the building. Pretty cool. Gotta agree with everyone who doesn't like the canopy-covered queue that clearly doesn't lead inside the building (though with climate, blazing hot sun or pouring rain, you gotta have the canopy).

For me it's an apples an oranges thing. I appreciate that they are different. I don't like that Splash and Thunder are so similar. I don't like that Pirates in CA is so much better. MK's is different, but only because it's terribly lacking in detail and nuance.

I think both the HM facades are cool, just different. Inside, since the refurb, MK is the better attraction. But Disneyland could snag that title back with a similar refurb. The "more walking before you enter the buggy" thing is definitely better. It adds diversity to the whole experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                      In Florida, as soon as you go UP the elevators, you're caught in this claustrophobic line boarding the buggies almost immediately.
                                      There are no elevators in the Florida Mansion. You don't actually go anywhere in the Stretch Rooms - just walk in one door and then out the door on the other side of the room to the Doombuggy load area. It's all on the same level. There have been occasions when the Stretch Rooms were not working (or deliberately turned off) and you literally just walked through the room with both doors open, straight on to the Doombuggies load area.

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                      While that's true, MK's original name was "Walt Disney World" before they added more theme parks and now "Magic Kingdom" is its specific theme park name. Disneyland, has always been the official name, even when it was often referred to as the "magic kingdom".
                                      Not true: The Florida Park has been known as The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World since day 1, long before there were any other parks.

And long before WDW, Disneyland was also referred to as The Magic Kingdom, and still is.
                                      temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
                                        There are no elevators in the Florida Mansion. You don't actually go anywhere in the Stretch Rooms - just walk in one door and then out the door on the other side of the room to the Doombuggy load area. It's all on the same level. There have been occasions when the Stretch Rooms were not working (or deliberately turned off) and you literally just walked through the room with both doors open, straight on to the Doombuggies load area.
                                        Oh right. The stretching room goes upwards. I misspoke.

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
                                        Not true: The Florida Park has been known as The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World since day 1, long before there were any other parks.

And long before WDW, Disneyland was also referred to as The Magic Kingdom, and still is.
                                        You're right on the first part, but I said that Disneyland's official name was always Disneyland.... even if it was referred to as Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. You're just picking at straws.

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
                                          THAT aspect I actually consider a strength. It's that spooky old house away by itself on a hill. You leave the more friendly, comfortable areas of Liberty Square and approach it. I think this was proably done on purpose and is very effective.
                                          Same here! have once lived up on the Eastern Seaboard, it gives the feeling that the Rivers of America is really the Hudson and we're up along the Hudson Valley or the Shannondoah, ya know?

Secondly, the details of hidden chess pieces (there's a rook for the chimney and bishops for the portico) gives the idea that's more going on here. A single rose has recently sprouted up along the queue as well, away from where people walk; but close enough to the fence to give it the feeling that someone, long ago, planted it.

Lastly, DL does go through the front door, and that I appreciate. The doors at the WDW one feels like the servants' entrance-but that has its benefits. Like we're sneaking into someone's home.

Peace,
                                          Roo
                                          husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X