X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Not true: The Florida Park has been known as The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World since day 1, long before there were any other parks.

And long before WDW, Disneyland was also referred to as The Magic Kingdom, and still is.
    Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You're right on the first part, but I said that Disneyland's official name was always Disneyland.... even if it was referred to as Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. You're just picking at straws.
    I have no idea what "picking at straws" is...

I should have elaborated more. My point really was that they both have always been called The Magic Kingdom, a point which I've never understood - official name or not. The term is heard on several Disneyland audio tracks that pre-date WDW. But nowadays, when someone says Magic Kingdom, most are referring specifically to the one in Florida. Does anyone know why MK is often still used to refer to Disneyland? I would have thought that once WDW opened, calling Disneyland "The Magic Kingdom" would have stopped.

In light of the recent price increases, a news report referred to the Disney Parks in general this way: "As of today, it'll cost you more to go to the Magic Kingdom." The video clips being shown in the piece were from both DL and WDW. That just added to the confusion...
    temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

WDW's Mansion facade is pretty neat, I like the positioning ride on the water in theory, however in reality it is very difficult to get a good look at. The Disneyland is my favorite, however, as it just fits in with the land version, plus it actually looks like a Haunted Mansion, while the WDW version doesn't seem like a proper ghost house to me. The line and facade of Disneyland is definitely better, with the longer graveyard, better stretching room, and portrait gallery, while, as stated before, I would much rather have the sit down portion of the WDW version in California.

Comment

There are no elevators in the Florida Mansion. You don't actually go anywhere in the Stretch Rooms - just walk in one door and then out the door on the other side of the room to the Doombuggy load area. It's all on the same level. There have been occasions when the Stretch Rooms were not working (or deliberately turned off) and you literally just walked through the room with both doors open, straight on to the Doombuggies load area.
        (Bold mine) That really stinks. Big time...

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
          I have seen this bad show, and I have complained every time I have seen it.. but not to Main Street.

100% unacceptable.
          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

^ Hey its better than them just closing the ride.

Anyway talking exterior only,

I am a huge WDW fan and would pick it any day over Disneyland, but stacked against each other the New Orleans style house looks more like a mansion, a haunted one. I like WDW's but to me it looks more like a haunted town house.
            Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Disneyland looks like a haunted mansion settled on a southern plantation, while MK looks like a 1800s building that is haunted. Both very nice.

Comment

The line and facade of Disneyland is definitely better, with the longer graveyard, better stretching room, and portrait gallery, while, as stated before, I would much rather have the sit down portion of the WDW version in California. [/QUOTE]
                A few posters seem to think DL still has headstones I was there a week ago no headstones but it has that pet cemetery.Buy the way I know WDW may look castle-ish to some but make no mistake it is in fact a mansion a dutch gothic one .

Comment

Does anyone know why MK is often still used to refer to Disneyland? I would have thought that once WDW opened, calling Disneyland "The Magic Kingdom" would have stopped.
                  I'd venture that "force of habit" probably. Or that there's so many older references to Disneyland being his "magic kingdom" that they just let it be. It was the inspiration for WDW's Magic Kingdom after all and they couldn't call it Disneyland 2.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Perhaps from being born in the south, when I hear the word mansion, I picture something like the one in NOS. The traditional ride is now better in WDW, but I also love PM in Paris and HMH in DL.

A bientot.
                    Remember
                    What the dormouse said
                    Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

. There have been occasions when the Stretch Rooms were not working (or deliberately turned off) and you literally just walked through the room with both doors open, straight on to the Doombuggies load area.

Wow, that's unbelievable

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                      uh-huh

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                      I have seen this bad show, and I have complained every time I have seen it.. but not to Main Street.

100% unacceptable.
                      Agreed, absolutely unacceptable. What do you mean "not to Main Street"?

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                      ^ Hey its better than them just closing the ride.
                      No it's not!!! It's worse than closing the ride. Standards, people! Sometimes they need to close attractions to keep the magic going. The stretching room is a major part of the attraction. It's Disney, not a traveling carnival

Comment

100% unacceptable.
                        A very good friend went to WDW in 2005, on a very busy day. When the Foyer doors opened, everyone was rushed right from the Foyer through both sets of open Stretch Room doors to the Load area. He got it on video. Next time he went, (either that evening or the next day, I forget) all was normal.

I've read other reports that even now they still tend to rush guests from the Foyer and right into an already-open Stretch Room, essentially skipping the Foyer experience for most.

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

I just realized the building in which for nine years I had the pleasure of writing a directing annual haunted houses (we moved to an outdoor Haunted Trail show when the city sold the building) has architectural aspects similar to both Haunted Mansion facades:

The Franke Center for the Arts, formerly The Marshall Civic Center, in Marshall, MI.

I think at different times I thought about the columns looking like the DL mansion and the brick work and ornamentation looking like the WDW mansion, but never really thought about both before.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                            No it's not!!! It's worse than closing the ride. Standards, people! Sometimes they need to close attractions to keep the magic going. The stretching room is a major part of the attraction. It's Disney, not a traveling carnival
                            Your post has no logic from an operational standpoint. Why close down an entire ride system, which is functioning normally, when the pre-show is down? You`re just dissapointing and angering guests who wished to experience the ride itself if you would tell them that they can`t ride becuse the stretch room pre-show won`t function (when it`s not even an elevator like at DL). Of course the strecth room is a good part of the HM experience, but since it`s not connected to the ride system, why close it all down and fill up other attractions even more instead? HM would have the most downtime in all of WDW if they followed your suggestion.

Would you also like if they closed Test Track, Dinosaur, all other rides using pre-shows etc. due to technical problems during pre-show who`s system isn`t connected to the ride itself? As much as I wish to keep the magic going, and that WDW should defiently step up in their maintenance procedures, think about the average guest who has spend ALOT of $$$ for getting there (Tickets to Disney parks ain`t getting cheaper), will they accept something like that? Do the best out of a bad situation, instead.
                            __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Anyways, I`m a little indifferent with the mansions since I haven`t seen them up close, but Phantom Manor is the most unique and favourite of the four. It`s the only one they let be run-down since it fits with the theme of an abandoned manor damaged by earthquake.
                            Last edited by Cookie; 08-27-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie View Post
                              Your post has no logic from an operational standpoint. Why close down an entire ride system, which is functioning normally, when the pre-show is down? You`re just dissapointing and angering guests who wished to experience the ride itself if you would tell them that they can`t ride becuse the stretch room pre-show won`t function. Of course the strecth room is a good part of the HM experience, but since it`s not connected to the ride system, why close it all down and fill up other attractions even more instead? HM would have the most downtime in all of WDW if they followed your suggestion.

Would you also like if they closed Test Track, Dinosaur, all other rides using pre-shows etc. due to technical problems during pre-show who`s system isn`t connected to the ride itself. As much as I wish to keep the magic going, think about the average guest who has spend ALOT of $$$ (Tickets to Disney parks ain`t getting cheaper), will they accept something like that? Do the best out of a bad situation, instead.
                              This is just one of those things that people are not going to agree on. IMO, the stretching room is not a pre-show. I can't think of anything else it can be fairly compared to. It's a vital component of the whole "Haunted Mansion" experience. Herding people through there is just...not right. Shut it down, fix it, and get it up and running asap.

Comment

Prefer the Ghost Host's New England Summer home over the Plantation House.
                                Gleefully wears it's spookiness on it's sleeve and it still has the Family Plot.

Why, just look at this shot of it through the Liberty Belle's steam on a rainy day.

Mansion in Mist by FigmentJedi, on Flickr
                                M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                sigpic
                                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
                                  Gleefully wears it's spookiness on it's sleeve and it still has the Family Plot.

Why, just look at this shot of it through the Liberty Belle's steam on a rainy day.

Nice shot! It does have that off-in-a-distance, forboding quality. Disneyland's is just "there"

But hey, I love 'em both.

Comment

Agreed, absolutely unacceptable. What do you mean "not to Main Street"?
                                    I don't want to sound like a know it all, or something, but I talk to people who have direct control over the area.

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post

This is a stunning photo! Top notch!

Comment

This is just one of those things that people are not going to agree on. IMO, the stretching room is not a pre-show. I can't think of anything else it can be fairly compared to. It's a vital component of the whole "Haunted Mansion" experience. Herding people through there is just...not right. Shut it down, fix it, and get it up and running asap.
                                        In the particular case I cited, the Stretch Rooms were not down. They were deliberately turned off to get people through faster on a busy day.

Remember, there are two Stretch Rooms. Even if one goes down, they still have the other one to use. On this particular day, they were herding people through the right Stretch Room. The left one was not open.

Comment

I don't want to sound like a know it all, or something, but I talk to people who have direct control over the area.

Cool, so what did they say?

In the particular case I cited, the Stretch Rooms were not down. They were deliberately turned off to get people through faster on a busy day.

Remember, there are two Stretch Rooms. Even if one goes down, they still have the other one to use. On this particular day, they were herding people through the right Stretch Room. The left one was not open.
                                          Wow, that is just unforgivable

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X