This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

I've been thinking on this more, and I think that part of the reason I prefer the Disneyland facade has to do with the cleanliness and upkeep. I've always found it to be a much scarier proposition that things that look "normal" and "clean" are actually haunted. So when I look at the exterior of the Disneyland Mansion, I get a sense of foreboding (not unlike the aura picked up by the Ghost Host) because I feel like this immaculately-kept exterior is hiding a sinister secret.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Comment

• that house like someone else has mentioned. Perhaps if they led you up some uncovered steps into a large "back door" to the house, it would help, but that's not going to happen since it's all on one level and they won't change the ride queue that drastically.

I do think that the DL HM suits its surroundings very well though. When I see the DL HM, I think of the movie Skeleton Key which makes it creepy in it's own way.

Anyway, we can try to explain away some of the setbacks, such as the clean outside of the DL HM makes it more creepy because you wouldn't expect it to be haunted, but the fact is that it just seems too maintained on the outside for it to be run down on the inside and loaded with 999 ghosts. It's so dirty and dusty on the inside, but on the outside its so well kept. Doesn't make sense to me. And like we said, the canopy and side entrance to the WDW HM steals from it's creepiness. Setbacks are setbacks. You can think what you want about them to make you accept them. I don't have any issue with someone doing that. I just accept them and move on. :whistling

Well, I can see I've been long-winded for my first post as I always am. Oh well. Despite the minor setbacks with the WDW HM, I still think it's the more imposing facade.
      "The happy haunts have recieved your sympathetic vibrations, and are beginning to materialize. They're assembling for a swinging wake, and they'll be expecting me. I'll see you all, a little later."

Comment

Originally posted by Pepper's Ghost View Post
        Anyway, we can try to explain away some of the setbacks, such as the clean outside of the DL HM makes it more creepy because you wouldn't expect it to be haunted, but the fact is that it just seems too maintained on the outside for it to be run down on the inside and loaded with 999 ghosts. It's so dirty and dusty on the inside, but on the outside its so well kept. Doesn't make sense to me. And like we said, the canopy and side entrance to the WDW HM steals from it's creepiness. Setbacks are setbacks. You can think what you want about them to make you accept them. I don't have any issue with someone doing that. I just accept them and move on. :whistling

Well, I can see I've been long-winded for my first post as I always am. Oh well. Despite the minor setbacks with the WDW HM, I still think it's the more imposing facade.
        Bold mine -- It doesn't make sense, for sure. But Walt wanted it that way. End of story.

The beauty of DL's facade is that it belies the fact that it is haunted. I find it fascinating that the exterior is a beautiful southern mansion but once you enter you realize this isn't any ordinary mansion. And I love how this is all done so gradually. The horrors of DL's HM do not reveal itself right away, but little by little from when you enter the stretching gallery, until the climax in the mansions' graveyard.

Anyway, welcome to Micechat! Hope I wasn't being too mean. Have fun here!

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
          Bold mine -- It doesn't make sense, for sure. But Walt wanted it that way. End of story.

The beauty of DL's facade is that it belies the fact that it is haunted. I find it fascinating that the exterior is a beautiful southern mansion but once you enter you realize this isn't any ordinary mansion. And I love how this is all done so gradually. The horrors of DL's HM do not reveal itself right away, but little by little from when you enter the stretching gallery, until the climax in the mansions' graveyard.

Anyway, welcome to Micechat! Hope I wasn't being too mean. Have fun here!
          Oh, absolutely not! You weren't being mean at all, and thanks for the welcome!

I do appreciate that point of view, and I understand that's what wanted. The irony of the beautiful and clean outside, and dingy and dirty inside makes it a bit spooky.

I guess I relate better to the monstrous old house in WDW. I find it more imposing. I'm huge into Halloween and although I'm not a goth kind of a guy, I do like gothic decor.

I agree with what someone said a few posts ago.... faced with the task of entering both homes in a real setting, I'd find the WDW HM more intimidating in general. I just wish it was set up more like Tower of Terror where the front of the hotel and lobby are part of the queue. If the queue took people to the steps in the front door, I'd probably mess my pants. Okay, maybe not, but I'm sure some kids would.
          "The happy haunts have recieved your sympathetic vibrations, and are beginning to materialize. They're assembling for a swinging wake, and they'll be expecting me. I'll see you all, a little later."

Comment

I like the Collin Campbell version from The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion the best out of any version.
            temp_39091_1443218350388_737

Mike and Karen ran toward the old house, through the old iron gate, and onto the porch for protection. Protection...? If only they had known...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X