X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinning Ghost
    replied
    Re: The Haunted Mansion facade, MK vs DL

I like the Collin Campbell version from The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion the best out of any version.

Leave a comment:

• Pepper's Ghost
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Bold mine -- It doesn't make sense, for sure. But Walt wanted it that way. End of story.

The beauty of DL's facade is that it belies the fact that it is haunted. I find it fascinating that the exterior is a beautiful southern mansion but once you enter you realize this isn't any ordinary mansion. And I love how this is all done so gradually. The horrors of DL's HM do not reveal itself right away, but little by little from when you enter the stretching gallery, until the climax in the mansions' graveyard.

Anyway, welcome to Micechat! Hope I wasn't being too mean. Have fun here!
    Oh, absolutely not! You weren't being mean at all, and thanks for the welcome!

I do appreciate that point of view, and I understand that's what wanted. The irony of the beautiful and clean outside, and dingy and dirty inside makes it a bit spooky.

I guess I relate better to the monstrous old house in WDW. I find it more imposing. I'm huge into Halloween and although I'm not a goth kind of a guy, I do like gothic decor.

I agree with what someone said a few posts ago.... faced with the task of entering both homes in a real setting, I'd find the WDW HM more intimidating in general. I just wish it was set up more like Tower of Terror where the front of the hotel and lobby are part of the queue. If the queue took people to the steps in the front door, I'd probably mess my pants. Okay, maybe not, but I'm sure some kids would.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Originally posted by Pepper's Ghost View Post
    Anyway, we can try to explain away some of the setbacks, such as the clean outside of the DL HM makes it more creepy because you wouldn't expect it to be haunted, but the fact is that it just seems too maintained on the outside for it to be run down on the inside and loaded with 999 ghosts. It's so dirty and dusty on the inside, but on the outside its so well kept. Doesn't make sense to me. And like we said, the canopy and side entrance to the WDW HM steals from it's creepiness. Setbacks are setbacks. You can think what you want about them to make you accept them. I don't have any issue with someone doing that. I just accept them and move on. :whistling

Well, I can see I've been long-winded for my first post as I always am. Oh well. Despite the minor setbacks with the WDW HM, I still think it's the more imposing facade.
    Bold mine -- It doesn't make sense, for sure. But Walt wanted it that way. End of story.

The beauty of DL's facade is that it belies the fact that it is haunted. I find it fascinating that the exterior is a beautiful southern mansion but once you enter you realize this isn't any ordinary mansion. And I love how this is all done so gradually. The horrors of DL's HM do not reveal itself right away, but little by little from when you enter the stretching gallery, until the climax in the mansions' graveyard.

Anyway, welcome to Micechat! Hope I wasn't being too mean. Have fun here!

Leave a comment:

• Pepper's Ghost
    replied
    that house like someone else has mentioned. Perhaps if they led you up some uncovered steps into a large "back door" to the house, it would help, but that's not going to happen since it's all on one level and they won't change the ride queue that drastically.

I do think that the DL HM suits its surroundings very well though. When I see the DL HM, I think of the movie Skeleton Key which makes it creepy in it's own way.

Anyway, we can try to explain away some of the setbacks, such as the clean outside of the DL HM makes it more creepy because you wouldn't expect it to be haunted, but the fact is that it just seems too maintained on the outside for it to be run down on the inside and loaded with 999 ghosts. It's so dirty and dusty on the inside, but on the outside its so well kept. Doesn't make sense to me. And like we said, the canopy and side entrance to the WDW HM steals from it's creepiness. Setbacks are setbacks. You can think what you want about them to make you accept them. I don't have any issue with someone doing that. I just accept them and move on. :whistling

Well, I can see I've been long-winded for my first post as I always am. Oh well. Despite the minor setbacks with the WDW HM, I still think it's the more imposing facade.

Leave a comment:

• oo_nrb
    replied

I've been thinking on this more, and I think that part of the reason I prefer the Disneyland facade has to do with the cleanliness and upkeep. I've always found it to be a much scarier proposition that things that look "normal" and "clean" are actually haunted. So when I look at the exterior of the Disneyland Mansion, I get a sense of foreboding (not unlike the aura picked up by the Ghost Host) because I feel like this immaculately-kept exterior is hiding a sinister secret.

Leave a comment:

• wolfman98208
    replied

If you look at the MK blueprint,the shape of the entrance room looks like a hidden mickey(lower lefthand corner).My daughter Katie was looking at it and pointed it out to me.She see's hidden mickeys all over the place.She loves Disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• Grinning Ghost
    replied

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Per Disney, they are officially designated as "Expanding Rooms."
    Could you please cite the source?

I don't ever recall seeing the term "Expanding Room" used in the past nine years that I've been researching/exploring HM sites/books/references until seeing it in this thread. 98% of the time, they're referred to as "Stretching Rooms" or "Stretch Rooms", (or simply "SR") probably because the Ghost Host himself says:

"Is this haunted room actually stretching, or is it your imagination, hmm?", and well - that is what they do!

He doesn't say "expanding" or "elongating"; he says "stretching". Regardless of whether "Expanding Room" is official or not, it never stuck.

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied

Originally posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Interesting; never heard anyone use the term "expanding room"... I have heard "elongating room", but rarely.
    Per Disney, they are officially designated as "Expanding Rooms."

Leave a comment:

• BANANAZ
    replied

Lol, true that. I guess it does look a lot like Phantom Manor, just made from brick. That place would be perfect for a haunted tour though...

Leave a comment:

• Grinning Ghost
    replied

Reminds me more of a house on the long-gone MGM backlot. It was built for "Meet Me In St. Louis" as the "Boy Next Door" house, and used again later for "Little Women". (Probably not at all like it in reality, but that was the facade I thought of instantly when I saw the photo.)

If I have to compare it with one of the Mansions, I would say it's really closest to Phantom Manor rather than the MK facade. Ok, well the Phantom Manor if it were made of brick.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
    I should, but it's a little hard to take a picture while driving...

I found a picture on Google, but it's somewhat small. I've actually been inside it, and it's very nice. It's also for sale, in case anyone is interested! XD

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Paint DL's red and it would look like that too. Still, I wouldn't mind living there!

Leave a comment:

• BANANAZ
    replied

Originally posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    You should take a picture and show us. I'd love to see a mansion like that in a real setting.

As for the better facade, I have to go with MK. I find the gothic architecture more suitable for the ghostly theme. I do love the one in DL (which fits wonderfully into the whole New Orleans facade) but to me it's not scary enough, not even at night.
    I should, but it's a little hard to take a picture while driving...

I found a picture on Google, but it's somewhat small. I've actually been inside it, and it's very nice. It's also for sale, in case anyone is interested! XD

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    This is the standard operating procedure at Anaheim's parks. If a part of the show is down, the whole attraction goes down. This includes pre-show.
    How it should be in Orlando as well, pre-show or not if part of the show is spoiled it tends to spoil the whole experience for the guest..

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied

Originally posted by Cookie View Post
    Your post has no logic from an operational standpoint. Why close down an entire ride system, which is functioning normally, when the pre-show is down?
    Would you also like if they closed Test Track, Dinosaur, all other rides using pre-shows etc. due to technical problems during pre-show who`s system isn`t connected to the ride itself?
    This is the standard operating procedure at Anaheim's parks. If a part of the show is down, the whole attraction goes down. This includes pre-show.

Leave a comment:

• Beast308
    replied

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say. I love the style of WDW's Mansion as a stand alone thing, but it's mere decoration because you never actually go INTO it. Plus... it's not really a part of Liberty Square at all. It's off to the side and isn't really part of the environment. It's just there.

At Disneyland, the mansion not only serves its purpose of being a southern style mansion in a New Orleans land, but it serves its purpose for the attraction as well, allowing guests to enter its front doors and into the attraction. I also like that there's a lot more queue IN the mansion so that you get the feeling of walking through the house. In Florida, as soon as you go UP the elevators, you're caught in this claustrophobic line boarding the buggies almost immediately.

The sit-down portion of Florida's Mansion IS a bit better only NOW after the updates. When it had a big spider, I said "EFF THIS VERSION."

I agree on all counts, including the stupid spider. You get a more interactive feeling at DL. It's a cool building and you feel a part of it. At MK, it's a nice building but you feel detached from it, like you just get to see it and not be in it.

Leave a comment:

• Magic Lamp
    replied

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
    Considering the fact that we have a mansion in our area that looks very much like the one in MK, I'm going to have to go with that one. Plus, I... I... have never been to Disneyland... *sobs*
    You should take a picture and show us. I'd love to see a mansion like that in a real setting.

As for the better facade, I have to go with MK. I find the gothic architecture more suitable for the ghostly theme. I do love the one in DL (which fits wonderfully into the whole New Orleans facade) but to me it's not scary enough, not even at night.

Leave a comment:

• BANANAZ
    replied

Considering the fact that we have a mansion in our area that looks very much like the one in MK, I'm going to have to go with that one. Plus, I... I... have never been to Disneyland... *sobs*

Leave a comment:

• Zorro825
    replied

I love both versions, but DL wins out in that you actually get the feeling you're entering the house where as at MK it almost feels like you're going past it and through the backyard.
    Last edited by Zorro825; 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mansionman
    replied

Look theres no reason to give the DL and MK strech rooms different names they are both stretching rooms. The walls and the portraits stetch in both just the way the ghost host likes it and as fare as EXPANDING goes the Universe is expanding and so is my wifes butt.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

Originally posted by almandot View Post
    no i don't mean in the stretching room i mean after the stretching room leading up to the turnstile loading area at MK.

ahhh ok yeah your right that area is so congested it kindof spoils the illusion of a tour and makes it seem more like an open house..

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X