X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Potter style ride at disney

Hello All,
    Just came back from my vacation from WDW and Universal...Hopefully i will post a tr soon with pictures. Anyway, while at Universal I rode Potter 4 times and it is clearly the best dark ride in the area. My question to you guys is when can Disney produce something like this and what can they use for it meaning what sort of theme would it be.
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

Re: Potter style ride at disney

Originally posted by Ryan Imagineer View Post
    Hello All,
    Just came back from my vacation from WDW and Universal...Hopefully i will post a tr soon with pictures. Anyway, while at Universal I rode Potter 4 times and it is clearly the best dark ride in the area. My question to you guys is when can Disney produce something like this and what can they use for it meaning what sort of theme would it be.
    I just did potter today, and all I can say is that Disney has a LONG way to go. They still haven't matched Spiderman.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Unfortunately, even Potter hasn't seemed to have had the effect on WDW execs to make a better effort. I think they're still under the impression that people are going to come to the parks anyway, so they don't need to try and make all these better and new rides.
      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

The issue here isn't just whether or not Disney has the will to do anything about Potterland (which I don't think they do at the moment), I don't think they even have the technology. From what I've heard, Universal has a deal that allows them exclusive use of the moving KUKA arm ride system.

So it might be a while before we see anything quite like Potter at WDW. That is not to say, though, that Disney should not innovate and try to find their own innovative attraction technologies.

Comment

Just to say Forbidden journey Has had alot alot of technical difficulties and have been put into a evacuation mode when they go normal and goes around the whole ride if something is blocking something or sombody vomited etc...
          But i would hopefully think disney will I say disney get of your but and back to your formal glory
          Here come's the bride.
          As long as we live.
          Till death do us part.
          You may kiss the bride.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomBoy View Post
            Just to say Forbidden journey Has had alot alot of technical difficulties and have been put into a evacuation mode when they go normal and goes around the whole ride if something is blocking something or sombody vomited etc...
            But i would hopefully think disney will I say disney get of your but and back to your formal glory
            I agree with you completely I was at IOA fir 2 days and it was e vaced at least 2 times and I got stuck on it for 10 minutes but no e vac
            Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/

Comment

Everything I've read states that Universal has a 10 year exclusive deal on the Potter style kuka arm technology, though I have yet to track down any kind of official release on the matter. Disney really stumbled in this case, as they didn't even have to develop new, innovative technology; it was up for grabs to the highest bidder and whoever took the initiative to try it.

As for when Disney can build a real answer to Potter, it won't be for at least a couple years, since they have to get through the Fantasyland expansion first. If all the recent rumors and rumblings are even partially true, however, it may not be that they build one super-advanced ride in response, but rather expand and plus many things at several of the parks. I would really like to see the quality of the resort improved as a whole rather than one mega attraction.
              "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

I agree with you completely I was at IOA fir 2 days and it was e vaced at least 2 times and I got stuck on it for 10 minutes but no e vac
                How long did it take Disney to work out all of the bugs in the attraction featured in your avatar? New technology is going to have bugs. Just because Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is having some kinks now, does not necessarily mean it will be plagued with them for the rest of its operating life.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                  How long did it take Disney to work out all of the bugs in the attraction featured in your avatar? New technology is going to have bugs. Just because Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is having some kinks now, does not necessarily mean it will be plagued with them for the rest of its operating life.
                  But at soft opening it did the same now its proper opening it has become alot more breaking down!
                  And some of the breaks down are because of censors of stuff not popping up which i find stupid!
                  I also feel that disney needs to build a new ride like indy.
                  I would like to see them using a technology when you can look down but its a kid ride
                  Here come's the bride.
                  As long as we live.
                  Till death do us part.
                  You may kiss the bride.

Comment

most of the break down on Potter is because of Fat people not fitting and having enough time to get off the ride. Thats why in a year or less they are switching out the seats. the second big problem is people throwing up.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan imagineer View Post
                      most of the break down on potter is because of fat people not fitting and having enough time to get off the ride. Thats why in a year or less they are switching out the seats. The second big problem is people throwing up.
                      rofl rofl rofl

Comment

My question to you guys is when can Disney produce something like this and what can they use for it meaning what sort of theme would it be.
                        Disney has plenty of money and creative talent. They can produce a world class attraction that blows Potter out of the water just as soon as they want to. They just can't use identical technology, as mentioned earlier the Kuka arm is exclusive to Universal for now.

As for when or if Disney will bring their A-game and take on Potter? No one know, but don't hold your breath.
                        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                          Disney has plenty of money and creative talent. They can produce a world class attraction that blows Potter out of the water just as soon as they want to. They just can't use identical technology, as mentioned earlier the Kuka arm is exclusive to Universal for now.

As for when or if Disney will bring their A-game and take on Potter? No one know, but don't hold your breath.
                          You are 100% correct. There are a good number of either unused, or under utilized ride systems, that coupled with a wonderful story, would be amazing additions.

Disney does have the talent (or can rehire), along with the money... but there has to be a will.

Comment

I don't think that Disney should be looking to make rides that make people vomit. that's not what Disney is about. If IOA wants to have vomit rides so be it. Walt still wants his "Land" or "World" to be about rides families can enjoy together. Unless you say - a family that vomits together stays together?? I don't think so.
                            WDW expansion of Fantasy Land is the right choice - make more immersion - unlike Universal that it's not themed and just just walk through buildings and nothingness. I'll take a Princess meet and greet over a roller coaster anyday.

Comment

Just because Disney can't use the Kuka arm, it doesn't mean it can't use the more advanced systems out there. A new system, called the "Pandora's box" has been developed, and is being used in the Eifling, a European Park that inspired Disneyland. The reasoning for the lack of hightech rides is cheapness, rather than the technology not being available.

And DisneyWed, Forbidden Journey is by no means an intense ride. I wouldn't use people's upset stomach as a way to proof your point. Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, and many other rides make people vomit. And a thrown together Fantasy Forest with you can meet people dressed as princesses is more immersive than the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. "You just walk through buildings and nothingness." is a very weak statement. Where is the "nothingness" in Islands of Adventure? You just walk through buildings? The same can be said about every Disney Park! Seems like you just have a thing against Universal if you would rather meet some lady dressed as Cinderella rather than a roller coaster (by that do you mean the Forbidden Journey... a multi million dollar dark ride?)

Comment

Ok Janet - yes, I would rather meet some lady dressed as Cinderella than go to Universal in General. I can visit my local Six Flags and get about as much out of it as Universal gives me. If I want to wait an hour to buy a Harry Potter wand, I'll be heading out there lickety split.
                                Glad that in your view all theme parks should compete for the thrill ride - that's what life is about - lots of Magic there - sure - right.
                                The nothingness I was referring to is the lack of themeing - last time I checked the Hulk coaster sticks out like a sore thumb and has no theming besides the "green" of the track.
                                I don't waste my time over at Universal, so I'm not going to recite all the things that DON'T impress me about Universal or IOA, even if I haven't been to Harry Potter.
                                You should try to stay positive on this forum - most courteous users do..

Comment

I just find your comment pretty dramatic. There are only three roller coasters in Islands of Adventure, and they are still pretty well themed. Hulk has a highly themed station, the launch tube, and the track creates a kinetic feel in the entire coaster. Besides the two big coasters, Universal also has the two best dark rides in the world, the most elaborate water raft ride (Popei), the lush environments of Jurassic Park, and the whimsy of Toon Lagoon, Dudley Do Right, the Cat in the Hat dark ride, and all the details of Seuss Landing, Port of Entry, and don't get me started on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Now how is THAT like Six Flags? In MY opinion, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter has more magic than the whole lackluster Magic Kingdom.

And I'm not positive on these forums? You're the Negative Nancy dissing Universal. hahaha.

Comment

Janet - I think you are on the wrong forum - this one is mice chat - not Universal Chat...
                                    No matter - your opinion doesn't matter to me any way.

Comment

Originally posted by JanetDisneyland View Post
                                      I just find your comment pretty dramatic. There are only three roller coasters in Islands of Adventure, and they are still pretty well themed. Hulk has a highly themed station, the launch tube, and the track creates a kinetic feel in the entire coaster. Besides the two big coasters, Universal also has the two best dark rides in the world, the most elaborate water raft ride (Popei), the lush environments of Jurassic Park, and the whimsy of Toon Lagoon, Dudley Do Right, the Cat in the Hat dark ride, and all the details of Seuss Landing, Port of Entry, and don't get me started on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Now how is THAT like Six Flags? In MY opinion, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter has more magic than the whole lackluster Magic Kingdom.

And I'm not positive on these forums? You're the Negative Nancy dissing Universal. hahaha.
                                      I wouldn't call the coasters at Islands of Adventure well-themed. Theming only the queue does not equal a themed coaster. All that exposed and unthemed coaster track creates the image that the attraction is simply a coaster (I have the same fault with California Screamin') and not some immersive adventure like the Disney Mountains or Forbidden Journey (which hides its track entirely indoors).
                                      ~ Tokyo DisneySeas Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyWed View Post
                                        Ok Janet - yes, I would rather meet some lady dressed as Cinderella than go to Universal in General. I can visit my local Six Flags and get about as much out of it as Universal gives me. If I want to wait an hour to buy a Harry Potter wand, I'll be heading out there lickety split.
                                        Glad that in your view all theme parks should compete for the thrill ride - that's what life is about - lots of Magic there - sure - right.
                                        The nothingness I was referring to is the lack of themeing - last time I checked the Hulk coaster sticks out like a sore thumb and has no theming besides the "green" of the track.
                                        I don't waste my time over at Universal, so I'm not going to recite all the things that DON'T impress me about Universal or IOA, even if I haven't been to Harry Potter.
                                        You should try to stay positive on this forum - most courteous users do..
                                        I personally think that there is aesthetic value to a roller coaster track. It adds a lot of kinetic energy to the land, it acts as a wienie to park guests entering the park and also to guests on the freeway. It fits the over all vibe for Marvel Super Hero Island, and I like the color. If they add lights to cars it will be even better.

While it would be nice if Dragon Challenge was enclosed in a ride building, I love the Incredible Hulk Coaster the way it is. The queue sets up the story for the coaster quite well.

I am really not sure why you are so loyal to the Disney brands. And please leave "Walt's intent" out of the discussion. HE IS DEAD. His family has no input. It is a publicly traded company that has no feeling or emotion for it's patrons, and it will make attractions that current management believes will provide a suitable return on investment for them.... And Universal is doing the exact same thing.

The main difference is that Universal doesn't have the brand loyalty that Disney does, and because of that each addition must be grand. Since 2004 each addition has been pretty terrific (in my opinion... I will grade some on a 1 to 5 scale)

Revenge of the Mummy (5)
                                        High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride (3)
                                        Disaster (3)
                                        The Simpson's Ride (4)
                                        Rip it, Ride it, Rock it (4)
                                        Wizarding World of Harry Potter (5)

Disney's additions since 2004

Mickey's Philharmagic (4)
                                        Stitches Great Escape (1)
                                        Monster's Inc Laugh Floor (2)
                                        Soarin (4)
                                        Three Cabrierros (2)
                                        The Seas with Nemo and Friends (3)
                                        Turtle Talk with Crush (4)
                                        Toy Story Mania (4)
                                        Lights Action Motors (3)
                                        Expedition Everest (5)
                                        Finding Nemo the Musical (5)

Sure all those rides happen indoors, but I would take any of Universal's additions over anyone of those (minus Everest)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X