This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potter style ride at disney

/\ Well said. Coaster track isn't automatically ugly. Most people are drawn to the energetic screams of sweeps of the Incredible Hulk at the beginning of the day, rather than a oversized hat with pixie dust, as is the case with Disney's Hollywood Studios. And it's not as if Disney has it's fair share of "bare bone" coasters, barnstormer, Primeval Whirl, and even test track all have exposed track, which actually (with the exception of Primeval Whirl) doesn't bother me, unlike you.

And I did say pretty well themed, TDL Fan, as in compared to most roller coasters like itself, Hulk's theming is very dynamic, with the big dips under the misty bridges, dives over the water, and launched Cannon at the beginning, all in the setting of the energetic "Super Hero City."

Comment

Let's see, I'll be in the Orlando area in just four weeks, and even though you bash my belief in the Magic of Disney - I'll still be there (spending my money) and not in Universal. And when I'm back in February - guess what! Disney World again! and NOT Universal. Guess my brand loyalty just keeps me coming back - or maybe it's the quality of my experiences - something you people can't seem to grasp.

Comment

Mod Note:
        Folks, we're talking about attractions at two wonderful theme parks, both of which bring most of us great joy. Please stay on topic, state your opinion of the attractions/parks, and drop the personal attacks and snide remarks. If you think somebody broke any rules here, I would urge you to use the power of reputation, and to report the post to the mod lounge.

Thanks for your help.
        "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
        raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Originally posted by JanetDisneyland View Post
          /\ Well said. Coaster track isn't automatically ugly. Most people are drawn to the energetic screams of sweeps of the Incredible Hulk at the beginning of the day, rather than a oversized hat with pixie dust, as is the case with Disney's Hollywood Studios. And it's not as if Disney has it's fair share of "bare bone" coasters, barnstormer, Primeval Whirl, and even test track all have exposed track, which actually (with the exception of Primeval Whirl) doesn't bother me, unlike you.

And I did say pretty well themed, TDL Fan, as in compared to most roller coasters like itself, Hulk's theming is very dynamic, with the big dips under the misty bridges, dives over the water, and launched Cannon at the beginning, all in the setting of the energetic "Super Hero City."
          Usually, I have no problems with coaster track. If I'm in any other park other than Disney's or Universal's, it definitely adds energy and excitement. And in those cases, having different coasters on display over the park as opposed to hiding them is more effective for a park where the coasters are simply that and not pretending to be more.

In a theme park, particularly one with standards as high as Disney and Universal, I prefer coaster track to be hidden or themed to fit in the context of the storyline. Hulk has a very nice set-up for sure, but the actual ride portion is unthemed. There is no purpose to the track being there, and it basically becomes a normal roller coaster after the launch (as opposed to successful coaster/dark ride hybrids). Don't get me wrong. It is an excellent coaster that would be a star attraction at any other coaster park (it would actually blend perfectly in a Six Flags park, for example). However, just as I do at Disney parks, I expect a degree of special effects and immersive theming in every attraction (and not just the queue). The lack of these will always keep the Hulk and Dragon Challenge from measuring up to the true themed attractions at Islands of Adventure for me.
          Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

I just wanted to state for the record here that im a Disney fanboy not universal and The two man reason why Potter breaks a lot is because of overweight guests and people getting sick this come directly from my conversation with a mechanic for Potter
            Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
            or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
            Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

Comment

I don't understand why people have to pick Universal or Disney. We have APs at both and couldn't imagine going to FL without going to both sets of parks. We spend more time at WDW mainly because there's more parks. Of all the parks in FL though IoA is probably our favorite. The Harry Potter area is so well themed and it has our two favorite FL rides FJ and Spiderman.

I do find it kinda funny though that Universal uses the Kuka arm for FJ and WDW uses the Kuka arm for The sum of all thrills which doesn't even feel that much different than virtual Space Mountain in Disneyquest. imho and that robot music thing which is gone now. Disney could do so much better if they wanted to. I just don't know that they want to innovate (ie spend money) at all in WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Imagineer View Post
                I just wanted to state for the record here that im a Disney fanboy not universal and The two man reason why Potter breaks a lot is because of overweight guests and people getting sick this come directly from my conversation with a mechanic for Potter
                Imho the only US ride Disney has that is the same level of ride and theme quality as FJ is Indy at DL and it breaks down all the time too. We were there last week and went there three times at Rope drop and it was down all three times.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomBoy View Post
                  But at soft opening it did the same now its proper opening it has become alot more breaking down!
                  And some of the breaks down are because of censors of stuff not popping up which i find stupid!
                  I do not get what you are saying. Are you saying that the ride is have more break downs now?
                  Also, by censors, do you mean show scenes not working? That was a standard first established, but now abandoned, by Disney.

Originally posted by DisneyWed View Post
                  I don't think that Disney should be looking to make rides that make people vomit. that's not what Disney is about. If IOA wants to have vomit rides so be it. Walt still wants his "Land" or "World" to be about rides families can enjoy together. Unless you say - a family that vomits together stays together?? I don't think so.
                  WDW expansion of Fantasy Land is the right choice - make more immersion - unlike Universal that it's not themed and just just walk through buildings and nothingness. I'll take a Princess meet and greet over a roller coaster anyday.
                  Ok Janet - yes, I would rather meet some lady dressed as Cinderella than go to Universal in General. I can visit my local Six Flags and get about as much out of it as Universal gives me. If I want to wait an hour to buy a Harry Potter wand, I'll be heading out there lickety split.
                  Glad that in your view all theme parks should compete for the thrill ride - that's what life is about - lots of Magic there - sure - right.
                  The nothingness I was referring to is the lack of themeing - last time I checked the Hulk coaster sticks out like a sore thumb and has no theming besides the "green" of the track.
                  I don't waste my time over at Universal, so I'm not going to recite all the things that DON'T impress me about Universal or IOA, even if I haven't been to Harry Potter.
                  You should try to stay positive on this forum - most courteous users do..
                  Janet - I think you are on the wrong forum - this one is mice chat - not Universal Chat...
                  No matter - your opinion doesn't matter to me any way.
                  When was the last time you even gave Universal a chance? Or have you just seen pictures and decided that there is not enough pixie dust?

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                    When was the last time you even gave Universal a chance? Or have you just seen pictures and decided that there is not enough pixie dust?
                    Well you know... "If fairy tales and pixie dust isn't you thing... "
                    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

For me, this makes me question my perception of Disney as THE Premium experience.

We all know the problems they have with basic facilities operations, with the overflowing garbage cans, etc... And we all know the problems they have with preventative maintenance of existing facilities and attractions.

I'd suggest that Disney *couldn't* bring a comparable top-tier attraction online in any meaningful timeframe. They just don't have the talent or ability to execute and follow through anymore .

They're *obviously* not the leader anymore, and just coasting on marketing the possibility of experiencing what it used to be like back when they had been at the top of their game.

I sincerely with it were otherwise, but that's life in the 21st Century...

Comment

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                        For me, this makes me question my perception of Disney as THE Premium experience.
                        This is THE question. This past week, when I was looking at a new AP to acquire. I already have SeaWorld and Aquatica. I was debating Disney vs. Universal, and I ended up getting a Universal Premium Annual Pass, because I personally saw more value... with the Premium AP I get, FREE Express after 4pm, 1 Halloween Horror Nights Ticket, and FREE VALET! sure there are other discounts and what not, but to me these are things that made me purchase it before Disney's.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomBoy View Post
                          Just to say Forbidden journey Has had alot alot of technical difficulties and have been put into a evacuation mode when they go normal and goes around the whole ride if something is blocking something or sombody vomited etc..
                          Oh I experienced one of those E-stops firsthand about a month ago. My very first ride on Forbidden Journey. Just as it started... it stopped. Didn't evac though. After staring at a blank screen for awhile, the arms rotated into what I call "default" position and I got to see the whole ride with the lights on. I was spazzing and took a bunch of photos with my phone, which you can see here:

http://micechat.com/forums/universal...all-911-a.html

I don't think that Disney should be looking to make rides that make people vomit.
                          Two words:

Mission: Space

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                            Two words:

Mission: Space

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL.... Yeah Forbidden Journey doesn't have built in puke bags! lol

Comment

From everything I've read, Disney's upcoming attractions (Mermaid, RSR, Star Tours II) will be innovative and cutting edge in other ways. They don't have to top Potter or boast the same kind of technology, they just have to be entertaining and exciting ride experiences.

I will agree that Disney will have egg on it's face if it disappoints and cuts corners with these new rides, particularly after Universal dazzled everyone with Potter. In any case, I will reserve judgement until I get a chance to experience them for myself.

Comment

I didn't really enjoy the Potter ride. I think Spider-man is a much better ride.

As far as Disney dark rides go, Indy (when the effects are on) still blows everything away in my book, not using video screens is a huge plus.

To me Harry potter and Spider-man are more motion simulators than dark rides.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUSHIE View Post
                                  To me Harry potter and Spider-man are more motion simulators than dark rides.
                                  I agree with you on spiderman being a simulator but potter includes elements of a simulator and dark ride
                                  Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
                                  or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
                                  Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X