Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Best place to watch IllumiNations?

Where in the World Showcase is the best place to watch IllumiNations? Would it be good to get a dinner reservation in one of the countries as a good place to see it?

We were thinking about Via Napoli with an 8:30pm reservation so we could watch it, possibly from our seats even. Would this be wise?
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Re: Best place to watch IllumiNations?

Originally posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    Where in the World Showcase is the best place to watch IllumiNations? Would it be good to get a dinner reservation in one of the countries as a good place to see it?

We were thinking about Via Napoli with an 8:30pm reservation so we could watch it, possibly from our seats even. Would this be wise?
    While I would highly recommend eating at Via Napoli, if you are looking for a restaurant to watch it from, Via Napoli is not one that you would really be able to get a view from. There are only about 5ish 2 people table by the front windows, and I sat at one of them. Definitely not a good view, you have a very narrow look out onto the lagoon. Add to the fact that its set a ways back into the Pavilion...that would probably be one of the worst parts to watch it from. If you are going after the Mexican restaurant on the lagoon reopens, I have heard that that will be prime viewing area.

However, I have seen Illuminations three times recentlyish, one back last summer, twice on NYE, and once this summer. Last summer, I saw it from japan...not hard to get a spot, and its a decent spot...but not great. NYE, my aunt held us a spot on the island between France and England...I would say it would probably be even lower on my list of where to watch Illuminations then Japan would be for two reasons, from that island there are islands in the middle of the lagoon that block your view of the sphere as it comes out and its farther from the center of the lagoon. My personal favorite spot, right smack dab in front of the lagoon as you come up from future world, between the two giftshops. that is about the closest you will get to the center of the lagoon and, at least to me, it was just 10 times more impressive right up there. The globe and fountains are much more prominent if you are right there. I had to get there like an hour and 1/2 early to get my spot, but it was worth it.

Comment

The only restaurant that affords a good view of Illuminations is the UK's. as they have the closest seats to the lagoon. Personally, I would ditch the restaurant and find a spot that is opposite to the winds.. Example, if the winds are blowing to the west, you want to find a spot in between Mexico and Norway... or if the winds are blowing towards the east, go to the bridge between UK and France... By doing so, you will avoid getting suffocated with all the horrible smoke that emanates from the pyrotechnics of the show... which most times is thick enough to block the view and give you lung cancer.

Comment

My favorite spot is right in front of the Canada pavilion, just across from the stairs leading up into the pavilion. It sorta looks like it'd be a bad spot, as there are trees and landscaping that appear to block the view. But it's really a pretty good view, and speakers rise up from the rocks just before showtime giving you great audio. This is not a very popular area for the above reasons, and you can get a reasonable position within 10 minutes of showtime. Much nicer than staking out a spot for 90 minutes!

Comment

My favorite spot is in Italy on that little island that sticks out into the lagoon an extra 50 feet or so. Its really nice from there AND on certain nights, if Illuminations and Wishes are at the same time, they'd be perfectly lined up from that spot.

Comment

But that spot is one of the first to be booked out for private events, and is rarely available for us commoners. Same thing with the island in front of France. Very money-grubbing, and very uncool, Disney!

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
              But that spot is one of the first to be booked out for private events, and is rarely available for us commoners. Same thing with the island in front of France. Very money-grubbing, and very uncool, Disney!
              Yah thats true :/
              BUT if anyone does get the chance, I can vouch for it. Canada is a good spot especially at the top of the stairs.

Comment

On my last visit a couple months ago, there was one night when I noticed that there was no special event on the France island. And that really is a great place to see the show - down at water level, near the speaker in the middle of the viewing area. Really a great, rare treat!

Comment

The best place to watch is the Mexico Boat Dock. But it is hard for normal people to get down there.

The new Cantina at Mexico will definitely have the best ROE viewing especially the 2 outside piers for dining.

Comment

I like the area between Mexico and China, mainly in front of Norway. But as suggested it all depends on which direction the wind is blowing.

Comment

We swear by the little place just to the south of the UK's restaurant...we wait until they open the area and just hop in. It's close to the water and then we get hot tea and Cadbury's in the meanwhile. It tends to fill up late.

REally, there isnt' a bad spot in the house, frankly. The show is huge and a personal fave.

Peace,
                      Roo
                      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X