Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow white scary adventure being replaced...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snow white scary adventure being replaced...

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    What's ur source on the meet and greet going into Snow White? How sure are you?

I'm not saying that because I doubt you, I do feel like it would be a logical move...

I just haven't seen ANYTHING concrete yet.

PM me if you must.
    Lee over on WDWMagic was the one that publicly broke the story, at the time, I had the same information from two other sources. If you're familiar with me over on WDWMagic or my podcast, you can probably guess at one of them.
    Co-Host of the WDW Fan Boys Podcast

Comment

I know that most people don't love it, but I grew up with SWSA so I will be soooooo sad to see it go.

It's probably my favorite ride in the park for sentimental reasons (along with Philharmagic, even though I know that's not a ride.)

I just love revisiting the movies of my childhood...i tear up every time I ride it...i'm such a baby

However, my bf will be ecstatic since I won't have to drag him on it every time we go to WDW ... lol!! That means he can ride SM or POTC even more than he already does!!!

But I would love to see the mine ride...so sayonara WDW SWSA!!!

I can always go to CA if I want my SWSA fix

Comment

Oh please let them add some Alice in Wonderland stuff, please? :beg:

And no, a new roof doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoxNo1 View Post
          Lee over on WDWMagic was the one that publicly broke the story, at the time, I had the same information from two other sources. If you're familiar with me over on WDWMagic or my podcast, you can probably guess at one of them.
          Ha ha, I know Lee... but I didn't ask who, I asked what. Like what ur source looked at to confirm this. And I'm not familiar with who you are or your podcast. Sorry, nothing personal, I just generally don't listen to Podcasts.
          -Bill

Comment

Ha ha, I know Lee... but I didn't ask who, I asked what. Like what ur source looked at to confirm this. And I'm not familiar with who you are or your podcast. Sorry, nothing personal, I just generally don't listen to Podcasts.
            Staggs has been dissatisfied with the female slant of the original plans, and operations dreaded the small capacities of the chateaus. The result was the chateau's and Pixie Hollow getting the axe. This is coming 2nd hand from imagineers through Jim Hill - Jim mentioned it on our show and his own site.

Disney hasn't announced the Mine Car Ride, but all of these details that Jim, Lee and juan (over at WDWMagic) have compiled all point to this. Lee broke the story, but in actuality, juan had the info before he broke the story, as did Jim.

Comment

Staggs has been dissatisfied with the female slant of the original plans.
              But... but... one more time: changing the location of the princess meet-and-greets and changing what kind of attraction Snow White has in the park isn't any less female slanted! It's exactly the same degree of female-slanted attractions in slightly different dresses!

So far the new plans actually sound slightly worse to me. The only good news I'm hearing is that :
              1) probebly some of the land being cleared now isn't going to be used yet, at least leaving the potential for additional attractions.
              2) Maybe an all-new attraction will go in where Scary Adventures is now instead of a new meet-and-greet location.
              3) plans are still up in the air.

Comment

For clarification, here is what is happening as of the latest rumblings.

From the original plans:
                Dueling Dumbos
                Be Our Guest Restaurant
                Ariel's Undersea Adventure (or whatever it's called this week)
                Gaston's Tavern
                Enchanted Tales with Belle

Not happening:
                Cinderella and Aurora chateau's

New:
                Snow White Mine Car ride on the footprint originally planned for the Cinderella and Aurora chateau's.

Snow White's Scary Adventures and the adjacent shop will close, and become the new home for the princesses and possibly fairies.

As was reported on here a few weeks ago, the area near the Skyway needs to be expanded before the Skyway is used for any type of meet and greet. In the event all that happens, I would expect a ride to go back in the place of Snow White's Scary Adventures - the theme of which seems to be unknown at this point.
                If theyre still having a princess meet n greet area, it seems like they're adding more princesses than deleting! )

Comment

I cant believe you guys are debating so calmly about the Snow White attraction being removed!
                  I mean no wonder Magic Kingdom doesn't and never will have the same magic as Disneyland.
                  The thing is, this would have been a MAJOR issue if it happens at Disneyland fans would just raged about it.
                  Where are the true Magic Kingdom park fans? Are there any?
                  Snow White was Walt's first animated film, why remove a ride that has a good (and better than Disneyland's) storyline and represents a true disney classic? I don't believe that a "mine coaster" is a concept or theme to fit the "Snow White" movie. I say leave it as it is, and focus on another disney princess to do the coaster , probably "Mulan's escape" or "Pocahontas Journey" but why Snow White ? You don't mess with the classics Imagineers!
                  People , fans were are you!!!????
                  Defend this ride!

Comment

Originally posted by splash_mtn View Post
                    I cant believe you guys are debating so calmly about the Snow White attraction being removed!
                    I mean no wonder Magic Kingdom doesn't and never will have the same magic as Disneyland.
                    The thing is, this would have been a MAJOR issue if it happens at Disneyland fans would just raged about it.
                    Where are the true Magic Kingdom park fans? Are there any?
                    Snow White was Walt's first animated film, why remove a ride that has a good (and better than Disneyland's) storyline and represents a true disney classic? I don't believe that a "mine coaster" is a concept or theme to fit the "Snow White" movie. I say leave it as it is, and focus on another disney princess to do the coaster , probably "Mulan's escape" or "Pocahontas Journey" but why Snow White ? You don't mess with the classics Imagineers!
                    People , fans were are you!!!????
                    Defend this ride!
                    This ride isn't very defendable. They are going to replace it (in another location) with a modern Snow White themed ride, that will bring this classic a bit more up to date.

While the Disneyland ride has received a number of great technology updates, the MK version has not been as fortunate. Instead of backlight gem stones, we have wood flats with black light pain stones, this ride either needs to be removed or gutted and redone.

So if it is removed I won't miss it. I will ride it when I visit the Disneyland resort (same with Toad).
                    Last edited by KingEric; 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM. Reason: being more specific.
                    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Oh that toad comment hurt. I never had a chance to ride this in WDW. On my 1st trip to DL (2009) this was the first thing I was dying to ride. While technologically, this is by no means an amazing ride, there is a certain spirit to it which makes it a damn good ride.

The same with Snow. There is a certain darkness to this ride that I think is really unique. While WDW may have a better story, DL's looks so much better. So maybe instead of backing a new ride, there should be some support for the upkeep of the existing one.

I just don't see the mine car ride as a good option for the character or the land.

Comment

I'm not supporting it because I can go ride a better (though shortened) version in California. I'd rather see it replaced by a Sleeping Beauty Dark Ride.
                        -Bill

Comment

I'm not supporting it because I can go ride a better (though shortened) version in California. I'd rather see it replaced by a Sleeping Beauty Dark Ride.

Or the Alice Ride that they have out in Cali...from what I remember that ride was lots of fun
                          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                          -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                            This ride isn't very defendable. They are going to replace it (in another location) with a modern Snow White themed ride, that will bring this classic a bit more up to date.

While the Disneyland ride has received a number of great technology updates, the MK version has not been as fortunate. Instead of backlight gem stones, we have wood flats with black light pain stones, this ride either needs to be removed or gutted and redone.

So if it is removed I won't miss it. I will ride it when I visit the Disneyland resort (same with Toad).
                            I'm beginning to see a recurring pattern.
                            Motor Mania!:yea:

Comment

Originally posted by Spacoli View Post
                              I'm beginning to see a recurring pattern.
                              I personally don't want to see the disney parks as a museum. I want it to always have incredibly immersive experiences that offer true escapism.

Right now the BEST escapism experience in a park environment is at Discovery Cove. the 2nd best is the Wizarding World at Islands of Adventure.

I want this fantasyland upgrade to really up the ante here in Orlando.
                              Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Snow White's Scary Adventures is not a good attraction. Sure, people like it, but it's not a good attraction. It's sheer existance and relevance is purely for nostalgia purposes. They could have updated it with an extensive refurbishment, but it seems they feel that a Mine Car ride is a better option.

They have lessened the scope of the princess meet and greets to accomodate this. I would expect a more traditional meet and greet with the princesses instead of watching Cinderella in a changing room.

I also expect the Snow White's Scary Adventures (and adjacent shop) to house a temporary meet and greet. However, as us Disney Fan Boys know, Mickey's Starland/Birthdayland/Toontown Fair was a temporary land that will wind up lasting 22 years when all is said and done.

The possibility exists that the Snow White's Scary Adventures could ultimately house a new dark ride, but right now I'm not holding my breath. I do know that certain accomodations/considerations are being placed in the construction of the meet and greet locale to facilitate an easier transition back to a dark ride building.

Comment

^ Just curious. Do you think it is a bad attraction because it has not been maintained or because it is fundamentally flawed at its core? Have you been to DL and do you consider their version a bad attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
                                    ^ Just curious. Do you think it is a bad attraction because it has not been maintained or because it is fundamentally flawed at its core? Have you been to DL and do you consider their version a bad attraction?
                                    It's a bad attraction because it's dated, and it shows it. The calliber of animatronics is horrible, and it's technically an AA driven attraction. The same could have been said about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - I miss that ride, as I'm sure some will miss Snow White's Scary Adventures. However, the attraction that replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has more substance. Sure, Winnie the Pooh isn't a particularly elaborate ride, but it's definitely a notch above what it replaced.

Back to Snow White, I actually think the story is a bit more logical than Disneyland's version. In Disneyland, it seems like the which drops a rock on you and then the ride is over. Disney World's version at least has an end.

It should be noted that I have not seen the new additions to Disneyland version as they weren't in place when I was there in May. I've heard positive things about it though.

Comment

It's a bad attraction because it's dated, and it shows it. The calliber of animatronics is horrible, and it's technically an AA driven attraction. The same could have been said about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - I miss that ride, as I'm sure some will miss Snow White's Scary Adventures. However, the attraction that replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has more substance. Sure, Winnie the Pooh isn't a particularly elaborate ride, but it's definitely a notch above what it replaced.

Back to Snow White, I actually think the story is a bit more logical than Disneyland's version. In Disneyland, it seems like the which drops a rock on you and then the ride is over. Disney World's version at least has an end.

It should be noted that I have not seen the new additions to Disneyland version as they weren't in place when I was there in May. I've heard positive things about it though.
                                      I don't know that I agree that Pooh is a better ride than toad. Technologically it is more complex. But as an experience, I don't think it is nearly as clever or as fun. Had the pooh replacement been a bit closer to Japan's version there might be a case. I guess this is where my concern is. If you are replacing a ride it can't just add new technology. The technology must be in service to the experience and add something new to the park as a whole. The mine ride concept just doesn't seem compelling and it has already been done (within the same park).

Comment

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
                                        I don't know that I agree that Pooh is a better ride than toad. Technologically it is more complex. But as an experience, I don't think it is nearly as clever or as fun. Had the pooh replacement been a bit closer to Japan's version there might be a case. I guess this is where my concern is. If you are replacing a ride it can't just add new technology. The technology must be in service to the experience and add something new to the park as a whole. The mine ride concept just doesn't seem compelling and it has already been done (within the same park).
                                        It's a point of debate about Pooh vs. Toad. I made a tribute video to Toad - I love Toad, I miss Toad. I think Pooh is a more impressive attraction. Neither was particularly elaborate, Pooh just benefits from access to slightly more modern technology.

An appropriate comparison from the other perspective for me would be Horizons to Mission: SPACE. I'm not a fan of Mission: SPACE. I go on the wuss version if I go at all, and I'm far from heartbroken if I miss it. Horizons was a favorite of mine growing up, and was an E-Ticket in it's day. It was replaced by an attraction that while technologically superior, is not as impressive in size and scope (in my opinion). I understand the change, but I don't have to like it.

Back to Pooh/Toad - My preference would have been to bring Toad into the 21st century. You mentioned the Honey Hunt trackless system that everyone mentions when Pooh is brought up. I actually feel that it's implementation would be better with Mr. Toad's wild ride. Having said all that, we all should know why that change was made. It's on the epitaph on the Mr. Toad statue in the Haunted Mansion Pet Cemetary.

Here Lies Toad
                                        It's Sad but True
                                        He wasn't as marketable
                                        As Winnie the Pooh
                                        A Snow White Mine Car attraction makes sense. I'm looking forward to it because in my opinion, Snow White's Scary Adventures is the weakest ride in Fantasyland. I actually think it was a weaker ride than Mr. Toad, and that's been closed for 12 years. That space can be used for the Princess Meet and Greets, and then repurposed into a more modern ride. An upgrade of sorts like Toad to Pooh. I would expect the same ride system for whatever ride ultimately takes up shop in the SWSA location, but it would be new nonetheless.

Comment

It's a point of debate about Pooh vs. Toad. I made a tribute video to Toad - I love Toad, I miss Toad. I think Pooh is a more impressive attraction. Neither was particularly elaborate, Pooh just benefits from access to slightly more modern technology.

An appropriate comparison from the other perspective for me would be Horizons to Mission: SPACE. I'm not a fan of Mission: SPACE. I go on the wuss version if I go at all, and I'm far from heartbroken if I miss it. Horizons was a favorite of mine growing up, and was an E-Ticket in it's day. It was replaced by an attraction that while technologically superior, is not as impressive in size and scope (in my opinion). I understand the change, but I don't have to like it.

Back to Pooh/Toad - My preference would have been to bring Toad into the 21st century. You mentioned the Honey Hunt trackless system that everyone mentions when Pooh is brought up. I actually feel that it's implementation would be better with Mr. Toad's wild ride. Having said all that, we all should know why that change was made. It's on the epitaph on the Mr. Toad statue in the Haunted Mansion Pet Cemetary.

A Snow White Mine Car attraction makes sense. I'm looking forward to it because in my opinion, Snow White's Scary Adventures is the weakest ride in Fantasyland. I actually think it was a weaker ride than Mr. Toad, and that's been closed for 12 years. That space can be used for the Princess Meet and Greets, and then repurposed into a more modern ride. An upgrade of sorts like Toad to Pooh. I would expect the same ride system for whatever ride ultimately takes up shop in the SWSA location, but it would be new nonetheless.
                                          I'm going to have to disagree with SWSA being the weakest attraction at Fantasyland. As of right now, I feel like Peter Pan is the weakest. Sure, the flying over London part is cool and all, but it really need some major loving and perhaps some reimaginering.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X